chapter 7: jeongyeon encounters her ex (and somehow tzuyu is there too)

it's a loaf story

It’s been a busy few days for Jeongyeon. Besides the recent upsurge in customers at the bakery (which was a welcome development), she had to deal with her thesis too. It was pretty rough, but with a little bit of elbow grease, she knew she could push through. At the end of the day though, it still left her tuckered out. Her mom already insisted that she work less hours at the bakery so she could focus on her thesis more, but stubborn as she is, she refused to do so. She didn’t want to overwork her mom because she thought that was the least she could do to repay all her mom’s hard work.

 

She pondered this as she was walking home after her last class for the night had ended, with the cool evening air calming her nerves as it breezed past. Seems like Ma was right. Maybe I do need a bit of a break, she thought. I don’t think it would hurt to take in some fresh air. 

 

After thinking about it for a moment, she decided to take a detour and head to the nearby park. It wasn’t too far from where she was and not too far from home either, so it wasn’t too much of a hassle to go there. She sent a text to her mom about her small detour and began heading there. It’s been a while since I last hung out there too, she thought as she walked. Not since Nayeon and I broke up a few years ago.

 

She used to hang out with Nayeon at that park almost all the time, spending their time talking into the wee hours of the night. But, sadly, things didn't end well between them, and soon they grew distant. It wasn’t that she actively avoided the place, since she often passed by when she was out doing chores. It was just a matter of moving on, even though they didn't exactly have proper closure.

 

I wonder how she’s doing now… She wondered as she sat down at their favorite spot: the bench under the biggest tree in the park. Ah, what am I thinking. The past is in the past and it should stay there.

 

She spent a good bit of time there just taking in the peace and quiet. Besides the occasional passerby, there was nobody else there besides her. That was until she heard a few voices coming from her far right, and one voice prevailed over the others: a voice that sounded all too familiar. 

 

Nayeon. 

 

Almost as if her thoughts somehow tempted fate, her past was now walking towards her with a few new friends in tow. She looked over to them and saw them approaching, and much to her surprise, another familiar face was there too. 

 

Tzuyu?



---------



Tzuyu did not think her night would go like this.

 

She decided to go to the library to study after her last class for the day because Dahyun said that she and Chaeyoung needed some “alone time” at the dorm, whatever that meant. Then, as she was leaving the library after a few hours of studying, she ran into Nayeon and Mina again. She had formed somewhat of a friendship with them after attending their student support group to help her deal with her homesickness, so when they said they were heading out to eat, she asked if she could tag along and they happily agreed. 

 

After dinner, they decided to take a walk, and that’s how she ended up in the park with them, since it was along the way home and she hadn’t seen the place before. It just so happened that Jeongyeon was there too. Something seemed off about her, though. When she noticed them approaching, a wistful look replaced her usual cool demeanor. 

 

“Nayeon.” Jeongyeon said simply as they arrived 

 

“Jeongyeon.” Nayeon replied dryly as well.

 

What’s going on? Tzuyu thought as they stopped a few feet away from Jeongyeon. 

 

“Been a while, huh?” Jeongyeon said.

 

“Yeah. Didn’t think I’d see you here.” Nayeon responded. “And at our old spot too.”

 

“Our” old spot? Tzuyu wondered. Oh crap, do they have history together?

 

"I figured I needed some fresh air." Jeongyeon responded. "What brings you here?"

 

"Well, we were just on our way home." Nayeon answered before turning around to leave. “Maybe we should get going then-” 

 

“W-wait.” Jeongyeon said as she stood up. “Nayeon, I just need to ask-”

 

“Ask what? It’s been a few years now, Jeong.” Nayeon interrupted. “I’m sure there’s nothing left to talk about.”

 

“Please.” Jeongyeon pleaded, trying to mask the hurt in her voice. “I... I know things didn’t work out but-” 

 

“Yes, I know, and I’m sorry it had to be like that, but what’s done is done. We can go on with our own lives now.” Nayeon said, cutting her off again. “I think we should all go home too. It’s getting pretty late.” 

 

“What about you, Tzuyu?” She asked as she turned around to leave with Mina.

 

“I umm, I’m actually gonna split off from here. Our dorm’s off in the other direction. Take care, you two!” Tzuyu replied. 

 

“Okay, you stay safe too.” Mina replied, looking back as they left. Tzuyu could see the sympathetic look on her face, meaning that she must’ve understood what happened to some extent. Nayeon must’ve explained it to her, she thought.

 

Tzuyu looked back to see Jeongyeon with her face buried in her hands, and out of instinct, rushed to sit by her side to try and comfort her.

 

“Hey Jeongyeon, you alright?” She asked as she sat down, placing a reassuring hand on Jeongyeon’s back.

 

Jeongyeon took a moment to compose herself as she sat up straight again and tried to speak. “Y-yeah, I just umm… need to take a moment to get myself together. I-i’ll be fine.”

 

“Okay.” Tzuyu replied, taking her hand off her back as they sat there in silence. After a few minutes, Tzuyu spoke again. “If you need to get anything off your chest, I’m here.”

 

“T-thanks.” Jeongyeon said before she heaved a deep sigh. “I’m guessing you can already tell that Nayeon and I aren’t on good terms.”

 

“Yeah, umm, is it okay if I ask why?” Tzuyu said. “You don’t have to if you’re not comfortable though.”

 

Jeongyeon rested her arms on her knees before speaking. “I’m gonna be honest with you, I really don’t feel like reopening old wounds tonight, so uh, thanks for understanding.”

 

They spent a few more minutes in silence before Tzuyu worked up the guts to ask another question. “So, umm, this place.” Tzuyu said as she looked around. “Seems like it means a lot to you, huh?”

 

“Yep. Used to spend a lot of time here with umm... with Nayeon.” Jeongyeon answered. “Easily some of the best moments I’ve ever had before things all went south.”

 

“I can’t imagine how bad that must’ve been” Tzuyu remarked.

 

“Oh it , like, really . But, well, now that I think about it, I guess she was right.” Jeongyeon said, sighing as she looked up to the night sky. “What’s done is done.”

 

“Ah, no use sulking over it now. It’s been a few years already and I’m too tired for this crap.” Jeongyeon continued.

 

“Oh, should we get going then?” Tzuyu asked. “So you can get some rest?”

 

“Nah, I came here to unwind a little before...well...before that happened.” Jeongyeon answered as she sat up straight again before facing Tzuyu. “So umm, I’m gonna stay for a little longer. You can go if you have to-”

 

“N-no!” Tzuyu interrupted. “I mean, I uhh, I’m not in a hurry to head back. Besides, I could use some fresh air too.”

 

Jeongyeon smiled warmly as she sat back in the bench. “It’s your first time here, right?”

 

Tzuyu nodded in reply. “It’s a bit out of the way from the route back to the dorm, so I never really knew this was here.”

 

“Well, now you know.” Jeongyeon said before looking back at Tzuyu again and smiling. She could only smile back as she processed what was going on.

 

Oh my God, her smile... This is probably the happiest I’ve been since classes started. I don’t wanna jinx it, but I guess I’ll just see where this goes. 

 

---------

 

“Where have you been, Tzuyu?” Dahyun asked immediately after opening the door for her. “Chaeyoung and I were getting worried!”

 

“You two stayed up waiting for me?” Tzuyu asked, not answering Dahyun’s question right away.

 

“Uhh, no, we were watching a movie and cuddling on the couch when we noticed the time.” Chaeyoung answered from behind Dahyun. “But, yeah, we were a bit worried.”

 

“There’s nothing to worry about, you two. I was just at a park getting some fresh air. It’s a bit of a walk to get there but it isn’t too far.” Tzuyu responded as she entered, trying hard to conceal a smile (and failing to do so).

 

“Hey, what’s with the crazy smile on your face?” Dahyun said as she closed the door. “The last time you smiled like that was-”

 

Chaeyoung gasped in realization. “-was when we were with Jeongyeon!”

 

“I was gonna say when Chaeyoung ate that pepper that one time to prove she was tough, but I guess Jeongyeon fits the bill too.” Dahyun continued.

 

Tzuyu was in no place to deny anything at that moment, so she just nodded in confirmation of Chaeyoung’s statement. “Oh my God, Tzuyu! What were you doing there with her?!” Chaeyoung continued.

 

“N-nothing! We didn’t do anything. We just talked.” Tzuyu answered. “Happy now?”

 

“Sure, when you tell me everything.” Chaeyoung prodded as she dragged Tzuyu to the couch. “Don’t spare any details, or I’ll be very disappointed.”

 

“We literally just talked, Chae.” Tzuyu said. “But umm, remember Nayeon from the student support group I’m attending?”

 

“Uh huh. The one with the pretty girlfriend- ow! What was that for?” Chaeyoung said as Dahyun hit her on her arm.

 

“Uhh, because you’re calling someone else’s girlfriend pretty?” Dahyun responded.

 

“Oh come on, I know you think she’s pretty too.” Chaeyoung retorted.

 

“Well, you’re not wrong, but that’s not what we’re talking about right now. Tzuyu, please continue.” Dahyun said.

 

“Okay, so, I decided to go get dinner with them, right? And then after that while we were walking, we came across the park, and Jeongyeon was there. But then she and Nayeon had a bit of a confrontation, and can you believe that Nayeon was Jeongyeon’s ex?”

 

“And Mina was there too? Oh snap, that’s gotta be rough.” Dahyun remarked.

 

“Yeah, and Jeongyeon looked like she wasn’t doing too well after that so I decided to stay behind.” Tzuyu continued.

 

“Damn, Tzuyu. I didn’t know you had it in you!” Chaeyoung added as she pat Tzuyu on the back.

 

“Come on, it just felt like the right thing to do, you know? She was tired and sad after that encounter with Nayeon.” Tzuyu said. “And then, she kinda opened up a bit to me.”

 

“Then, umm, after a lot of talking, when we were gonna go our separate ways, she gave me a hug before leaving.” Tzuyu added.

 

Chaeyoung and Dahyun both squealed in excitement at this development, so much so that Tzuyu needed to calm them down before she could continue talking.

 

“Hey, come on, it was just a friendly gesture!” She said. 

 

“Admit it, you totally loved it, didn’t you?” Chaeyoung prodded.

 

“I mean, it was nice but-”

 

“Then you did! Oh my God, Tzuyu, I’m so happy for you.” Chaeyoung interrupted.

 

“Aww, that’s adorable. Looks like things are looking up for you, huh?” Dahyun said before letting out a big yawn. “I think it’s time we hit the hay. I still have an 8 am lecture tomorrow.”

 

“Yeah, it’s past midnight already.” Chaeyoung said as she checked the time. “You should get a lot of rest, since you’ve got a lot of juicy things to tell us.”

 

“Looking forward to it...” Tzuyu replied dryly as she went over to turn off the TV. 

 

Tzuyu did not think her night would go like this, but she definitely wasn’t gonna complain.