Looking Up

Embers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

from brat
hey!!!!
it's a national holiday
i heard even government work is off.
come by the shop?
we're technically
closed
too
but open
for you
sent 8:07am

from smol bun 💖
oh what he fck i jsut woe uip
sent 11:23am

 

from brat
no worries
that's cool
sooooo???????
sent 11:23am

 


from smol bun 💖
hold up
i'm in the shower rn
i'll swing by in
ten?
sent 11:24am

 

from brat
👀
i'll wait
sent 11:24am

 

That was how Yongsun found herself in the kitchen of Moonbyul and Irene's bakeshop, in an apron, and arms covered in flour.

 

It had only been about five or ten minutes since she arrived and the baker told her right off the bat that she was going to teach her to make her favorite almond blanc.

 

The weather outside wasn't gloomy or too bright and hot–the clouds were just overcast the city and it was Yongsun's epitome of the perfect weather.

 

"Now add the remaining bread flour, do not mix it. Yong. Do not mix it." Moonbyul had never been this assertive with her, and maybe it was because she was in her element and baking was her forte more than it was the firefighter's.

 

Do not mix it, Yongsun. She places the plastic wrap over the bowl after successfully not mixing the flour in.

 

"We'll come back to that in twenty minutes, here, we need to make the white chocolate filling in the meanwhile. There's really not much to this than melting some candy melts over hot water," the baker instructs her, turning on the gas stove and placing a pot filled with water over it.

 

"So while you're doing that, I'll be thinly slicing some almonds," she adds, shaking the bowl of roasted almonds in her hand, making Yongsun laugh.

 

"How do you and Irene survive making so many different breads in so little hours?" she finds herself asking as she peeked into the pot where a glass bowl of white chocolate candy melts was floating.

 

"Well, usually we wake up at 5AM and open by 8AM. Through the years, there's just been some unspoken roles between us such as for a lot of recipes, I'll be kneading and she'll be mixing and that work division makes it more efficient," Moonbyul answers, effortlessly slicing the almonds thinly. Beads of sweat were already forming on her forehead regardless of her long blonde hair being in a messy ponytail which Yongsun doubted she usually sported for work.

 

"Oh! That reminds me, I had to tell you but it slipped my mind." The baker starts to laugh as she slides the sliced almonds onto a small glass bowl. The firefighter looks up at her expectantly, retrieving the melted white chocolate with a pair of tongs and turning off the stove right after.

 

"You ever slept with somebody else? I mean you know, not like, you know. But slept as in the way we did last week." She was leaning against the counter now, facing Yongsun and eyes only on her.

 

"No, not really. Why?" The answer came with a soft shake of her head and her eyebrows were furrowing. As a teenager, she had never really experienced sleepovers for lack of actual friends until she was in college. And even then, she had stayed at her older sister's apartment before she went to live in England.

 

"Well because, not to sound creepy or anything, but you fell asleep before I did and I was just watching you until I could. And, to my surprise, you were running your fingers through your hair!" Moonbyul stifled a laugh, and embarrassment crept up to Yongsun almost immediately. It was somewhat bearable; at least she didn't talk or walk in her sleep.

 

"Yah, how do I know you're not lying to me right now?" Yongsun puffs her cheeks, lips shaped in a pout. It was what she feared when the baker shakes her head and grabs her cellphone from the pocket of her apron.

 

On the screen was Yongsun asleep, black locks bunched in her fist. Thank God she didn't have open or something of the like. At the picture, she playfully punches the baker on her arm, which she flinches at.

 

"Oh, the dough is ready," the blonde girl reaches for the ringing kitchen timer among all the other colored kitchen timers

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter