Fire Out

Embers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Only two years after their shop had opened were Irene and Moonbyul able to install a small television, which was mounted on the left side of the wall just five minutes ago.

Moonbyul's mind wandered to her and Yongsun's date three days ago, a smile making its way to her face. Irene nudges her with her elbow and she clicks her tongue at her, clutching the bowl of batter she was mixing tighter.

"Yah, don't give me that attitude. Your girlfriend's on tv." Irene points out with her pouted lips, going back into the kitchen shortly after. The blonde girl looks up at the television, confirming it to be true.

"By the way, she is not my girlfriend!" She cries out and hears a booming laughter.

"Well not yet, anyway!"

Moonbyul rolls her eyes at the remark, though she could only pray it were true.

"The residential fire was reported to have been started by a gas leak and a scented candle while all the members of the household were asleep." Yongsun's eyes were sunken; she hadn't come by the shop earlier this morning.

Ah right, the fire in the news at late night had to be the same one. So it meant Yongsun had been working on putting out the fire since 2AM. Moonbyul couldn't help but feel pity for the girl, but her words rang true. This was the cost of their jobs.

--*--

She had been awake for about fifteen hours, though time was ever so still and it felt like seconds were days. Her body felt like every muscle had weights and her eyes felt the heaviest they'd ever been. It was a miracle she was even still doing her job right now.

Yongsun was working on a single can of an energy drink as fuel, pulling at the hose with all of her bodily strength and willpower.

It went on like that for hours she couldn't even count, running around and calling colleagues to certain locations and putting out about five different fires in the area. The black-haired girl must have answered to at least eight news reporters now, but all of this wasn't out of place for a normal day at work. She just wished it would've been at a better time of day, not that housefires had to have a schedule.

"Fire out at 5PM, exactly 15 hours after start of fire." The captain's words echoed and rang in Yongsun's head, the effect worsened by the megaphone. God, this had to be her worst migraine in years. She spots Chorong, her bestfriend and colleague, making her way over to her, fire helmet already in hand.

Yongsun was sure she looked the same, if not worse, than the brown-haired girl whose face was stained with spots of ash and dust. They also must've smelled like smoke too, without a doubt.

"Hey, you coming to barbecue?" Chorong asks, her face scrunched up in a tired expression. Yongsun is quick to shake her head, climbing up a firetruck whose engine was already being revved up by one of their coworkers.

"Thank you for your hard work!" Some of the residents and the press bade goodbye as their truck drove off back to their station.

"I'm having a horrible headache and my body's crying out for a shower and at least a fifteen minute nap." She mutters, biting back a yawn in the middle of the sentence. Chorong places a firm hand on her shoulder and nods.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter