Favorite

Embers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Saving lives had always been what Yongsun thought she'd be doing in the future even as a child. She would always disregard the fact that that scope was too big in the later years of her life, and ultimately decided that she would become a firefighter.

Now at 25 and being a successful firefighter for already two years in a row, it felt right in her soul.

Though of course, the job would have its downsides. That meant even though you'd try your best, you'd risk your life, you still can't save everybody.

Across the fire station was all of the firefighters' favorite household bakery. It was owned by a charming blonde girl who lived on the second floor of the building.

All of her colleagues knew very well, what with all the teasing, that the two of them would restlessly flirt with each other whenever Yongsun was a customer. Some of them would envy her for getting fresh batches and more fillings in her pastries; on better days, she would get the best brew of coffee too.

"Good morning, hot stuff. Get it? 'Cause you're a firefighter?" The blonde cracks a joke, one end of her lips in a lopsided smile.

Yongsun rolls her eyes playfully, fighting the butterflies in her stomach that she couldn't help but have whenever the baker was around.

"Mhm, Moonbyul, I get it. It's not the first time you've made that joke. What's cooking?" The black-haired girl asks across the counter, shifting her weight on her right leg.

"Seriously, Yongsun-ssi? Two years and you act like you don't know the smell of your favorite bread?!" Moonbyul feigns the expression of being offended, turning her back to check on the kitchen.

"Ah, you could just tell me instead of being on your high horse! And didn't I tell you to drop the formalities? Also, how do you even know what my favorite bread is? What, you got a crush on me or something, Byul-ah?" The firefighter teases, raising an eyebrow at her when she comes back around, a metal tray full of oval-shaped bread with almonds on top and white chocolate filling in between in her hands.

"Why yes I do, in fact, I've been waiting to profess my undying love you, Kim Yongsun-ssi!" The baker muses exaggeratedly, even adding heart-thumping actions. Yongsun can only laugh at the silly girl's antics, which was nothing out of the ordinary for her. Moonbyul had always been like that.

"C'mon, Yong. You know you're my favorite girl. How could I not know your favorites?" Moonbyul shakes her head, throwing a playful fist that was still in an oven mitt at Yongsun's arm.

"Aish. Look at this kid." Yongsun scolds jokingly, glaring at the girl across the counter. She was trying to pull up her bravado, being older and a professional, but couldn't bite back the smile or fight off the blush in her cheeks.

"You're calling me a kid all of a sudden? You know our birthdays are only three months apart!"

"Whatever, I'm still older than you. And I'm a person in uniform, ah, wait a second. That reminds me I should be going in a few. Could I get one almond blanc and a cafe latte? Sorry. Should've told you about the coffee sooner."

Time had been running without the two of them noticing. Their in-person conversations would always be cut short due to the obvious fact that Yongsun needed to be out there.

"What do you mean tell me sooner? You mean this coffee?" Moonbyul says extravagantly, pulling a paper cup from the coffee bar behind the counter and placing it in front of Yongsun. The firefighter gasps, holding onto it and looking up gratefully at the baker.

"Ah really, Byul-ah. Thank you so much," the older girl bows her head slightly as Moonbyul completes her order with an almond blanc in a plastic wrap.

"I told you! You're my favorite girl. I know your orders like the back of my hand. And don't worry. It's on me." Moonbyul winks, placing the tray back on display.

"You never let me pay for anything, seriously!" The firefighter says annoyedly, because it was true and she could provide. Rent could be expensive and she could do more than pay for what she orders in the shop.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter