CHAPTER ONE: THE BEGINNING

The Mirror

THE BEGINNING

"JUNG YIBYUL! AREN'T YOU WAKING UP?! IT'S ALREADY HALF PAST 8!!" Yibyul opened her eyes wide hearing her brother's loud voice from downstairs. "Shoot shoot shoot! I'm late!" She got herself ready, took all the stuff needed and rushed down to take a bite of her breakfast made by Yihan. "BYE!" Bid her precious three years gap brother before running with all her might to the bustop.

She managed to board the bus as she picked up her phone that went ringing for quite a while.

:Hello?
:YAH! WHERE ARE YOU!
:Oh my- I'M ON MY WAY!
:WE SO NEED TO BE IN MISS KIM'S CLASS SO BETTER BE HURRY!
:AYE AYE CAPTAIN!!

Tiptoeing on the bus, getting impatient with the speed of the bus that does not help at all. "Come on, come on." Yibyul bit her lips while anxiously checking the time from her phone. It had always been a dream of hers to be in the class of a lecture that became the talk of the town, whom they call Miss Kim, a middle aged woman who known to be the best  lecturer among all. Once the bus halted, she ran with all her might to the main hall.

With Eunmyung, the person who called earlier waved at her with her other hand stretched out just to book a place for Yibyul. It was just right at that moment when she arrived at her seat that the person incharge asked them to register their name into the class they wanted to be in. CLICK CLICK CLICK, "OH YES! I GOT IN!" Eunmyung shouted. "Oh my gosh what is wrong with this mouse?!" Yibyul clicked over and over again, but it only appeared to be error. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes before clicking it again. Hearing Eunmyung shouted, she opened her eyes and saw 'Registered in Kim Myunghee's Class'

after all, the years they spend as a hardcore fangirl paid off.

The two of them went to the nearby cafe after registering. Finally able to take a break, Yibyul let out a sigh of relief. Eunmyung came with two drinks as she sat down across Yibyul who somehow looks like she just had a fight.

"You seriously need to rest." Eunmyung stated as she handed Yibyul her drinks. "You have no idea." Already giving Eunmyung a restless expression, Yibyul slightly yawned before taking a sip on her drinks. "Is it because of you unpacked things till late at night or what?" Eunmyung asked, already curious about the restless look on Yibyul.

Yibyul and Yihan in fact just moved the day before as Yihan was offered a job in a Marketing Company in Seoul. It was hard for them to make the decision to move out from their old house since they shared a lot of memories with their parents. They were caught in a tragic car crash while on their way back from celebrating Yibyul's 17th birthday. Yihan was the first one to gain conscious, but unfortunately he was greeted with the news about the passing of both parents and his sister in coma state where she woke up after 2 weeks.

"Should I, no.." Yibyul took a sip of her drinks before putting on a serious face, looking directly at Eunmyung. "...I SHOULD visit the mental hospital." Eunmyung blinked. "I kept on hearing things like someo- no, not one but I heard a lot of voices early this morning!" Placed her green tea on the table aggressively as she facepalmed herself. "Yah, I think you're just tired. You're probably tired of the long ride from Busan to Seoul." Eunmyung stated, making sure she succeed in calming the girl who's condition worsened just by looking at her pale face. But Yibyul stayed quiet. Yibyul normally will go 'no i don't think so!' but this time, she stared at Eunmyung with a thinking expression.

"Are you..erm..okay?" Eunmyung narrowed her eyebrows, concerned about Yibyul. "Yah, Tae Eunmyung." Yibyul bit her lips. "I think, the mirror talked to me."

 

At home,

"Byul, I will be coming home late tonight. Will you be fine?" Yihan walked to his sister who just finished placing the groceries they bought to their respective place. Hearing Yihan as she sat down on the sofa in the living room, it was as if she stopped breathing, her gaze went straight to the stairs that lead to her room. "Byul?" Yihan called out. Yibyul snapped back to reality and gave Yihan a wide smile. "Aey oppa, I'll be fine. I'm a grown up!" Assured her brother that everything will be fine, Yihan patted her head. "You'll always be a baby in my eyes." Yihan joked as he went upstairs after messing his sister's hair. Yibyul rolled her eyes playfully.

'I'll be fine.' She placed her palm on her chest.

The moment Yihan left the house, Yibyul decided to wait for her brother as she watched her favourite show downstairs. By the time her fav show ended, it was already 11. Just when she was about to call Yihan, a text from him came.

'Byul, I won't be coming home tonight, make sure you lock the door. If anything happens, call me. Love ya.' [message from Yihan Oppa]

She went up only to find herself hesitating to go in. Her hand was already holding the knob to her room but she was too afraid to actually go in. "Okay, I can do this!" Giving herself a nod as she sighed. She opened the door and walked into her room but stopped again. 'Okay, I'll just sleep at Yihan oppa's room.' She turned around and was about to walk out from the room, until she heard something that made her stop walking out.

"Oh there she is!" She turned her head to the mirror. 'The same voice?' She thought to herself. Being the curious one, she approached the mirror. A gasp was heard from the mirror that made her wanted to find out about it.

"H-hyung, I think she noticed us." She gulped. She was sure of it, sure of the voice really came from the mirror. Finally standing infront of the mirror, she stared at her own reflection. Although she was sure that the voice came from the mirror, she had doubt. She thought that maybe she might have really gone crazy during her process of moving on from the tragic incident that happened to her family. She sighed. The room became quiet once again. Even when she was sure that she heard voices coming from the mirror, she decided to snap out of it and get herself ready to sleep.

But once again, a voice came out from the mirror once again. It was different compared to the voice she heard before.

"Jung Yibyul?"

As if Yibyul stopped breathing, and without realizing, a tear escaped from her eye.

"Can you, see us?"