The Extra One

That One Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YUJIN busted into a loud laugh after I finally took off Heung-min from her. Our dog is probably really excited to see other people in the house that he jumped to Yujin right after seeing her. Yujin might be tall but out Heung-min is a huge dog that he managed to send Yujin to the floor.

“Heungmin-ah! Calm down, please!” I shouted at my dog who still wants to go to Yujin. The girl just laughed at the sight of me trying to calm down my pet.

“Heungmin, huh?” She laughed. “I can’t believe you named your dog after a soccer player!”

“How did you know?” I asked. How did she know that we named our pet after the soccer player, Son Heungmin?

“He is very popular, right? Also, Minjoo is a big fan of soccer and she always talk about that certain player. I guess he is really popular to girls as well.” Yujin then stood up and dusted herself off of Heungmin’s fur. She then came towards me and Heungmin and started patting my dog’s head. Heungmin, feeling euphoric with the human touch, just let Yujin pat his head.

“He is a very nice dog. So friendly.” Yujin commented while looking at Heungmin with those soft eyes.

“Heungmin is friends with everyone. He doesn’t really bark that much.” I explained. “Do you want to eat something? I will order some pizza.”

“Oh~ Pizza~” Her eyes were literally glittering after hearing the word pizza. “Sure, let me pay for it.”

“Why? You are my visitor.”

“It’s not like you invited me. I technically forced my way in.” And there it goes again, the lurking sadness in her eyes that even her smile couldn’t hide. “Can we speak in English now? It is hard to talk in—”

“Let’s continue talking like this.” I firmly said. Her pronunciation might be a bit off but her grammar doesn’t have that much of a problem. I think she’s actually really good at it. “I can help you practice. You can speak English only when you can’t express yourself in Korean.”

I watched her let out a deep sigh. “Why do I even have to come back here anyway?”

Somehow, I felt how heavy that sigh was. That statement has a deeper meaning into it. I thought that having food in the middle of this conversation would make things a bit lighter and better so I quickly ordered some pizza.

While we were waiting, I turned the TV on and have Yujin watch whatever is being aired but she doesn’t seem like she’s interested to it. She just continued playing with Heungmin. And with that, the pizza arrived.

 

“So, you grew up in the states?” I asked while munching pizza, my favorite Hawaiian pizza~

“Yeah.” She answered, I can see that she’s enjoying the pizza. “We moved there ever since I was two years old so I don’t really have that much of memories about Korea.”

“What made you come back?” It feels like it is becoming an interview but why not? She came here to spend time talking with me anyway.

“Well, my mum passed away months after we moved to Chicago and that was when I was still two years old." She then

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter