(No) Empty Promises

Dynamic Duo

 

Yongsun realized there is one thing that people keep doing in life to make other people happy. It’s making promises. 

“We promise, we will come home earlier from work to celebrate your birthday, Yongsun-ah!” said her parents on her 10th birthday. Yet, Yongsun remembered how in the morning on 22nd February, she woke up on the sofa in her already rumpled blue dress alone. Not alone as in alone, because in a matter of 5 seconds, Yonghee had already hugged her tight while softly saying, “Sorry.” over and over again. 

No matter how warm the embrace was, the damage has done her bad. Never in her life she felt that lonely. 

“I promise, Little Yong. I'll be back as soon as I finish my education.” as Yonghee whispered it to her ear before walking towards the airport gate ecstatically. The fact that her big sister had not turned around, not even once, to look at her, Yongsun knew it was a false promise. But still, Yongsun waited for her. Even though it took exactly three years for Yonghee to remember her own words. 

“You’re the only girl that mattered to me, Yongsun. When the time is right, we’ll promise forever to each other. Don’t ever leave me.” was the worst promise that Yongsun ever heard in her life. It was from her first boyfriend that she met in her short-time college time. Their three months relationship broke as soon as Yong found out about his other girlfriend.

So, yeah, promises and Yongsun hated it. 

---

But as soon as she got into the music industry as one of the trainees in RBW Entertainment, Yongsun realized that she was expected to sing and write songs about empty promises. No matter how unrealistic it would sound, it was better than hurtful truth. Because no one needed a reminder about the harsh world they actually lived in. 

“How could someone wait forever for one specific person in their life? It was ridiculous.” snapped Yongsun while listening to one of the latest songs in their new album called ‘Destiny’. 

Byul who’s driving beside her just hummed in agreement while tapping her fingers on the steering wheel. 

Instantly, the dramatic sound of ‘Destiny’ changed into some cute melody as the song ‘Universe’ was being played. Right after her part, Yongsun groaned in frustration, “An endless journey? Yeah, right.”

“Okay. What’s wrong with you?” as the younger girl turned off the tape aggressively. “You’ve been y over every love song that you heard today and you’re still being one even when I played our own song!”

The older girl replied fast, “Nothing.”

“Nothing my , Yong.”

“It is really nothing, Byul.”

Byul decided to stop talking for a while and let the silence calm her down.“How could you be so cynical about love songs in front of me? Your own girlfriend. It makes me insecure that maybe I treated you wrong or something. I thought we were fine. Are we having problems? Be honest.”

“We lie.”

“What?”

“We keep lying to our fans. We sing love songs like I would do anything for my loved one. But, no. I couldn’t even tell the world that I’m yours. I hated it, Byul-ah.”

Yong who purposefully kept looking at the dark night sky through the car window felt hurt when no reaction came out from her girlfriend. She turned around to get her heart broken when she saw the sadness in Byul's eyes. “I’m sorry, Byul. I’m being dramatic.”

“No, you’re not. You are right.” 

Another seconds of silence, Byul repeated again softly, “You are right.”

---

Yong embraces the younger one as soon as she gets into the blanket. She held her tightly as every scenario of Byul leaving her kept playing inside her head. 

“I don’t know what to say, Yong.”

The older girl remained silent. How could the sound of Byul’s voice could calm her down so easily, Yongsun thought.  She’s here and she’s not going anywhere, Yong said internally. 

“I know you hate promises and in our situation now, I could only assure you in words. I can’t just kiss you in public and act like i don’t give a .”

“I’ll be mad as if you ever do that and you know it.”

Byul nodded. “What should I do to make you less concerned about it?”

“I don’t know but Byul-ah, I regretted everything I said on the car before, okay? So just forget it. It is my problem and my only problem. You shouldn-”

The rapper turned around and held Yong’s chubby face with both of her hands. “Our problem. Remember.” 

Yong showed her agreement by putting her hand over Byul’s. “Our problem.”

---

“Yongsun-Unnie, how’s your relationship with Byul-Unnie?” 

Hyejin asked her casually as she stirred her legendary ramyun. As Yongsun had no reaction over her question, the baby of the group eyed her in concern, “Don’t tell me you’re breaking up with her.”

“NO, no, no we’re not.”

“You scared me, Unnie.” she slurped her noodle first before saying, “Byul-Unnie looked so tired yesterday on the studio. I can’t believe she chose to make an album than take a rest first.”

Neither does Yongsun. After their heated conversation about Yongsun’s insecurity, Byul acted the same until one day she told Yong about her plan to release an album in near time. The younger one didn’t talk much about the project but kept telling Yongsun to support her no matter what. 

Which she will always do even when the other girl doesn’t ask for it. 

“She’s the same as me. She liked to be busy..” 

Hyejin sighed in disagreement, “You too, Unnie! You kept doing things and forgot to take care of yourself. What should I and Wheein do if something happened to both of you?”

“Yah, we will be fine. After all, what do you think I’m doing now?”

“Play with me?”

“Yes and it counts as resting.”

“You love me too much to consider taking care of me as resting.”

“I do. So, eat fast and let’s watch a movie before we go to sleep, Hyejin-ah.”

“Neee~”

---

“It was,” she stopped in the middle as she tried so hard to find the right word, “ so you.”

Byul clapped her hand while laughing happily. “, I’m so scared of your answer, Yong. Thank god, you think it like that.” Finally, the younger girl leaned her back into the arm of the sofa comfortably. 

Yong who’s also doing the same thing on the opposite smiled at her while taking off her earbuds, “Why?”

 “It means I’m honest with my music.”

The older girl blinked several times. 

As Byul noticed the older girl’s confusion, she decided to explain it to her. “I’ve always wanted to do music like ‘Eclipse’ but I’m so scared people won’t like it. But then, it, let me try it once.” as her smile got wider. 

In return, the older girl smiled back at her girlfriend. “I’m so happy for you, Byul-ah.”

The comfortable silence stays for a while before Byul talks again, “Yong.”

“Um.”

“It’s me being honest with my music. Even though I couldn’t help much with the lyrics because let’s face it, it’s an unspoken rule in our world, right? So, Yong, could you see it from this perspective too?”

Tears started to form on both of Yong’s eyes but she repressed it by laughing out loud. “Tell me, how could I live without you?”

Byul replied to her with a smirking smile, “You’re simply can’t, Yeba.”