The Start

Dynamic Duo

The big difference between Yongsun and Byul lies in the way they’re living their life.

 

To put it simply, Yong reasoned something with logical thoughts, while Byul determined her action based on her feelings. The older girl loves to plan, while the younger likes to do something impulsive. It applies to many things, including their love life. For a deeper explanation, it could be understood by the action that each of the individuals did at the start of their so-called more-than-friends-but-friends affair. 

 

----

 

Byul was the one that initiated the first kiss. It was such an ordinary night in Yongsun’s old apartment with an ordinary plan of spending it. Both of them sat comfortably on the couch with Byul’s head rested on Yong’s right shoulder while watching an old American Movie called It Happened One Night with three portions of Tteok-Bokki for both of them (even though two of it was Yong’s), one can of low alcohol beer for Yongsun and one bottle of Soju for Byul. 

 

None of the girls has any intention to do something that could cross the line of their friendship. 

 

Not even Byul who openly showed her overflowing feeling of the older girl since the day she realized that she could be attracted to a girl. But maybe, because of the romantic comedy genre that the movie conceived or the non-existence of Yonghee-Unnie in the apartment or no matter how this night was such an ordinary day for both of them, Byul couldn’t help but still feeling nervous whenever she felt the presence of Yong’s warmth near her. So, as soon as the woman's main character ran away from her wedding to be with someone that she wanted to spend all her life with, she kissed Yongsun on the lips. Film people would call the situation as character identification on spectators, but Byul prefers to call it love. 

 

---

 

Unlike Byul that had no plan beforehand, Yongsun did it differently. It’s been two weeks since their first kiss, but Byul was still pretending that nothing happened. At first, Yongsun thought that maybe the younger girl needed time to think. After all, it was not something that easy to choose. Because, realistically, each option has its weaknesses. On one hand, if they’re going to be an item, they had to accept that their relationship would be in secret for a very long time and being subtle wasn’t Byul’s expertise, but on the other hand, if Byul chose to not proceed her action to the next level, then they need to reconstruct whatever they have so they could function well as best friend. 

 

It was dawn. Mamamoo just finished their schedule and on their way home in the van. The two maknaes were sleeping while Byul silently scrolled her phone and ignored Yongsun that sits beside her. To tell the truth, it wasn’t hard to wait for Yongsun. Especially when being patient has always been her forever trait as a person. But, two weeks was such a long time that Yongsun has already come up with too many strategies for each option that Byul would choose. So, she did what she always did best, to choose it herself. 

 

“Yong.” said Manager-Unnie as the van stopped moving. 

 

“Let’s go, Byul.” as Yongsun walked out from the van. 

 

“I-” Byul stopped talking as she stared at Yongsun’s cold eyes. 

 

“Okay, Unnie.”

 

They walked in silence and Yongsun knew, it killed the other girl so much. She might be patient, but she’s not a very tolerant person. Especially to an escapist and Byul knew it by heart. As soon as the girl opened her door and let her guest step inside her home, she opened , “Care to talk about the kiss?” while taking off her jacket in a relaxed manner and slowly sits on the dinner table. 

 

Byul stood right in front of the front door while looking at Yongsun. An invitation to talk at the dinner table symbolizes a cold approach to discussing something. It was totally an opposite act of heart-to-heart talk that could have happened if they were sitting on the couch or bed. As her best friend for years, Yongsun was sure that the younger girl knew what it meant. 

 

“Sit.” And Byul did. 

 

The older girl let the silence embrace them both before finally taking out her notebook. She opened the page where she wrote down every pros and cons of two options that they had regarding this issue.

 

“You could see yourself that being friends is so much better option. ”

 

“I know.”

 

“So, that’s your answer?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“How could you not know?”

 

“I couldn’t do this now, Unnie.”

 

“And I thought we have the same personality. Easy going and simple-minded.” 

 

“It’s not a simple matter.”

 

“I agree.”

 

“There are so many ‘what if’ on my mind.”

 

“That should be my role, not yours.”

 

“What are you talking about, Unnie? It is ours.”

 

“Aigoo. You’re finally got it, huh?”

 

“What?”

 

“It should be our problem, but you remained silent. You erased me from this .”

 

Byul sank on her chair. “What will you choose then? I don't even know you like me back or not.”

 

“Me? Of course, as your leader, I will ask you to keep remaining as Solar’s friend. But personally, Kim Yongsun want more.”

 

Byul looked at her in shocked as the answer technically told the truth about Yongsun's feeling towards the other girl. She liked her back. Of course, she is. 

 

“B- But, it didn’t answer anything, don’t you think?”

 

“Oh, it is. I am Kim Yongsun before I became Solar. So, Yongsun will always take control. So, if Moonstar scared of the consequences, tell her to calm the down, Byul-ah.”

 

Byul just chuckled at Yongsun’s harsh words. “ Is this confession?”

 

“You could say that.”

 

“Well, can you tell Kim Yongsun-nim to make a normal confession because Moon Byul Li needs one?”

 

Solar chuckled back at the answer. “Aish, this child. Ya, Moon Byul Li, be my girlfriend?”

 

---

So, yeah, the big difference between Yong and Byul lies in the way they're living their live. But, it won't matter because they are a dynamic duo that will always find a way to stick with each other.