ᄅ⇂ ɹǝʇdɐɥƆ

Lotto Love

It had been almost a week since I'd found out about my lottery win, but it felt like an entirely new world-especially at home. My parents laughed more than they fought. My brother went to bed at a decent hour and showed his face during the day. And on his face was a smile she hadn't worn in years. The promise that in his near future he'd be completely debt-free did wonders for his mood. It probably also helped him that when I bought myself a new phone, I had bought him one as well.

"You're still going to the zoo today?" my brother asked as I came into the kitchen Saturday morning, my work shirt on.

I was still getting used to the sight of Sangmoon wide-awake in the mornings. He was standing by the toaster waiting for toast to pop up.

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked, opening the fridge for orange juice.

"Oh, I don't know . . . because you're a millionaire now and don't need to earn money."

The thought had occurred to me, but I wasn't ready to give up the zoo yet. "I like the zoo," I explained. "I want to go to the zoo. It's fun. Besides, it's the first Saturday in March so the weather is perfect."

"The weather is pretty perfect on any given Saturday. We live in Busan."

"Don't try to bring me down."

Sangmoon laughed. "I bet it would take a lot to bring you down these days."

"True."

He had his new phone out and was scrolling down the screen.

"What are you doing?"

His eyes lit up. "I'm looking at condos. I think I'm going to move out."

"Move out? Into a condo?"

"Yeah, you know, moving out is that thing kids often do when they get older and want to start living their own lives."

"No, yes, I mean that's a great idea. I just thought you wanted to move into the dorms with your friends. Go back to college."

"That was before I had money. Now I will go to college while living in an awesome condo. My friends can come to me. This will be the best."

I smiled and my heart hummed in my chest. My brother was coming back. Who said that money couldn't buy happiness? I needed to buy that person a thing or two so they'd understand.

☘ 𝔏𝔬𝔱𝔱𝔬 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢 ☘

When I got to the zoo and found Namjoon, he gave me my assignment.

"I'm going to have you clean the Farm today," he said. The Farm was a big red barn surrounded by enclosed pens, where kids could come pet and feed goats, sheep, pigs, and more. It wasn't my favorite thing to do at the zoo but, as Sangmoon had said, not much could bring me down nowadays.

"Sounds good," I said, and made my way to the Farm.

The Farm was in the midst of kiddie land. I passed the carousel on my left, its music light and bouncy as it spun a slow circle. On my right was the train ride where I could make out Taehyung prepping for its first round around the zoo.

Jimin was already at the Farm when I arrived, and I noticed two things right away. One, he held his video camera. Two, it was pointed at Rosé, who apparently was also working the Farm today.

She stood in the rabbit pen holding a handful of rabbit food. Several rabbits were eating from her palm.

"Aw. Cute," I said.

"Thanks," Jimin responded.

I smiled at him. "I was talking to the rabbits."

Rosé waved. "Hi, I'm Rosé."

She didn't know my name, I realized. "I'm Suzy."

"And I'm Jimin."

I shook my head and Rosé laughed.

The smell of the pigpens was strong this morning, and I knew the pens needed a good hose down. I'd start there is we didn't have to smell it all morning.

"You have your camera back. I take it you're un-grounded," I said to Jimin as I walked past him toward the barn.

He held it up. "I got to choose between my camera and my phone."

"And you chose your camera?"

He smiled big. "Of course. How else would I film my killer rabbit thriller?" He pointed to the rabbits that surrounded Rosé's feet. "But don't worry, I get my phone back at the end of the week for those people who need to be in constant contact with me." He winked.

My cheeks went hot. "Oh, I wasn't . . . I didn't . . . That's good."

Rosé squealed and lifted one foot. "They're tickling me. Hurry and get your shot before Namjoon comes to check on us."

"Okay, look scared," Jimin said, pointing the camera at her again.

As I slid open the door to the barn, the smell of manure was even stronger. I coughed and covered my nose with the back of my hand, then hooked up the hose.

My plan had been to tell Jimin about my lottery win. Outside of my immediate family, I'd decided to only tell my friends. And I considered Jimin a friend. But I hadn't counted on Rosé working with us this morning. The news would have to wait.

I worked for thirty minutes on the pens, spraying the dirt into the drains. Across the way, at the goats, Jimin had a shovel and was working, too. Rosé was leaning up against the fence near him, a scraper and bucket in her hand. She said something that made him laugh, then flipped her bucket over and stood on top, her arms moving in big gestures. I hadn't realized how animated Rosé was before. She was similar to Jimin in that way. I wondered if that's why they got along well.

Jimin noticed me watching and I quickly looked down.

"Suzy!" he called out.

I released the handle of the nozzle and the water stopped. "Yeah?"

"Rosé once found a rat in the goat enclosure. What's the worst thing that you've found in the Farm?"

"In the Farm?"

"Or in the whole zoo for that matter. Let's expand our criteria."

"Um . . ." I couldn't think of anything. "Animal poop?"

He laughed and Rosé jumped off her bucket.

I herded the pig behind one of the gates in his pen. He snorted at me as if he objected to this treatment. I knew he just really wanted to play in the water I was spraying. I opened the gate and he came charging into my side and straight into a puddle, using his nose to splash water in the air. I patted his head, then exited his cage, and walked back through the barn and to the outside with Jimin and Rosé.

"Okay, my find beats both of yours," Jimin said as the three of us moved on to the duck enclosure. "One time I found dentures."

"That's really disgusting," Rosé said.

"You'd think it would be, but the dirt and hay had dried them out so they seemed more like Halloween teeth."

"How do you lose dentures?" I asked, grabbing a scrub brush and scraping at some algae on the side of the small duck pool. "I mean, once they fall out, don't you search for them? I don't think those things are cheap.""I'm guessing it was someone in a wheelchair, sleeping while her grandkids played," Jimin said. "They fell out without anyone noticing and then Grandma got wheeled away. When she woke up and noticed them gone, it was too late; there were too many places to search."

"That sounds like your next film. The Case of the Missing Dentures."

He laughed. "What are you trying to say? That's not the first thing you thought of?"

"That's the only story that makes sense now."

"I agree," Rosé said.

"Speaking of stories, thanks for my awesome birthday poem written on my window," I said.

He put his hand on his chest. "You're welcome, although maybe we shouldn't insult actual poets by calling it a poem."

"Okay, how about note?"

"Note is better."

"How did your Lord of the Rings marathon with your brother go?" I asked.

"It was great. I can't decide if that's because it was the first, and only, time my mom has let watch television in a week, of it I really do think those movies are the best things ever created."

"Probably the first."

"I love those movies," Rosé said. "You should've invited me to your marathon."

"You're right. I should've made a party out of it. But I'm grounded."

Rosé was using the tool in her hand to scrape a piece of chewed-up gum off the railing while Jimin shoveled white bird dropping into a bucket.

I looked at the algae-tinted brush I held. "Forget about the worst thing we've found at the zoo. That's an easy topic. What is the best thing you've ever found in here?"

Rosé scrunched her lips in thought and Jimin dumped another shovelful into the bucket.

"Five pennies," Jimin said.

"Five pennies? How is that good?" I asked.

"It was one right after the other and they were all head-side up."

"Ah," I said. "So five times the good luck?"

"Yup. It was my luckiest day ever."

You should've played the lottery, I almost said. But I didn't say anything, just concentrated on my task.

"Has anything good ever happened to either of you in here?" Jimin asked. "I mean, not as good as my five pennies story, obviously, but a close second?"

"I get to see an anteater and her baby," I said. "Nothing tops that."

"You like the anteater?" Rosé asked.

"They're adorable."

"The anteater isn't adorable," she said. "Have you seen the thing?"

"See," Jimin said. "Rosé agrees."

I flicked my dirty brush at both of them. "Don't try to change me."

Jimin laughed.

Rosé held up a scraper full of gum. "This is my top moment for sure." She smiled at Jimin and he smiled back with his Jimin smile. The one he gave to everyone apparently.

I was glad that Rosé had worked with us today. It opened my eyes to a couple things - one, that I didn't need to tell Jimin about my lottery win. We weren't as close as I thought we were. Two, I had let myself develop a small crush on Jimin over the months. Thank goodness it was small because it was easily squashed. A crush was the last thing I needed right now, especially when it was obviously unreciprocated. I had enough craziness going on in my life right now, and I needed to focus back on school.

"And now on to my next favorite thing - cow duty," I said, leaving the two of them behind in the duck enclosure.