26th October 2016

Distance of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ignoring his father, Kyungsoo dashed off to the washroom. He needed to see it, needed to confirm that his theory might be true. The theory that he had somehow traveled back in time, because it was the only plausible explanation as to how this was all happening.

Kyungsoo gasped once he saw his own reflection in the mirror. He was definitely visibly younger. After all, the last time he recalled, Kyungsoo was a married thirty-seven years old and here he was just a twenty-three years old postgraduate student.

Kyungsoo pulled on his cheeks, even knocked his skull a few times to make sure he wasn’t dreaming or hallucinating. And even despite that, it appeared that everything going on was stemmed in reality.

 

 

Remembering that he had two wisdom teeth grow in at twenty-five years old, Kyungsoo opened his mouth to look inside the mirror. He even inserted a few fingers to prod his gums and sure enough, the two wisdom tooth that were supposed to be there was still missing.

Kyungsoo lifted the hem of his graphic t-shirt to look at his belly where the C-section scar from childbirth was but it wasn’t there too. Even if Kyungsoo remembered when his wisdom tooth came in wrongly, he was sure he wouldn’t be wrong about the scar he had because men who could conceive like him were uncommon.

 

 

Still, in a fit of confusion, Kyungsoo rushed back out to the living room and the television and he was then presented by advertisements and television shows that did air around the year 2016 and not from the year he came from. There was even an outdated iPhone 7 advertisement on television. 

Although this gave Kyungsoo further evidence that he had somehow returned to the past, he was even more stressed at his inability to explain how all of this was possible. He was a historian, not a physicist, who was more likely to discover time travel. 

 

 

The first person Kyungsoo could think of to help him during such a predicament was none other than Chanyeol, his own husband.

Kyungsoo absolutely had to find Chanyeol and tell him of what was going on. Maybe Chanyeol could be in the exact same situation as him, Kyungsoo had yet to find out.

 

 

“Dad, I’m taking the car! I’ll buy you food on the way home,” Kyungsoo half-yelled, finding a jacket in his old cupboard which he put on before hastily grabbing a pair of sneakers and the car keys hanging on a hook near the doorway. Luckily, Kyungsoo still remembered where his father used to keep it.

“But you’re not supposed to be driving!” Choongsun yelled back from the living room.

“It’s fine. I’ll just be a while. I’ll get you fried chicken on the way home, alright?” Kyungsoo negotiated, bargaining with his father's favorite food. 

“Oh, okay then,” Choongsun shrugged his shoulders, continuing to smoke and watch television at the same time.

 

 

Kyungsoo was panting when he got into his father’s old car, taking a few moments to calm himself down before attempting the journey to where Chanyeol was.

Kyungsoo tried to remember. In the fall of 2016, both he and Chanyeol were postgraduate students at the same university but in different faculties. They were not yet dating at the time and Chanyeol still lived with his family too.

 

Heck, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol were barely even friends at the time. That was the hurdle Kyungsoo had to overcome but he ignored that for now over the more pressing need to see and consult Chanyeol about this whole back to the past thing.

After all, from the time Kyungsoo came from, Chanyeol was not only his husband but also his best friend and number one confidante. Whenever Kyungsoo was faced with a problem he couldn’t possibly deal with alone, his first instinct was to go to Chanyeol for help.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo had his hands on the steering wheel, still inside the unmoving car in his father’s garage as he tried to remember where Chanyeol’s parent’s house was in 2016.

Reminded that Chanyeol’s parents had never moved, Kyungsoo was sure Chanyeol would be in the same house where they would drop off their twins every other weekend in the future.

 

 

Slowly, Kyungsoo backed out of the driveway of his father’s modest two-bedroom detached house in an older part of the city and drove his way to Chanyeol and his future parent-in-law’s house.

The roads had changed in the past fourteen years and Kyungsoo’s memory of it wasn’t really that good anymore when he had been used to the future system. However, the way there was mostly the same and the landmarks did eventually help guide Kyungsoo there.

At least cars hadn’t changed that much and Kyungsoo could still drive what was considered an “old” car for him.

 

Out of curiosity, Kyungsoo the radio during the drive and the DJ on air mentioned popular movies and artists which were relevant at the time such as the first Deadpool movie and some new girl group debuting from a “Big 3” entertainment company. Even the billboard advertisements lining the sides of the road attested him that fact.

If Kyungsoo had thought that this was all just a prank, he certainly did not now. Everything seemed and was indeed too real. He really was in 2016 and no longer the year 2030.

However he had ended up here, first things first, and that was to see Chanyeol and figure out if he was the only one in this situation.

 

 

 

The Kyungsoo of 2016 would have been intimidated to be in such a place but since this Kyungsoo was technically that from 2030 but in the body of 2016 Kyungsoo, he just felt restless and eager to get to the bottom of this problem.

 

Kyungsoo drove through the well tarred and maintained road in the upper-class residential district of the city where Chanyeol lived in with his parents. It looked different in 2016 than in 2030, of course.

Most noticeably, some houses that had been built in 2030 had not yet existed now. But thankfully, Chanyeol’s house was in the same place and still mostly looked the same as it did in the future.

 

 

Kyungsoo pulled up at the driveway outside Chanyeol’s large house with glass fixtures before jogging up to the gate and repeatedly smashing the intercom button until a house helper answered it.

“Please, I’m here to see Park Chanyeol. My name is Do Kyungsoo. I go to university with him. This is urgent, be quick. It’s about…uh- an assignment due today. He hasn’t been answering my calls and I really need his part for the slides,” Kyungsoo lied straight to his teeth, knowing he’d have to bluff his way around to possibly meet Chanyeol in the circumstances in 2016.

“I’m sorry but Park Chanyeol isn’t home. He left for class early this morning. He won’t be home until evening,” The female house helper replied over the static noise of the intercom.

“,” Kyungsoo swore under his breath before composing himself, “Well, thank you then. I’ll just go look

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter