25th December 2021- 18th January 2030- 12th May 2023

Distance of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyungsoo didn’t consider himself a smart man, maybe above average at best. But even after the whole time traveling fiasco he had landed himself in, he would certainly think that it was stupid for him to say no to Chanyeol who was literally on one knee to want to marry him and spend the rest of their lives together.

Not until it happened to him, Kyungsoo had a hard time believing that he was on a path on course to this one specific moment.

 

Kyungsoo believed he had suffered enough and that he deserved to be happy now, after all that. He was way past done worrying about the ramifications of his actions. He had already changed the course of events permanently just by waking up one morning as Kyungsoo B, none of which he had control over.

It was considered a big move that might further complicate events to come but it didn’t stop Kyungsoo from saying yes to Chanyeol and agreeing to get married.

 

 

This was literally the stuff of his dreams and he wasn’t going to deny Chanyeol like this. He had loved Chanyeol in the previous universe and in this one and maybe in the next one if it exists.

From now on, he was going to be happy.

 

 

 

Two weeks after they were engaged on Christmas Day, and after the holiday season was over, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol finally decided to tell everyone of the happy news before they moved into planning the wedding.

 

Kyungsoo’s mother seemed a bit in disbelief in the beginning. She could hardly believe that Kyungsoo would ever even get married as she had assumed him to be the type to stay single. She began to wonder if Kyungsoo was pregnant, suspecting it to be a shotgun wedding, and also had a hard time trying to believe it when she learned otherwise.

It amused Kyungsoo at first because while that might have been true in the world of Kyungsoo A, it wasn’t the case here.

 

Chanyeol’s parents were ecstatic to learn that he was going to get married since they were still high on the euphoria of Chanyeol’s sister’s recent wedding, and had been hoping he’d be following in her footsteps.

Due to that, they were the first to call up wedding planners and start looking up venues for Chanyeol’s wedding, even before Chanyeol or Kyungsoo had even decided on anything on their own.

 

 

In the graduate student group chat, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were bombarded with texts of congratulations and requests to see any pictures of the ring or the engagement. While Kyungsoo obliged to show them the ring, he had to turn them down for pictures of the moment because he was in his pajamas and half asleep when Chanyeol proposed.

It wasn’t the stereotypical proposal at a romantic candle-lit dinner or at a scenic beach during sunset but Kyungsoo didn’t care and Chanyeol knew this too.

This was just one of the many reasons why Kyungsoo fell in love with Chanyeol in the first place. He knew how Kyungsoo loved simplicity.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo decided to tell Baekhyun of the proposal during a lunch outing one weekend, with the intention of asking Baekhyun to be his best man. For in Kyungsoo A’s timeline, Baekhyun was also his best man.

Similarly, Kyungsoo had agreed to be Baekhyun best’s man whenever he got married but even by the time Kyungsoo disappeared from the Kyungsoo A timeline, Baekhyun remained an unmarried man.

 

Since graduating and landing a job, Baekhyun was on his third girlfriend while Kyungsoo always remained loyal to Chanyeol even during a time when it seemed impossible for them to ever be together.

Baekhyun almost choked on his drink when Kyungsoo announced to him about the proposal and wedding. He was surprised, to say the least, and even thought of it as a prank at first, even if Kyungsoo didn’t seem like the person to be pulling off pranks.

 

 

Baekhyun had to even call Chanyeol, who was away at a conference at the time, to ask for confirmation that Kyungsoo was not pulling something on him.

Even in Baekhyun’s eyes, Kyungsoo appeared as someone who seemed unlikely to get married due to how hung up he was on a specific person, which was Chanyeol- also considering the kind of problems he had with Chanyeol not too long ago.  

 

 

At the end of the call where Chanyeol constantly affirmed that they were indeed going to get married, Baekhyun was happy for Kyungsoo and maybe even started to look back upon on his own failed relationships.

But nonetheless, Baekhyun agreed to be Kyungsoo’s best man for an early April wedding.

 

While Chanyeol and Kyungsoo had wanted a fall wedding and hence more time to prepare until then, they had to cave in with Chanyeol’s parents' request to get married as soon as possible since they had agreed to foot the entire cost of the wedding out of their own pocket.

It was something they had to compromise with because neither Chanyeol nor Kyungsoo had much money of their own outside from support from their well to do parents. Not until they were tenured as professors that was.

 

 

 

The next three months were hectic whatnot with all the wedding ceremony arrangements, legal wedding paperwork, classes, and their academic research which they had to attend to.

Kyungsoo thought that he was able to handle it well. After all, he was already experienced with this since he had done this before as Kyungsoo A.

 

In fact, Kyungsoo B probably had it easier because he didn’t have two young children to care for during such a hectic period of his life.

In a way, it was a blessing but it made Kyungsoo sad to realize that his children and father wouldn’t be at his side during the wedding like it was for Kyungsoo A. It felt sadder when Kyungsoo remembered that he didn’t have a single piece of evidence to hold onto from his previous life, for him to look back on should he feel like it.

 

 

But at the time, Kyungsoo didn’t see that as a loss because he was optimistic at how the rest of his future here as Kyungsoo B would unfold. Maybe, there were better things in store for him.

He believed that he was on the right track now and that it was all just uphill from here on.

 

 

**

 

 

On April 3rd, 2022, Kyungsoo married Chanyeol under a shaded canopy in a garden wedding during a light drizzle, with pink blossoms in full bloom on the trees surrounding them.

Previously, Kyungsoo A also had an outdoor wedding but at a private park and during the summer. In both times, Kyungsoo also opted to wear a white suit for his wedding.

Kyungsoo was finally married, albeit almost 4 years later than Kyungsoo A did. But somehow, things were different but yet also the same, Kyungsoo thought.

 

Even though Kyungsoo technically married for the second time- albeit to the same person- he maintained that his wedding day was the happiest day of his life.

Kyungsoo didn’t really care for all the traditions of having a wedding or the joy of being the center of attention on the day. What he really cared about was the vows because it was proof that the person he loved the most also felt the same way for him.

Having a ring on his finger and a legal paper saying that he was married to Chanyeol was just the icing on the cake.

 

 

 

After they were married, Chanyeol moved into Kyungsoo’s modest home. Occasionally, they did spend some weekends at Chanyeol’s fancy home where his parents lived too.

 

Not two months since being married, Kyungsoo found out he was pregnant at six weeks along with a due date set for mid to late December of the same year. When the ultrasound revealed that Kyungsoo was carrying twins, he almost fell out of the chair in the doctor’s office.

While male pregnancy was uncommon, twin pregnancies were not but still equally risky. Knowing this from previous experiences in a life he no longer led, Kyungsoo quickly made the necessary arrangements for a cesarean birth on December 17th, 2022; a date he had chose with Chanyeol and with the approval of the doctor.

 

 

Later in the pregnancy, an ultrasound revealed that Kyungsoo was carrying twin boys, although he would only know if they were fraternal or identical later on after birth. But if according to the life of Kyungsoo A, they would be fraternal.

 

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure if the life of Kyungsoo A was being replicated here in a jumbled up order or if it was purely coincidental.

There were a lot of things he didn’t understand. This was just one of the many.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo carried on with his teaching and research even during his pregnancy, only beginning to take time off starting in November, deferring his doctorate degree process by one semester.

Due to circumstances, he and Chanyeol had to move into Chanyeol’s parent’s house, where there would be extra help around to manage the pregnancy and the twins when they arrived.

 

 

On the morning of December 17th, 2022, just as planned, the twins were delivered and Chanyeol agreed with Kyungsoo’s choice of names; Park Minjung and Park Minhyun. They were fraternal twins, born over three years later than the twin sons of Kyungsoo A.

Chanyeol didn’t ask how Kyungsoo was inspired to name their sons. Kyungsoo was partially grateful for because he didn’t know how to truthfully explain that he had experienced giving birth twice to a total of four sons now.

 

 

 

If there was one benefit of being in Kyungsoo’s B shoes and repeating what he already knew and done before in another time- other than being more knowledgeable in his studies- it would be the fact that he knew how to do this parenting thing better.

It was still tiring but Kyungsoo was glad to know how to properly deal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter