Chapter 4

What Love Taught
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae and Dara continued to talk on the phone almost every night unless they have exams. Jessica got the message that Donghae was talking to someone else and didn’t have time for her anymore. She just wished during those times when they talked until late at night, she had the courage to tell him how she felt. 

 

It’s almost time for the college entrance exams so everyone focused on studying and prioritizing that over other things like their love life. It was different for Donghae, although he wanted to pass the exams and get the chance to enter a prestigious school, he also wanted to give Dara the song he wrote and composed for his performance piece as a way to confess his feelings. 

 

Hyukjae saw Donghae and sat next to him in the library.

 

Hyukjae: I never get to see you anymore. You don’t even show up for practice.

 

Donghae: I’m really striving to get into any of the top colleges, it would really mean a lot.

 

Hyukjae: I know that but I’ll be leaving in a few months. I heard back from the company that will hire me and they said I can still get my degree online.

 

Donghae: That’s good, it’s important to have something to fall back on.

 

Hyukjae: Exactly. I plan to open a business, like a dance studio or something.

 

Donghae: Yeah or if I get to compose music, we can open an entertainment company. 

 

Hyukjae: That’s more like it. Dream big or go bust. 

 

Donghae: Yup

 

Hyukjae: So...do you still get to talk to Dara noona? I heard she’ll be leaving soon.

 

Donghae: (Sighing) I know, I still can’t seem to find the courage to confess. I’m hoping to get this college thing done before I let her know how I feel.

 

Hyukjae: You might run out of time my friend. 

 

Donghae: Yeah, I need to tell her soon

 

Dara was getting ready to go to class when she received a text message from Donghae.

 

Donghae: Hope to see you on your birthday.

 

Dara didn’t have the time to reply to the text message. Dara really hopes that she gets a chance to meet up with him. She hates it that she doesn’t get to see him at band practice but she understands that this is a really difficult time for seniors. They’ve talked over the phone for several weeks now. They even went out to eat during his birthday but so far they have skirted around the issue of their relationship. Defining their relationship would force them to acknowledge their feelings for each other. It’s not that they’re not sure, it’s just that it isn’t strong enough to weather the challenges that are to come. 

 

Donghae was nervous. Tomorrow was the day of the exam and Dara’s birthday. He planned to give her his gift after the exams. He worked hard on composing a song but it really helped that he’s inspired because of Dara. His phone rang and he was hoping it was Dara but it was Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae: Hey good luck tomorrow

 

Donghae: Thanks, are you really not going to take the exam tomorrow?

 

Hyukjae: Everything is already set up for me as soon as I graduate. I already have some online universities lined up in the States. I can get a degree while on tour.

 

Donghae: It seems like everyone who matters to me will leave soon. 

 

Hyukjae: Well as far as I know, at the most, Dara noona and I will be away for two years. Do you think you can get yourself out of trouble until then?

 

Donghae: I’ll try. 

 

Hyukjae: I bet you can’t, even if you try (Hyukjae teased)

 

Donghae: I’ll stay busy so that I won’t think about Dara all the time.

 

Hyukjae: Right...you only care about Dara noona now.

 

Donghae: Of course I’ll miss you, you’re my best friend.

 

Hyukjae: Pshh...I’ll miss you too. Now get some sleep, you have to rest well for tomorrow.

 

Donghae: Okay thanks

 

The following morning, Donghae went to the school where the exams will be held and saw Siwon and Yoona there. 

 

Donghae: Hey you two...are you ready for today?

 

Siwon: I guess we’re ready...

 

Donghae: Where’s Jessica? Is she not taking the test?

 

Yoona: She’ll be studying in the States so..

 

Donghae: Oh, I see...

 

Yoona: Yeah, too bad you guys didn’t work out...

 

Siwon: Let’s not talk about that kind of stuff, let’s get ready for this exam

 

Yoona: You’re right, I’m sorry, Donghae

 

Donghae: It’s alright, good luck to you both

 

Siwon: Okay, see you later

 

After the exam, Donghae went to Dara’s house to give her his gift. He hopes that her Dad has not arrived yet so that he could still talk to her in person. He rang the doorbell and waited. As it turns out, Dara’s dad went home early to celebrate Dara’s birthday. Dara’s mom was on her way to answer the door when the dad offered to do it himself. 

 

Mr. Park: Yes? Can I help you?

 

Donghae: (Suddenly nervous that he’s talking to Dara’s dad) Uhm, good evening sir. I’m Donghae, Dara’s friend. I just wanted to give her this gift.

 

Mr. Park: Are you from the same school as she is? You look like you’re still in high school.

 

Donghae: Ah yes sir, I’m in the same school as Thunder.

 

Mr. Park

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter