Promise

So what?

After breakfast, Jinsol helps Jungeun clean the table and dishes after moving Yerim to the living room so she could relax and watch TV. As the 2 adults finish cleaning, Jungeun runs a hand through her hair and turns to Jinsol. 'Thanks for helping.' A shrug rolls off of Jinsol's shoulders, her leather jacket making a soft squeaking sound. 'It's the least I can do.' Smiling, Jungeun grabs her phone.

'I remembered that one of my colleagues and best friend actually, is on duty today. She's an orthopedic pediatrician so she can maybe have a look at Yerim in between her other appointments.' As Jungeun speaks, she moves to sit at her kitchen table, pulling up her contact list. Jinsol smiles at her words, moved by the lengths to which the young doctor is going just to help her sister out. Moving to stand behind her chair, Jinsol gently rests her hands on tensed square shoulders. The summery weather had left Jungeun opting with a simple white blouse, light and suitable for work. This allowed Jinsol to easily feel the sharpness of Jungeun's shoulders, and the tenseness of her muscles. 

Jungeun tenses further as Jinsol lays her hands on her. Freezing in place, she stares down at the table, wondering what caused this sudden proximity. Meanwhile, Jinsol frowns at the tense muscles under her hands. Gently, she starts running her hands back and forth over Jungeun's shoulders, lightly squeezing along the way. 'You're so tense.' Jungeun shudders at the deep murmur behind her, accompanied by the gentle caresses of her shoulders. She can hardly recall the last time she had a massage, let alone the last time she wasn't tense. 'That's the life of a doctor...' 

Testing her luck with the kind but nervous doctor, Jinsol gently moves Jungeun's hair away from her shoulders and starts massaging her. Jinsol had always been the type to want to care for others. If it wasn't for the lack of money and the struggles she grew up with as well as all the responsibilities that come with being a gang leader, she might've gone to college in the medical field herself. She's smart, much smarter than she gives herself credit for. Massaging the girls as they study for their tests or after a long day at work, was something she got used to. She even borrowed some books from the library on physiotherapy to make her massages even more effective. Jinsol herself was extremely tense, but she never let it show. She can't show weakness when all these girls rely on her.

She must overwork herself. 'Is it normal for a doctor to work an evening shift right after a night shift?' Jungeun allows herself to close her eyes as Jinsol's hands manage to slowly release the tension in her shoulders and neck. 'Yesterday, they were understaffed. I always give myself up for extra shifts.' Jinsol looks around, Jungeun's apartment is much bigger than her room back at the garage. She manages to rent it out together with the girls but gave them bigger rooms so they could relax and study better. Usually, Jinsol even falls asleep in the office of her repair shop. Jungeun definitely doesn't look like she needs the money necessarily. 'Excuse me if I'm wrong, Jungeun, but it doesn't quite seem like you need the extra shifts.' 

Airily, Jungeun chuckles and leans her head back. Looking up, she meets Jinsol's inquisitive and confused gaze. Stilling her motions on her shoulders, Jinsol leans down. 'I may not need it but the patients do.' Jinsol sees the determination and passion in Jungeun's eyes. Like a wildfire, spreading and enveloping everything in its path, Jungeun's will to help patients is much too strong to stop. Smiling, Jinsol leans in and kisses Jungeun on the forehead. Of course, Jungeun starts blushing profusely and quickly sits back up, causing Jinsol's hands to slip off of her shoulders for a moment. Jinsol sighs and is quick to move back in, resting a hand on Jungeun's head. 'The patients can't do much with an overworked doctor, though.' With that, Jinsol moves away and walks over to the living room to join Yerim soundlessly. Jungeun slowly lifts her hand up, index finger touching the very same spot that Jinsol's soft lips had. She cares. Nobody ever cares. 

Jungeun is used to people jumping at the chance to give their shift to her. They know she's willing to take any necessary shift that's open. She won't allow herself rest, as long as there are patients that need healing. She's used to hearing people tell her how great it is that she takes up all that extra work. They say the hospital runs smoother because of her. They praise her and chase her. But nobody ever cares to think she might be overworked. Her best friend, Jiwoo, has tried to tell her but Jungeun never listens. Hearing a stranger like Jinsol say that she's overworked, triggers something in Jungeun. Am I that obvious? 

 

* * *

 

Jinsol offers to drive the 3 of them to the clinic in her car, again to return the favour to Jungeun. After retrieving some clothes from her trunk and getting Yerim and herself dressed and cleaned up in Jungeun's bathroom, they step out into the living room. 'Ready to go when you are, doc!' Jungeun turns with a smile and bites her lip just as quick, keeping a gasp from leaving . Jinsol is wearing her same tight black jeans that she wore the previous night, but instead of long sleeves and a leather jacket, she's now sporting just a black T-shirt, partly tucked into her jeans. Her shirt is baggy, revealing her collarbones and the rips in the fabric only further emphasis her gang leader image. Jungeun gulps and tries to reply but her eyes are too focused on Jinsol's now exposed arms. She watches as Jinsol runs a hand through her hair, biceps tensing and moving under her perfect skin. 

'I think you broke her, unnie! I liked her!' It's Yerim's joking voice that brings Jungeun back to reality. Chuckling, Jinsol plays with her car keys and picks up her backpack with their dirty clothes. 'I like her too.' She walks to the front door and opens it wide, looking back at Jungeun once again. 'I'll drop this in my car and come back up to get Yerim and you down if that's okay?' Not trusting her voice, Jungeun nods quickly and grips at her handbag. Once Jinsol's out the door, she breathes steadily again. Wait... Did she just say she likes me?

'Jungeun unnie?' Yerim calls out from the couch where Jinsol had gently placed her. Turning, Jungeun moves to sit next to her. 'Yes, sweetie?' Smiling, Yerim grabs her hand and looks the doctor in the eye. 'Do you like my sister?' Choking on her own saliva, Jungeun coughs as Yerim pats her on the back with a giggle. 'I'll take that as a yes. Not that I need to ask with the way you act around her.' Jungeun blushes and awkwardly looks back at Yerim. 'I'm that obvious?' Yerim nods excitedly. 'But it's okay! Jinsol seems to like making you blush.' Giggling, Yerim hugs Jungeun softly. 'But promise me something, unnie.' Jungeun calms down instantly from the sincerity in the young girl's voice. 'Of course, Yerim. What is it?' Looking her in the eye, Jungeun nearly breaks at the fragile look in her eyes. Hugging the girl back, she nods with tears in her eyes at the words mumbled into her chest.

'Don't leave us like mommy and daddy did...' 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

 

Yeet, sorry felt like leaving it on a sadder note :/ Yerimmie already is sooo attached to Jungeun ack

Enjoy and have a good day/night! :3