Sue Me!

Our Story

It was another one of those evenings.

Hyejin and Byul are in their usual spot outside of Moon Beans sitting across each other, their conversation extending long after they have emptied their cups and plates on the table between them. It seemed like the rest of the world were tuned out while they were together. The silent moments filled by the occasional honks from the cars at a distance.

"Think about it, if you eat to live, what's the point?" Hyejin raised an eyebrow at Byul.

"Getting to live another day? Having nutrition to do things you want to do?"

"What if the thing that I want to do is to eat all day?"

Byul thought about it. "Touché" she said, finally resting her argument. The younger girl gave her another mocking smile and laid back on her chair satisfied to have won another debate.

Byul smiled softly, she is getting used to this, Saturday is not just another work day but a day she looks forward to. Excitement filling her system as the days rolled towards the weekend. Her heart beat picking up its pace as the clock ticks by crawling to the of the day. And finally satisfaction when Hyejin walks in through the cafe's doors with her cutely arched eyes and mockingly seductive grin. Looking back to the first night she laid her eyes on the lioness in that passenger seat, Byul never would have thought it would come to this. And she wanted more.

"How's the moving coming along?" she asked innocently.

"We're almost finished. Next week will be my last trip back to Jeonju." Hyejin sighed.

"Something wrong?"

"I'm feeling the jitters unnie"

"That's normal isn't it? It's your first time away from home for a long time" Byul extended the long part then smirked. "If you want the jitters to go away. Just think of me and our time together."

"And why would I do that?" Hyejin crossed her arm and gave Byul a challenging look. Byul gave her one of her trademark smile, scrunching up her nose showing her indian dimples.

"Because now that Sandeul's not going to be with you all the time, who's stopping you from coming here every day?"

"What makes you think I'll go out of my way to come here? There's thousands of cafes right in the heart of Seoul Byulyi."

"And yet here you are" Byul slowly enunciated each word slowly.

Hyejin could feel the hotness on her ears and face but she battled for the upper hand, this barista is not going to one up her again. "I'm here because it's convenient"

"At first" Byul nodded.

Hyejin was annoyed looking at the barista, looking smug, with her smug smile and smug eyes. Her. smug. face. But most of all she was annoyed with herself for thinking it was the most attractive face in the world right at that moment.

"I'm not agreeing with you but I'll be super busy that I won't even have time to think about coming here"

"Oh, I'm sure you'll find a way. Like you always do. Didn't Sandeul tell you off from coming here back then?" Said Byul, nonchalantly.

Hyejin shook her head no. "That's not— aaaah!"

Hyejin felt pain shot from her ear as it was being pulled from her body. There's only one person who could possibly do this. Both girls looked up to see Sandeul. "Speaking of the devil"

"Aww!" Hyejin stomped her foot glaring at him.

"Time's up" Sandeul said, pulling harder on her ear. Byul covered to stifle a laugh.

"Look, its not enough. We're talking here" Hyejin explained. He ignored her and tightened his grip which made her stand up. "Sandeul oppa! I'm your boss!"

"Uh-huh" He began to walk, dragging her away. Hyejin had no choice but to follow.

"I didn't get to say goodbye!"

"Well then say it while she can still hear you." he said in a sing song voice. She tried slapping away his hand but he kept on a tight grip. She felt hot all over her face from embarrassment. People were staring. Byul was openly laughing.

"You're not gonna stop him?" Hyejin pleaded at Byul teary eyed. "This is your fault you know"

"I know." Byul laughed, she was wiping tears on the side of her eyes. "That's why I'm gonna make it up to you the next time you come by."

"What if I don't come back!" She had to shout now.

"Then I don't have to feel guilty about that!" Byul retorted.

"You're a big meanie!"

Byul only laughed. "Goodnight Sands!"

"Same to you Byul. See you next week."

Hyejin pouted and crossed her arms. She let Sandeul drag her all the way while glaring at Byul.

"Bye Jinie." Byul smirked.

Sandeul escorted Hyejin to the passenger seat and then walked around the car to sit on the drivers seat.

Hyejin took one last glance at the smirking girl being illuminated by the green glow of Moonbeans. "Oppa pinch me right now."

He chuckled. "Relax kid, you're not dreaming"

~~~~~~

It was Friday, Byul's day off, and once again she was summoned at the kitchen to help box the cheesecakes her mom and Elton made to be sold at the cafe. It was evident that Byul had stayed up all night again streaming, she had bags under her eyes and yawned as she walked into the kitchen.

"You have days off to rest darling but you always choose play on that stupid computer"

Byul groaned. It was the last thing she wants to hear at 7 in the morning. She ignored the nagging and like a mindless zombie she went to wash her face, put on a hairnet and box the cheesecakes with her eyes half close.

"I'm just warning you, you don't want to look tired and groggy when your grandfather visits"

That made Byul look up to her mom with a lazy gaze not quiet processing what her mom said.

"He's coming to inspect your branch tomorrow. Your father said he has some big news."

"What?!" Byul said in alarm, effectively waking her up. "And you only tell me this now? Mom!"

Her mom raised an eyebrow. "I told you to stop playing that stupid computer and you never listen to me darling. Now finish up boxing and go get some breakfast. Look smart tomorrow, you don't want to disappoint your grandpa."

"No kidding" Byul whispered feeling nervous all of a sudden.

The big boss', Byul's grandparents, visits are always dreaded. He is a meticulous, strict, no-nonsense type of boss. Byul did not know that at first, the old man had always been sweet to her, but she learned it through the scared expression on her employees eyes when she naively and cheerfully told them the news he was visiting. Byul saw the authoritarian figure in him when he visited, but he was pleasant and nice. Her employees said it was the first time an inspection went smoothly. Whether it was because he went easy on Byul or because Byul had done exactly what he wanted, her employees did not care, they are happy as long as the boss is happy.

Now in spite of having passed every inspection her grandpa did, Byul is still having doubts on whether he is truly going easy on her. She thinks there's one way to check. And that is pitching the Gotham cake idea to her grandpa. If that idea is approved then she really might not be a fluke.

~~~~~~~

Byul had just arrived at work the next day when she noticed the sleaze ball, Charlie, was upfront waiting by the door fixing up his bowtie and glasses. What are you doing there this early? Byul quickly parked her Audi at the designated parking spot and went towards the impatient looking man.

"Did something happen?" She asked tentatively.

"Nah, just doing my job. Good morning" he smirked and opened the door for Byul. She looked at him full of suspicion as she walked by, entering into the familiar space.

"Good morning miss" said the night guard. She looked around the cafe noticing the activeness of the place. Although there's a lack of customers most of the night duty employees were either mopping the floors or wiping the windows. The barista behind the register was drying up dishes as she waited for a customer. Sounds of utensils and pans clanging with each other was coming from the kitchen.

Byul sighed, typical Charlie.

"When is grandpa going to arrive?" Said Byul checking her watch. It was fifteen minutes past 7 o'clock.

"We don't know miss, but mister Kang had been up... err... I mean, ordered them to clean since an hour ago." The guard said gesturing to the employees.

"Kiss " Byul whispered looking back at Charlie who stood outside tapping his feet. Byul never minded him and went to clock in for the day. She dropped her things on her office table, got her green apron from the rack and tied it around her waist. She went about her normal routine checking the inventories, making sure they have enough ingredients to make what's on their menu.

When she was done with the initial work she went to prepare the cake, Byul bit her lip, thinking, will he like it? She look back on the perfect expression that Hyejin showed when she first presented the small cake. It was more than Byul had expected.

He'll like it, she reassured herself.

As soon as Byul was done baking Yooa opened the kitchen door with the announcement. "Miss, your grand father is here"

She went back to the cafe and saw the old man through the glass doors. He is in a Hawaiian shirt and khaki pants, with the cane that Byul had jokingly gifted him last Christmas in his hand. He was tapping the cane against the ground now as Charlie was talking beside him. Then Charlie gestured him inside. Byul waited.

"Ah there you are" said her grandpa as he spotted her. Byul quickly went to greet him good morning. He gave her a quick peck on the cheek, as she glance at Charlie on the side putting up a pleasant face.

"Glad you could visit again sir"

After the pleasantries, Byul and Charlie guided the old man around the cafe. This part always annoyed her. Charlie never leaves her grandpa's side cutting off Byul at every chance he gets. Once, Byul made a mistake of telling him about the staffing ideas she wanted to suggest to her grandpa, the next day he said the ideas himself, like it was his all along. She never trusted him again for that and vowed she would get her revenge one day.

Byul let out a big sigh as they walk into the kitchen, she was lagging back and was hard paying attention when her ears perked up to what Charlie was now discussing.

"We're also making lava cakes sir, would you care to try them?"

The newly baked cakes are now in the counter, one of Charlie's employees having taken them out of the pan and was sliding one plate towards the old man. Yooa was in the side looking anxious at Byul shaking her head.

"What are these for?" said her grandpa in a clear stern tone. Byul and all of the employees around froze.

"Er. . . " Charlie gave a nervous laugh. "To-to be sold at the cafe sir"

"And who approved of this?" he look sharply at Charlie then at Byul.

"Your granddaughter sir and she made all of these" said Charlie with a shaky voice. Byul clenched her fist. They watched as the old man took the spoon and slice the cake in two. The chocolate ooze out and he slice a smaller bite. He frowned.

"It was purely her idea." Charlie added shakily.

"I see" Her grandpa chewed and swallowed and look around the kitchen. All of them held their breath. "Go back to your duties. Charlie, do excuse me and my granddaughter."

"Yes sir" He got out of there quick as a lightning leaving Byul there stunned.

"We're you really planning on selling these?" The old man asked her seriously.

"Yes sir, but with your permission, I was planning on pitching the idea today"

"And you thought of this on your own?"

"Yes sir"

"Let's talk outside" He said and turned.

Yooa as well as the other employees had worried expressions as Byul glance around. She took a deep breath and followed her grandpa. She was like a lost puppy attaching herself to the most familiar thing she could find. It was not an image she wanted her employees to see but there's no helping it. Outside of the kitchen she saw Charlie back by the door fixing his unruly bowtie. When he noticed them approaching he hurried to open the door and bowed as they pass by.

Her grandpa walked along the tables outside until he reached the one on the end then he settled himself at the chair that coincidentally is Hyejin's when she stops at Saturday nights. He gestured for his granddaughter to sit down balancing his hand on his cane.

"Am I in trouble?" asked Byul cautiously taking her seat.

"No" her grandpa smiled pleasantly. Then he settled on his seat. "However, I am going to tell you something."

It's about the company, Byul thought, she braced herself.

"I will soon retire." Declared the old man.

She opened before she could stop "Grandpa if this is about me going into corporate-"

"Listen first Manseng" Byul froze, he always uses her Chinese name when he is speaking serious business. When he advised her what course she should take in college, she was Mansaeng, when he bought her her first car, she was Mansaeng. Her heart started to beat like a drum. "When I started working at the shop my pa had first build, I was way younger than you, way way younger. By the time I graduated from college I have sold and made enough drinks for each day in my life. I said I would never go back to making them again. Fortunately the business had grown, my pa manage to branch out around the country and overseas. So, I went corporate straightaway. And pa put me into supervising. . . the same was with your dad, my son. He wanted nothing to do with the food industry and so he got a position high up heading accounts. He was always into numbers and all that boring stuff." He paused and looked at Byul, something in the smile he gave comforted her a bit. " I admit I was skeptical at first, about your decision to become a manager of one of our branches. I approved of it to let you gain a bit of experience. But as I've monitored your progress, I realise my mistake. You seem to have fallen in love with this line of work, heck you're even taking initiative introducing new food for the menu"

He had an incredulous look in his eyes but Byul saw the playfulness in them so she loosened up.

"Yes sir, I'm loving it" she admitted.

"I never should have let your grandma talk me into letting you do this. I really think you'll do well in the office"

Byul shrugged.

"We thrive in our career's cause we were put in the fields we were good at. That is what I've come to realise."

Byul looked at him hopeful. "Does this mean you'll let me be the manager here, as long as I like?"

"Of course not Mansaeng" Her heart dropped to her feet and it felt like someone hammered it with what he said next. "Effective today you are relieved from your managerial job"

~~~~~~~

It was nearing 10 o'clock at night when Sandeul and Hyejin parked at the rest stop. They were 'late' once again having just left the dinner party celebrating Hyejin's freedom and Sandeul's last day as her personal driver and secretary.

"You cant stay long this time"

"Yeah yeah" she said looking at the green and brown sign of Moon Beans cafe all of a sudden realising that she had to thank Sandeul for the nights she was able to spend here with Byul. "It feels like it was yesterday since we did this back and forth journey. I cant believe I'm saying this, but I'm going to miss you oppa. Thanks for being a great 'wingman'"

"Aww hyejin, you're cute when you're not being mean" Sandeul grinned.

"I know" Hyejin smirked "Are you sure you don't want to keep being my personal driver though?"

"And give up the position your dad generously offered? To be a manager of the Jeonju branch? Cons, first, I'll be working in Jeunju. Second, I get to see Chan everyday. Third, No y soul to yell at me every morning, to get them a damned cup of coffee."

"I hate you"

Sandeul laughed.

"You can't stay long!" She heard him say as she closed the door on him.

Hyejin knew it without being said, it was too late in the evening, but she had a plan, she'll be asking for Byul's number this time. Also they would have plenty of times to hang out the very next week. She was not too worried as she walked into Moon Beans.

Hyejin saw Yooa on the counter and lined up towards the friendly barista, ordered her favourite vanilla latte and the Gotham cake.

"We're out of Gotham cake at the moment miss" said the barista as Hyejin looked around for Byul. "But Miss Byul set aside a cheesecake for you."

"Is she here?" Their eyes met and Yooa gave this weird look, like pity, to Hyejin.

"She went out for a walk but told Somi to call her if you stop by. She said she has something important to tell you. Can you wait?"

"Sure, I can"

Yooa completed the transaction and thanked Hyejin telling her Byul is on her way back asap. Hyejin waited wondering what it could be. Byul was never this cryptic and she was always here, either serving or sitting as she waited for Hyejin.

"Grande vanilla latte and cheesecake for Batgirl!" Yooa said, sliding Hyejin's order towards her. Just then Byul walked in through the kitchen door. She spotted Hyejin and gave her a weak smile.

"Hey, is something wrong?" she asked Byul on her approach.

"Do you have a minute? Can we talk outside?"

There was no air of playfulness on the barista's tone that made Hyejin uneasy.

"Sure. Are you OK?"

"I'm fine." Came the quick answer. She followed Byul outside to their corner table. She gestured for Hyejin to seat and then sat on the opposite chair.

"What's up?"

Byul cleared . She looked unnerve? Hyejin wasn't sure. "I think this might be the last time we see each other. . ."

A feeling of dread came over Hyejin body so suddenly. Her hands and feet went cold in a blink of an eye. "Tell me your joking, right now!"

Her tone was much more aggressive than she intended Byul looked at her shaken and unsure.

"I'm sorry, n-no, I mean yes!" The barista stammered. "Yes, I'm joking, I'm sorry!"

Hyejin was relieved. But the barista bit her lip. "Well, not entirely" she sighed. "We're transferring to another branch next Monday. We start moving tomorrow."

"Wha. . .All of a sudden?"

"My Grandpa came today telling me he is letting me have the managerial job for as long as I want but I have to prove myself. He challenge me to manage that other branch . . ."

"Is it far away?"

"I don't know. We haven't got much detail yet. He said he'll show me around there tomorrow."

"Just when I'm about to get closer to you . . . " There was silence as Hyejin fidgeted with her fingers. She looked around the building, the green and brown glow of Moon Beans were illuminating them both. She remembered the first time she begged Sandeul to stop by or go to the drive thru for coffee. And the first time she stop by and met the cheeky barista. Hyejin look at Byul, there was a small smile on the baristas lips

"What?" Hyejin look down pouting. "I really like hanging out with you unnie"

"You like hanging out with me?"

"Yes! Sue me!" Hyejin glared at her.

Byul smiled her signature smile. Cute. "Tell you what, why don't we exchange numbers? So we can keep in touch. I'll have days off too Jinie. I can come visit you."

"Wherever you will go?"

"Wherever"

Hyejin felt for her phone but remembered it was in the car, charging.

"Here" Byul got a marker from her pocket and wrote her digits on Hyejin's cup.

"Thanks. I'll call you soon."

"Promise?"

"Pinky swear."

A car honked behind Hyejin. It was her blue Camry. Sandeul rolled down the window and tapped on his watch.

"You better be going"

Hyejin got her coffee and cake, saying goodbye.

"Hey" Byul called out when she was inside the car. "I like hanging out with you too!"

Hyejin saw her waving them goodbye till they can't see her anymore.

"Had a good time?" Sandeul asked amused.

"You bet" She felt that this rush of energy won't go away for awhile so she asked Sandeul to change seats with her.

They exchanged position and was on the road again. Hyejin drank her coffee and prepared for the long night ahead.

~~~~~~~

"Hyejin, we're here. Wake up now girl" Sandeul shook her awake hours later.

"Ok, I'm up."

Hyejin stretch for a bit and looked around with squinty eyes. She could see the first light of the day in the distance having arrived later than usual.

"Come on, get out. I'm going to park the car now."

Hyejin reach for her phone and got out. Then she remembered . . .

"Wait, I forgot something" she peered inside the car but found only the box of cake. "Oppa, where did you put the cup from the coffee shop?"

"Don't tell me you're craving for it again. Anyway, it had nothing left in it so I threw it away."

Hyejin's eyes widened. "You did what?!"

"What?!" He asked alarmed.

"That cup had Byul's number in it! You should've checked!" Hyejin yelled.

"Oh. Relax, get it next time. And stop screaming you'll wake your whole house."

"I can't get it next time! She got transferred!" She slammed the car door and slumped on the ground. "I told her I'll call as soon as possible"

Sandeul got out of the car and came towards her "I am so sorry. What if we go back, yeah, lets go back and look for the cup."

She looked up at him with a little bit of hope. "Where did you throw it?"

"Back in the stop where I started driving"

"That's 3 hours away" Hyejin shoved her head between her knees. Damn it, oppa."

"I can do it by myself then. I'll get it back if you let me go."

Hyejin shook her head and got up, she glared at Sandeul before walking away.

"Pray they'll give me her number when we go back."