Sleeping Beauty

Our Story

"Yooa I'm at my office if you need me"

I wiped sweat coming down from my temple as I rest awhile from making so much drinks and addressing complaints. After a 5 minute of break though I had to go back to work.

I checked my watch, reading 9:30 in the evening, another half hour more and my shift will end. I let out a sigh.

"Miss Moon, can I clock out early? I have a bit of emergency at home" said Yul, our drive thru attendant, when he approached me.

"Sure, is it something serious?"

"Yeah, I'm needed there right now" Yul replied with a worried tone.

"Go ahead and take care"

Yul nodded, thanked me, and walked off. I beckoned Yooa from the kitchen.

"Do you need something miss?" Yooa smiled.

"Yul went home early so I need you to man this register and I'll resume his post on the drive thru" I said patting Yooa on the shoulder. I went to man Yul's post and my first customer came up. 15 minutes later I grew bored sitting there waiting. I went back to the kitchen to grab some snack and got back on my post with a car outside waiting. Its driver was shooting worried looks at his watch.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting. Can I take your order?" I looked down at the guy and noted that he has a fluffy atmosphere around him that made him look like the charming guy in movies.

"Yes uh . . . , two Soy latte please and a cheesecake" He said and shoot another glance at his watch.

I repeated his order and completed the process. He payed with cash and we waited for the machine to print out the receipt, I glance at him, he seemed really worried. The paper came out, I ripped it off, got his change, and leaned from my post to hand it to him.

My eyes caught someone in the passenger seat. She was crouched in the seat with her eyes closed. Judging by the way she breath, she was in deep sleep. She looked so peaceful with her lips slightly parted and her tiny nose illuminated by a ray of light.

A smile, a smile that reach my ears, came to my face so suddenly. She's tiny and cute. A lock of her hair fell down to her shirt that had the batman logo in it.

I must have stared longer than I should cause the driver cleared his throat. It got my attention and I stood up quickly. "Get your order in the next window sir, thank you"

"Thanks" He said side glancing at his passenger, for the first time he flashed a boyish smile and drove on.

My assistant, Exy, went pass me to prepare the orders but I pulled her.

"I'll do it" I say, she looked at me with a weird out expression but nodded.

I couldn't repress or hide the smile while I prepared the drinks. And a wave of heat flooded me as I walked to the next window. I leaned forward again to hand over the drink. I chance a glance at the girl inspecting her for the second time. I heard her groan, scrunching the space between her eyes then she changed her position turning her back against me. For a second I thought she reminded me of a sleeping lion cub. 

"Here's your order sir, and can I say, your girlfriend's very pretty" I said with a smile on my face still eyeing the sleeping beauty.

The guy smirked. "Oh, her. No, she's my boss. Don't let her hear you. She cringes every time we get mistaken as a couple. She's already pissed at me. Says I drive all the girls away."

"Good to know" I said as I tried to suppressed a giggle. Then blushed, Byulyi you idiot, I mentally slapped myself. It was kinda creepy thing to say. "Well, I hope you come again. Have a safe trip"

"Yeah, you too." The driver said then blushed too. "I mean good night."

He once again flashed his charming smile though this time he seemed shy. I chuckled as he drove out the drive thru passing the gas station and into the expressway.

That was another customer who left with a smile. I patted my back for the nth time today and went back to work.

Moon Byulyi is carved with white ink on my name plate pinned in my black uniform. Under it read my title, manager. Manager it rang like a song in my head. I've always dreamed to be one and here I am.

The Moon Beans is a coffee shop that open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Its place on a rest stop at the side of the expressway so it gets busy especially at night. Here, I had my first job working for my grandparents. They own this as as well as every franchise of it around the country. Pretty neat huh?

Once I graduated, from the business course I took, they offered me a higher position at the company. I had refused. I wanted to experience running the shop. After all you can't run a company without knowing anything about making the actual money.

So here I am slaving it out 6 days a week from 7 in the morning till 10 in the night. Tired and exhausted I may be, I've chosen to stay in this path, but I'm happy, so far.

~~~~~~

"Byul, would you come and help me box these cheesecake I made" My mom, called out.

"In a minute!" 

I turned to my camera. "That's all for today guys. See you again next weekend!"

I said goodbye to my audience, I turned off the game, I've been playing for 4 hours and went downstairs to the kitchen where my mom and our pastry chef Elton spent the same hours on baking. A dozen of freshly baked cheesecake lined up in the island.

"Box these for me and put them in the fridge" She instructed, wiping her hands. I got the boxes from the cabinet, opened one up and started to pack. Mom went to the fridge reading from the sticky notes that adorned the metal box.

"Your dad and I will go back to the US next week" she started to say keeping her eyes on the notes. "So you'll have to help Elton with baking."

"Ok." I said nodding. I turned my attention to Elton. He's part-Korean part-French-American, the third generation of the bakers my grandpa originally hired. "Will you teach me new recipes? These cheesecakes are really in demand but I want to offer new flavors."

"Is this an effort to show off to your grandfather?" Elton teased, with a distinct accent in his voice. "One month in your managing job and you're already making some changes"

"Its just additions. I want to offer some options like cupcake or another flavor for muffins in the menu" I argued while expertly putting the cakes in their boxes.

"Slow down there tiger. We can barely keep up with the cheesecake orders. Focus first on getting your team to a well oiled machine OK? I know you want to impress your grandpa but there's no need to honey, he's already proud of you." Mom smiled.

I grinned and nodded continuing my work. She walked out the room telling me to finish up.

"She's right, you know. But if you really want to, you can search up recipes online. Print them out and I'll help you make them."

I thank Elton as I put the last cake in its place. "Let me make you a drink before you go as thanks. Cookies and cream frappe with extra whip and extra chocolate with crushed oreos on top?"

"You got it" he winked.

I made his frappe and made a soy latte for myself. The smell of coffee filled my lungs as I inhaled deeply. It was calming. I handed him the drink and he pushed a plate of lemon cake towards me. Ugh, he really gets me.

I thank him once again. He bid goodbye and went outside. I got the filled glass and plate deciding to have a snack in my room.

I settled in front of my computer and turned it on. I searched for pastry recipes. "Soon" I whispered, excitedly biting on the citrus cake.

~~~~~

A week past by smoothly. Service at The Moon Beans had never been better. And my managing capabilities was praised when my grandparents visited. I couldn't have been happier.

It was Saturday again, I arrive at work on time, 7 o'clock on the dot. I walked in from the backdoor. The kitchen is already busy prepping and filling in orders. People cheerily greeted me good morning as I made my way to the office.

I turn to open it but found it lock. Its him again, Charlie, the night manager, I mentally cursed and pounded hard on the door.

"Open the door!" I shouted so the person on the other side could hear.

The door violently flew open. "Morning miss" greeted the bastard. A smirk came to his face. He stepped aside when I walked in, laptop, bag and keys in hand.

"Morning Charlie. You're not sleeping on the job now again are you?" I raised my eyebrow facing him.

He looked like he'd just had a night of drinking who showed up in his job still hang over. His eyes were sleepy and I could tell he just woke up. I've been trying to catch him in the act but he always have his reasons.

"Oh. You know me miss. I don't permit that kind of stuff." He said yawning. "But its time for me to go home. I will tell Clint will bring you the inventory."

"But that's your job" I said crossing my arms.

"Sorry, I got busy." He smirked. He then got his bag clocked out and left.

I shook my head. Any day now and I will catch the bastard. And when I do I'll fire him myself. Getting back to work I put on my uniform. Clint brought the inventories which began my day.

•••

It was 9:30 in the evening when I stood manning the drive thru's register again when Yul said he had to go home early again. 

"Miss Moon, I can take your place if you need to get ready to go home." Yooa offered.

"Its alright, I think I need some air anyways"

I waited for just a few seconds before a car pulled up. Its window was down and I recognised the guys charming smile I saw a week before. I scanned my eyes to the passenger seat. There she was, the sleeping beauty. 

"Good evening sir" the cheeriness in my voice came back.

"Hey its you, Good evening!" Somehow he seemed more cheerful too.

"Can I take your order?"

"I'll get the cheesecake and a cup of Soy latte please"

I punch in his order in the machine. "Is that all?" I said nodding at the girl.

The guy shook his head amused. Then he pat his boss' shoulder.

"Hey, this lovely lady is asking what you're having. Would you wake up?"

"Get a vanilla latte and don't give me that soy latte again" She shooed his hand away, turning to the other side never opening her eyes. My left brow twitch but I continued to smile. Soy latte is the best invention man kind had ever invented and everyone who tells me other wise are dead to me. But somehow I found her sweet raspy voice so y. I must know her name.

"I'm sorry she had a stressful day"

"Its alright its quiet cute" I said, I just couldn't contain myself. I punched in the Vanilla flavoured latte and got the payment. I got a marker and a cup. "Can I get your name?"

"Is that really necessary?"

I blushed, busted. I lowered the marker "Forced habit"

"Its ok. I'm Sandeul, and in case your wondering, her names Hyejin." Sandeul said, smirking.

Somehow that made me smile wider. Moon Byulyi tone it down a bit. I told myself. I wrote their names. Spelling H-y-e-j-i-n. "Get your order in the next window please"

"Thank you" Sandeul said.

I prepared their order quickly humming to myself. Hyejin. What a perfect name. 

I went to the window and handed Sandeul the drinks first. "You know, you're a little different than the other people who manages the drive thru"

"Oh yeah, how so?" I asked, handing him the box of cheesecake next. 

"You're a little bit more chatty, and I like that." He said casting the stuff aside. "But aren't you gonna get in trouble for keeping too long."

"Well I'd like to see them try punishing me" I smirk and puffed out my chest. My tag glinted and showed the title.

"Cool, you're the manager!"

"I'm glad to serve you sir. I hope you come again"

"Oh definitely" he said and glanced at the girl beside him. "Well, we'll be on our way"

"Take care!" I stepped back a bit to get a last look. Hyejin was hugging a batman themed pillow between her arms. Can she get any cuter?

"Noisy much!" I heard her complain as they drove on.

I stood there for a little bit longer trying to preserve a memory. Then I felt something stir at the pits of my stomach so suddenly.

"Umm, miss, there's people outside waiting!" I hear Yooa say through the headset.

"I'm there. I'm there" I stood up straight, compose myself and went back to work.

Another half an hour later and I'm driving home. Shaking my head, I put on some music to distract myself. I did all I could on the last 15 minutes of my shift to beat myself up from working. But it was all for naught. All these butterflies keeps bothering me. And all I could think of was a sleeping beauty.