For good measure

Our Story

"So" the woman said, her arms crossed looking up at Byul murderously. "What business do you have in here Moon Byulyi"

Byul avoided the woman's eyes. She have never met her . . . or any of them, but she was not surprise that they know her name. Byul side glance at the other three girls in various state of wakefulness, all staring at her. She is not bound to anything but she might as well be for how stiff she is standing. She is sure that one wrong movement from her will mean someone would descend on her like an eagle with its prey. But she could not suppress the validation welling up inside her cause, as expected, Hyejin's friends are as intimidating as her.

Byul's eyes then dart to the side and locked eyes with Hyejin who was silently and irritably watching the whole scene crossed legged on her bed. When she arrived at Hyejin's door, the girl named Taeyeon pulled her right in, groceries in hand and wearing batman logo pyjamas. She was presented towards four ladies who was at the moment asleep, huddled in a bed in what seems to be the living room/bedroom of the place. Byul did not even have time to say her 'good mornings' because she was so confused. Until Hyejin rose among the tangle of girls in the bed and sat up alarmed.

"Unnie!" Hyejin had scrambled towards her not caring of the cries of pain as she stepped on a sleeping girl. "Didn't you get my text!!!"

Byul shook her head no and had blushed immediately as she realised, Hyejin was wearing the same batman logo pyjamas.

"Oh my god she's as dorky as our Hyegi" someone commented behind Hyejin.

"Shut up Yong!" Hyejin said before turning again to Byul. "I sent you a text! They arrived in the middle of the night, so I couldn't call you to cancel today"

Hyejin introduced them one by one. There's Tiffany who glared at her, Wheein who nodded a bit, and Taeyeon and Yongsun who smiled encouragingly at her. Hyejin explained they are in Seoul to visit her and see off Tiffany at the airport tonight.

After the introductions, they made Hyejin sit on the bed and made Byul stand in the middle of their semi circle. Byul was not certain how to act. Hyejin was too focus on scowling on her friends to help her. They started to examine her from head to foot.

Taeyeon and Yongsun started to walk in a circle around Byul, she could feel their eyes boring into her.

"Is that really necessary" Hyejin said pouting cutely in her bed.

"Of course, you went to Jeju alone for this girl, we have to know what she's made of." said Tiffany on Byul's left. Byul noticed was the tallest among them which is about the same height as her.

She stayed silent as they made their round.

"She's not that bad." said Taeyeon when she made a full circle she nudge Wheein beside her. "What do you think Wheenie?"

"She's pretty" said Wheein. Yongsun snapped her head towards the smallest girl, then turned to glare at Byul, the friendly smile wiped off of her face.

"Oh I don't compare to you guys" said Byul speaking for the first time. "You're all beautiful"

There was a series of 'ooohs' coming from all of them except Yongsun.

"Are you trying to win us over?" Yongsun narrowed her eyes on Byul, smirking. "Ok then, who do you think is the prettiest."

Hyejin's friends started to protest but without missing a beat the barista answered. "Hyejin of course"

Wheein snorted while Hyejin laughed sweetly on her bed. Byul had a grin on her face hearing Hyejin's laugh filling the room.

Taeyeon made a disgusted noise. "Ugh, it's too early for this"

"She's really greasy" Yongsun commented.

"Wait a minute" Tiffany said in a wispy voice. "She made Hyejin laugh before seven thirty"

There was a series of gasps this time.

"You're right" said Wheein.

"She's a wizard" said Taeyeon, looking at Byul in surprise.

They looked at Byul in disbelief and then one by one they approved.

"That's all I need"

"Please take care of our Hyegi, she may look fierce but she's fragile"

"Teach me your tricks master" said Wheein shaking Byul's hand.

Then Yongsun slid beside them to break them up, she narrowed her eyes on Byul.

"You're not out of the woods yet" Yongsun threatened. Byul never felt she was in one in the first place but she did not dare say that. "I'm still watching you"

After that they turned to the groceries Byul brought. Yongsun started interrogating her on why she brought them but thankfully Hyejin interrupted this time.

"Can we save the questions later? I'm hungry."

"But" Yongsun started to complain.

"Me too" said Wheein, Yongsun sighed and backed off.

"Ok, you guys are the boss"

"You're staying right?" Hyejin asked Byul half hoping she would say yes, the other half, the one with sense wanted her to decline. She doesn't know what her friends might say to Byul now that they have met.

"If they want me too"

Byul looked around and most of them were nodding their approval except Yongsun who is still sizing her up and down.

"That's settled then"

"I only bought enough for the both of us" Byul explained when they rummaged through the groceries.

"It's all western breakfast" Yongsun whined picking up the bacon and waffle mix. "It's like raiding Hyejin's fridge."

"Wait there's also kimchi, and prepped ingredients for kimbap. Eggs. Yoghurt. Oooh!" Wheein perked up. "It's the same brand I named my cat after. Ggomo"

"Wha- Byulyi you thought of everything"

"I'm glad to know Hyejin won't starve if you're around. You're like her own personal chef!"

"Tiffany-sshi!" Hyejin shouted.

"What? Do you guys remember back in college she was only consuming ramen noodles because it's the only thing she can cook."

Wheein laughed.

"Yah, you're her roommate, you were eating the same thing."

"Well if you guys are so good at cooking then why don't you make breakfast!"

Hyejin got the groceries and handed them to Tiffany then pulled Byul towards the hallway to Byul's left.

"I need to talk to Byulyi"

Hyejin opened the door at the end, pulling Byul in and then closed the door.

She let out a huge sigh. "That was nerve wrecking"

Safe from the prying eyes of her friends, with eyes closed sleepily, Hyejin came closer wrapping her hands around Byul's waist, giving the barista a gentle hug.

"Well, good morning" Byul said as the smaller girl buried her face on the crook of Byul's neck.

"Good morning" Hyejin whispered, breathing in the older girls scent.

"I should do this more often"

"What?" Hyejin asked, her breath was gentle on Byul's skin yet they sent chills down her spine.

"Come see you first thing in the morning"

"I'm grumpy in the mornings"

"Is what you say" Byul chuckled. "But it's the first time you initiated a hug."

"Is it?"

"Well if you don't count when we saw each other again last week"

Hyejin groaned. "Then you better get the best of it since it's a one time thing"

Byul tightened the hug chuckling.

"Sorry about my friends"

"Your friends are lovely"

She reached her hands cupping Hyejin's cheek and guided them up so that they were face to face. Hyejin's eyes are still closed, her soft thin lips relaxed.

"You look so fluffy. I just wanna kiss you"

Hyejin's eyes flutter open as crimson colours creep up her cheeks. Byul could feel the warmth of them through her hands.

"Did you not hear Taeyeon unnie? It's too early for that"

Byul bit her lip, letting out a soft laugh. Hyejin's eyes automatically landed on her lips. Hyejin begins to unravel from her but Byul moved her hands to wrap around the younger girl.

"Let's stay here for a while"

"Ok," Hyejin said eyes locked on Byul's lips. "but you have to stop doing that."

"What?"

"You biting your lips"

Hyejin saw the smirk on Moonbyul's lips and before she knew it her back was against the door. The barista's head cocked to the side, eyes filled with a mischievous glint, her teeth seductively biting on her bottom lip.

"I just said. . . " Hyejin trailed gulping as Byul slowly leaned in. Hyejin closed her eyes and held her breath.

And then she heard a high pitched squeak from the other side of the door followed by a loud thud.

Her eyes fluttered open meeting Byul's having the same expression. She peeled her back from the door and opened it. They looked down to see Taeyeon and Wheein sitting there. Wheein's back against Taeyeon, both of the latter's hand around Wheein's mouth.

Hyejin kept shooting dirty looks at Wheein and Taeyeon while she helped prepare the breakfast table. They both had ruined what could have been her and Byul's first kiss. If Wheein could have waited a second longer to contain her excitement then . . . then!

~~~~~~

They dined on the bedroom that Hyejin converted into her small entertainment room. The long coffee table was big enough to accommodate the six of them and they gathered around it. From what she could tell her friends are loving Moon Byul. . . Maybe too much. They had not stopped asking questions about the barista since they sat down and every answer Byul uttered seems to impress her unnies. Her gaze fell on the barista, she always had an easy manner around her and a confident charm that people seem to gravitate to. Her heart filled with such satisfaction that she droned out of the conversation and contented herself to staring at the girl right beside her.

"No way!" exclaimed Taeyeon, waking up Hyejin from her stupor, she noticed her friends were gaping at Byul.

"How come?" Wheein asked the barista.

Byul shrugged. "No one was interesting enough"

Now her friends turned to Hyejin in a mix of envy and disbelief.

"What?"

"If you hurt Moonbyul I'll disown you" said Tiffany.

"What did I do?" asked Hyejin confused.

The girls ignored her and focused on Byul again. Tiffany started asking about the coffee shop and Hyejin got bored. She gathered the plates volunteering to wash them. Tiffany saw this and shot a look at Yongsun that went unnoticed by anyone else. Yongsun got up automatically to help the maknae and together they made their way out of the room.

"I can do it unnie" said Hyejin.

"We'll finish much faster together" said Yongsun, starting to put the left overs in the trash. "They all seem to love your girlfriend!"

Hyejin smirked then realised what Yongsun said "We're not girlfriends yet"

"I thought you were dating?"

"Yeah" Hyejin smiled at the thought, Byulyi? Her girlfriend? "but being girlfriends is a different thing"

Yongsun looked unconvinced.

"We have to make it official unnie"

"If you say so" the older girl said, shrugging. "but I don't think Byul thinks the same thing"

"She does, trust me."

They fell into unison, Yongsun soaped the dishes then passed it on to Hyejin to wash the suds off, each working silently. Hyejin is drying the plates when Yongsun spoke up.

"Has she surfaced yet? Tried to contact you?"

Hyejin knows the 'she' Yongsun is talking about is Kei. She shake her head no.

"Maybe she went back to London"

"No, unnie, she's here in Seoul"

Yongsun doesn't question how Hyejin knew that.

"But don't worry, I'm doing my best to avoid her."

Yongsun leaned on the counter to face Hyejin. "What if you can't? You can't do it forever, you know. She'll track you down."

"I've got people helping me Yong"

"But Byul has to know."

Hyejin's raced at the thought. She laughed it off. "She doesn't have to, unnie"

It's crazy, why would it make her nervous? She has the situation under control. She put down the last plate and suggested they go back.

"She has the right to know" Yongsun said standing her ground. "The girl is in love with you Hyejin-ah"

Hyejin laughed lauder this time. The idea is crazier than she imagined. Yes, Byul likes her but love? That's . . .

"I think the air here in Seoul is not agreeing with you Yong"

"Hyejinie," Yongsun said in a stern tone that made Hyejin stop. "I'm serious, she said you're the first girl she ever dated, that must account to something right?"

Hyejin took in a breath of air. What?

Seeing the look on Hyejin's face Yong knew this is news to her. "Were you not listening earlier? That's why Fany said she'll disown if you hurt the girl."

"Alright, I know" said Hyejin, faking it. Is she really the first girl? Remembering those times Byul had the upper hand between them and it is highly unlikely. Byul must have lied. She'll have to confront her for that. "She doesn't have to know, I'm handling the situation."

She lead the way back to the hallway but Yongsun cut her off. "Can you?"

Hyejin's eyes met Yong's and the hurt must have registered in them because Yongsun softened.

"I'm sorry"

"I don't want to discuss her right now unnie, you guys are here, Byul's here, there is no one else I'd rather focus on right now"

"Alright, I'm sorry"

Hyejin gestured they go back but Yong had already started there. "Last one there has to buy gopchang tonight" the older girl announced. They raced towards the room at the far end of the hall. Yongsun is laughing her dolphin laugh as she opened the door, Hyejin just a second behind her.

As soon as she walked in and saw the people in the room staring back at her she sensed something was wrong. The merry atmosphere she left earlier is replaced by a cold, subdued air.

Hyejin's eyes met Wheein's, who averted her gaze.

"What going on?" She asked dreading for the answer. Her eyes travelled to Byul. "Byul?"

"We're just talking about going out." Tiffany piped up. "We're convincing Byul here."

"I said, you should go with them without me." Byul shrugged looking at Tiffany. "It's not like you guys see each other every day like we do."

"Are you kidding? You should come."

But Byul is standing up, she swept her gaze in each of Hyejin's friends who stayed in the room with her then met Hyejin's last. The playful aura that always surrounded the barista is hiding behind something, Hyejin can't quiet describe it.

"I should go. It's not too late to go to the cafe." She closed the distance between them and stood beside Hyejin. She bowed stiffly at her friends. "It was nice to meet you guys. I hope you visit Seoul again."

Hyejin looked around for someone to help her but they were waving their goodbyes. Her gut is twisting inside her. What happened?

"Sure will!"

"We'll come by the cafe!"

"Wait" Hyejin frowned looking at her friends in disbelief. "You're really going? What happened after I left?"

"Nothing, Jinie." Hyejin narrowed her eyes at Byul who muttered a goodbye to her friends and pulled Hyejin out of the room. Hyejin let the barista pull her until they were outside her door. "I'm fine. Your friends are amazing."

"But I was looking forward to our lazy Sunday" Hyejin pouted, looking miserable.

"Me too" Byul said biting her lip.

There it is again. The foreign look that just minutes ago didn't exist in Byul's eyes. Hyejin reached out to cup the barista's cheek. What does it mean?

"Tell you what, you can come and close up with me tonight, if you want."

"I can?" Hyejin could hear the relief in her voice.

She nodded. She stared at Byul's jet black eyes. "Unnie, are we good?"

And just like that the barista's playful smile is back. "Of course, why wouldn't we be?"

Hyejin glanced at her door.

"Relax, nothing happened." Byul said in the most comforting tone she could muster.

Slowly Hyejin seems to relax. "Alright, see you"

"Ah, but there's one more thing." said Byul leaning in. "How about a kiss goodbye?"

Hyejin raised an eyebrow. Byul copied her, with a sharp smile on her lips.

She glanced at her door again then she turned to Byul and pulled her towards the elevator. She pressed the down button.

"You could've just said no" said Byul, chuckling.

Hyejin did not say anything as she crossed her arms waiting for the elevator.

After some tense seconds the elevator doors open. Byul turned to say goodbye but Hyejin wrapped her arms around the barista, pulling her head down, she raised her heel just a bit and planted a kiss on Byul's unsuspecting lips.

The contact alone sent shivers down her spine. When Byul's chest rose for a second then she relaxed and leaned in closer, Hyejin felt her legs shake, her heart drumming on her chest. She felt Byul's arms wrapping around her waist tightly holding her into place. Heat surge into her very core and an overwhelming need consumes her. She moved her lips to encase the bottom lip she had been wanting to bite herself, savouring each second, then she felt Byul moved with her own, asserting dominance, taking the lead from Hyejin.

Hyejin likes it. In fact, she's loving it! She wants more but suddenly the barista pulled back. They were both panting, looking at each other, still holding on tight.

Byul recovered first, she reached out and tucked a stray hair behind Hyejin's ear and smiled.

"Your ears are burning"

Hyejin release the hold on the barista and stepped back. Count on Moon Byulyi to point out the obvious.

"Go" Hyejin manage to say between shallow breaths.

"One more? For good measure?"

"Go before the doors close on you"

Byul chuckled but she quickly covered the space between them, held Hyejin's head in place and gently kissed her forehead.

"See you, Jinie" Byul said in the teasing tone that is her signature. She slowly retracted from Hyejin again biting her lip.

Now that Byul knows how that affects her Hyejin doesn't care anymore. She stepped in, gently pushing Byul inside the elevator but not before stealing a quick kiss on the barista's lips

"For your good measure" Hyejin said and the door finally closed, the grin on the barista's face etching onto her memory.

~~~~~~

 

 

Hi, I apologize for the random upload times. I try to produce at least 3 chapters each month but April and May has not been good to me mentally. However, I'm getting better now so I may be able to write enough for the next month.
I hope you guys are safe and healthy. I'm always grateful you are still reading my story until now. So thank you ^^