Happy Birthday, Moon Byulyi

Our Story

 

Hyejin’s eyebrows was on the brink of meeting as ten o'clock in the morning rolled by, distracting her from her current work, wrapping the prices for tomorrows party. She kept glancing at her phone which at the moment was trying to contact Byul. The call ended without the barista answering.

 

“ARG!” she yelled suddenly.

 

Yongsun, Wheein, and Taeyeon looked at her. They were in her room helping with the load of work that the party demanded.

 

“Hyejinah,” Taeyeon sighed, annoyed. “Do you need to take a break?”

 

“No” she pouted, aggressively putting tape in a chaotically wrapped box. Ugh, I don’t why she’s not answering!”

 

“She may be busy”

 

“Yeah, isn’t it her birthday?”

 

“But she would still answer me to tell me she’s busy” Hyejin groaned. Did something happen to her?

 

Then heard giggles bursting around the room her eyes sharply looked at Taeyeon and Wheein.

 

“What?!”

 

“Aren’t you being so clingy?” Wheein laughed.

 

Clingy? “It’s only natural. I miss her. Get yourself a girlfriend then you’d understand.

 

Wheein made a face at her.

 

“Seeing you like this makes me happy.” 

 

Hyejin turned to Yong. “Being miserable?”

 

“No, being in love.” Yongsun teased, the other two giggled again, making Hyejin blush.

 

“Are we twelve?”

 

“No but you’re blushing like one” Taeyeon quipped.

 

“Pfft” Yong covered to stifle a laugh.

 

“Get out of my house” Hyejin said making her friends laugh out loud. She rolled her eyes and dialed Byul again, deciding to call the cafe if she doesn’t pick up by lunch. Byulyi, pick up.

 

At lunch however, her mom decided to eat at the backyard, making Hyejin and her friends set it up. It felt like the whole town was there when everyone who was helping was invited to eat. They looked so merry chatting while eating that Hyejin felt even lonelier. I miss her.

 

After lunch, Hyejin was tasked to pick up the ingredients they’ll need for tomorrow. It was exhausting, and she didn’t have the time to call Byul, though after she had food in her system she wasn’t as grumpy as this morning. She had some time to relax as she and Yong drove to town.

 

“Unnie, you’re quiet” she side glance at Yongsun. Her unnie always had a question or two for her but after they left the house, she shut up.

 

Then Yongsun looked at her, confessing, “Hyejinah, I want to move to Seoul again.”

 

Hyejin pressed on the breaks.

 

“You do?!” Hyejin’s face lit up. So when are you planning to move? Are you and Wheein going to live together?

 

Yong look at her in shock, waved her hands in front of her. “It’s just an idea. I haven’t asked Wheein yet.”

 

“An idea? You said you wanted to”

 

Yong put her hands down, “Alright you got me. I’ve been been looking at places for months” she sighed, But I haven’t told Wheein. I don’t know how she’d react if I told her. . . I followed her here after she graduated so I- . . . so we-. . . so we could maintain the channel easier. But I. . . I’ve been missing Seoul’s energy. The hustle and bustle of the city fuels me to make content, the things we’ve been putting out lately had been so so, we can’t think of ideas and if we do have them, our resources are limited to what we have here.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything to her?”

 

“I’m scared, what if she doesn’t want to come with me? Hyejinah, help me tell her, please? Let’s convince her, please?

 

“I think you need to do this on your own unnie.”

 

Hyejinah! You and Taeyeon unnie are no help.” Yong said making a face, she slumped back in her seat. “I don’t want to leave Wheein behind.

 

“Why don’t you find out what she thinks first, then we could go from there?

 

Yong looked at her helplessly then she sighed and look out of the window. “Okay”

 

Hyejin took her feet off of the break. The car, much like Yong and Wheein’s relationship, slowly moved forward. She always thought they were a package deal and thinking of them being separate was impossible. She wonders what Wheein would think of this. Wheein had always hated Seoul, the times she would come back to their dorm and yell ‘I want to go home’ is all to familiar to Hyejin. And now she’s gonna be forced to choose between comfort and Yongsun. 

 

Choose between comfort and Yongsun, Hyejin smirked, the answer is obvious.

 

When do you want to move?

 

Next year, I hope, I found apartments we could choose from.

 

As expected of Yongsun unnie” Hyejin smiled. The only thing left to do is-”

 

Tell Wheein, I know. I’ll tell her. Soon.

 

“You’re gonna be fine Yongsunnie”  

 

The trip to the store took longer than they expected, the sun had set when they pulled up at the Ahn’s residence. Hyejin’s mom told them Wheein and Taeyeon got bored so they went home.

 

“I’ll just go home then” Yong said.

 

“Have dinner here, I’ll text them to come back.”

 

“Then I’ll go home and change.” Hyejin waved goodbye at Yong, mentally buckling her seat belt for Wheesun, as their fans dubbed them, is going to have a major development in the next few days.

 

Hyejin sighed and fished her phone out of her pocket, now to update herself about her own relationship, she dialed Byul again. After two rings she picked up. But Hyejin’s heart fell to her toes after hearing the voice at the other end of the line.

 

“I have the phone, are you home? Come inside, I want to talk to you.”

 

“D-dad?“

 

 

Byul arrived at her grandparents home just hours after Hyejin left. She couldn’t go back to sleep and wanted to call Hyejin but her phone was nowhere to be found. Looking for it around her condo, her car and the cafe yielded no results.

 

“Boss, you had your phone up until you left yesterday. I remember cause you were on it when you left“

 

Byul facepalmed. She must have left it at last nights event place. But it turned out that it was the least of her problems.

 

“Miss, your grandma called after not being able to reach you. She said you had to go home right away.”

 

It was one thing when her Grandpa rushes her but it was another when her Grandma does. No one makes the head Moon wait. Not even the old man. She got off her car and looked up at her childhood home. It always felt nostalgic when she was visiting, so why is she feeling so out of place right now?

 

“Your grandma is in the garden, miss.”

 

Byul made a bee line there. She found the welcoming sight of the the elegantly dressed lady, sipping tea, she flashed Byul a smile when she saw her. Stunning isn’t she? her Grandpa would always tell her when they see her coming. Stunning can’t begin to describe her beauty which is why she can’t believe it when people say in her youth Byul looked just like her.

 

“Look who it is, the birthday girl.” Byul kissed both of her cheeks. “Happy birthday my dear.”

 

Byul took a seat across her. “How is the most beautiful Moon on earth?”

 

The lady raise a brow. “There is something different about you. I can’t help but be intrigued. What caused my granddaughter to look this happy on her birthday?”

 

“I’m just happy to see you again”

 

Grandma’s voice took a serious tone suddenly, “You dare lie to your granny?”

 

Byul was taken aback, she sat up. “Grandma, why would you think I’m lying?”

 

“I was checking if you were going to tell me the truth.”

 

“The truth?”

 

“That smile could only mean one thing” Grandma leaned in, Byul mirrored her, she whispered, “You’re in love”

 

Byul leaned back. She covered and looked away. “T-that is pure speculation.”

 

Doubling down? Tut tut tut. As it happens I have proof.”

 

Grandma pushed the brown envelope sitting on the table between them.”Take a look for yourself.”

 

Byul gingerly reach for it, she fished out it’s contents, and immediately went white upon seeing what was inside. It was photos of her and Hyejin, dozens. She suddenly remembered Kei and how she took a photo of her the first time they met. She look at her grandma, unbelieving.

 

“You were spying on me?” She asked, hurt leaking out her voice. More than anyone she trusted her grandma the most. Why would she do this?

 

Your grandpa said you fired someone from the branch you’ve been working on. He said you showed the HR hours of videos with him sleeping on the job.” She paused sipping her tea as she study Byul. You seldom use your authority to make these kinds of decisions so I found it odd that you did it all on your own. Good job on catching him. But it makes me wonder, you’ve been out of that branch for two months at that point. As far as I know you got all of your staff. So I did an investigation on my own. I asked your secretary why would she do this now?”

 

“Secretary?” 

 

“The one you’ve been training to become a manager, her name is Yooa.

 

Byul’s shoulder fell, she even had Yooa involved.

 

“She was incredibly loyal to you, answering vaguely, alas she cracked after some time.”

 

“You mean you threatened her?”

 

“I met her personally, and asked her nicely.” She smiled gently at Byul. “I wouldn’t do anything to her if she’s this loyal to you. In the end she said, it’s a personal matter and that I should ask you.”

 

Byul felt a mix of pride, good job Yooa, and anger, at Grandma She told you to ask me, not spy on me

 

“Would you have told me the truth?”

 

”The truth?” Byul nibbled on her bottom lip. “. . .

 

Grandma nodded at her encouragingly, seeing as she didn’t react about Hyejin being a woman, maybe it was time to tell her.

 

The truth is that, I’m dating her, the woman on the photo, her name is Ahn Hyejin, we met a few months ago.” Byul began. And once she opened , information came pouring out of her like water when a dam opens. She told her grandma everything that involved Ahn Hyejin and right to the time when Charlie became a problem. The old lady remained silent as she told her story.  Byul was getting worried as it was coming to a close.

 

“After I learned about what he did I went to his cafe and set up a camera. It gained footage for three days which was enough evidence to get him fired.” Byul said, her brows furrowing at the memory. “He took two months away from us. I can never forgive him for that.”

 

Finally her grandma smiled and then chuckled. “You really are a Moon, Mansaeng. Have I ever told you that you always remind me of your grand father. You might look like me but you have his personality.”

 

Byul fidgeted over the brown envelope still clutch in her hands. That was her reaction?

 

“It won’t be easy for your Grandpa to accept it” Grandma said, as she removed something from her hand. A few seconds later, something clattered on the table in front of her. It was a ring. “Here, it’s my birthday present for you.”

 

Byul gasped, “This is your engagement ring.”

 

“You know how I got this?”

 

Byul nodded.

 

Once upon a time, a boy and a girl fell in love. The boy had everything but the girl had none, despite this they met and loved each other. When he wanted to marry her, his father wouldn’t allow them, so he turned his back on family and eloped with her. Having nothing, he worked hard to make every promise he did when he had everything.

 

“He saved up for this for years” She laughed. “We could have used this for another purpose at that time but he told me it’s a token of his love.”

 

Byul brushed away the memory she heard it about a million times that she felt indifferent, what’s the purpose of reminding me?

 

“Those photos plus the report proves to me that you are indeed in love. . . And your girlfriend?” Byul nodded. Feels the same. That’s why I’m giving you my full blessing.”

 

Byul’s heart leaped out of her chest as she rushed her Grandma to give her a tight hug. Her eyes welled up in tears as she said, “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I love you.

 

I still need to meet her. Can I? Byul could only nod her head. Her eyes won’t stop leaking.

 

Once Byul calmed down, she sat back down and saw the ring, then she blushed. Why is Grandma giving it to her? An engagement ring at that, without warning, Hyejin’s image flashed in her mind. Hyejin in a wedding gown. She felt another surge of heat spreading throughout her face. Byul swallowed.

 

 

Byul was permitted to go after her grandma has had enough of her questioning. She blushed as she got out of the garden trying not to think of the conversation she just had. She had to get it out of her mind so her feet took her to the only place she felt comfortable in. The kitchen.

 

Everyone’s gaze turned to her when she walked in. It had been a year since she saw these faces.

 

“Moon Byulyi!”

 

“Byulah!”

 

“Birthday girl!”

 

“Mansaeng!”

 

They all gave her a warm welcome, getting passed around for hugs. Until she landed in front of the head maid. Look how tall you’ve grown. 

 

Are you mocking me, auntie?Byul said looking up at the almost 6 foot tall woman. She welcomed Byul to her arms, squeezing her tightly. “Auntie, I can’t breath.”

 

Auntie chuckled and let her go. “Did your grandma talk to you about marriage?”

 

Byul blushed.

 

She’s always sighing these days. Always asking when will her only granddaughter be married.

 

Hyejin’s image in a wedding gown flashed in her mind again, she was in front of her, mouthing ‘I do’. That’s exactly the kind of talk she doesn’t want to talk about right now.

 

Byul cleared . “Please let me help”

 

I’m working on the pastries” The maid pointed at the oven, “Why don’t you help me make them this year?”

 

Byul rolled up her sleeve, ready to go. “Let’s do it”

 

Byul had to work a lot of dough but as the hour rolled by it became a monotonous job and her mind drifted. The thought of Hyejin wearing the red dress, then a wedding gown, the oversize shirt she took with her this morning, the image of her wearing nothing. Byul’s mind was about to explode. A kind of excitement filled her gut. If they got married would Hyejin change her name to Moon Hyejin? Or I could be Ahn Byulyi?

 

Byul’s grin reached the skies.

 

Moon Byulyi!” someone called. Byul was pulled from her fantasy when she was being pushed to the side.

 

“You’re ruining my dough!” Her auntie complained. “I think you need some rest, go on now, out of my kitchen.”

 

Byul kicked herself for getting kicked out of the kitchen. Auntie finally let her help with the pastries, it was her time to learn. But maybe it was for the best Byul can’t focus on that right now. She blamed Grandma for giving her the ring making her think about marriage.

 

I haven’t even told the old man yet She sighed, fishing the ring out of her pocket. She thought about what her grandma said,

 

“Show that to your grand father, this will mean you have my blessing.”

 

Just then a staff came up looking for her. “Miss, your grandpa wants to talk to you in his office.

 

Byul bit her lip.

 

Well, it’s now or never.

 

 

Byul found Grandpa in his office, sleeves rolled back, spray bottle in hand, watering his plants.

 

“Mansaeng?”

 

“Yes, sir.” Her hand was getting clammy as it tightly clutch around the ring.

 

He turned to her and smiled. “Happy Birthday to my favorite, granddaughter.”

 

She smiled weakly.

 

“Have a seat.” He said, continuing his work. “I happen to have the best birthday present for you this year.”

 

She walked to his desk, her legs stiffly taking one step at a time.

 

I’m going to make the announcement today.” Grandpa said after she was seated. “That my granddaughter Moon Byulyi will be the sole heir to my corporation. Now how is that for a present? I’m sure even your grandmother won’t be able to top it.”

 

Byul opened her hand the ring sitting on her palm, she smiled, I beg to differ, she thought but didn’t tell him that.

 

“There’s the smile I expected.” He chuckled. “On a more serious note. You know what my announcement will entail right?

 

Yes, Byul knows too well, suitors left and right, vying for the Moon family’s fortune through marriage. To summarize: Stress.

 

My business partners are going to make their offers for your hand. If you can’t find one on your own then I’ll suggest good people.

 

 She cleared , she had to act before he makes anything permanent.

 

“Before you do it. You should listen to me, only then should you decide to make me your heir.” She paused. “I. . . ”

 

This was harder than she thought, it felt like a lump formed on making it hard to continue.

 

“What is it?”

 

Moon Byulyi, you got this.

 

“I am dating someone.”

 

What a wonderful news! Why did you hesitate?” he asked, raising a brow. Then a thought seem to cross his mind. “Just like your father I see. I remember the day he told me about your mom. He was just as nervous, keeps beating around the bush until I told him to out with it. Perhaps, you are dating a poor nobody?”

 

Byul mouth some words but no sound came out.

 

“You think I would judge him for his social status? You should know me better than that. It will come no shock to you that I come from humble beginnings.”

 

“Yeah” Byul sighed. That’s not the issue.

 

“So will you bring him to me? I promise I will not judge him on anything else other than his character.”

 

“You cannot meet him.” Byul gulped. “Cause the person I’m dating is a woman.”

 

Byul saw her grandpas smile fell as he processed what she said. “A woman.”

 

The old man set the bottle on the desk and faced her. He scanned her from head to foot as if only seeing her for the first time. He became silently still. And Byul was becoming nervous by the second.

 

She couldn’t stand the silence.

 

Her name is Ahn Hyejin. I would describe her to you but you wouldn’t understand. Even I, can’t, she occupies my thoughts since the moment I met her. I don’t know how she did it. But she makes me think of her without even trying. I feel so silly making myself blush just naming her Moon Hyejin.

 

Grandpa looked like he had been slapped on the face. “Moon Hyejin! Have you lost your mind?! How can two woman be in this kind of vile relationship?” He slammed his hand on the desk making Byul flinch, she accidentally dropped the ring. “Marriage like this is against the law! Think of what the public will say!”

 

Byul didn’t think it would be easy but she didn’t think he would raise his voice like this. Still, she had to try. She picked up the ring. Sir, I know the world sees our relationship as a sin but with your support, their opinions would not hold any bearing. 

 

She placed the engagement ring on his table.

 

Where did you get that?”

 

Grandma knows and she gave this to me to show you”

 

He looked at her confused then at the engagement ring  sitting between them.

 

“She told me I have her blessing.”

 

He values Grandmas opinion more than anyone else. If someone were to change his mind, it would be her. Byul put all her hope on that. And if he still don’t understand, what then? If she were to lose everything what then?

 

Grandpa stared at the ring for a long while, Byul could hear her heartbeat drumming against her chest. Her dad and her mom, her grandma, their faces swam in her mind. Would she be able to abandon them? She looked at grandpa, hopeful.

 

Finally, he picked up the ring, examined it closer, then he looked up and said the words Byul had been dreading to hear, “Break up with her or you will no longer be my heir.”

 

To her surprise the decision came faster than a wishing star. “Well then, sir, I guess you have to find a new one.”

 

His jaw clenched. “You don’t know what you are giving up.”

 

Byul laughed bitterly. “Coming from a man who had done the same.”

 

He stood up. “Get out!”

 

“That ring is mine” Byul glared at him then at the ring clutched in his hand.

 

“Nothing belongs to you!”

 

The tears came unbidden, Byul turned her back against him. “I thought you would understand. I thought a man who knows what love feels like, would be the first person to understand.”

 

Birthdays had always been hard on her but this one was the worst. She chuckled in misery as she walked out of there, whispering, “Happy Birthday, Moon Byulyi”

 

 

When did you have two phones? Hyejin’s dad asked as he handed Byul’s phone to her.

 

H-how did you get this?

 

It was in the venues parking lot yesterday, you must have dropped it on the way in. I completely forgot to return it.

 

Hyejin opened the phone. It was password protected but the lock screen photo was of her.

 

It kept ringing while I was in a meeting so I put it on silent. I accidentally brought it with me, sorry.

 

“No, it’s okay dad, thanks.

 

“What are you doing with two phones anyway?”

 

“It’s a. . . gift to myself. The old one was getting faulty so I decided to buy another.” Hyejin prayed he’ll believe her.

 

“Okay.”

 

Once she was in the clear, she hurriedly went outside to her car for some privacy. How lucky was it that she was named Hyejin in Byul’s phone and that it was her photo on the lockscreen. She opened the phone and entered the password, the photo of Byul kissing her on the cheeks greeted her. That was so close. Hyejin thought, breathing a mix of amusement and relief. 

 

She checked the time, a quarter past seven in the evening. The cafe should still be open. She dialed Yooa to let her know.

 

It took two rings for Yooa to pick up. “Boss! Great you found your phone!”

 

“I-”

 

I have all the presents you prepared for miss Hyejin ready to be sent to Jeonju. Will you be picking them up or should I have them delivered to you?

 

Why would Byul pick up a package arriving in Jeonju? Hyejin asked.

 

Both of  them on the call gasped upon realization. They said in unison,

 

“M-miss Hyejin?!” Yooa asked in horror.

 

“Byul is coming here?!” Hyejin asked in excitement.

 

“Uh oh” Yooa said, confirming it.

 

Hyejin screamed in excitement and before she knew it, she was out of her car skipping around, jumping in joy. The misery of missing the barista was fading away. Then she saw Taeyeon in the distance coming towards her, an idea came up, she started to run towards Taeyeon.

 

“Miss Hyejin please don’t tell my boss, it was suppose to be a surprise.”

 

“Don’t worry Yooa, my lips are sealed! Hyejin saw the confusion on Taeyeons face when Hyejin grabbed her wrist, mouthing ‘come with me’ Where is she?”

 

Boss didn’t tell me but she called me half an hour ago to prepare the presents. She doesn’t have a phone yet so I’m guessing she called from her grandparents house.”

 

“If she calls again tell her to call me”

 

Of course miss”

 

Thank you for the information Yooa. Have a merry Christmas!”

 

You too miss.

 

Hyejin was panting when she hang up the phone, Taeyeon in a worse state than her, they arrived at Yong’s house, entering it unannounced, they went straight upstairs to Yong’s bedroom.

 

“Ahn Hyejin this better be good.” Taeyeon said, doubling over, exhausted.

 

Hyejin muttered an apology and knocked on Yongsuns door. She opened it immediately to see Yongsun sitting on her bed, staring at something on it.

 

Yong jumped at her arrival. Hyejin walked in.

 

A person rose from the bed, it was Wheein, she looked at everyone sleepily. “Wheeinie you’re here, I was about to call you! Ok, you guys have to help me prepare a surprise!”

 

For who? grumbled Wheein.

 

“What surprise?” Taeyeon asked, slumping on a chair.

 

“I just found out that Moon Byulyi is coming here. She thinks she’s so sly trying to surprise me but watch as the surpriser become the surprisee” Hyejin laughed maliciously. Let’s prepare a surprise for her.

 

I don’t think it works that way” Wheein commented.

 

Yongsun nodded, “She already knows you’re here.

 

“But Unnie, she doesn’t know that I’m going to ask her to be my girlfriend, does she?”

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: It's our Moonstars birthday woot woot! :D. Also, hi, ehe