Dream of me

Our Story

That kiss was all Hyejin could think of during the duration of her friends stay. At times it would drive her to her own world that she could not make out what topics are her friends talking about. And by the end of the day, they were sure that Hyejin was positively in love.

They were quiet right. Hyejin had never longed for their reunion more than now. So she could look into Moonbyul's eyes once again, be wrapped up in her arms and be the only subject of her attention. Though the thoughts of her deeper feelings is moved to the side to dwell in the excitement and anticipation of their meeting tonight.

After they had said their farewells to Tiffany at the airport the four friends with Hyejin driving her blue Camry made their to Moonbeans in a mix of sad and merry spirits, sad because Tiffany would not be able to attend the Ahn Family's annual Christmas party which was 3 weeks away and merry because at final last Hyejin agreed for them to visit the barista in her natural element.

"It's going to feel unbalanced without Fany unnie" said Hyejin.

"You should invite Byul!" Wheein exclaimed in the passenger seat.

"Are you crazy?" Yongsun said. "What would Hyejin's dad say?"

Hyejin stiffened.

The thought of introducing another girl to her dad has not occurred to her until now. It made her anxious, especially after the first and the last girl she introduced scarred him so bad.

"Do you think he'll like Byul?" Hyejin asked, keeping her eyes on the road.

"Of course, Hyejin-ah. I think she's perfect for you!" said Wheein.

"You've only met her for less than two hours" Yong commented.

"So?" Wheein turned slightly on her seat to address Yong in the backseat.

"Don't you think you need more time to judge to know if uncle will really like her?"

"I don't need more time to know that Byul unnie really cares for Hyejinie. Because I saw how she does it and it's really admirable."

"We all saw that with someone else at first and look at where it led, uncle told Hyejin to stop dating women."

The four of them went silent. Taeyeon gave Yong's shoulder a light reprimanding slap and nodded at Hyejin.

"Sorry, I- I didn't mean-"

"Don't worry about it unnie" said Hyejin, looking at Yong through the rearview mirror, smirking. "You have two extra hours to get to know her better. Make it count."

And so Yongsun did. From the moment the four friends sat in the corner booth at Moonbeans cafe they were joined by Moonbyul, Yongsun grilled the barista on everything she could not ask before. Hyejin was embarrassed at first but became increasingly amused with Byul's witty comebacks at her friend. Most questions though seemed to be directed at Byul's devotion to Hyejin. Wheein, Taeyeon and Yongsun couldn't help but admire the greasy yet romantic manner she displays.

"It's like Hyejin bewitched you" Yongsun said, looking at Byul in wonder.

Byul smirked, she took Hyejin's hand, kissed it, and looking lovingly at Hyejin's eyes, she whispered, "Body and soul"

Yongsun crossed her arms, leaned back on her chair and asked no more questions. Hyejin took this as a sign of approval. She was triumphant, that's 4 out of 4, she thought.

It was nine thirty when her friends was forced to say their goodbye's to catch the last bus to Jeonju.

"I like her" Yongsun whispered to Hyejin as they hugged. "Wheein's right, you should invite Byul, uncle will like her."

"Unnie, you've only met her for less than five hours" said Hyejin, a teasing smile on her lips.

"Oh very funny"

Hyejin laughed.

After her friends left, Hyejin counted the minutes till closing time, feeling like the minutes is stretching into hours now that Byul was too busy to talk. At final last, just when she was about to doze off from boredom Byul came to her, removing her green apron.

"Want a hot chocolate before we leave?"

"Sure"

"Then this way madam" said Byul.

Hyejin having registered what that meant lit up. She could see Yooa pulling down the blinds, the roll up doors up front have been brought down, the cafe looked eerie at night. She took Byul's hand as the barista led the way to the kitchen, the staff have all been gone, a few moments later Yooa pass by them saying goodnight.

The kitchen is small but they made the most of it. A fridge filled with boxes of cake and beverages is place next to a small window looking out at the service area. Another fridge was close to the chef's kitchen for easy access on ingredients they need to make a pack lunch. Byul pulled a bar stool for Hyejin placing it in-front of the service window.

The dim lights, the unusual silence, and the thought that this was their first time being left alone since the events of the morning made the place feel so intimate. Hyejin watch as Byul set to work, the baristas delicate hands handling each tool with ease and precision. She wondered if Wheein was right. . .

"Byul-ah, can you mix cocktails?"

"I can" Byul smiled.

"Oh?"

"My granddad forbid me to but I went behind his back to learn bartending"

"You can do tricks?"

"Of course" said Byul smugly as she poured steaming chocolate into two mugs. She gave one to Hyejin and leaned on the counter.

"Can I ask? What did your friends really think of me?"

Hyejin smiled, she blew on her drink and took a sip before answering. "Whee and Taengoo thinks you're cool, Tiffany really liked that you can cook and Yong, well, she said she likes you"

"Are you sure? She seemed hostile"

"She was worried but you showed her how much you care for me" Hyejin assured her. "In fact, she said I should invite you to a party my family is throwing on Christmas day back in Jeonju."

"Oh?" Byul set her cup down and frowned.

"It's not a big party but it's our tradition, our employees in town are going to be there, their family's too and my family's friends." Hyejin explained, rapidly. "But it's Christmas I-, I understand if you have plans with your family."

Byul nodded but made no immediate answer. A moment pass without them speaking, just sipping on their mugs staring into space. Then one thought made Hyejin look up.

"Why don't you make the Gotham cakes anymore?"

Byul seemed to be surprise at the question. "I got distracted, what with you disappearing out of nowhere and me moving branches."

"Will you make them?" Hyejin smiled softly, "For me?"

"Sure" said Byul, she saw the empty mug on Hyejin's hand and gestured to give it to her. "We should go"

"I didn't see your car in your parking space" said Hyejin as she watch Byul quickly wash the mugs.

"I was hoping you'd come pick me up tonight so I took a taxi to get here"

"And what if I didn't come"

"But you did Jinie" said the barista, Hyejin noticed the strain in her voice as she said this.

Hyejin hopped off of the bar stool, and approached Byul.

"Let's go?" said the barista, wiping her hands.

"Something wrong?"

The barista bit her lip. Hyejin raised an eyebrow.

"We'll go on circles if I deny I have something on my mind right now, so I won't" Hyejin felt the coldness of the Byul's hands as the barista reached for hers. "But it's nothing to worry about. I'll tell you, when I find the right words to say."

"Is it bad?"

"It's only as bad as you think it is."

"But that makes me worry"

Byul chuckled. "Can I kiss your worries away?"

Hyejin pouted. Byul took a chance and leaned in for a quick kiss. She did it twice, thrice and more times. Hyejin received them all giggling.

Finally Byul pulled back biting her bottom lip. "I love your giggles"

Hyejin rolled her eyes, "You're just trying to distract me"

"You love it" said Byul. This time leaning in to plant a soft, lingering kiss.

It was time to go, Byul insisted on driving, Hyejin let her without a fight. Her heart was beating on full throttle. She leaned on her side against the passenger seat watching Byul who was not betraying any emotion on her part. It frustrated Hyejin how Byul could keep so cool after all that when she was trying her might not to reveal that her legs were shaking.

The car started, a song was on the radio, Hyejin satisfying herself by examining each of the barista's features. The blonde hair now showing black on their roots, the thin clump of bangs parted in the middle to fall down just beside her eyes. The eyes watching the road ahead, her eye brows slightly frowning in concentration, her scarlet cheeks colouring her pale complexion. Hyejin spent a long time gazing at her lips, the barista's teeth peeking from where she was obsessively biting her bottom lip. She was gently humming.

"What's on your mind?" said Byul, glancing at Hyejin.

"You"

Byul smirked, "I like the sound of that"

Another song on the radio came on, she saw Byul's thin long fingers drumming on the steering wheel. The barista glanced at her, smiling softly, and her eyes widened when Byul started singing along playfully.

"Don't stray~

Don't ever go away~

I should be much too smart for this~

You know it gets the better of me sometimes~

When you and I collide~

I fall into an ocean of you~

Pull me out in time~

Don't let me drown, let me down~

I say it's all because of you~

And here I go losing my control~

I'm practicing your name so I can say to your face~

It doesn't seem right to look you in the eye~"

Byul grinned and glanced to the side meeting Hyejin's who's brown ones were intently gazing at her.

"Eyes on the road Byulyi"

"Indeed it's time tell you why~

I say it's infinitely true~"

Byul took a deep breath in, Hyejin expected her to sing louder but Byul sang in a softer, gentler tone.

"Say you'll stay ~

Don't come and go~

Like you do~

Sway my way ~

Yeah I need to know all about you~

The next lines were sang in a hush tone, like there's some subdued feeling attached to them.

"And there's no cure and no way to be sure~

Why everything's turned inside out instilling so much doubt~

It makes me so tired~

I feel so uninspired~

My head is battling with my heart~

My logic has been torn apart. . ."

Byul trailed away and let the singer continue on without her.

"Why'd you stop?" Hyejin asked. She wanted more, she wanted to hear Byul's voice longer.

"We're here" said Byul.

Hyejin looked around, they in the parking lot at MMM towers, she had been so distracted that she didn't even realised it.

"What floor do you park in?"

"Fourth. . . across the elevator"

Byul seemed to know where to go, they made their way up, the song still playing in the background.

Say you'll stay~

Don't come and go~

Like you do~

Sway my way~

Yeah I need to know all about you~

It's all because of you~

It's all because of you~

Now it all turns sour

Come sweeten every afternoon

It's time tell you why

I say it's infinitely true

Hyejin watched as Byul expertly backed into the empty space, softly humming the chorus, she put the car in park and turned the ignition off. The barista turned to her, still leaning sideways, eyes fixed on only one person. Byul reached for her hand, her eyes unreadable, and sang the last chorus. Hyejin's breath hitched on . She felt hot blood coursing in her cheeks as Byul started singing again.

"Say you'll stay~

Don't come and go~

Like you do~

Sway my way~

Yeah I need to know all about you~

It's all because of you~

It's all because of you~

It's all because of you~"

Byul kissed the back of her hand, her lips curved into a smile that didn't reach her ears. "I haven't heard that one in a while"

"What does that mean? The song."

"Nothing, it's just a song, Jinie"

"You say that but. . ." it felt like it meant more.

Byul sighed, "Come on, I'll walk you to your door"

"How about you? You should have drove to your condo, I could have driven myself here. It's not too late to get you there, let's go"

"Alright then come out"

Hyejin did, though confused why, Byul reached for her hand again, they made their way to the elevator. When they got on Byul pressed the 22 button.

"Mine's on the 23rd" Hyejin said and pressed the 23 button, resigning that Byul have no intension of telling her where she lives.

"If I ever made you feel like. . . like I'm drifting away from you. I'm not. Unnie, I'm not going anywhere."

"It was just a song Jinie"

"Ok. I just need you to know that."

Hyejin saw the tiny jerk of the edge of Byul's lips. She was glad she said it. The elevator stopped at the 22nd floor, Byul made to get out but Hyejin stopped her.

"I said I live on the 23rd" Hyejin said annoyed that Byul could forget that in such a short time.

"I know, but I thought you wanted to get me to where I live?" Byul raised her eyebrow and got out of the elevator. Hyejin could not even form words as Byul led the short walk to a unit labelled 22B.

"We're here" said the barista, amused at the look on Hyejin's face. "Thank you for getting me home Jinie."

"Yah!" Hyejin slapped Byul's shoulder hard. "You've known since last night and you didn't tell me?!"

"First of all, aww!" said Byul, rubbing her shoulder. "Second of all, I didn't have the chance given the circumstances."

"Did I really hurt you?"

"No, Jinie" said the barista, she reached for Hyejin's hand. "Can I walk you home?"

"You should rest unnie"

"Then I'll walk you to the elevator"

Hyejin nodded. Hand in hand they made their way back to the elevator, it struck Hyejin that just hours before they had their first kiss just a floor above them.

"I can't believe we did not meet even once when we lived just a floor away from each other" said Hyejin.

"Maybe it wasn't the right moment"

"Does this mean you believe in destiny?"

"I do"

"Do you believe we're destined together?"

"We'll talk about that tomorrow Jinie"

Byul smiled then bit her lip. In just a blink of an eye, Hyejin's lips crashed on hers.

"You know what that does to me?" said Hyejin in between kisses. "It makes me want to do it myself"

Hyejin bit on Byul's lower lip, making the latter moan. The elevator door opened, Hyejin led them into it, she surfaced just to press the 23 button. She turned to Byul and leaned in, ready to pin the older girl to the wall but the next thing she knew her back was against it Byul's body pressing up to her. The barista's hands are on her back leaving fiery trails wherever they touch.

"I hate it" she moaned weakly. "I hate that you take the lead"

"Well you better get used to it" said Byul, smiling into the kiss. "Cause I love control"

The elevator stopped abruptly and opened at Hyejin's floor. Byul stepped back.

"Wanna come over for a bit?"

"We both have work tomorrow" said Byul. "Goodnight Jinie"

Frustrated, Hyejin stepped out. "Night"

"One last kiss?"

"I think you've had enough for one day" Hyejin huffed. She saw Byul bite her lower lip on purpose, annoying Hyejin.

"It's not that y if you do it on purpose"

"Worth a shot. Dream of me, Jinie." Byul said before the door closed on them. 

Hyejin did not move from her spot until the tiny screen on the wall displayed the number 22 on it. 

She made her way into her unit feeling embarrassed. Wanna come over for a bit? Did that sound like she was asking for ? Byul must know it was an innocent question right? But . . . if she thinks it's an invitation for why would she decline it?! Did the barista think it was too early for them to have it???

"Ahhh!" she screamed in frustration when she closed the door of her house. Feeling the exhaustion of the day wash down her body she made her way straight to her bed, plopping herself in her soft and warm bed. She inhaled sharply and frowned at the familiar smell. Then jumped at the movement in the space next to her.

"Where have you been?"

~~~~~~

Hyejin winced at the sudden pounding of her heart. She scrambled for the light switch in her room and flicked it on. Her eyes travelled to the bed. And there she was, peeking from under the blanket, eyes alert and triumphant.

"Surprise baby girl" Kei smirked.

"W-what are you doing here?"

"What? No I miss you baby girl?" Kei untangled herself from the blankets. She stood up, rubbing her eyes and stretching. Hyejin eyes scanned her from head to toe. She's dressed in nothing but a stripped yellow and green oversized shirt, Hyejin's favourite shirt.

Hyejin took a long breath and steadied herself.

"I've been waiting for you all evening" said Kei in a drawling bored voice, making her way to Hyejin. "How dare you make me wait?"

Hyejin made no move to run.

"Hmm" Kei approach, reaching out for Hyejin's hand. "What are you waiting for?"

Hyejin didn't move a single muscle.

"What's this?" Kei her lips and pulled Hyejin closer. They were so close, she could smell Kei's signature perfume.

"You're intoxicating" Hyejin sighed slowly, watching Kei's delicate fingers travelling up her arm.

Kei her lips again, Hyejin could see them glistening with lip gloss, "Come here."

Hyejin felt Kei's hands snaking on her back in the same place that minutes ago, Byul had caressed. Right, Byul. BYUL!

Hyejin felt ice cold water was poured on her whole body, she pushed Kei roughly with all of her might before their lips could touch.

Kei stumbled back. But one look in her excited eyes and Hyejin knew she took it as a sign of play. Another second later Kei had removed her shirt and threw it in the ground, she stood there but for her lacy red lingerie. Hyejin caught a glimpse of her bare .

"Holy" Hyejin turned her eyes and body away from temptation.

"What?"

"Please put y-your shirt back on"

"You don't like them?" She could hear Kei approaching. "I got them done just for you."

Hyejin gulped, despite herself, she asked. "W-when?"

"Just before I went back to London. The healing time took longer so I didn't show up for a while." She hugged Hyejin from behind. Hyejin could feel Kei's against it.

"What do you mean just for me?"

"Remember when you wished for them to be bigger?"

"I didn't asked you to enhance them!" Hyejin growled.

"You didn't have to ask, baby girl, Kei will do whatever to make you happy" she whispered in a singsong manner right next to Hyejin's ear.

Hyejin's mind was crumbling. The events before this moment is muddled by the warm feeling of Kei's body pressing up to her. Her mind was battling with her instincts, the most natural thing to do was let go. . . all of her inhibitions. Her senses tingled. Her skin had goosebumps. Her control is wavering.

"I miss you Hwasa" Kei whispered.

Hwasa, it's been so long since she heard Kei call her that. Hwasa, the nickname Kei called her the first day they met. 'Because you're shining, baby girl' Kei explained, on their first night together. It was only reserved for Hyejin. Hwasa, Hyejin loved hearing that that word alone made her feel powerful. An overwhelming confidence surged through her system.

Hyejin took a deep breath.

"Now turn around and kiss me Hwasa" Kei let go of her. Hyejin turned around and wrapped her arms around Kei.

How many nights did they share, staring into each other like this, a perfect definition of a calm before the storm. Hwasa remembered all the memorable ones. The first night. That time in Hwasa's bedroom. The time in Kei's car. That time they shared in a closet. In her office. And all those countless moments where the night was filled with Kei's giggles and Hwasa's drunken moans. It was enough to remind her how she longed for Kei. However. . .

Hwasa stood there confused because with those memories, the colours green, brown, white, and a smile. A lopsided and smug smile that was not Kei's flashes in between them.

"What are you waiting for!" Kei growled in impatience.

Hyejin was snapped out of her confusion. She knows exactly who that smile belonged to.

"I don't. . ." Hyejin unwrapped her arms around Kei, seemingly in a daze.

"Hwasa?!"

"I'm not Hwasa" Hyejin said weakly. She did her best to avoid the eyes of the woman who for so long had tormented her. Used her. Manipulated her. Hyejin's eyes searched around the room, looking for something to hold on too, and it landed on a batman logo magnet on her fridge. Byul's image, that memory when Hyejin first kissed her on the cheek surfaced.

Her body moved before she could think. She went to grab the unfamiliar clothes thrown around her bed. Kei's clothes.

"Get dressed"

She held out the red lacy bra, a skimpy skirt and a see through top to Kei. Kei raised her brow.

"You're kicking me out?"

"Yes"

"I waited for you, you know"

"I didn't ask you to"

"You're being very cruel Hwasa." Said Kei holding her palms to her chest with a wicked smile on her sweet innocent face "it's !"

Kei reached out but Hyejin stepped back, tossing the garments at her ex.

"I don't how you went pass the guards because I told them to ban you"

"Shut up. Ban me?" Kei frowned, gathering her clothes, "Tell me you're joking right now!"

"I'm not kidding"

"Shut! up!" Kei yelled, her expression changing into confusion.

"I am serious" Hyejin steadied herself and looked at Kei directly. She saw recognition in the eyes of the girl she once loved.

"The famous Hwasa turning down a hook up." Kei scoffed. "When did you become so boring?"

"Get dressed, Kei" It was not that hard to say as the first time. "And please, never come back, tomorrow I'll make sure they change my password so don't bother slipping pass the guards."

Kei studied her for a moment, a mix amusement and frustration in her eyes. From head to toe, her ex's eyes roamed, then at the phone in Hyejin's hand. Hyejin instinctively held on to it tighter.

Kei let out a mirthless laugh. "I get it now."

"Get what?"

"You're dating someone" she laughed.

Anger. An intense anger shot up at the back of Hyejin's head making her scalp prickle. Here she is doing her best to control herself from self destructing again. And in front of her is Kei who thinks this is all a game, laughing at the thought that her ex lover is dating. Amused because she thinks with full confidence that Hyejin will come crawling back to her in the end.

Kei took Hyejin's silence as confirmation.

"You are? Aren't you going to deny it this time? Or have you accepted the fact that you can't lie to me?" Kei giggled, seeing the look Hyejin was giving her. "So who is it? Is it someone I know? What's her name Hwasa? Tell your baby girl, pretty please."

The excitement and intensity in her voice fuelled Hyejin's rage. "I didn't want to do this but you leave me no choice.

Hyejin grabbed Kei's wrist.

""

Hyejin tightened her hold.

"You know this is even more"

She dragged Kei towards the door.

"Ugh, if only you could channel that energy into making love!" Kei said and pulled her hand back. She took a long long at Hyejin while massaging her wrist. "Let me get dressed at least."

"Hurry up"

"You're turning me down after what I've done for you." She said as she pulled on her clothes. Hyejin, being careful not to look, stared at door.

Kei was muttering as she pulled on her heels, still Hyejin ignored her.

At last Kei stood up, her lips. "Can't you give me a little kiss at least? I ing missed you!"

"I didn't" Hyejin held out her hand for Kei to move out. "Get out"

"You never ceased to amaze me after all these years. I'm gonna get your groove back. I'm going to make Hwasa come out."

The malice and excitement in Kei's eyes is the last thing that Hyejin saw of her former lover before she slammed the door shut.

"Dream of me baby girl" She heard from the other side of the door followed by a series of click clack from Kei's heels.

Not a second later her phone rang with a text message, from Baby girl "I'll be back"

Hyejin blocked the number and without waiting for tomorrow she called her landlord to request a change of password.