Watch me

Our Story

It happened too fast Hyejin could not even react. The next thing she knew Kei was sitting next to her, Byul across from her sitting beside Dahee. There was no doubt about it, the old Kei, the one she knew all too well took off the nice girl act and was showing her real self now.

 

Hyejin was frozen in place and without her interference Kei was set free. Soon they were interrogating Byul. The barista obliged to answer them with short but cutting answers. 

 

How did she and Hyejin met? How long have they known each other? Why did she make a cake for Hyejin?

 
Hyejin sat in silent frustration. She had her own questions, what is Kei planning? 

 

“Are you sure you aren’t dating?” Kei pried. “You seem pretty close.”

 

“Not enough” Byul’s tone was sharp. Hyejin couldn’t look her in the eye.  

 

“So you’re not dating anyone right now?” 

 

“I guess not”

 

“That’s good to know” Dahee said. 

 

“As for you Hyejin, I could have sworn you were dating someone” Kei giggled. “After denying doing it with me three weeks ago.”

 

Hyejin’s hand were going numb doing her best not to lash out. 

 

“So you two have a history?” Byul bit her lip. 

 

“Yes, and it's a long story. Like, where do I begin?” Kei her lips. She used every second from then on to tell Byul about Hyejin’s past. All the shameful things Hyejin wanted to lock behind a chest and dump in the ocean. These are not the things you tell someone when you have common sense or decency. And it finally made sense to Hyejin.

 

Kei knows.

 

Hyejin glared at Kei but was trying her best to endure this, she did this to herself, so she will endure this and make amends later. Byul has to understand, she’ll make Byul understand. She will not cry. Kei won’t break her this time.

 

I will not cry.

 

In spite of that, she could feel the sting on her eyes signalling the arrival of tears. She was saved when a loud ringing erupted from her pocket, her cellphone. Against her gut, she made an excuse to go outside, leaving Byul there. 

 

The door chimes tingled when she walked out. She shivered from the cold December air as she wiped the tears before they could fall and answered her phone. It was Sandeul. 

 

“Hey, your dad has business in Seoul tomorrow, we’re driving there now.” 

 

Hyejin wiped her eyes roughly in frustration. She did not hear anything as she watched inside the cafe, Byul’s back was against her but she could see Dahee was laughing along with Kei. The scene she saw did not sit right with her. Had she lost?

 

Why was she outside crying? Why did she leave Byul in there? Why is she letting this happen to her when she asked fate to bring it on?

 

Cause you’re a coward. A voice echoed in her head fuelling Hyejin’s anger. “I’m not a coward”

 

“Hey kid, did you hear me? Remember, we’ll wait at your condo. Come home immediately after the party in the office.”

 

“Oppa I’ll call you back” She said, when she saw Byul leaving her chair. She hanged up and went back inside. Determined. 

 

Dahee and Kei were giggling. 

 

“This is fun I admit” Dahee said.

 

“So you’re going to go for her?” Kei asked.

 

“Of course, young, charming and rich. Exactly my type.” Dahee said, not aware of Hyejin’s presence behind her. “Though” she continued and scoop up a piece of the Gotham cake left on her plate. “She has got to stop making these.”

 

This !

 

The two laughed which led Dahee to finally see Hyejin. 

 

“Hyejin!” Dahee exclaimed. “Byul is so kind, she said she’ll give us a box of cheesecake to welcome our company to the neighbourhood.”

 

“Did she offer or did you guilt trip her for it?” Hyejin snapped. She turned to Kei and snatched her wrist. “Come with me.”

 

Hyejin dragged Kei outside keeping a tight grip on her wrist.

 

“You still like it rough I see?” Kei giggled again. Hyejin could see her face now, a smile that reached her ears, sickeningly smug. . “I’m loving the energy.”

 

Hyejin gritted her teeth and let go. “You know about Byul.”

 

“Oh Hwasa, I thought you knew from the moment you saw me.” Kei gave her a sweet smile. “Did you like my acting? Did it convince you at least, baby girl?”

 

Hyejin fumed. 

 

“I was going to savour this.” Kei pouted, “I was going to keep the act longer, make her slowly suffer, but thankfully your idiot of a girlfriend told me about your plans. So with you two gone within arms length I can’t let this continue. I need to act fast.”

 

Of course, Kei has not change. In that moment, whatever hope Hyejin had for her vanished, though it wasn’t as disappointing as she expected. Right now, her disappointment is towards herself, for hoping against a hopeless case. 

 

Kei and Hyejin glanced inside Moonbeans. Byul was back at the table and she sat across Dahee. 

 

Hyejin's question was finally answered.

 

“So that's your plan, push her with Dahee?”

 

“Don’t you think they make up a great couple?” Kei smirked. 

 

“And you were telling all these lies about me to scare her.” Hyejin hissed.

 

“Was I? Was I lying?!” Kei closed the gap between them. “When I was telling her our story?” 

 

Hyejin stood her ground. “All these provoking, you think it’s going to work?” She blew upwards in exasperation. “You think Byul is going to pick her over me? Me?”

 

Hyejin saw doubt in Kei’s eyes.

 

“If you think you can rouse her that easily then you don’t know her.”

 

"But I know about her.” Kei said, gritting her teeth. “I know who she is exactly.”

 

Hyejin frowned. 

 

“Moon Byulyi,” Kei smirked. “the heir to the largest chain of coffee shops in South Korea. I will announce her true identity, every one will know about her, Dahee is only the first. Then, I’ll bet suitors left and right will flock here and when that happens where will you stand?”

 

“Right beside her” Hyejin said with conviction. 

 

“How long will that last?” Kei laughed. “How much? Exactly, how much do you think Moon Byulyi cares about you, Jinie?”

 

Hyejin’s breathing halted, her vision became blurred, her hearing tuning out and in to muffled sounds, her head feeling a prickling sensation all over her body and she was sure of tasting bile in . She was angry beyond reason. 

 

"Do it!" Kei yelled in exitement, eyes fixed at the hand Hyejin had unconciously raised, ready to strike. "You know how much I like it"

 

They stood there just staring at each other. Kei waiting for the hand to descend. Hyejin trying to calm herself down enough to get back her wits.

 

Hyejin's hand fell back to her side. "Why are you doing this to me?"

 

“I’m saving you the heartache.” Kei sighed. “Hwasa, we both know you'll need me when that happens.”

 

"I don't need saving!" Hyejin roared. "And what makes you think I'll let you do it again?!"

 

“Because I’m the one who can comfort you when your heart breaks.”

 

“You seem to have misunderstood.” Hyejin advanced. She whispered next to Kei’s ears, “what makes you think I’ll let you ruin my relationship again?”

 

Kei stepped backward. 

 

“You know what I realise? You’re a traitor.” Hyejin said. “You always know when I fall because you yourself dig the hole I collapse into.”

 

Hyejin heard the tinkle of the door chimes. 

 

“Jinie!” It was Byul, Hyejin turned around but she was suddenly wrapped in a hug. Byul held her close. 

 

Hyejin could smell the baristas perfume on her shirt it was calming. She smelled like home. 

 

"I can't do it" Byul's voice cracked once again. "I can't watch anymore"

 

"I'm sorry" Hyejin whispered. 

 

“Don't say sorry Hyejin, please. Just pick me. Just choose me so you don't have to say sorry.” Byul sobbed, her hug tightened. “I can’t lose you.”

 

Tears welled up in Hyejin’s eyes now, her anger turning into joy, her heart filled with triumph. Oh, Moon Byulyi...

 

“I'm sorry” Hyejin began again, "that I made you think you're going to lose me. But you won't Byul, I am staying right here."

 

"You are?"

 

Hyejin surfaced from the hug, she could see the tears plain on Byul's pale face, she wiped them away and whispered, "I am"

 

“Oh please spare me” Kei said with disdain. “I wanna gag”

 

Hyejin shot Kei a sharp look. She slid down her hand to interlock with Byul’s, gathering strength from it's warmth.

 

“What did I tell you?” Hyejin's heart was soaring now, "You don't know her."

 

"As if she could ever satisfy you like I do" 

 

“She’s done more than that and beyond.“ 

 

“Hwasa listen to yourself!” Kei said in defiance. “What the hell happened to you?”

 

“I fell in love” Hyejin said, calmly. 

 

No more restraint. No more anger. She only felt sadness for Kei.

 

“Bull!” Kei said, stomping her foot in frustration. “Hwasa doesn’t fall in love!”

 

“Well Hyejin did. I did! Whatever you remember me as in college it’s gone now. Hwasa is gone. It’s called growing up Kei. Something you never did! Stop this obsession and go get a life of your own for a change. And stop ruining mine!”

 

Hyejin turned the security guard at the entrance. “Ricky, make sure never to let this woman in here ever again. And that goes for her too.” Hyejin pointed at Dahee who had come out of the cafe. “Tell Somi to lock up, Byul’s coming with me.”

 

Without even confirming it with Byul, the guard nodded and answered. “Yes ma’am”

 

“You can’t take someone against their will!” Dahee yelled as Hyejin pulled Byul to her car. 

 

“Watch me!” Hyejin yelled back. But was stopped when Byul tugged at her hand. She saw Byul turn around to face Dahee and Kei. 

 

“That's incorrect,” Byul said, giving Hyejin’s hand a gentle squeeze. “she has my full consent.”

 

Byul smiled at Hyejin and opened the passenger door, she motioned Hyejin to climb in, and the lion did without protesting. 

 

Hyejin glanced outside and saw the disbelief on her exes face. And wished that it’s the last time she’ll have to worry about her past.

 

Every breath Hyejin took sent shivers up her spine, but her heart felt so warm. She drove Kei out of her life, again! And this time with Byul’s help. She turned to her left and smiled, her eyes filling with new set of tears. She was met with the loving smile of her Moon Byulyi.

 

“Let’s go home Jinie"