Part V

Coffee Breaks (with Love)

It had been a day after the incident. Eunhyuk should have been doing better now that he knew what his hyung felt about him, but some things just didn't go as expected…

"You're still avoiding me," a low voice whispered into his ear.

Eunhyuk squeaked in surprise, finding himself trapped against the wall when he tried to take a step backwards. Wait, déjà vu?!

"A—Ah, Yesung-hyung!" Eunhyuk exclaimed, forcing himself to sound cheerful. "What b—brings you here?!"

Yesung raised an eyebrow, placing a hand inside his pocket as he eyed Eunhyuk levelly. "I'm here because we have to practice…?"

"A—Ah, right…"

"Hyuk-ah," Yesung said bluntly, reaching out and playing with a few strands of Eunhyuk's hair. "I think you're perfectly aware of how much of a bad liar you seem right now…"

Eunhyuk gulped. Yesung's sudden forwardness was making him feel nervous. Not that his hyung wasn't aggressive like this before, because Yesung always had this tough exterior about him that carried over back when he was young till now, but just that… it seemed that their roles had been flipped. Weeks ago, Eunhyuk was the one who mostly initiated everything, from café visits to making lunch boxes and eating out, while Yesung was the one who merely agreed to everything and willingly spent time with him even without knowing what Eunhyuk really felt for him.

Basically, back then, Yesung seemed to be the one who followed along, and Eunhyuk was the one who led their 'relationship'.

But now…

"Well?" Yesung said almost impatiently, tilting his head as he waited for Eunhyuk's explanation. In doing so, his hair which had been combed back fell across his face, somewhat covering his eyes. The long strands caused his gaze to seem darker, more intense.

Eunhyuk relaxed his features into that of a calm expression. "I'm not, hyung, it's just that…" He couldn't bring himself to tell the truth. It made him seem too… girly. Too conscious. It wasn't supposed to be in his nature, but…

"It's just that what?" Yesung repeated, obviously wanting to get to the bottom of the problem quickly.

When he received no answer, Yesung growled, now in a bad mood. He had skipped breakfast and lunch earlier, not even eating a single biscuit to feed his stomach at the very least, so his mood swings were at an all-time high. He was cranky, to be exact, and Eunhyuk's stubbornness wasn't helping matters at all.

"Hyukjae…" he said warningly.

Eunhyuk took a deep breath, then swooped down to the ground, intent on getting away from his hyung at the moment.

However, Yesung wasn't going to let him escape just like that. The moment Eunhyuk ducked, Yesung's fast reflexes caused him to immediately grab the younger by the arms, making the latter stop moving using his strength. The sudden movements both of them made caused them to fall to the floor, but in a sitting position, with Eunhyuk's back against the wall and Yesung's hands lifting to grasp the younger's shoulders for better balance.

"H—Hyung," Eunhyuk said nervously, his eyes darting around the room. Fortunately, they were the only ones inside, but this kind of position was too embarrassing and could create a huge misunderstanding. "Let go… I—I promise I'll tell you what's wrong."

Yesung stared right into Eunhyuk's eyes, lips pressed into a thin line. He was silent for a moment, but he loosened his grip slightly, an indication that he was listening.

"I'm just really unsure of where we stand now," Eunhyuk blurted out, his gaze averted to the floor. "A—After we left that café… you just walked me back to my apartment and then we parted ways… I—I still don't know how to act around you. I'm sorry, but…" He was trying to choose his words cautiously, and Yesung knew that.

"..." Yesung sighed, ruffling Eunhyuk's hair in response. The latter made a sound of protest, internally mourning his gel-styled hair that took his stylist about an hour to fix.

"...OK, I understand," Yesung said quietly, scooting closer to Eunhyuk and slowly letting their foreheads touch each other. "So you mean to say that I should confess to you properly and ask you out properly as well?"

Eunhyuk was dumbfounded. "Er… y—yes…?"

There was a beat of silence, then Yesung let out a chuckle, burying his face in Eunhyuk's neck as he continued laughing to himself. Eunhyuk, totally confused, could only sit still, frozen and stiff, in his position.

Somehow, ever since he realized his feelings for Yesung, he was always, always caught up in so many embarrassing moments that he couldn't even begin to count them all. He was supposed to be a cool, manly man who didn't care about trivial things, but with Yesung he felt like a schoolgirl with a badly-concealed crush. It was humiliating, especially to his ego.

But… if he were being completely honest with himself…

Because it was Yesung, his Yesung-hyung… Eunhyuk felt that all that embarrassment was worth it, after all.

"Ahh~ this guy," Yesung said affectionately, lifting his head and proceeding to peck Eunhyuk on the lips. "So cute~"

Eunhyuk turned beet-red and he reflexively pushed his hyung away. "What the — aish, Yesung-hyung! What if someone saw—"

"...Too late," an amused voice cut in.

Yesung and Eunhyuk whipped their heads towards the source of the voice and found Leeteuk standing in the open doorway, his face all-smiles as he gazed at his dongsaengs who were currently sitting on the floor and very close to each other.

"Ah, sorry to interrupt you lovebirds~ but our stage rehearsal is in a few minutes…" Leeteuk said in a teasing voice as he folded his arms across his chest.

Eunhyuk, still red, instantly stood up from the floor and ran from the room. Yesung didn't even bother standing up that quickly, taking his time as he tried to keep the smile off his face. Leeteuk noticed this and let out a hearty laugh.

"You look like you're enjoying this, Yesung-ah," Leeteuk remarked, unfolding his arms and crossing the room to where Yesung was standing. "Don't tease Eunhyukkie so much though, he might combust with all that blushing he's been doing lately."

“That’s exactly what makes him cute,” Yesung replied with a smile, ing the ends of his long-sleeved shirt and then hiking it up to his elbows.

Leeteuk watched him for a moment. “By the way,” he began casually, “the members are planning on a karaoke night later. Are you two going to come?”

“...” Yesung looked thoughtful for a moment. “Karaoke…” He nodded. “Yeah. We’re going.”

“Alright. We’ll go after rehearsals and the actual performance, then.”


-;-


If it were back in the past, Eunhyuk wouldn't have touched a single drop of alcohol. He would’ve just stayed back, sat still, and distracted himself with something other than drinking.

However, on this night, he had so many things on his mind that were driving him crazy.

First, it was the way Ryeowook sang so loudly in the room that made his eardrums rattle.

Second, it was the way Donghae kept on kicking and punching him whenever he laughed. If he was so happy, then fine, but did he have to hit other people while he was at it? Eunhyuk couldn’t understand.

Third, it was the way Yesung was laying his head on his shoulder, seemingly tired yet playing with the hem of Eunhyuk’s shirt. It was… distracting, to say the least.

Fourth, it was the way Heechul was blatantly taking pictures of the two of them and murmuring — quite clearly and loudly — his plans of uploading it on the internet so that their dating news would blow up.

And fifth, it was the way Kyuhyun was single-handedly beating him at a mobile game that the two of them were currently playing and it was only increasing Eunhyuk’s frustration every time his character died and he had to start all over again.

So Eunhyuk quit the game, told Kyuhyun to play with Heechul instead, and drank a glass of soju.

Then another. And another.

The feeling of the liquid running down his throat was a welcome feeling amidst all the chaos that was going on.

"Hyuk?" Yesung said quietly, tentatively pushing away the empty glass that Eunhyuk had just consumed. "Are you alright?"

"Uh? Oh, I'm fine," Eunhyuk assured. He wasn't a lightweight with alcohol, but he wasn't a heavy drinker, either.

Yesung kept quiet, but s his arm around Eunhyuk's waist, keeping the younger to his side. "Looks like Ryeowook's song is ending. Do you want to be the next one?"

Eunhyuk was about to say no when Siwon suddenly volunteered and excitedly punched in a song.

"Well, never mind," Yesung remarked.

Eunhyuk turned his head towards his hyung, his gaze resting on the older's features. Although he often teased Yesung about his looks, especially in shows, that Yesung's appearance was worse than his, it wasn't exactly true. Of course, they only exaggerated things in variety shows just for laughs; it was all in good fun, and all members knew that pretty well, which was why all of them often went for each other and would never take the savage comments seriously.

However, seeing Yesung up close… the man was ethereal. Maybe it was the alcohol talking, but Yesung's eyes suddenly seemed sharper than before and his skin looked so flawless, so creamy. Yesung also had a good nose and smooth, distinct features.

His hyung had always been handsome to him, after all.

"Ah, this isn't good," Yesung was murmuring to himself as he played with Eunhyuk's hand, not noticing the younger's keen gaze on his face. "I was supposed to confess properly tonight, but I guess since you drank a bit… I can't really—"

"Hyung," Eunhyuk suddenly said, using the hand Yesung was playing with to capture the latter's own and lace their fingers together. Eunhyuk could feel Yesung stiffen against him in surprise and couldn't help but relish the pride and amusement rising inside him with his hyung's reaction.

"Hyung..." Eunhyuk repeated. "Do you... like me?"

"Yes," answered Yesung without missing a beat.

Eunhyuk was startled at the immediate response but tried not to show it although his heart began beating fast. "Do you want to — um…"

"Yes?"

"Uh…" Eunhyuk's mind suddenly went blank and he forgot what he was supposed to say. Well, it was already hard in the first place with Yesung staring at him like he was the only one he could see.

Nobody spoke between them for a while. The other members' chatter, on the other hand, never ceased, so at least there wasn't any awkward silence in the air.

However, Yesung suddenly stood up from his seat, startling Eunhyuk from his trance.

Yesung lifted his arm and ran a hand through his hair, messing his dark tresses and letting a few locks fall across his eyes.

Eunhyuk looked away, burying his face in his hands. Why did his hyung have to be so attractive…! It was so unfair!

"Eunhyuk-ah," Yesung spoke, his tone gentle. "I don't think I've ever showed you properly how much you mean to me."

"...Huh?"

Unhesitatingly, Yesung grabbed a glass filled with soju and downed it through his mouth. After that, he set down the glass back on the table, hiking up his sleeves.

"You were always the one who was pulling me with you, the one who made efforts to take care of me, the one who paid more attention to me than anyone else," Yesung said softly, looking at Eunhyuk in the eyes. "I'm sorry I took so long, Hyuk-ah."

Eunhyuk gaped at him, not expecting the speech.

It wasn't even silent in the room, but it seemed like it was. Ryeowook was persuading Kyuhyun and Siwon to go out of the room to buy more snacks and drinks while Heechul, Leeteuk, Shindong, and Donghae were playing Go Fish on the floor, the karaoke machine completely forgotten as they got immersed in their game. Their loud chatter was still engulfing the room, but to Eunhyuk, it was like background noise instead. All he could hear was Yesung's sweet voice talking to him, soothing his soul.

"So now, I'll show you that you're the only one for me, too." Yesung smiled at that moment, and Eunhyuk felt like his heart stopped beating.

"You… You'll what…?" Eunhyuk said slowly, dumbfounded as he stared at Yesung in disbelief. "Wait… hyung, are you drunk? Wait…" His eyes widened as Yesung started to stride towards the front purposefully. "W—Wait!! Yesung-hyung, I didn't mean—!"

But Yesung was already entering a song in the machine, consequently taking the microphone from the table.

And when the music began, Eunhyuk instantly knew what it was.

He didn't know whether to laugh or not. Seriously? This song??

Yesung's eyes were on him as he sang.

“It can’t be if it’s not you… I can’t be without you.”

Donghae, who was busy playing, raised his hand in the form of a cheer without even turning around. "Yesung-hyung, fighting!!"

"Our Ye~" Heechul added as he kept on looking at the cards in his hand.

Maybe it was the sudden change in atmosphere. Maybe it was the way Yesung looked at him unwaveringly. Maybe it was the way the music seemed so familiar yet so foreign at the same time. Maybe it was the way his heart slowed down as he listened to the emotional way Yesung sang the song.

Yesung usually sang sincerely and sadly. But this time, he seemed… fervent? Passionate? Happy?

...in love?

You’re the one I will keep, you’re the one I will love… Yes,” Yesung sang with a slow smile, “because I’m happy enough if I could be with you.

It was surreal. It was like everything was flipped upside down.

I never expected that the song I always made fun of to tease and imitate Yesung-hyung…

...would be the very same song that brings us together at this moment.

“Lee Hyukjae, I love you~” Yesung finished with a laugh as he got off the stage.

The moment the words flew out of Yesung's mouth, the ones playing Go Fish suddenly stood up from the ground and clapped loudly, their excited voices ringing in Eunhyuk's ears. Ryeowook, Kyuhyun, and Siwon also seemed to have just gotten back from buying food, cheering along with the others.

"Eyyy, bring your cheesy flirting elsewhere!" Ryeowook said, laughing.

"Ahh, young love~" Heechul teased as they went back to their game.

When all the others went back to their own business, Yesung sat beside Eunhyuk, holding the latter's hand in his. Eunhyuk tightened the grip, reminded of how small Yesung's hand was and how good it felt laced against his fingers.

Yesung leaned towards him, gazing at him face-to-face. "Hyukjae-ya," he said softly, his body heat warming the space between them, "will you go out with me?"

Eunhyuk's jaw dropped open. "Huh…?" he said dumbly. Suddenly, the alcohol seemed to disappear from his system, causing him to sober up against his will.

Yesung feigned seriousness. "Do you really want me to repeat it?"

The look in his hyung's eyes made Eunhyuk swallow the sudden lump in his throat. "N—No! No need!" he said weakly.

Yesung laughed. "Then," he said, reaching out and taking hold of Eunhyuk's chin, "kiss me if you'll say yes."

"WHAT?!" Eunhyuk gasped, then his eyes darted around to see if anyone was looking. Thankfully, loud music was already filling the room since Ryeowook and Kyuhyun were drunkenly singing a popular pop song and Siwon was laughing loudly as the two maknaes were missing the beat as they danced.

Yesung smiled. "But if you'll say no, then I'll let go." He made an attempt to retract his hand back to his side.

Eunhyuk's eyes widened. Without even thinking, he quickly leaned towards Yesung and pressed his lips against his.

Not long after they made contact, they heard an indignant squeak nearby.

"Yah!! You two get a room!" Heechul yelled, covering his eyes exaggeratedly.

"Leave them alone," Leeteuk said, laughing as he placed an arm around Heechul's shoulders and made him face away. "Let's just not look at their direction."

Eunhyuk instantly pulled away, his ears alarmingly red. Yesung chuckled and hugged the younger to his chest, rubbing his back soothingly.

"Thank you for choosing me."

"Shut up," Eunhyuk mumbled, humiliated.