Redemption arc part 3 the acceptance

Blue Betta the remix

Sitting across from Yeojin, Jinsoul gets a little nervous. “What are you writing down? That’s a lot of words.” 

Yeojin glares at her, “mind your business.”

Yerim snorts from across the kitchen and Jinsoul scratches at her head. Stumped but also irritated Jinsoul retaliates, “um it kinda is my business, I’m literally paying you to be in my business.” Jinsoul explains while leaning over the table and Yeojin hides her notebook.

“Damn let me finish! Nosy…”Jinsoul rolls her eyes and crosses her arms, grumbling while Yeojin finishes up. “By the way you don’t gotta pay me, I’m doing this to return the favor to Yerim.”

“Awe Sis, you’re doing this for me?”

“I’m not doing this for you, I want the house to myself again. You starting to irk me.”

Jinsoul holds a hand to her chest offended as Yeojin makes a pleased noise. Looking down at the notepad like it was gold. Before Jinsoul can argue with her sister, the lawyer slides the paper over.

Reading over it...is a process. First they got to gather evidence. Then actually go to court. Jinsoul’s not really familiar with this stuff besides like Judge Judy.

“Can’t you make it easier?” 

Yeojin raises a brow and grimaces, “sure! Then we can get our asses handed to us in court. If that’s what you want.” Jinsoul pouts and looks at her sister for help but Yerim just shrugs, “listen Jinsoul, Imma win this case for you, but it will take a minute trust me on this.”

Blinking at the woman in front of her, Jinsoul can remember when she was just a teenager. Getting in trouble and all that. But now she was an established lawyer, a good one at that. According to Yerim, Yeojin hardly ever lost a case, being very intelligent and all that.

“I got one question.”

“Don’t make it stupid.”

Jinsoul hums, scratches her chin and asks. “You ever met Annalise keating?”

Yeojin’s eye twitches, “yes, I worked under her for years.”

“Really?!”

“No you ! That woman does not exist in real life.” Jinsoul’s excitement slowly drains as Yeojin rubs her temples with both hands. “You still stupid, after all these years you still haven’t grown a brain?”

“Girl, you. I basically raised you, don’t disrespect me like that.” 

Yeojin stares at her for a few seconds and smiles, “I missed you.” Jinsoul clutches at her chest, clearly touched and reaches over to ruffle up Yeojin’s hair for old times sake.

Yerim pulls out the good wine.

~~~~

Sitting on the couch, Yeojin goes over the process one more time. Trying to see if she’s missed any details. “Okay so we will need to visit the school, see if they have camera footage or anything like that. A witness would work too, you said the principal was in the room when Sooyoung protected herself from the man?” 

Jinsoul nods and takes a sip from her wine. “Yeah, she likes us too. Well I hope so, we’ve caused a lot of trouble.” 

Yeojin dismisses it, there doesn’t need to be any doubts in the story. If the principal is not a reliable witness then there’s no point in using her. “And the guy antagonized still after the dispute right?”

“Yup.”

“Idiot. Did he threaten Yeji?”

“Kind of.” 

Yeojin nods, that would be good to use in the case. She feels bad for Jinsoul’s daughter though. It must have been a traumatic experience, Yeojin wouldn’t doubt if the girl blamed herself for the whole thing.

“Now has he pressed any charges yet?”

Jinsoul shakes her head, “no, I honestly don’t think he’s got that kind of money.” Yeojin smiles, even if he did. He couldn’t get a better lawyer than she already was.

“Cool, if this fails by the way, we’re going to sue the school. It’s completely foolproof with them, if Sooyoung only didn’t swing first, we would have a straight shot at him too.” 

The older woman sighs and rubs her eyes, “god I know, you know how she is though. She snapped when he started talking about Yeji.” Yeojin hums and does not blame Sooyoung for beating that man's .

“Still crazy?” 

Yerim sighs beside them, “you don’t even know.” Jinsoul frowns at her sister but does nothing to defend Sooyoung.

“Trouble in paradise?” 

Jinsoul laughs a bit sadly, “you know Sooyoung has never hesitated to be mean. I’m afraid our girls are seeing a side to her that I hoped they’d never have to.”

Yeojin chews on her lip and stares down the hallway, where the girls must have been sleeping or playing games or something. Yeojin hasn’t seen them in about three years, when Chaeyoung could barely speak. She wonders how they’re holding up in all this mess.

She hopes they are.

~~~~

Sooyoung is almost happy.

The kittens look at her curiously. She pets on one of them and it purrs, then all three of them are crawling up to her, cuddling into her. “See, if I was evil you guys wouldn’t like me.” Sooyoung tells herself.

But then she remembers she hasn’t talked to Yeji in almost two weeks.

It isn’t entirely her fault, her daughter has refused over and over again. Still, Sooyoung is 100% at fault. 

Holding the cat that she picked out for Yeji. She asks. “Do you think she hates me, little stank?” The cat stares at her, quite, unlike the other two meowing their asses off.

Sooyoung lip starts to quiver.

She missed Yeji so much.

~~~~

Yeji and Yuna are playing Just dance on their aunt’s wii. Chaeyoung bounces behind them singing along to the lyrics of the song. It was by that disco group, Boney M. 

Yuna is annihilating Yeji, because the older twin just can’t stop thinking about her mom.

Sooyoung always danced to this song, it made Yeji laugh every time. Yeji slams the controller down and goes to sulk on the bed. Yuna pays no attention to her, only calling out, “somebody a sore loser!”

Chaeyoung keeps glances back at her, scared. Yeji is tired of being treated like a freak. “Stop looking at me like that!”

Her little sister sticks her tongue out so Yeji bounces up to push her off the bed. 

Chaeyoung being overdramatic starts to cry her eyes out. It isn’t but a minute later Jinsoul is rushing in, pulling her little sister into her arms. Her mom glances at her once, almost disappointed, Yeji feels even more alienated.

Jinsoul gives her a look that says they’re definitely going to talk later.

Yuna is staring at her. Indifferent.

Yeji squares her shoulders, “what ugly?”

“You just like mom.” 

Yuna then turns to walk out of the room, leaving Yeji all alone. To her swirling thoughts. This is all her fault isn’t it? She’s the reason why her sisters are mad, she’s the reason her moms aren’t together right now. She’s the reason her mom fought that man. All the trouble is because of her. Because she couldn’t control her anger.

Her mom must hate her.

She’s the one to blame for this mess.

She misses her mom…

~~~~

“I miss mom.” Yeji says out loud. Yuna was coloring something and hums. Not bothering to look up.

“Me too.” 

Yeji lays down beside her sister and watches her color in the lines. Yuna only used brown, she was coloring in a beach. All brown. “Did you mean what you said? That I’m like mom.”

Yuna is kicking her feet back and forth, using her whole fist to color in the palm tree. “Yup, you get mad at stupid stuff. Like that time mom got mad because the washer shook too much and dragged it to the backyard.” Yeji remembers that Sooyoung had given them baseball bats to destroy the washer. That was fun, until their other mom yelled at her, there was a new one the next day that didn’t shake too loud.

“Do you hate me?”

Her sister finally looks up from the coloring book to stare at her like she’s crazy. “Yeah but not like that.” Yeji glares at Yuna, “you annoying...but I have to love you.”

Yeji rolls her eyes, “you don’t gotta love me.”

“Yeah I do, cause you love me.”

“That’s stupid.”

“Is not.”

“You’re weird Yuna.”

Her sister snorts, “and what does that make you? And don't say normal, I saw you eating that glue that one time.” Yeji doesn’t reply, mortified that she was caught.

“You think mom hates me?”

Yuna aggressively scribbles with a crayon and then slams it down. “She literally cries when you don’t give her a hug no she doesn't hate you!” Yeji wishes she could tell her mom she loves her now. 

Her sister seems to finally realize what she’s going through and rests a hand on her head. “Hey, I was lying a second ago. I love you for real.”

Yeji can feel her eyes water up, “really?”

Yuna nods, “we like a part of the same chromosome. And I like you, six percent of the time, so I know that means I love you.”

Rubbing her eyes from the tears Yeji giggles, “awe I love you like thirteen percent more.” 

“Thanks stank.”

“OH THAT'S IT!” 

They begin to fight, but with smiles on their faces.

~~~~

Jinsoul doesn’t have access to all her designer clothes that Sooyoung has bought her through the years, like her black fendi dress. So she settles for a sundress from Tj Maxx, from Yerim’s closet.

Yeojin is in an expensive pantsuit, with her birkin bag sitting by her side. She’s looking at her Rolex, “we still got some time to kill, wanna grab breakfast?” 

Jinsoul nods and goes to say goodbye to her children. Opening the door to her sister's guest bedroom, she sees they're all sleeping, so she quietly kisses them all on the top of the head before sneaking back out.

Today was the first day of the case. They had arranged a meeting with Dahyun...who was more than willing to talk to them.

In the bedroom where Jinsoul had just left, the youngest twin stirs awake. Something was off. Yuna sniffs, she smells fabuloso. Then the up beat music starts to play. “No no no no….”

Yerim walks into the bedroom, “everyone up!” The three of them groan as Yerim claps and sways side to side. Whenever their mom left, their aunt made them clean the whole house. But they always got ice cream afterwards. Getting up and stretching Yuna thinks of what day it is...Tuesday which meant she had kitchen chores.

Yuna was not looking forward to washing all the dishes. Yeji had to vacuum and Chaeyoung had to pick up laundry.

At least this time...Yuna doesn’t have to dust the room where the furniture has plastic on it. That room kinda scares her because her aunt yells at her everytime she touches something. 

Today was going to be an exhausting day.

~~~~

Cleaning the crumbs of her chest, Jinsoul walks behind Yeojin in the school hallway. Classes had just begun so it was eerily quiet.

“Jinsoul!”

She turns to see someone she hasn’t in a long time. Smiling, Jinsoul does a small wave. “Dr. Pearson! Hi how are you!” The tiny woman wobbles up to her and Jinsoul bends down to give her a hug, it was Sooyoung’s coworker.

“Oh I’m fine, how are you?” She has known Ms. Pearson for a while, the woman had a PhD in music and did some song writing here and there. 

“Good, good. What are you doing? Do you have kids that go here?” 

The woman huffs, “oh I’m doing singing lessons for like a little side gig you know?”

“Oh really? For how much?” Jinsoul asks, wondering if she could get Yuna or Yeji to into it, Sooyoung and her both had a nice voice, so it wouldn’t be completely surprising. 

“Hundred dollars an hour.” Jinsoul tries to hide her shock and smiles before nodding, but thankfully Ms. Pearson changes the subject. “Actually I’m glad I caught you! Where is Sooyoung I haven’t seen at all!?”

Jinsoul frowns, “has she not been coming to work?”

Ms. Pearson shakes her head, “nope, called in sick for about two weeks now...everything good at home? I thought I’d ask since you two are really good friends and all.” Jinsoul stares at the woman, despite telling her they were married countless times Ms. Pearson still assumed they were just friends.

“I-um.”

Dahyun pops out of thin air, “oh hi Ms. Juicy, how are vocal lessons going?”

“Good, I'm just heading the printer to pick up some note sheets!” Ms. Pearson looks between them and waddles away, giving Jinsoul a pat on her hip as she does so, “tell your wife I said hi!”

Jinsoul holds a hand to her chest. Touched. The older woman finally acknowledged their marriage after all these years.

“Oh and remember! No more teaching the kids how to sing body party, it’s inappropriate!” Dahyun calls out but the woman just waves her off dismissively. She then turns to Jinsoul, “I don’t know how she does it, but those kids are singing like eight octaves now.”

Jinsoul nods her head, impressed as Dahyun greets Yeojin who is checking out a few of the trophies and awards the school has won. “we’re not late are we?” Yeojin asks, readjusting the bag strap on her shoulder. 

“Nope early! I was just having my morning shi...shhh, shaved ice!” 

Dahyun escorts them into the office waving at the front desk lady Sana, who was chewing gum very loudly, filing away at her long nails, “heyyy Dahyun, I was wondering if I could take two lunches today?”

The principal smiles and suggestively replies, “of course as long as you keep wearing those-“ She then realizes that Jinsoul and Yeojin are staring at her, skeptical and amused.

“Thanks babe, you're the best. Same time in your office as always?” Yeojin raises a brow as Dahyun swipes a hand over to warn Sana to shut up. But the young woman just keeps chewing her gum obnoxiously. “You know? To eat lunch?”

Jinsoul snorts, “yeah I’m sure you're eating more than just ‘ lunch ’.” Now everyone is glaring at her. “What I do?” 

Dahyun shoves them inside her office. Her face was blood red. Sana rolls her eyes and keeps filing her nails. She wonders when one of Taeyeon’s first victims was going to arrive.

Sure enough the first kid walks in. He’s shyly pulling at his shirt and Sana glares down at him, “Why are you here today sweetie?”

“I told Miss Taeyeon her whistle notes were giving me hernias.”

“And do you know what a hernia is?”

“No but my mom always got one and they hurt so. When Miss Taeyeon sing it’s real loud, and it hurts my ears.”

Sana sighs and leans up in her comfy chair, spreading her fingers out real wide to type since her nails were so long. The kid is still standing there staring at her awkwardly and breathing weird so she nods her head over to the bench. “Right. Go take a seat over there.”

Eating some chips, Sana is left with peace for about five minutes. But then a girl comes in. Her hair in pigtails.

“Hi, who sent you here.”

“Miss Taeyeon”. 

“How come?”

The little girl, who Sana thinks was named Jiwon, hesitates, “I asked why Miss Taeyeon titty on the floor.”

Sana looks over the desk, “And why did you say that?” 

The little girl bounces and reenacts the scene for her. “Because it was, she was cleaning up the juice that Ryujin spilled and it was laying out or whatever.” 

Sana shakes her head, “you know what? Go back to class. Tell her you got detention.”

“I got detention! YAYYY!”

“No sweetie, it’s...” The little girl stares at her and Sana flips her hand, “why don’t you take a long bathroom break and when you go back just tell Miss Taeyeon that you were dealt with ..” 

Jiwon bounces out of the office, leaving Sana free to check her instagram, where she had countless men sending her money just to talk to her.

Still, she sits here, getting paid 9 dollars an hour for what. Sana swings in her desk chair, tapping on Hyoyeon’s shoulder, the secretary. The woman turns around, “sup?”

“You know what we deserve?”

Hyoyeon stares at her for a moment and smiles, “desert.”

“No, , a vacay.” 

“Don’t we get like...a three month one?”

“You know what, forget it. Your old would never understand.”

Sana spins back to her computer as Hyoyeon yells, “I’m literally twenty nine!” 

“Once you pass twenty five you age triple, so technically you’re like what, forty six?.” 

Hyoyeon spins around on her and gestures to her , “do these , look forty six to you?” Before Sana can say yes Hyoyeon stands and poses, “this looks middle age?”

Sana hums, “what ?”

“Ooh I’m about to rip those extensions out that big head of yours.”

“You’re just mad that you're old and I’m y.” Sana teases.

The door to the office then slams open. They both turn to see Ryunjin walk in. “Hi Ryunjin, Miss Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon escorts the girl in, and makes her stand in front of the desk. “May I speak with Dahyun.”

“She busy.”

“Oh well, I believe Ryunjin has to explain something. And Sana I know you’re the one that hands out the detention slips. Ryunjin go ahead and tell her what she said.”

Ryunjin crosses her arms, “well I was on my phone, doing my work.” She glares up at the teacher, “and playing music.”

“Wasn’t just music now was it, very vulgar.” Taeyeon gestures to Sana for the last part, who just raises her brow since she was a bit annoyed

“Wap,” Sana nods, that song is on her daily playlist. “So when Miss T told me to turn it off I told her she got a Dap.”

Ryunjin goes silent then and Sana looks between them, Taeyeon pats the girl’s shoulder. “Go ahead I promise I wouldn’t yell as long as you told the truth.”

“Dusty .”

Sana and Hyoyeon’s eyes water from how hard they’re trying not to laugh. Taeyeon clenches her jaw, “is something funny?”

Sana wipes the tears from her face and her lips, biting away a smile. “I mean she’s not wrrrr-right, I’m sure you have voluptuous assets.” Sana says with a raise of her brow and Taeyeon tilts her head with an attitude. “I can write a detention note and we can get Ms.Tinashe to speak with her, would that satisfy you?” 

Tayeon nods, so friendly it’s scary. Ryunjin rolls her eyes and goes to sit next to the boy who said he had hernias. As the teacher is walking out Sana calls out, “oh and by the way Taeyeon!” The teacher turns to her, false smile. “Whistle notes are not educational, especially when they’re bad.” 

Sana and Hyoyeon crack up when Taeyeon slams the door to the office. “Oop she’s mad!” They made it a conscious effort everyday to piss Taeyeon off. 

~~~~

Yeojin and Jinsoul glance at each other before staring back at Dahyun, who was just...smiling at them. All teeth, not blinking or anything. 

It’s been a good solid ten minutes of silence. Right after Yeojin had asked for school footage. Jinsoul finally breaks the awkward tension, “so um, we’re kinda suing you.”

Dahyun’s smile drops.

Suddenly there’s three stacks of money in front of her, “please Jinsoul, please don’t sue us, I’m begging you I won’t have a job and Sana won’t-”

“I’m sorry but are you bribing us?” Dahyun’s sobs stop, she sniffs and wipes her nose on a tissue before sitting up straight. “You know that’s illegal right? What could happen to you if I told someone about this?”

Dahyun’s eyes are full of fear and she shakes her head like an idiot.

“JAIL!”

Yeojin screams sitting up in her seat before tossing the money back at Dahyun, “please I can’t be a prison wife! They would wreck my little-”

“Jail, we could send you to jail.” Yeojin repeats, “but we’re not gonna do that.” Dahyun slumps down in her seat and Yeojin presses her fingers together, slipping into Lawyer mode, “let me get this straight. Jung Yeji has been doing very well in school, she hasn’t been in a physical altercation since being enrolled in an after school counseling with Tinashe Kachingwe.” 

Dahyun gulps and nods.

“However, lately Yeji has been abnormally violent. And to my knowledge, after speaking with Ms. Tinashe last night. Mrs. Jung’s daughter has been experiencing some sort of discrimation from other students, antagonizing, bullying, even threats.” Yeojin explains and Jinsoul gives her own verbal backing between every sentence, in which Yeojin holds her hand up to the older woman’s face to tell her to shut up. “And to my knowledge, even after Jung Yeji voiced her discomfort, you did nothing about it. Wouldn’t this seem like neglect to you?” 

Dahyun blinks, clearly guilty. 

“Ms. Tinashe was also there for the physical altercation between Jung Sooyoung and Kim Jae-Jin. She informed me that you did nothing when Jung Yeji was antagonised by an adult man. It was also highly unprofessional to have the children in the same room where this conversation should have only been between the parents.”

“Damnnn.”

“Jinsoul, please shut up.” Yeojin breaks out of her serious lawyer voice and then immediately goes back into it. “So if you please like to cooperate with us, I’m sure we can work something out. We’re only looking to bring down the man who threatened Yeji, not you or the school. Even though you did play a part in all of this.”

Dahyun finally blinks, lets out a deep, shaky breath. And nods, “okay, I’ll be on your side.” Yeojin smiles, victorious.

Jinsoul sighs, “so?” 

They both look at her. Expecting her to say something important.

“What now?”

Yeojin smacks her palm to her forehead.

~~~~

As they’re walking out of the school Yeojin brags, “man this case gonna be easy as hell, like very. That principal got jelly for bones.”

Jinsoul walks beside her, happy too. But then she freezes in her tracks. It’s...that man. He smiles at her and she hides behind Yeojin even though she’s three inches shorter than her. “Hiii Ms. Im, what a pleasure!”

“Dae-hwi? What are you doing here?” 

The other lawyer flips his hair, “oh I’m here to collect evidence for my client here!” Dae-Hwi points to the man, “lawsuit, he got assaulted here.”

“Bull.” Jinsoul seethes out, “ing bull.”

Yeojin is confused at first but it doesn’t take seconds for her to understand, putting the pieces together. She then goes into serious lawyer mode again. “Jinsoul be quiet, Dae-Hwi, I’ll be seeing you in court.” The other lawyer is smiling friendly, but then it drops all the sudden.

“Oh I know, I can’t wait to bring you down.”

Yeojin chuckles, “like all those other times? Dae-Hwi if recall…” Yeojin steps closer to him, “you’ve lost everytime to me.”

“Not this time sweetie,” Dae-Hwi then smiles again and points towards Jinsoul, “lovely dress by the way.”

Him and then man then walks away, Jinsoul still physically sick to her stomach. “He’s homophobic!” Yeojin calls out.

Dae-Hwi turns, “and I just got Chic-Fil-A! Sooo.” Then spins back around and starts speaking to the client.

Yeojin huffs and grabs Jinsoul’s elbow. “Come on we gotta set up a new game plan, and no more speaking about the case. They will grab anything they can get.”

As Jinsoul gets in the car, she checks her phone. She has some messages from her work, one from her sister and one from…

[The wife (on marriage probation) ]: you're so pretty :D you look good in that dress

[The wife (on marriage probation) ]: that especially…mhmm got me thinking about the things I’d do to you in broad daylight

[The wife (on marriage probation) ]: miss you a lot

[The wife (on marriage probation) ]: wyd

[The wife (on marriage probation) ]: love you :( 

[The wife (on marriage probation)]: are you mad baby?

[The wife (on marriage probation)]: please talk to me

Jinsoul sends a text back

:are you stalking me?

She gets a reply almost five seconds later

[The wife (on marriage probation)]: no?

: then how’d you know I was wearing a dress?

[The wife (on marriage probation)]: mmm psychic? 

Jinsoul rolls her eyes and clicks off her phone, despite being annoyed right now. Sooyoung still brought a smile to her face.

[The wife (on marriage probation)]: oh btw I got three cats...don’t be mad I loves you sooo much. Can’t wait to see you and the babies again.

Yeojin almost wrecks with how loud Jinsoul screams.

~~~~

Sooyoung stares at the phone, still sending texts to her beloved wife. 

[Jinsoul my lover <3<3<3]: what the actual ?

Uh oh. 

[Jinsoul my lover<3<3<3]: Sooyoung I said no more cats. You’re joking right baby? 

:yes

[Jinsoul my lover<3<3<3]: no you’re not

:okay no I’m not but they’re really cute! The girls will love them!

[Jinsoul my lover<3<3<3]: THEY STINK SOOYOUNG!

Sooyoung sniffles, her wife was mad at her again. She just wanted to make her happy and the girls too.

Man she feels like she keeps messing up. 

~~~~

Jinsoul unties her hair as she takes off her shoes, she hears three sets off feet stomping towards her. Not even checking, Jinsoul just leans down to open her arms, still, she isn’t prepared for the force that knocks into her. 

It’s Yeji, so Jinsoul picks the tall, lanky nine year old up in her arms, “goodness you’re getting so big.” Jinsoul snuggles into her, “but you’re still my baby and will be until your forty.” 

The nine year old clings around her shoulders, “mommmm.” Yuna is hugging her side and Chaeyoung bounces at her feet, clearly jealous that she’s not being held. Sitting her oldest down she kisses them on the cheek for a greeting.

When she’s giving Yuna her hug, the twin whispers out, “Auntie is a psycho mommy.” 

Jinsoul pulls back a bewildered expression on her face, “a psycho?” 

Yuna nods, “she made us clean behind the stove.” 

Jinsoul gasps, “do what?” Her three girls hum in agreement and Jinsoul huffs, picking up Chaeyoung she packs the girl to the kitchen, where Yerim was eating chips. “Are you working my babies half to death?”

Yerim chews slowly, “gotta earn their stay somehow.”

“They’re not even ten, Chaeyoung can barely lift a five pound weight.”

“Well, let me tell you, she’s mean with a swiffer, my floor spotless now.” Yerim explains with a sinister smile. 

Jinsoul only shakes her head, “you’re evil.” Yerim shrugs her shoulders before leaving the kitchen to Jinsoul.

Fixing her kids dinner, dino nuggets…mac and cheese and some jello. They eat it right up though, they weren’t picky thankfully, but for some reason, Chaeyoung had to dip her chicken nuggets in mustard.

Later that night, Jinsoul is watching the goofy movie, laughing along to everything in it. Yuna is asleep, curled up to her side while Chaeyoung is sitting on her lap snoring as well. While Jinsoul cuddles with her two daughters the other sits at the end of the couch, almost a foot away from her. “Yeji, sweetie come here.”

Her oldest just stares at her and shakes her head.

Jinsoul frowns and goes back to watching the movie. She can hear Yeji giggle every minute or so, still munching on a dino nugget. Jinsoul strains to do so, but she stretches to pinch one of Yeji’s toes making the girl curl up shyly and laugh.

Smiling at her daughter she nods her head at the t.v screen, “this my favorite movie you know.” 

Yeji hides behind her knees, “it must be really old.”

“Hey!”

Her daughter laughs and Jinsoul can’t help but be reminded of another. God, she was just like Sooyoung. While Yuna and Chaeyoung were a lot like her. Yeji was a troublemaker, but she was so endearing it was hard to get frustrated with her. “I’m kidding mommy.”

“No you wasn’t you little meanie.” Jinsoul teases and her daughter laughs again. Patting the spot next to her she calls out quietly, “why don’t you wanna snuggle with me?”

Yeji shakes her head, and Jinsoul catches the frown. Her daughter turns to the screen and after watching her for a while, so does Jinsoul. There’s a bad feeling in her stomach. And Jinsoul realizes it must be instinct when Yeji whispers out, “mom?”

Jinsoul turns and hates how she sees unshushed tears in her daughter's eyes. 

“Yes baby?”

“Do you and momma hate me?”

Jinsoul quite honestly doesn’t know what to say. She carefully maneuvers her other two daughters and grabs Yeji from underneath her armpits. “Come on let's go talk.” But once she’s got Yeji in the bedroom her daughter starts to cry, so Jinsoul lifts her up and sits her down on the bed before holding her.

Rocking Yeji back and forth in her arms, like she did when she was an infant, Jinsoul sings a lullaby. It’s the one she always sang to Yeji when she was crying. It works slowly, as the painful grip Yeji’s loosens. Jinsoul shushes her, “we don’t hate you, we never will, where are you getting this from?”

Yeji sniffles, “because I’m the reason you guys are fighting.” 

Jinsoul frowns, “no sweetie you’re not, we’re not fighting anymore.” She’s really unsure how to go about this, but tries her best to explain it to her daughter. “When I first met your mom...she wasn’t, well, she wasn’t your mom.” Yeji pulls away from her and blinks.

“She was a bit mean, like she was that day. But she’s not like that anymore. You know how you get really frustrated sometimes and you just can’t control it?”

Her daughter nods, “like when Yuna steals my crayons.”

“Like when Yuna steals your crayons yes, and sometimes you’re so frustrated with her you might end up saying things you don’t mean or hurting her. You’re mother was frustrated and just...ended up hurting me. Even though she didn’t mean it at all and she hates that you all had to see that side of her. She wishes she had never hurt you.” Yeji is staring at her now, listening intently. “You don’t think this is all your fault do you?”

Yeji then looks away, Jinsoul pets her daughter's head and reassures her. “Jung Yeji none of this is your fault. Your mother doesn’t hate you, she loves you very much and that’s why she was so mad in the first place. Because that man was saying really bad things about us and you. It was her way of protecting you.” Taking her daughter's tiny face in her hands she whispers, “and I love you, don’t ever think any differently.”

Her older nods and then Jinsoul pulls her back into a hug. “I love you very much okay? And your mom does too.”

Yeji sniffles, “then why doesn’t she talk to me?”

Jinsoul is part to blame for that. Deeply sighing she answers, “well, she wants to apologize to you. And I think she’s waiting for the moment she knows you’re ready to forgive her. This is the reason we’re staying here, so that you have the space. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you all this in the beginning.” Yeji starts to lean into her, and Jinsoul knows her daughter is getting sleepy. 

“Did she say sorry to you?”

“She did.”

Yeji whispers, “momma was really scary that day.”

Jinsoul shakes her head, “I know baby I know, and she feels really bad about it.” Jinsoul wishes Sooyoung was here, just so she could promise to Yeji she’d never be that scary again. “Are you still scared of her?”

“No...I miss her.” 

“Do you think you could talk to her?”

Yeji nods, then says, “I wanna go home tomorrow.”

Jinsoul smiles.

“We will, okay? We will.” 

~~~~

The next morning after all the girls are fed, Jinsoul kneels in front of Yeji. “You okay?” Her daughter nods, “you been thinking about what you wanna do?”

Yeji smiles, “I wanna go home.” 

Jinsoul reaches up to kiss the top of her head. “Okay sweetie we’ll talk more when I get back, that sounds good?” Yeji opens her arms up for a hug and Jinsoul gives her one. Rubbing her daughters back she explains, “I just don’t want you to feel pressured, that’s why I put some space between us all, so you had time to figure things out on your own.”

Yeji melts her in her mother's embrace, “I know mom…I love you.”

Jinsoul then pulls away reluctantly, not wanting to leave her daughter today. “I’ll be back soon okay? Don’t cause any trouble for your aunt.” Yeji smiles and waves, rolling her eyes as soon as Jinsoul turns her back. Her aunt Yerim was starting to be annoying. She wishes she could just go with her mom but the lawyer lady said that she couldn’t. So now Yeji was stuck here...impatiently waiting for Jinsoul to get back.

But at least she was going home today.

~~~~

Sooyoung is stalking her wife...again. She slowly creeps around in her bmw laying low. Watching Jinsoul walk into a fancy government building.

Technically, Sooyoung knows she shouldn't be stalking her wife. But she has for the past week, yesterday was the first time she was caught. She missed Jinsoul though and lurking was the only thing that made her feel better.

Her wife looked nice today, professional, something Jinsoul doesn’t usually style as unlike her. Jinsoul liked comfier clothes compared to classy. It’s one of the reasons why Sooyoung loves her so much.

Bored after her wife disappeared she plays her mobile app games. Waiting for her wife to come back out so she can stare at her from afar. Jinsoul hasn’t texted her since yesterday either.

After about thirty minutes or so, Sooyoung gets a call...from Yerim’s.

Sooyoung narrows her eyes and skeptically answers,  “hello?”

“HELP MOMMA! AUNTIE YERIM IS TRYING TO- AHHHHH!” Sooyoung’s blood runs cold, it’s Yuna’s voice. “OH !”

Sooyoung has no idea where Yuna learned such a word but her babies were in danger...so she was going to be a good mom for once and save them. 

Putting her car in gear, she skids out the parking lot. Leaving a smoke trail behind as she speeds out of it.

On the other line, Yuna has a hand clasped over , trying not to make a peep. They were playing in the room with all the plastic...with some firecrackers and well. The rest was history.

Thankfully, Aunt Yerim had gotten a water hose in the house before the whole room had caught fire…but her antique sofa had burned. 

Now the woman was walking around the house with a fly swat, ready to destroy anyone who she saw.

Yuna shakily puts her hands together and prays to god. God I’m really sorry I stole all that money from Lia’s house that one time, and I’m sorry for blaming Chaeyoung all those times I stopped the toilet up. Oh and also for calling Chaeryeong fruity and making her cry.  

As Yuna whispers to herself she doesn’t even realize she’s being loud. She’s hiding underneath the bed but then something grabs her ankle.

She screams bloody murder as her aunt pulls her out.

~~~~

Yerim sits all of Jinsoul’s demons on the floor. She wasn’t gonna hit them or anything. Just a very stern talk to scare them.

They’re all shaking and Yerim believes she’s already making a point. “Now why were you three playing with firecrackers in my house? Are you crazy?”

The three shake their heads simultaneously.

“MY COUCH IS BURNT!”

“I’m sorry aunt Yerim were so sorry.” Yeji bows to her and Yerim shakes her head. Laughing.

“Oh...I know. And now I’m gonna burn your all’s asses.” 

Before Yerim can go any further someone is honking outside. Throwing the fly swat down she makes her way outside and pops her knuckles when she sees the familiar bmw in her driveway.

Yerim knew she was coming when she heard Yuna screaming on the phone. She wouldn’t doubt if Sooyoung was mad as hell.

Sooyoung jumps out the car and Yerim squares up before noticing what the woman had on. “What are you wearing?!” 

Sooyoung has her fists up as well, looking down she flops them to her side, “oh shut up! I was sleeping!”

The woman had a nightgown on, pink with little stars on it. Yerim snorts at how stupid it looks. “Alright you I’ve been waiting for this.” She squares up again and now they’re circling around in the yard. 

Sooyoung’s expression is angry but she calmly explains, “Listen I don’t wanna fight, I just wanna get my kids and go.”

“Oh so you not crazy anymore?”

Sooyoung stops, her shoulders slumping. “Come on Yerim, don’t be like this.”

“I will not hesitate to go Solange on your .” Yerim warns, “you have disrespected my sister for the last time.”

“And you’re disrespecting my kids! can we not agree that we all make mistakes?”

“They burnt my couch!”

“They... That’s oh wow. Um I can buy you a new one if you want.” Yerim puts her fists down, wow Sooyoung really wasn’t acting crazy. She was being sensible and calm. Yerim was expecting some drama but this was just boring. 

Crossing her arms she disagrees, “they don’t sell couches like that no more. It was our moms.” 

Sooyoung frowns, “listen I’m sorry. I am, I'll do anything you ask just...let me see the girls please.” Yerim can’t believe she’s about to go back on her sister's word but...Sooyoung seemed desperate and really sad.

Like she wasn’t the same woman anymore without her family.

It kinda reminded Yerim the first time she met Sooyoung. The woman was all smiles but had a weird sense of loneliness to her. 

“Please?”

Yerim nods but then another car rolls up. Jinsoul is opening the door before Yeojin can even park. “What is-“

“Ah man we were about to tussle!” Yerim jokes around and Jinsoul comes up behind Sooyoung grabbing her.

Sooyoung smiles when she sees her wife, a whole new light shining from her. “Hi.”

“What are you doing here?” 

“You’re not happy to see me?”

Jinsoul pouts a little, “of course but…” Jinsoul turns to Yerim, “alright what’s going on?”

Sooyoung mouths  at Yerim, while the younger woman flips her off. Then Sooyoung turns to Yeojin to shake her hand, “hello, how are you today, hard working lady?”

“You’re kids burnt my couch, I think it’s time you all went home. Wife’s already here, she’ll help you pack.” 

“They- they burnt mom's couch?”

“Yup, your kids are little devils.” Yerim rolls her eyes and waves them off, going to sit on her porch.

Jinsoul calls out to her, “sorry sunshine!”

Yeojin is being very selfish with all the information about the case. Leaving Sooyoung pretty confused. She turns to her wife, a sad look in her eye. “You taking me to court?”

Jinsoul glares at Yeojin who shrugs her shoulders, “I mean…”

Sooyoung gasps, and there’s a painful husk to her voice. “Jinsoul.”

Jinsoul quickly grabs her and a squeezes her arms, “what no, of course not Sooyoung.” Her wife’s lip quivers and Jinsoul lowly explains, “I’d never snitch on you daddy.”

“Okayyy I’m out of this conversation goodbye.” Yeojin says and then leaves them alone. Jinsoul smiles at her wife and receives a bigger one.

“Hi.”

“Hi.” Sooyoung whispers, “can you guys come home now?” 

Jinsoul pretends to be thinking, tapping a finger to her chin, “hmmm I don’t know actually wait a minute no! You have been stalking me I know you have! And don’t even get me started on the cats, Sooyoung you know…”

Sooyoung listens intently to her wife’s complaints and slowly wraps her arms around her waist. Nodding along to every word. She can’t help but smile, she’s missed Jinsoul so much. The happiness in Sooyoung’s chest blooms.

And then there’s her kids.

“Hey you can yell at me all you want when we get home but can I see my babies.”

Jinsoul pauses and rolls her eyes. But then smiles and grabs her hand leading her to the house.

Except Yerim is sitting there, chewing on her nails nervously. Yeojin also pops out, sweating.

“What?” Jinsoul asks, confused and a bit scared.

“Um they’re gone.”

“Who.”

“The kids…”

~~~~

About a mile away, Yuna, Yeji and Chaeyoung are running through the streets. They stole Yerim’s phone and car keys, all of Yeojin’s money. A bag of their moms and some hoodies so they could hide themselves.

“Okay we need to figure out where we live.” Yuna days and taps on the phone. “SIRI WHERE IS HOME?”

 I’m sorry, I couldn’t understand you. 

“SIRI WHERE IS HOME?”

Yeji and Chaeyoung stare at their sister and then the robot answers back. “ Where the heart is .”

“Piece of crap...her voice is kinda y though.” 

Yeji frowns, “you’re so weird.”

“Shut up!” 

They begin to fist fight and Chaeyoung rolls her eyes before grabbing the phone out of their hands and starts to scroll. 

“Okay we need to go to California.” Yuna and Yeji pause to look at their sister who has the phone turned towards them. She’s on Instagram and there’s an awesome video playing of a night sky and a comet. 

Yuna grabs the phone, “that’s not real stupid. California doesn’t have a night time.” As soon as Yuna starts to tap on it again the phone goes dead. “NOOOOO!”

The three of them stand in silence. Above them, thunder cracks. It’ll rain soon.

Yeji sighs.“So?” She looks between her sisters.

“What now.”

~~~~

Taeyeon is an excellent singer.