Chapter 3

Spring

I prayed to God that it was a coincidence that Wooyoung’s friend had the same name as SuA’s first love. Sadly, God could not help me this time. I had asked San if he’d ever gone to church and his answer was yes. When I hesitantly proceeded to ask the name of the church I died inside when he listed the names of his churches and the name of SuA’s church came up. 

 

I’ve been avoiding talking to SuA about anything in case the fact that I’m sitting next to her crush and ex-crush might slip up. I’ve never been good at hiding things, especially to SuA. 

 

"Want to be my partner for today?" Wooyoung tapped on my shoulder. 

 

I usually partner with the quiet boy who sits in front of me but he wasn't here today, and neither was San who was Wooyoung's usual partner. 

 

"Sure," I replied. 

 

Halfway through our work he asked me a question out of the blue. 

 

"How come you registered for evening classes instead of morning classes?" 

 

I looked at him surprised. 

 

"Why? Can I not?" I questioned.

 

"No I was just wondering. People usually choose morning classes because it's dangerous at night. Especially for girls."

 

I paused at his statement. Hmm maybe he’s not half bad.

 

"Oh, well I have to work during the day. My tuition isn't going to pay itself." I let out a dry laugh. 

 

He looked at me and broke out into a foolish smile.

 

"Guess that's one thing we both have in common," he said. 

 

Taken aback I only blinked. 

 

"Two," I said. 

 

He looked at me puzzled. 

 

"We have two things in common." I said again.

 

"What's the other one?" He asked curiously.

 

"SuA."

 

After class I decided it was time to tell SuA about Wooyoung and San. The guilt was eating me up; she deserved to know her prince felt the same about her. I got on the bus and pulled my phone out. 

 

Siyeon: What are you doing right now?

 

I texted SuA. 

 

Sua: I just woke up from a nap. Did you just finish class? 

 

Siyeon: Yeah. There's something I need to tell you. 

 

Sua: Me too!

 

I started typing

 

Siyeon: Really? What is it?

 

Sua: You tell first

              

Siyeon: Wooyou

 

I stopped. I bit my lip. No I don't want her to know. 

 

Siyeon: Woo

Siyeon: W

Siyeon:

 

Why can't I just tell her?! I closed my eyes, inhaled, then exhaled slowly. 

 

"What are you doing?" 

 

I opened my eyes and found San standing over me. He gave me a funny smile then sat next to me. 

 

"Why are you sitting here?" I asked. 

 

"Can I not sit here?" He asked back. 

 

He gave me an innocent look then suddenly smiled mischievously. 

 

"Were you confessing to your crush through text?" He whispered in my ear. 

 

My eyes widened and I felt the blood rush to my face. 

 

"What? No! I was just- I" I turned away from him flustered. 

 

"I was just texting a friend," I said calmly. 

 

He nodded his head with a look on his face that read "sure you were."

 

"Was it SuA?" He asked. 

 

I looked at him surprised.

 

"Did you see?"

 

He laughed. 

 

"No it's just, I can't imagine you texting anyone other than SuA."

 

"Well what's that supposed to mean?" I questioned in a harsh tone. 

 

"Oh no I- it's just-" He rubbed the back of head. 

 

"Other than SuA, you seem to block everyone out. In class all you and Wooyoung ever talk about is Sua. Sua this Sua that...," he started defending himself, " I’m not trying to judge you. I see the way you talk about SuA and protect her. Like when you try to protect her from Wooyoung. I like you a lot because of that. But the thing is Siyeon,” he paused as if he was trying to carefully choose his words, “you will never know if a person is good or bad until you open up to them. You have to take the risk." 

 

I stared at him not saying anything for a while. I tried to change the topic. 

 

"How come you didn't come to class today?"

 

He stared at me not saying anything for awhile too.

 

"I only come when I feel like it."

 

"Oh," was all I said. 

 

My stop was coming soon and I was feeling anxious for some reason. I finally blurted something out. 

 

"Do you think Wooyoung is a good person?" I asked. 

 

San smiled. 

 

"He's one of the best guys I know."

 

I narrowed my eyes, "are you just saying that because he's your friend and you have to put in a good word for him?"

 

He chuckled then in a serious tone he said, "he wouldn't be my friend if he was a bad person."

 

Fair enough. I looked down at my unfinished text and found a surprise staring back at me.  

Sua: You are taking way too long to spill your secret, I’ll tell mine first, my professor ended up in the hospital, so I’m transferring over to your evening class. We’ll at least have one class together this semester!

 

My heart nearly stopped. I quickly moved my thumbs. 

 

Siyeon: Wooyoung and San are in my class. Wooyoung has been asking a lot about you. 

 

Sua: What? Are you kidding? How come you didn't tell me sooner? Gosh I'm actually gushing right now. 

 

Whatever makes SuA happy should make me happy too.