Chapter 4

Spring

 

Today was the day SuA was coming. No one knew except for me and Sua herself. As I sat in the classroom I tried to enjoy the calm before the storm.

 

"Excuse me Wooyoung. Could I sit next to Siyeon?" 

 

Wooyoung did a double take with his mouth hanging open. 

 

"When did- How d-" 

 

"Are you going to move?" SuA asked coolly. 

 

"Yeah sure I'll move over." Wooyoung finally said coherently. 

 

It was seven minutes before class started and it looked like San wasn't coming today either. 

 

"Why did you transfer over?" Wooyoung asked SuA, trying to make conversation. 

 

"Didn’t you hear? The professor teaching my class had an accident so I transferred to this class quickly. You didn’t think I’m here because of you right?"

 

I almost laughed. SuA ate a whole bucket of ice cream because of Wooyoung and here she was acting like she could care less about the guy. 

 

"Are you sure it's not because Siyeon told you I was in this class?" He asked SuA leaning into her face.

 

He leaned in too close to my liking and I could see SuA’s cheeks turning a rosy red. They stayed like that for a minute while my heart pounded at a dangerous pace. 

 

"Seriously Wooyoung you need to get rid of that habit of yours of getting too close into a girls personal space."

 

San tugged Wooyoung back and gave SuA a smile. 

 

"Hi SuA, it's been a long a time hasn't it?" 

 

"Choi San…" SuA mumbled out looking mesmerized. 

 

What was this? I looked at SuA, then San, then at a confused looking Wooyoung. The poor guy hadn't even gotten her number yet. 

 

The rest of class was a painful experience. It consisted of Wooyoung constantly trying to flirt with SuA, SuA pretending to ignore Wooyoung and talking to me and San, and San trying to get Wooyoung to be quiet. By the end of class I was completely drained of energy. 

 

"I'll text you when I get home Siyeon. It was nice meeting you again San," SuA smiled at San for a good three seconds, "you too Wooyoung." 

 

She left the room leaving only her vanilla scent behind. 

 

"I've liked her all this time and I all I get is a 'you too Wooyoung' what is this? Do you have something going on with her San?" Wooyoung was evidently a little angry. 

 

Wooyoung turned to me. He jumped on Sua’s chair and grabbed my shoulders. 

 

"You know her the best. You're her best friend! Does she like San?" 

 

San pulled Wooyoung back. 

 

"Seriously Wooyoung this needs to stop. Leave the girl alone. Why don't you go home and calm down."

 

Wooyoung solemnly left the room mumbling incoherent words I couldn't make out. 

 

"Will he be okay?" I asked San worried.

 

"He'll be fine. Don't worry about it."

 

I got up to leave but was stopped by San standing in my way. 

 

"Are you taking the bus again?" He asked. 

 

"Yeah." I replied warily.

 

"My car just got repaired, want me to take you home? It's dangerous taking the bus alone." 

 

"I should be fine. Thanks for asking." 

 

"Alright, feel free to ask anytime though." 

 

I stepped out of the room first and made my way to the bus stop. I thought about my day today and I prayed that the rest of the semester wouldn’t be like this. I was halfway to the bus stop when I suddenly heard human footsteps behind me. I sped up my pace and so did the person behind me. I slowed down my pace and so did the person behind me. It was dark and no one else was around. I ran. The footsteps followed behind me and I ran faster. I spotted a parking lot with cars and saw one with its lights on. I ran over hoping it would scare off the person chasing me. 

 

I rested against the car out of breath and looked around me. The person was gone. I heard the car door open and close. This person must think I'm crazy. 

 

"Siyeon? What's going on? Are you okay?"

 

I stared at San baffled. I thanked God that it was him and not some random stranger who would have thought I was crazy. Although I'm sure I already look crazy to San right now. 

 

"You know that offer you made? About giving me a ride home? I could really use that right now."

 

The car ride was quiet and San would occasionally look over at me with worried eyes. 

 

"Did something happen? Do you want to talk about it?" He asked breaking the silence. 

 

"No nothing happened. I think I was being followed, so I ran."

 

It got quiet again and then he asked another question. 

 

"SuA drives doesn't she? I see her every morning from my house in her curva red Acura. How come she didn't give you a ride home?"

 

"SuA and I have talked about it before and we have an understanding that if I don’t ask for a ride then she shouldn’t offer because I don’t like relying on her. Besides she lives on the other end of to- " I stopped myself and thought about what he just said.

 

"How long have you been back and why didn't you introduce yourself to SuA again if you live in the same neighborhood?" I asked. 

 

"It's only been two years and I don't like the people in my neighborhood. Is it weird I never ran into her before?"

 

"What do you mean you don’t like the people in your neighborhood? Does that include Sua?" I questioned in disbelief. 

 

When he did not respond, I fumed. 

 

"I want to get out." I said with my arms crossed.

 

He looked at me like I was crazy. 

 

"Just because I'm not fond of SuA you are willing to get out of the car and die of the possible dangers out there?" 

 

He was obviously exaggerating and teasing me with the tone he was using to lighten up the mood but I wasn’t taking it.

 

"What part of her is not likeable?" I half screamed.

 

"I don't know, I don't know her that well." San replied. 

 

"Weren't you the one who said people should take risks to find out if others are good or bad?" I snapped.

 

When he didn't say anything I smiled in triumph. 

 

"I will forgive you for having bad thoughts about my best friend if you give her a chance like I'm giving Wooyoung one." I rested my hands on my lap as if I was a priest.

 

He scoffed in disbelief. 

 

"What do you want me to do?" He asked.

 

"Be nice to her," I snapped again, "I saw the way you were ignoring her today.”

 

“I wasn’t trying to ignore her on purpose, I was just trying to pay attention to the lecture.”

 

“Says the one who always skips lectures,” I mumbled loud enough for him to hear. 

 

“Fine. I’ll try.” he sighed in defeat.

 

The rest of the ride consisted of a calmer conversation. We talked about the lecture and wondered if Wooyoung was a , not that it was our business; we were just curious. 

 

“Thanks for the ride,” I stepped out of his car and waved. 

 

“Wait,” he said before I closed the door, “if you don’t mind, I can give you a ride every Tuesday and Thursday after lecture.”

 

“Are you going to be at lecture every Tuesday and Thursday?” I questioned. 

 

He laughed.

 

“If it means I get to give you a ride, then yes.”