Chapter 2

Spring

 

Summer break was over and the Fall semester was about to begin. Registering for classes was always like war. Luckily SuA and I got the classes we wanted. This semester would be different. I would be alone without SuA because I was planning on taking evening classes while she was planning to take morning classes. I would have loved to take morning classes with SuA but I had to work during the day. SuA said she needed the rest of the day to nap and study so she couldn't take evening classes. 

 

The first day of the semester was nervewracking. It was the first time since elementary school that I was attending school without SuA. 

 

I took a deep breath before I walked into the class. There weren’t many students, this was an evening class after all. I’m not a people person, so I sat down in the area where it was mostly isolated and waited for class to start. I didn’t even look up when other people started coming in.

 

“AHAHAHAHA” 

 

My head swerved to the sound of the loud laughter. I could recognize that loud voice anywhere. It was Wooyoung and a boy, who I could not recognize, followed along behind him. He and his friend were about to sit down on the other end of the class when he caught my eye. I quickly looked away hoping he didn’t see me. 

 

“Hey, it’s doggie girl.” 

 

, I mentally cursed. I heard his footsteps get close to me. I prayed hoping they were just a figment of my imagination. 

 

“It’s been a while since I last met you and your friend at the park. How come she didn’t call me?” He was now sitting right next to me and all up in my face. 

 

“Calm down Wooyoung,” the unfamiliar boy pulled Wooyoung back. “You’re scaring her.”

 

The boy pushed Wooyoung aside and gave me a smile. 

 

“I’m sorry, he can get too loud and excited at times.” 

 

I gave him a smile back and made another prayer to God that they would move before the professor arrived. 

 

“Alright, students please sit down.” The professor walked in.

 

The two boys sat on my right then got their pencils and notebooks out. I turned my head to the front, tried to hide my frustration, and let out a silent scream. 

 

The professor began with a small introduction of himself, then he started taking rollcall. Throughout the whole thing, Wooyoung wouldn’t stop pestering me about why SuA didn’t call him. It took every nerve in me to not scream out “MAYBE SHE DOESN’T LIKE YOU.” 

 

In fact, SuA did like Wooyoung, she liked him very much. She wouldn’t stop talking about him since the day we crossed each other at the park. Apparently, she had liked him for well over a year before the incident but she never told me or anyone because she didn’t like not being on the receiving end of affection. When he had made his move that day she was excited to have finally got his attention. However, she didn’t call him because she said it would make her look desperate. Instead, she forced me to sit under that blossom tree with her every day during that spring semester in hopes of running into Wooyoung again. We never did. We never saw him again during that semester or after. 

 

To be honest, I was a little happy that we never saw him again, but SuA was devasted. She cried and binged on “Descendants of the Sun” wondering why her soulmates must always disappear after she falls in love with them. 

 

“Choi San” The professor called out. 

 

My eyes widened. 

 

“Here,” Wooyoung’s friend called out. 

 

I looked at the boy who was supposedly SuA’s first love. He winked at me. I choked on my oxygen. This is going to be a long semester.