Chapter 1

Spring

I was five when I first met her, the person I loved the most in the world. She was sitting underneath a blossom tree; it was Spring, the season of love. I remember the exact song she was singing, I couldn’t help but hum along. That’s when she turned around and jumped on me. 

 

“Wow, you sound exactly like me! I’m SuA what’s your name?”

 

“I-i’m Siyeon.”

 

“Let’s be best friends from now on, okay? Cute girls like us should stick together.”

 

Other than our voices, we were very different from each other. At first, I was ashamed to be her friend. She wore lacy and glittery dresses while I wore my mom’s oversized t-shirt. During sleepovers, as a child, I would lose my way to her room. There was always so much to do in her house: she had a tea room, her own bounce houses, and she would let me play with her doll collection. When she slept at my house we played with rocks and talked until we fell asleep. She never once judged me, and I think that’s why I like her so much. 

 

I considered Sua my other half; the better half. For the longest time, I prepared myself for the day we could no longer be one. I knew this day would come, yet when it did, I did not feel ready to let go. 

 

Jung Wooyoung walked in like an unwelcome snowfall in the middle of Spring. I knew SuA thought differently; to her, he was refreshing and beautiful. 

 

Their story unfolded on an early spring day. SuA and I were studying together under the blossom tree where she and I first met. After a while, I noticed in the corner of my eye a boy who was intently staring in our direction. I recognized his face, Jung Wooyoung. His eyes were literally shooting hearts out at SuA. I was about to suggest we move to another place when a dog suddenly knocked me over.

 

"Get off of me you beast!" I cried out.

 

"Are you okay? I'm so sorry, he's usually very calm," The boy who was checking out SuA earlier was now in her bubble. The dude wasn't even looking at me while apologizing. 

 

For some odd reason, SuA smiled brightly up at him, "No it's okay, she's as strong as a rock she should be fine." 

 

I looked at her face then at Wooyoung, they were ogling each other. I sighed internally. There was only one boy SuA was interested in her entire life that I was aware of: Choi San. They met when she was twelve. He went to her church and she told me all about how handsome nice and reliant he was. Sadly he moved and her heart broke. I thought San was the only boy SuA would ever like, until now.

 

“There must be something I can do to make it up to you,” Wooyoung said with a bashful smile.

 

Before SuA could reply I interjected quickly, “No thank you, we’re fine really.”

 

He looked at me as if this was the first time he noticed me. 

 

“Oh but there must be something I can do,” he insisted. He looked back to SuA and wrote something on her notebook, “Here’s my number, call me when you think of an idea to compensate you two,” he winked at her.

 

SuA has this face she makes when she’s holding back a smile. The corners of her lips are suppressed and her brows slightly twitch. To others, it may look like a normal poker maybe agitated face, but I know its a face she makes when she is intrigued by something. She was making this face right now.

 

“I really appreciate the thought but I would like it better if you didn’t hurt my friend while trying to hit on me.”

 

Before Wooyoung could say anything SuA got up and dragged me along with her. Once she dragged me far enough out of Wooyoung’s sight she squealed. 

 

“Siyeon! Do you know who that was?”

 

I nodded my head and replied, “Jung Wooyoung, right? He's in our department."

 

“Not just Jung Wooyoung, THE Jung Wooyoung!” SuA grabbed my shoulders and squealed again. 

 

"I can't believe he was hitting on me. Oh my God, he was hitting on me!" She stomped her feet out of excitement. 

 

I smiled at her action. 

 

"I can believe it," I mumbled under my breath quietly so she wouldn't hear. 

 

Anything that makes SuA happy makes me happy too.