just another day

i have no name (but will you call me?)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

-Yoohyeon’s POV-

 

Today was yet another boring day of classes so I decided to voluntarily withdraw myself from them. To save me from boredom, of course. The only ones I like are combat and magic circuit training classes. I mean, what good is calculus for a hero anyways? Is counting from 1 to 10 not enough? Plus, Gahyeon texted me that she found some really cool plants by the lake.

 

Humming that rock song deja vu under my breath, I was more than happy to be outside in the sunlight. Being indoors for too long made me stir crazy and there wasn’t enough air in there. It sounds weird when I put it like that but that’s the only way I can describe it. But I guess not everyone is attuned to air like I am.

 

The lake is within sight and I start to run towards it, only to be stopped by a group of three boys. “Hey! Kim Yoohyeon! Out and about for another prank?”

 

...who are these guys again? Oh well. Just smile and wave and hope that they go away.

 

Though I guess random people calling me out for this is partly my fault. Gahyeon and I are basically known as troublemakers of the school. Well, it’s not like we intend to harm people, we just want to spice up our school lives a little. Studying and fighting and sweating are not how I plan to spend the next 8 years of my life. After all, when we become heroes, our lives are no longer our own.

 

Not everyone is as easy going as me though. Oh well, their loss.

 

--

 

“Kim Yoohyeon!” I drop my sandwich in shock, holding my hand to my chest. Next to me, Gahyeon nearly drops hers but she’s quick enough to teleport it back into her hand. Dang it, why couldn’t she do that for me?

 

A tall guy storms down the hallway with the angriest expression. A bunch of students stop what they are doing to stare in our direction. Great. He stops in front of our table and grabs my collar, forcing me to stand up.

 

“It was you wasn’t it?!”

 

“Sorry random dude, I don’t play the ‘guess what it is’ game. Be more specific.” I say with both of my hands raised into the air. Personally, I want to rip his dirty hands off my uniform but...this guy is pretty well known on campus. Kang Jinwoo is a rank 4, moving on to 5 and is a star student. Girls flock him for being handsome, smart, and strong (though I have to question the validity of all 3.) Many are saying that he will be Jiu’s second-in-command due to his strong healing abilities.

 

“Don’t play stupid, Kim Yoohyeon. You were the one that placed the water lilies in my locker and now all of my reports are moldy!” His screaming in my face is really getting on my nerves. Gahyeon moves to intervene but I hold my hand up.

 

“Look, dude, I don’t even know who you are,” I did but I wanted to hurt his pride a little hehe, “and as funny as that would be, I didn't do it. End of story so let me go.” I glare at the end to get my point across. Unfortunately, the commotion attracted a lot of attention, including the principal and the student head of the medical department.

 

The principal and Jiu break through the crowd, immediately moving to get Kang Jinwoo’s hands off my clothes.

 

“Both of you, my office. Now.” Great. I didn't even get to finish my limited edition grandma sandwich. They hardly sell those in large quantities at the cafeteria.

 

--

 

“...there are witnesses that say you were seen at the lake where water lilies grow, Kim Yoohyeon. And the cameras by the locker were conveniently turned off.” I think back to this morning, where I was skipping classes to meet Gahyeon by the lake. Those guys that saw me…

 

The principal and Jiu must have taken my silence for admission of guilt because they start listing out possible punishments and apologies that I have to make to Kang Jinwoo. Speaking of him (gross), he was smug as he heard.

 

“You will start by apologizing to Mr. Kang, Kim.” Jiu’s smooth voice broke through the principal’s droning, which I totally tuned out half way. I turn to look her in the eye, seeing a glint of disappointment among the anger. The way she looked at me stirred something in me. Normally, I would be very vocal about being wrongfully accused, but everything was happening so fast that I didn't have a second to breathe. But now I did. And I wanted to wipe that stupid smirk off that accusing ’s face.

 

“I won’t apologize. Because it wasn’t me.” I say firmly. My eyes did not waver once from Jiu’s.

 

“Wasn’t you? Were you listening? People saw you there and you have a reputation for being...less than appropriate in school. It was obvious to me from the start who it could have been!” Jinwoo interjects. Ugh, hearing his voice is giving me a headache. He talks like those 80’s heroes who spout nothing but justice and saving people. Like a broken record.

 

I turn to look at him sharply, “Where is your proof? Have you called in detective Dami to verify if it was really me? She would be able to tell us right away. Yes, I did go to the lake but I did not pick any plants, nor did I go near the medical wing today.”

 

He sputters a bit before pointing his finger at me, “You could have had your rank 3 friend to teleport it into my locker!”

 

“And why would I do that? It might’ve made sense if I were your rival in the department but clearly, we have two different powers. It doesn’t make sense for me to sabotage you.” I also wanted to say that Gahyeon would not be physically able to do that but then I would be exposing something about her that I didn't want to.

 

“You could have done it for someone else! Or for yourself! Maybe you were jealous of me for attaining rank 5-”

 

“ENOUGH!” Jiu slams her hand on the principal’s desk, making everyone jump. She gives each of us a scary smile that looks like one a murderer would wear and addresses us. “Both of you will await disciplinary action while the board investigates this situation. Until then, both of you are suspended.” I opened my mouth to argue but Jiu’s scary face makes me think twice. I can see in the corner of my eye that Kang tried to do the same.

 

“Wait, Jiu. Kang has to take his rank 5 examination and the Association has their eye on his progress. It would not look favorable for us if we delay it so he will focus on that for now and be suspended after. Dismissed.”

 

--

 

I slam the door of my dorm room and throw my bag on the couch. The anger in me is reaching a boiling point. How is this even fair to me? They’re accusing me without proper evidence and only I get punished?! This isn’t fair. So what if I have a reputation for playing pranks around the school? They should know that I have not and will not hurt anyone in these pranks. And it’s not like I’m going to school to play around forever, this is a hero academy for god’s sake.

 

As I am stewing in my anger, I fail to hear the door open behind me. The sound of the door closing gently snaps me out of it. A head of light blonde hair and that familiar round glasses. Jiu. The last person I want to see right now.

 

“Hey, I know that you’re angry-”

 

“Oh yeah? What gave that away, my less than happy expression or the fact that I was wrongfully accused and still got punished?” I say sarcastically.

 

She sighs deeply and I start to notice the signs of tiredness on her face. When was the last time she slept? Whatever, I’m too upset to care right now. “Your reputation and previous actions make you an obvious suspect-”

 

“Oh so you believe him too? Bec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter