the beginning of a dream: Teleporter

i have no name (but will you call me?)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride to Nonsan was painfully long. Bora and Jiu took turns driving on the long road. Unfortunately, a plane was not available to them because the place they were going to was too remote. So they had to use a car. Gahyeon in particular was extremely stressed.

 

(“Nonsan?”

 

“Yeah, specifically this small town.” Dami points to some obscured location. It didn't even have a name marker on the map. “...You don’t seem too happy about this.”

 

“Can’t say I’m too thrilled about going back home.” )

 

The youngest’s jittery legs and tapping on the window was starting to grate on everyone’s nerves.

 

“Bora, would you mind stopping the car?” Handong asks gently. Bora glances in the rearview mirror and aquieses. Once the car is properly parked on the shoulder of the road, Handong opens the door and guides Gahyeon outside. The others follow suit.

 

The chinese girl places her hand on her shoulder, concerned. “What is the matter, Gahyeon?” Gahyeon refused to make eye contact with the older girl. It was for such a silly reason and it caused them to stop the car. Now everyone’s eyes were on her. Yoohyeon and Siyeon approach her, asking Handong to step aside. They’ve known her the longest so they had an inkling as to what was bothering her.

 

“It’s okay Gahyeon. You should tell them. They will understand.” Siyeon is gentle with her words while Yoohyeon rubs her back in a comforting manner.

 

Gahyeon heaves a sigh, glancing over at the other girls. They seemed concerned, minus Dami of course. Still, it made her feel a little less nervous. “It’s really stupid...”

 

“If it bothers you then it’s not stupid.” Jiu says.

 

“Okay...well, here’s the thing. My family expects me to be this super cool hero since I’m an only child. And you know, it’s a small farming town and whatnot so having someone like me come from a place like that is a big deal. So….I may have exaggerated a bit to them in my letters because I didn't want to break their fantasy of me.” The more she spoke, the sillier she felt.

 

“So you’re asking us to pretend for you?” Dami tilts her head to the side. It was unexpected, coming from Gahyeon. That kid had the bravado of a rank 5 when she was being a smartass.

 

Gahyeon winces at the word ‘pretend’. “Well you’re all high ranking individuals. I’m not asking you to lie, just let them say what they want and they’ll be happy with that. Plus, we have a job to do so we won’t stay long.” Now that she got it off her chest, she was relieved.

 

“We do not have to lie or pretend. You are amazing in your own right and we could not have figured some of this out without you.” Handong directs a kind smile at her. It was always nice to hear compliments and she knows that Handong means it. What she doesn’t see is the way that Handong pinches Dami’s side for being so tactless. Good thing the detective was a pro at poker faces, even if she was being pinched by someone who could probably flip her over with her pinky.

 

Finally smiling that happy grin as she usually does, Gahyeon skips back to the van, ready to face her town again.

 

--

 

“Gahyeonie! Our town hero’s back!” A woman dressed in farmer’s clothes runs towards Gahyeon and engulfs her in a big hug. A big, burly man comes over after hearing the commotion and sees his daughter.

 

“Hi Mama, Papa. How are you doing?” Gahyeon’s voice is muffled by her parents’ suffocating hug. The girls stay behind, not wanting to interrupt the family reunion. Even though Gahyeon was apprehensive earlier, she clearly missed her parents, evident by the way she hugged them back with equal fervor.

 

“Everythin o’right ‘ere. What ‘bout you? I heard somethin’ happen in the big city!”

 

“Eh, our Gahyeonie is strong. I’m sure she drove ‘em off, right Hyeon?” Her father let out a loud belly laugh and patted her head. Gahyeon smiled back uncomfortably, unable to respond.

 

Feeling a little sorry for the girl, Dami steps up to offer introductions. “It’s a pleasure to meet you both. I’m Dami, rank 5 detective of the academy.” They both turn over to the detective, accepting her hand enthusiastically. The other girls also introduce themselves, much to the happiness of the parents. It seems that their little girl was making great friends at school.

 

“Gahyeon! What rank are you?”

 

“...Uh I’m still a rank 3-” The teleporter sees her mom’s face fall slightly but is interrupted by Dami.

 

“She’s going to move up in rank after we solve a case here. She’s my assistant and her help is vital to our team.” If Gahyeon was surprised by the unexpected help from the most unexpected person, she didn't show it. It did the trick, though. Her parents were elated to hear that.

 

“Ah, that’s our girl! Go on! Don’t let us hinder your hero duties!”

 

“Thanks Papa. Maybe if we have time, we can have a meal before I leave again.” They wave the family goodbye, exiting the farm property. Gahyeon finally relaxes, the tension leaving her shoulders. She always wonders why her parents are the only people in the world who can make her simultaneously feel comfort and discomfort.

 

As they walk, Bora puts her arm around the younger girl’s shoulders. “They love you.” She comments. “But that’s probably why you feel suffocated right?” Bora took the words, or in this case, thoughts, right out of her head.

 

Seeing the surprise coloring her expression, Bora grins. “My family is the same. I’ve always been powerful so they expected a lot from me.”

 

“You entered the academy as a rank 5 right off the bat, right?” The redhead nods her head. Gahyeon chews on her lip in thought. “I just wished that they would’ve let me choose my own path, you know?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter