the beginning of a dream: lunarian

i have no name (but will you call me?)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why didn’t you tell us?”

 

“For a similar reason to Jiu. The laws of the Moon dictate that we do not interfere with the other planets. The elders told me that we are more closely related to the gods than any other being on the Worldly plane so we follow similar laws.”

 

“You said you came here to chase well, Sun basically, because of the murders. If those women in the photos are not your people, then?” Dami taps on her chin in deep thought. “Ah, Sun was one of your people?”

 

“Yes. I did not know who he was possessing when I first arrived here but the elders ordered me to stop him.” Handong lifts her legs to get the swing to move.

 

“...If that is true, why did your blood activate the pillars but not his? Then again, he has been reincarnated several times so maybe his blood got too diluted.” Dami figures that is probably the correct answer because if he was still the same man from a millennium ago, he should have had a stronger fire power. Sun took his powers directly from a god and yet, it seems like Bora can best him in a fire-fist fight when she is in top shape. He also wouldn’t have the need to use all these different groups to achieve his goals.

 

“But!” The detective stands up abruptly and faces the other girl. “I promised you a date so no more serious talk.” She holds out a dainty hand to the blonde and musters up what she hopes is a charming smile.

 

Handong chuckles and takes her hand, threading their fingers together. She likes that Dami’s hand is tiny compared to hers.

 

“There’s a lot to see and do around town. Though I must warn you, I’ve never done any of these things myself so it’ll be a new experience for both of us.”

 

--

 

Dami can only watch with agape as Handong mercilessly destroys her opponent in DDR. The older girl isn’t exactly playing the game the way it is intended to be played but she still manages to hit every single note perfectly.

 

Earlier, she was shy about playing but Dami encourages her by making a fool out of herself. But seeing her flash a happy smile as she secures yet another victory makes Dami think that it was worth falling on her face. Her forehead and pride are a bit bruised up but no big deal.

 

“Alright kid, no more.” Dami decides that it’s time for her to have Handong’s attention back. She taps the shoulder of the little boy playing against Handong and ignores him when he pouts.

 

“But pretty lady is so much fun to play with! C’mon, one more round!” He whines to Handong. She merely giggles and taps his head.

 

“Your mother is probably waiting for you and I have a date waiting for me.” Handong steps off the machine and immediately holds Dami’s hand again, much to the embarrassment of the detective. But what can she do? She’s starting to get addicted to the feeling of holding her hand.

 

They leave the noisy arcade and into the nighttime streets of Seoul. Even with the ongoing demon activity and attacks all around the world, Seoul citizens try to go about their daily lives as much as possible. The two hero apprentices wonder if this peace will last with the incoming threat of Sun.

 

“There’s one more place I want to take you to for the night. I frequent this place a lot when I’m craving for some good San Xian noodles.” Dami leads the blonde through the streets until they reach a tiny corner shop with outdoor tables.

 

After they get their food and settle in for the night, they talk about random things that people talk about on first dates. It felt nice to both of them to be able to have this small sense of normalcy. Handong was especially taken with all the new foods and drinks she was having at the moment. It tastes nothing like what she has ever tried back at home.

 

“Hey Dami?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Thanks for taking me out to do all these activities. I know you probably were not comfortable with doing all of them but you still did.”

 

Dami nods, not denying that last part. “Yep, for you. Besides, I have to experience going to the arcade at least once in my young life so that Gahyeon and Yoohyeon get off my back.” Handong laughs at that. Dami might express her distaste for the troublemakers but Handong knows that she appreciates them all equally. She imagines that this is what it is like to have siblings.

 

“Still, it was a dream of mine to be able to come to Earth to explore the world and meet all sorts of people.”

 

“I’m guessing you guys don’t have DDR machines up there?” Dami raises a fine eyebrow.

 

Handong snorts inelegantly, feeling her inhibitions slip as the night went on. “Definitely not. We also do not have detectives with charming personalities. She says as she bops Dami’s nose. “We simply hunted for sport and for necessity.”

 

“Speaking of, what is your power exactly?”

 

“Just instincts. I came to realize that I appear to have a superpower because of the way I was raised and because of my natural biology. To Earthlings, I am faster, stronger, and sharper. But I do not actually have a special power, at least compared to my people.” Handong tucks back a piece of stray hair behind her ear.

 

“That...actually makes a lot of sense...I’m envious. Your people don't get caught up in dumb things like war and ranking politics. You’re wild and free...”

 

Handong turns over to Dami with the biggest grin on her face. “You can be too! The night is still young!” She tugs the younger girl out of her barstool and brings her to their next adventure for the night.

 

Though she was flustered, Dami let go of her inhibitions to enjoy herself like the teenager that she is. And maybe it was because she was feeling freer than she’s ever been that she decides to do something normal Dami would never.

 

“Dongie.” Without warning, she places the little moon trinket she got from Busan in the older girl’s hand.

 

“What is this? It is beautiful.”

 

“When this is all over, I’ll take you out to more places and visit your home one day. Promise.”

 

To seal the deal, Dami leans up and kisses the girl she likes softly. The kiss was quick, barely even 5 seconds but it didn’t fail to leave a warm imprint on Handong’s lips. The detective was full of surprises tonight, Handong muses.

 

Not one to be outdone, Handong grabs the collar of Dami’s clothes to pull her in for another kiss. “I look forward to it, Dami.”

 

Later, when they return to the mansion hand in hand and matching blushes, their friends tease the hell out of them. But out of love, of course.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter