Midnight Summer Dream: 1

AU Dump

The sky was cast and there was a gloomy ambiance settling over the town. Hyejin was observing the sky seeing as it was about to rain from her view from the bus window. The bus ride to the town was nothing but tiring with the roads leading to the town not yet paved making her ride to the town, a bumpy one. She swore in her mind that she could count on how many times she already bumped her head at the luggage compartment. She would rather walk the 2 miles than suffer this bus ride. She was too lost in her thoughts that she didn’t notice that she has already arrived at her destination. Sighing she got up and gathered her things, opening an umbrella as she got off as it had started raining.

 

‘Wow,’ she thought. When her commander said that she’d be going to be investigating a house at a far off town, she expected it to be run down with crumbling buildings, houses and with all kinds of people living in the streets. What she didn’t expect was the town to be in great condition with buildings and houses looking as pristine as ever, as if they were newly built. The people bustling about their day but saying welcome to her in a warm and friendly way when they noticed her. And so, instead of meeting with the previous detective that worked on the case, she went ahead and explored the town.

 

Somewhere in town, at a semi-modern inn, a bear-like girl nestled between warm comforters and blankets was just beginning to wake up when a hyperactive puppy-like girl jumped on the bed, sending her off in a tangled mess on to the floor with a thud.

 

“Jung Whee-in, it is 7 in the freakin’ morning and I was about to go back to sleep!” the bear exclaimed.

 

“I know that its 7 in the morning but seulgi we’re supposed to be at the house by 7:30!” the pup- whee-in said.

 

“Ughh, but it’s too early, and besid- wait, did you say that we need to be there by 7:30?!”

 

“Yes, now go get dressed, times a-wastin' seulgi. I’ll pack our things while you’re gone so that we can leave immediately”

 

And with that, seulgi speeds out of the room at the speed of light while whee in laughs and starts packing their things.

 

Meanwhile, at the front of the house, one Kim Yongsun was running around in circles while squealing in joy. Muttering and rapping about all the historical things she noticed about the architecture of the house. Questioning why they would build the house like that if they built it before the Victorian era while Bae Joohyun stands there looking at her partner and best friend since childhood with a face that is so done with life.

 

“Yahh! Irene, why do you think they built the house like this? If they constructed way before the Victorian shouldn’t it be only a one-story house instead of this- this mansion-like the design? And why do you think they call it a house when it looks more like a castle or a mansion?! Oh, oh ! and what do you think we’ll find inside the house? Do you think that it’s haunted and tha-“ her speech was cut off by joohyun slapping her over .

 

“Shhhhhh….. let me have a moment of peace and quiet first, alright?” yongsun just nods at what joohyun said. She knows that if she doesn’t the girl would surely give her “the stare” of which no one wants to get. Just thinking of it makes her shudder.

 

Releasing Joohyun says “Now that you’ve shut up for a while, I’ll answer your questions later. We first need to find who else is going to be staying with us here at the house alright?”

 

“Alright, though what do you think they’ll be like? From what the letter that we received said, we’ll be living with two paranormal investigators and a detective right?”

 

‘Right, we have a letter from the housekeeper of the house…. How did I manage to forget that?!’ Irene thought herself internally facepalming. “Well, we’ll know when they arrive and I pretty sure they’ll be here soon”

 

“Why’d you say that?” Yongsun asks, curious about how her friend knows that the others would be there soon. To her surprise, instead of answering her, Joohyun wordlessly turns her around so that she would be facing the front gates, where puddles were beginning to be seen from the light rainfall, and points her finger. Yongsun gaps at what she sees, not believing what she was seeing. “Maybe it’s because of that.”

 

At the front gates, they could see three women running from what looks like a herd of animals some frothing at the mouth (i.e. dogs, big ones, to be exact, pit bulls ). Running as fast as they can through the rain, Hyejin thinks about how the heck she got into this mess. ‘I should’ve met with the detective right away’ she thinks. Beside her, a girl of whom she now knows by the name Whee-in shouted “OPEN THE FREAKING DOORS PLEASE!!!” to the two other women in front of them.

 

She saw that the two women who were just gaping at them from the front doors of the house quickly spring into action. Yongsun and Joohyun didn’t need to be told twice, seeing as that if they don’t do anything they’ll be trampled by the animals that were chasing the other girls.

 

With the animals getting closer, Hyejin and Whee-in got their last burst of energy and sprinted to the front doors, throwing their luggage and things in before going in themselves and locking the door. The two were panting hard and dripping a bit because of the ordeal and Yongsun immediately gave them a towel and a water bottle. They thanked her and greedily swallowed the water as if it was the only thing that would keep them alive and using the towel to dry themselves.

 

“Thank you for opening the doors and for the water bottle,” hyejin says, hands on her knees still out of breath from all the running.

 

“Yeah, thank you for the towel too. You have my eternal thanks and I owe both of you one” whee-in tells them, sitting on the floor exhausted.

 

“Don’t worry about it, we would’ve been trampled and maybe injured too if we didn’t open the door and went inside,” Yongsun tells the two, she then looks at Joohyun to tell her something but stops herself when she saw that she was thinking deeply about something.

 

“Ya, Joohyun what’s with that face?” she asks waving her hand back and forth in front of said girl's face.

 

Joohyun faces the two other girls and asks them “Weren’t there three of you?” The two looked at each other, confused for a bit before a realization dawns on whee-in’s face.

 

“Heul!*, Seulgi!” she suddenly exclaims, jumping up to her feet and frantically looking around for her. The other three were looking at her as she panics until finally, Hyejin grabs her by shoulders and asks her ‘WHO THE HECK IS SEULGI? and WHERE THE HELL IS SHE?’ each word being emphasized with Hyejin shaking her.

 

Getting Hyejin’s hands off of her she answers, “You know, Seulgi? About this tall, has black hair and kinda looks like a bear? The one who stole your food and got us chased?” and suddenly the detective remembers.

 

“Oh… wait a minute, why was she even with you? And if I remember correctly, YOU were the one who stole my food, which by the way was extremely delicious, while she tried to tell you to stop.”

 

“Ahhh… hehehe, sorry for that, I was just really hungry ehehehe…”

 

“Ummm… not to be a bother but, ahh… we’re still here you know! and whee-in, who’s Seulgi?” Yongsun interrupts them, waving her arms like a kid to gain the two girls' attention. She really didn't want to interrupt the two since she was finding it amusing but she could see that the bunny named Bae Joohyun was getting a bit impatient seeing that the girls were getting off track.

 

“Seul is my partner-in-crime with ghost hunting or as she likes to call it ‘paranormal investigating’, I thought that she was running with us to the doors but seems like I was wrong,” whee-in said getting a dark look in her eyes as she continues “although, if I see her I’ll be sure to tell her a few things about just randomly disappearing”

 

Yongsun, Hyejin, and even Joohyun shudder a bit as she said that. Even if this was their first time meeting each other, the three all nodded to one another having the same thought of never getting on this girl’s bad side. They watched Whee-in, who seemed to be getting scarier with each passing moment until they heard a bang.

 

The four rushed to where the sound was made to see what was going on and they were met with the housekeeper about to scold someone who was covered in dust and from what they could see, just got inside from the chimney.

 

They didn’t know what to do so they just stood there, awkwardly waiting for the scolding to be finished. When it did finish, the housekeeper and the girl who was covered in dust finally noticed their presence and to the surprise of everyone, Whee-in walked towards the girl and smacked her on the head.

 

“Ow! What was that for?!”

 

“That was for just randomly disappearing to who knows where while Hyejin and I were running,” Whee-in says looking at the girl as if she was about to eat her alive.

 

“Seriously, you need to stop disappearing Seul. You make me panic to death sometimes.” She continues.

 

“Ahem, I’m assuming that the two of you have finished your chit-chat by now.” A voice said, and all heads turned to the speaker.

 

The housekeeper was a lady named Kim Hyoyeon, she was a kind person but can be a bit scary when provoked too much.

“Now that all of you are here, follow me and I’ll explain to you what we know about the house since this isn’t the first people like you came here to ‘research’, ‘solve the mystery’ and ‘experiment’.” Hyoyeon said, “Although, it is the first time we’ve had a team of mixed matched people.”