Just The Two Of Us

Can't Take My Eyes Off You

Chaeyoung POV

“Oh my God, we’re so lucky that the foods are still covered”, Jeongyeon laughed from her seat and highfive with Chaejun. “Congratulations Son Chaeyoung, you just embarrass yourself in front of the guest”, he mocked me. That’s really helpful you jerks. Seungyeon-unnie handed me a tissue and I quickly wiped my mouth. I tried to hid my face from Mina but I guess it’s too late because she already saw me after I spitted out my drinks. 

 

“Is she okay?”, Mr.Myoui asked Daddy with a concerned face.

 

“Don’t worry she’s fine. Kids, they always clumsy”, Daddy laughed. “Please have a seat, make yourself comfortable”, he showed their seats. I'm freaking out on my seat. I can feel Mina slowly walked towards me and take her seat beside me. Her perfume’s scent filling up my nose after she sat. It smells good. From the corner of my eyes, I can see Mina’s side profile. She looks so pretty even though from the side. What a perfect view.

 

“Nice to see you, Mina”, Jeongyeon greeted her. “You too”, she awkwardly replied. “Oh, did you guys already know each other?”, Mummy asked after taking her seat beside Auntie. “Yeah, we were classmates at the school”, Jeongyeon said. “Chaeng also know her”, she added. I snapped from her words. Excuse me?! I glared at her. What is she trying to do? Jeongyeon just smiled idiotly.

 

"Really, Chaeng?", Mummy looked at me. I just nodded and smiled to her. "That's good though. At least you already made some new friends at your new school, a good one ", she chuckled. "Mina, just let me know if she keep disturbing you at the school or in the classroom. This girl can be so annoying if her naughty’s side start appear. I guess she get that from her friends in Australia", she's joking with Mina.

 

“Seriously”, I muttered in low voice.

 

“Thank you aunty, but we’re good. Chaeyoung is very nice to me, I’m so thankful to meet her”, Mina shyly replied. My cheek felt hot after hearing her words. I hope nobody realised about my face that already reddened right now.

 

“Omo, what a sweet girl! Mrs.Myoui, you’re so lucky to have a daughter like her. Not just pretty, but also have a kind heart”, Mummy awed. Mrs.Myoui just laughed happily. 

 

“Attention please”, Daddy stand up from his seat. We all gave our attention to him. “First of all, I’m really grateful for being able to hold this lovely dinner tonight. I know it’s freezing outside but I hope this tent can make you feel warm and comfortable while enjoying the foods that were made by my dearly wife”, he looked at Mummy.

 

“And me”, I said just enough to be heard by him.

 

“and my youngest daughter”, he added. “I’m so thankful that finally me and my family can move in here, even though it takes almost 11 years to make the decision. All the hardships and the obstacles that we already faced really teach us to be more appreciate with everything”, his voice changed to sad. Everyone at the table just stay silent. “My old friend”, he hold Mr.Myoui shoulder. “Thank you for supporting me from the far, I won’t be in this position without your help and guidance. I really appreciate for what you’ve already done for me, my friend”, Mr.Myoui stand up and they both hugged each other. This is so heart-warming.

 

“To my younger sister and my brother-in-law”, he turned his body to Auntie and Uncle. “Thank you for helping us during our hard time, I will remember about that forever. I’m so glad to have someone like both of you in my life. To my lovely niece, thank you for taking care of my kids when we were not around. You guys are the sweetest niece I ever met”, he smiled. Jeongyeon nodded and keep a straight face but I can see that she tried to hold her tears.

 

“Last but not least, to my beloved family”, he looked at us one by one before stop at Mummy. “Honey, thank you for stay by my side until today. Thank you for accepting me the way I are, and keep patience handling my stubbornness. To my kids, and my daughter who were still at Australia”, me and Chaejun suddenly remembered about our older sister. “You’re the best gift I ever had in my life, you guys are my precious treasures and I love you guys so much”, he wiped his tears. “Love you too, Daddy”, me and Chaejun said. Don’t cry Chaeng, there’s Mina beside you. Calm down.

 

“Alright, I think that’s all for tonight. I bet you guys already feel hungry right now. Let’s eat”, he chuckled and grabbed his glass. “Cheers!”, we all raised our glass and start the dinner.

 

The foods are really delicious. We all feel happy tonight. We talked about our daily life and joking around with each other. “So Jeongyeon, I heard you were the captain of the basketball team in your school, that’s cool bro”, Chaejun fist bump with Jeongyeon. "Nah, there's nothing to brag with you. You're better than me", she tried to be humble. “It’s been a long time since I play with you, we should hang out more after this. Maybe a couple game would be nice”, he added. "Sure, or you maybe can teach me some of your new skills", Jeongyeon replied. "Deal", he munched his food. "What about you, Chaeng? Do you want to join us?”, she looked at me.

 

“Nah, I’m not interested”, I lied. Chaejun glanced at me before continued eating his food. Deep in my heart, actually I still love to play basketball. But after a fighting incident with some unmatured kids from my neighbourhood in Australia, I decided to stop play it. It’s kinda traumatized for me. The memory about a flying fist that were thrown by him started playing in my head. Luckily Chaejun and his friends were near there and rushed to help me at that time or I may get hit by that tall kid. I stared at my food. “Ah, that’s kinda waste. You were good at it though, I just think that I can suggest your name in my team”, she sighed.

 

“Guys, let’s play some games”, Chaejun said after sipping his drink. “How about truth or dare?”, Jeongyeon suggested. “Sounds great”, Chaejun raised his eyebrow. “Call”, Seungyeon-unnie picked up the empty wine bottle beside her and arranged the plates to make a space for the bottle to get spin. “Let me be the first one to spin it”, Jeongyeon offered. “Mina, do you want to play it too?”, she asked Mina who look interested with this game. “Sure”, Mina replied. “Nice”, the bottle were spinning and stop while pointing at Chaejun.

 

“Dare”, Seungyeon-unnie quickly said. “Geez, fine what do you want me to do?”, he asked. “Sing a song for us”, she said. No, not singing. My eyes turned big. “Unnie, please no. You will regret after you hear his voice, it’s horrible”, I pleaded to her. “It’s a dare, he must do it. Come on, sing for us”, she ignored me and asked Chaejun to start singing. Oh no, my poor ear. He stand up and hold a spoon as a microphone and sang a Christmas song.

 

"It's Christmas", He whispered softly and it makes me goosebumps on my seat. Older people shifted their attention to him. "Come along sing with me!", he screamed enthusiastically.

 

Dashing through the snow
In a one-horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go
Laughing all the way
Bells on bobtails ring
Making spirits bright
What fun it is to ride and sing
A sleighing song tonight

Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh, hey
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh~

 

We all clapped after he finished singing. Although it's 1 week more to Christmas, but the vibes is already come. Gosh, I'm so excited to celebrate it at our new house. "That was good, young man", Uncle praised Chaejun. He showed a 'love sign' to Uncle and sat back to his seat. “Alright, my turn”, Chaejun spun the bottle and this time it stopped at Seungyeon-unnie. “Aha! Truth”, Jeongyeon said. “Do you have any lover?”, she facing Seungyeon-unnie. “Pass”, she sipped her wine. “Nooo, you cannot avoid the question, you're the one who say it”, we raged. Mina just quietly watched us. Seungyeon-unnie wiped her runny nose and rolled her eyes. “It’s complicated”, she replied. “Mind to explain it?”, we curiously stared her. “I’m not in a relationship, but I have someone who I love. That’s it”, she muttered in a sad tone and then stay silent. We looked at each other. Adult things. “Chaeng, go spin it for Seungyeon-unnie”, Chaejun said. The bottle slowly stopped at Mina and I heard Jeongyeon gasped from her seat.

 

“Truth”, Seungyeon-unnie suddenly spoke. "Unnie, let it be a dare this time. Jeongyeon already choose truth before-", I tried to stopped her but then Mina quickly cut my words. “It's fine. So, what is your question, unnie?”, Mina asked. They looked at Seungyeon-unnie intensely. "She's drunk", Chaejun muttered beside me. What kind of question does she want to ask Mina? They barely know each other. I talked to myself. “Do you perhaps have someone special in your heart?”, she grinned. We all remain quiet for a moment before Mina break the silence. “Yes I do, I’ve known that person since I was a kid”, she replied. Oh, she do have?  I grabbed my drinks and sipped it slowly. I don’t know why I feel anxious and yet sad after hearing her answer.

 

“But that person is not your parents or family members right?”, Seungyeon-unnie stared at her. “No, it’s my childhood friend”, she carefully say to avoid Mrs.Myoui from hearing it. Her childhood friend? I see, that guy is so lucky to have someone like Mina in his life. I almost lost the grip on my glass while thinking about her words but luckily I snapped back to reality and quickly put it on the table. "I knew it, a pretty girl like you must already have someone, not like me. I'm such a pathetic woman", Seungyeon-unnie chuckled. Geez, someone please save her. She looks so drunk. “I think we need to take a break, especially unnie”, Jungyeon looked at Seungyeon-unnie in annoyed. “Mum, look at Seungyeon”, Jeongyeon said to Auntie. She took a peek at Seungyeon-unnie before shaking her head.

 

“Sister, my daughter already drunk", Auntie whispered at Mummy. "Oh my God, that so fast”, she gazed at Seungyeon-unnie who now acting weird on her seat. "Well, let's have a break before we eat the dessert, I make a lovely panna cotta for all of you. Let me get it from the fridge okay”, Mummy stood and go to Seungyeon-unnie. "Are you okay, sweetie?", she looked at her. "I'm fine, don't worry", Seungyeon-unnie tried to stand up but she lost her balance and Jeongyeon quickly grabbed her body to avoid her from falling to the ground. "Woah, that was close", she laughed. "Thank you my cute sister", she ruffled Jeongyeon's hair. "Just lay her on the couch, she will fall asleep after that", Aunty said beside Jungyeon.

 

"Need a hand?", I asked her. "Nah, I'm good", Jeongyeon wrapped Seungyeon-unnie hand on her shoulder and carefully walked her to the house while getting followed by Aunty and Mummy. "I'm going to help Mrs.Son. Do you want to join me?", Mrs.Myoui said to Mina. She nodded and both of them made their way to the kitchen. Now, there's only Daddy, Uncle, Mr.Myoui, Chaejun and me in this tent. 

 

I think my phone already fully charged. I found a reason to get out from this tent for a while. I slowly stand up but Chaejun suddenly noticed me. “Where do you wanna go?”, he looked up from his phone. “My room, I need my phone”, I replied and quickly walked to the house. "Can you just sleep now?! You already drunk, unnie!!", I heard Jeongyeon bickering with Seungyeon-uunie in the living room. "Heol", I mumbled. When I arrived at the hallway, I let out a sigh. So she already have someone who special in her heart? And she knew him since she was a kid? I guess I didn’t have any chance to be with her. I opened my room’s door and threw my body on the bed.

 

I'm such a loser, a loner, and a failure in love", I grabbed my pillow. "What a joke. Why I'm falling deeper into you? Why Mina?”, I muffled under my pillow. Suddenly I heard a knock on my room’s door. I took a peek but then got surprised with Mina sudden appearance.

 

“Oh- Mina, what- is it?”, I quickly sat and straightened my body. Did I forgot to close my door?

 

“I’m sorry to disturb you, I just want to ask if I can use your bathroom since someone else already used the kitchen’s toilet”, she explained.

 

“Sure- that door”, I pointed to my bathroom’s door. She thanked me and hurriedly get in. I hope she didn’t hear what I said under my pillow. Or did she hear it? 

 

Then things got quiet. I don’t know why I feel a little tense. Either it because of Mina was in my bathroom or because I was alone with Mina, in the upstairs without anyone know about it. "It's fine, just act normal with her", I calmed myself. I reached my phone near the bedroom’s light and continued laying on my bed while facing my back to the toilet. Someone is texting me. I looked at that person’s name and just rolled my eyes. This crazy girl. “Thank you, Chaeyoung”, Mina said after getting out from the bathroom. “Your welcome”, I replied but still didn’t took off my eyes from my phone.

 

“Idiot”, I giggled while replying a chat from my friend at Australia. “It's a nice room, you can directly see the road”, I snapped after realised Mina was still in my room. She just admiring the drawing that I put on my wall and a strawberry-shaped light which I hang on my window. Why is she still here?! I thought she already exit my room. I stole a couple glance at her. Now she’s fixing her hair in front of my make up table. Does she wait for me?

 

“Uh- Mina, you can go the tent by yourself. I will be there later”, I looked at her.

 

“Why? Did I make you feel uncomfortable?”, she stared me with puzzled face.

 

“No, it’s not about that”, I scratched my non-itchy head.

 

“Or you still mad because I slapped you few days ago?”, she sat at the corner of my bed.

 

“What? No, I’m fine about that", I'm crossing my hand. 

 

"You sure?"

 

"It's totally fine, Mina. That was my fault, I shouldn’t interfere your personal problem. After all, that day was our first time met each other so you must be smothered with my question and it may triggered you to do that. I also might get mad if a stranger suddenly asked me so many question when I'm not in the mood so I truly understand your situation. Human tend to be more emotional when they cry so I won’t blame you for it. To be honest, I deserve to be slap by you. I should realise that I'm just a new kid in your class, we don't know each other yet. I'm sorry. I promise I won't disturb you anymore after this, I will respect your privacy. You have my words-“, I tried to explain but then Mina quickly covered my mouth with her hand.

 

“Geez, cut it out! My ears already bleeding with the speed of your words. I forgive you, why you talk so fast”, she rolled her eyes.  I pointed to her hand which still on my mouth but she just ignored me so I it and she’s kinda shocked when I do that.

 

“Ergh-”, she wiped her hand on my bedsheet. “You know I just came back from the toilet right?”, she said.

 

I looked at her before I realised what she's trying to say. “Euww, Mina what the hell!”, I ran to the sink and washed my mouth. “That’s gross”, I walked out from the toilet and dried my mouth with a tissue. “What? I never say I didn’t wash my hands. You're the one who think that”, she smiled while crossing legs on my bed. I facepalmed. She just fooled me. "That unnie, is she okay?", she asked me about Seungyeon-unnie. "She'll be fine, it's not her first time acting like that during family dinner. In fact, that was just like an intro of 'Drunken Seungyeon'", I replied.

 

"Intro?"

 

"She will act more than that if my sister was with her. They both are the best duo", I suddenly missed my sister. 

 

"Your sister?"

 

"Yeah, Son Chaewon. She's in Australia right now, doing something that she like", I sat on my windowsill. 

 

"I never knew that you have a big sister, how old is she?"

 

"23 years old, she's 1 year older than Seungyeon-unnie. That's why they both are so close back then, like a real siblings. I wish she can be here with us but that seems like impossible to happen",  I took a gazed at the road.

 

"Why did you say that? She's your sister right? Of course she will come back to see you and your family", she looked at me. 

 

"Because she already choose it", tears slowly dropped to my cheek.

 

"She choose it?", Mina dumbfound with my answer. "Chaeyoung, are you okay?", she sat in front of me after she realised that I'm not responded to her question. I quickly hide my tears from her but she already notice about it. "Hey", she cupped my face and stared at me with lovely eyes. "Please don't cry, baby cub", Mina gently caress my cheek. 

 

“Hey lovebirds, am I disturbing you guys?”, said a voice at from the door.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surprise :))))