Maybe It's My Fault

Can't Take My Eyes Off You

Mina POV

I just stared blankly at the ceiling in my room on my bed. I still not changing my school’s uniform after getting back from school. I feel guilty for slapping Chaeyoung. Why I did that? I didn’t mean to slap her. It’s not her fault. She just asking my condition, and there’s me, suddenly being emotional with no reason. Wait, I have a reason. A big reason. But, it stills wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During Recess

“You’re not coming with us?”, Sana asked from her desk.

 

“I want to go to the toilet first, I'll meet you later at the cafeteria. Bye”, I said in a rushed. “Don’t take a long time!”, she screamed."Yeahh”, I replied. I walked quickly to the toilet to meet Jungyeon without been seen by anyone, especially Nayeon. I don’t want to make she think that I’m having something with Jungyeon. Geez, never. Suddenly my phone is vibrate. I looked at the screen and saw Jungyeon’s chat.

 

‘Where are you? Faster please, I’m dying here’ - Jungyeon

 

I just seen her chat and ran to the toilet. Why she can’t be patient for a second, I don’t know how Nayeon can fall in love with her. Maybe it is true that love is blind, smh.

 

Finally I arrived at the place where I and Jungyeon decide to met. I walked inside the toilet and saw Jungyeon already sat on the sink. “You’re late”, she said while raised her eyebrow. “My apologies?”, said I, uninterested.

 

“You’re not sincere saying that”

 

“Whatever, I need to ask you 2 things that are important in my life”, I said while crossing my hand.

 

“What is it?”

 

“First, why are you doing that to Nayeon?”, I stared at her angrily. Jungyeon suddenly become quiet. Her face turned serious and she try to avoid my eyes. “I don’t know what are you talking about. We both are fine, still contacting each other. It’s not like what you guys think”, she sighed.

 

“But why did you ignore her at school? Like she’s not exists! Don’t play with her heart Jungyeon-ah, we all know you’re not that kind of person”, I raise my voice a little bit. “Hey, I know what I’m doing okay? I don’t need your opinion. Enough talking about Nayeon, what is the second thing you want to ask me? Make it fast”, Jungyeon get off from the sink.

 

“Uh, I- want to ask you about something, actually about someone”, I lowed my voice. “About Chaeyoung?”, she said confidently. I looked at Jungyeon with a shocked face. Did she realised that I’m watching Chaeyoung from the far? What if she told Chaeyoung about this? Wait, isn't this what I want? I need Chaeyoung to recognize me. To remember me. But-

 

“Are you hear me?”, Jungyeon asked. She nudged me with her elbow after seeing me didn't gave any responds to her question. 

 

Ouch! What is it? Did you say something?”

 

She sighed while fixing her hair. “I said, she’s not Chaeyoung that you used to know before this. She is, the new Chaeyoung", she stopped for a while. "Mina, I’m sorry for not telling you earlier. I forgot, and I didn't expect that both of you will have a chance to meet again after getting separate for a long time", she explained.

 

“What- do you- mean, Jungyeon?”, I try to process what did Jungyeon just say to me now. She patted my shoulder slowly. “She didn’t remember anything about you, Mina. All the memories are gone". I frozed. "You okay?", she tried to look me in the eyes. "I'm fine, can you give me some space?", said I while holding my tears. "Okay", Jungyeon walked away from me and leave me alone in the toilet to give me some privacy. Slowly my tears falls down on my cheeks and the last thing I remembered is I'm running towards one of the toilet cubicles. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“She didn’t remember anything about you”

“She didn’t remember anything”

“She didn’t remember”

“She didn’t”

 

Those words keep repeating in my head. My heart feel ache. Tears keep running from my eyes. I feel so heartbroken right now. Why all of this happened? It's true I missed her so bad and finally she’s right in front of me now, but sadly she can't remember that memorable day. The day we both promise something. The day that I'll never forget in my life. I cried harder after think about it. You will never remember what I told you that day, Chaeyoung. I didn’t realise I fall asleep while still wearing my school’s uniform.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaeyoung POV

Jungyeon didn’t get to finished her words when suddenly her phone vibrate. It was a call from her mum. Asking where the hell is she. Even though Jungyeon did not use the loudspeaker button, I can hear auntie’s voice clearly on the phone. “Mum, I’m at Chaeyoung’s house. I had my lunch here”, Jungeyon tried to explain.

 

“Who is Chaeyoung?! As I know, you didn’t have a friend named Chaeyoung beside your- OH MY GOD! CHAEYOUNG! SON CHAEYOUNG! AH HOW CAN I FORGOT MY BROTHER ALREADY MOVE IN HERE?”, suddenly auntie screamed and it makes Jungyeon move her phone from her ear for a while. “Auntie long time no see~’, I greeted her beside Jungyeon.

 

“Yah Jungyeon-ah, give this phone to Chaeyoung. I really missed her”, said auntie. Jungyeon just rolled her eyes and passed the phone to me. “Chaeyoung-ah~ How are you? Aigoo I’m sorry for not visiting your family during the moving process. I'm so busy this week”.

 

“It’s okay auntie. By the way, this weekend Daddy invite you to our new house. He said he want to make a big dinner. It would be lovely if you can join us”

 

“Oh sure, definitely I will. I also missed your mom. I will tell your uncle later. But can you pass the phone to Jungyeon now? I need to say something to her”, auntie replied. “Okay”, I gave back Jungyeon’s phone to her. “Yes, yes. I’m going home right now, geez mum your voice is killing me”, Jungyeon said and quickly ended the call. She let out a sigh and get up to pick her things. "Yah, you still didn’t finish your words”

 

“About what? Oh, maybe next time. I promise”, she smiled. She waved her hand towards me and get out from my room. I continue laid on my bed while facing the ceiling. What Jungyeon just say to me earlier is totally disturbing my mind. Why she said that I already met Mina before this? If it's true, how can I didn't remember anything about her at all?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat on the couch near to the window in my room. The view is so relaxing. Tonight breeze is not so cold and makes me feel calm. From this window, I can clearly see Mina’s house since it’s not far from my house. The light in the room that I saw someone peeping on me previous day is still open, showing the owner of the room is not sleeping yet. I glanced at my screen’s phone, and it shown 11:30 pm. Is that Mina’s room? Why she didn’t sleep yet? Suddenly I heard a knock on my room’s door and Daddy’s face appeared.

 

“Why you still didn’t sleep, Chaengie-ah”

 

“I was about to go to the bed, but you suddenly came in”, I lied. “Oh if that so, I’m sorry. Goodnight sweetie”, he quickly apologised. I giggled and ran towards Daddy to hug him. “I’m just kidding, I didn’t want to go to sleep right now”. He hugged me back. “Why? Is there something bothering you? Someone from your school?”, Daddy looked at me. “Nah, I already sleep this evening, so I don't feel sleepy at all”, I lied again. I can’t tell him about Mina. Or about the slapping scene. Or else I’m dead.

 

“Aigoo, this is the usual problem happen to young people nowadays. You guys like to sleep at the evening and later can’t sleep at night”, Daddy started nagging to me but my mind already go somewhere so I just stared blankly at him, to show that I’m listening to him. “…back then when your mom and I were still in the process of knowing each other, we both…”, I nodded and sometimes make a questioning face. I really don’t know what the hell is Daddy talking about right now because my mind already fly away from my body.

 

“Daddy”, I suddenly interrupted him. He stop talking and looked at me. “What is it Chaeng? You look like in confusion”, Daddy asked me with a concerned face. “If I'm asking someone about their personal problem, am I a jerk?”

 

“Is it too personal?”

 

“Nah, I just ask her why did she cried, but then she got angry with me”, I pouted. I don’t know why I feel sad when talking about Mina’s condition. “Maybe she thought you're just a stranger so she got mad and feel uncomfortable with your question. Remember Chaeng, you're new kid in that school, not everyone know about you yet”, Daddy patted my shoulder and smile weakly. “Maybe”, I sighed.

 

“So, are you prepared for this weekend?”

“About what?”

 

“The feast, come on I already inform it to you right?"

 

“Isn’t a feast sound too fancy?”

 

“Okay, you can call it a dinner. But a big dinner, because I want to invite my old friend who live near here since it’s been a while I didn’t meet him”, Daddy smile happily. “You have a friend here? Why I didn’t know about that?”

 

“It's because you can't remember about him”, said Daddy while getting up from my bed. What does he mean? I want to ask him about what he just said but Daddy already exit my room. Did I know his friend before this? Again, why everyone saying the same things today? Is there something happened to me before this?

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------