Unexpected Encounter

Can't Take My Eyes Off You

Chaeyoung POV

It's been two days since the slapping scene happened to me and yet there's nothing progress about it. Whenever I tried to meet or speak with Mina, she seems like trying to avoid me. I just want to make clear about my intention to her. "Gosh, this is so frustrating!", I accidently slipped it out from my mouth. Everyone eyes were fixed towards me and their face looks furious with my sudden action. I buried my face on the desk and swear under breath. "!"

 

"Yeah, lot of ty things happened this week", said Dubu while crossing hand beside me. 'But I guess tomorrow will be much better than today, right? Finally it's weekend, I can rest all day long~', she smiled.

 

"Congratulations", suddenly I remembered about the dinner that will be held this weekend. Another tiring day. Why I can't have a lovely weekend? "Congratulations? Why? Do you have any plan this weekend?", she asked me.

 

"My family will make a dinner to celebrate our new house, so we need to cook a lot and arranged some the tables at the yard"

 

"Why your dad didn't pay someone to do it for you guys?", she frowned. "I've no idea", I frustrated. "Well, if that so then I can't do anything for you, Chaeng", she shrugged.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Chaeng, what time do I need to arrive at your house tomorrow?", Jeongyeon said while we're making our way to the p.e class. It's winter right now so the teacher let us play at the school gym rather than doing nothing.

 

"Suit yourself, as long as it before 8.00 pm", I replied. Tzuyu, Jihyo and Dahyun are walking behind us. Sometime we can hear they quarrel about stupid things and we need to intervene to make them calm down. "I don't know a trip for gym can be this long", I crossed my hand.

 

"Don't worry smol, you have a lot of time to learn how to deal with their stupidity, especially Chewy. She’s not that smart like you think", Jungyeon replied. “Oh really? I thought she’s like Mina but I guess I’m wrong then”, I giggled. “Nah, you’ve been fool by her serious face. One time, she had a fight with the class representative about cm and inch. She said centimetre is longer than inch and she even dare to called him stupid”, she added. “Oh my God, what an idiot”, we laughed.

 

“Hey, why both of you seems so happy?", Tzuyu asked behind us. “Nothing-”, Jeongyeon said before she burst into laugh. “I’m just telling Chaeng about your ‘centimetre’ joke”, she replied. “You what?! But I told you to not talk about it anymore right!”, she tried to grab Jeongyeon’s collar but failed. Jeongyeon quickly ran to the gym and almost hit Nayeon. “Sorry!”, she screamed. “DAMN YOU, COCONUT HAIR!”, Tzuyu chased her. Does Chewy realised that my hair is also look like Jeongyeon?

 

I just watch them disappeared from my sight before Jihyo start dragging me with her. "Come on Chaeyoung, we will be late to the class", she said. “Yeah, don’t worry about them. Chewy and Jeongyeon always fight but it won’t last for a long time. They will make up soon, Chewy is not that type of person who like to hold grudge”, Dubu explained beside me. “Except with one person”, she said in low tone.

 

“I can hear you”, Jihyo suddenly replied. “They are not fighting anymore okay, it’s getting better now. They changed, both of them”, she loosened her grip from my hand.

 

“In front of you, yes. But when you aren’t with them? They both will stare at each other like they are plotting a murder in their heads. You know nobody can stop Chewy once she starts get angry, right? Jihyo, my nose were bleeding because I tried to hold her for not attacking Momo last month, do you already forgot?”, Dubu let out her frustration. “It won’t change if she keeps provoking Chewy to fight with her, so please stop defending her. It makes me sick”, she leave us and walked alone to the gym. “Oh I’m sorry-“, Sana accidently bumped with Dahyun but she just ignored her and doesn’t look at Sana when she tried to apologise. “What’s wrong with her?”, I heard she asked Mina.

 

I turned to look at Jihyo’s gloomy face. We both just stayed quiet and make our way to the gym. Oh my God, why they like to fight with each other? When will I have some peaceful day in this school? 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mina POV

“Mina-yah, do you want to follow us tomorrow? Jihyo and I want to watch a new movie at the cinema", Sana asked from her seat. "New movie? Cool, I want to-", Momo raised her hand but quickly got pulled by Nayeon. “Did you already forgot that you want to accompany me tomorrow?!", Nayeon look at Momo with disbelief face. "Oh, yeah that's right. But where do we want to go actually?". Nayeon rolled her eyes and started nagging Momo.

 

Jihyo took a glimpse at the desk behind us before facing me. "So?', she raised her eyebrow. "I wish I can join you guys, but my family need to go to a dinner tomorrow. My father said it's important", I whined. My father doesn't tell me where is the location for tomorrow, and it's so depressed. “It's okay, just enjoy your dinner. We can go out together later. No problem", Jihyo comforting me.

 

"Yah, I'm talking to you! Don't ignore me!", Nayeon screamed. We laughed when we saw Momo just ignoring Nayeon and bite a snack bar happily. I accidently saw Dahyun glaring at Momo when she walked beside her after returning from the toilet and her face looks kinda unsatisfied. Weird, I didn't know that Dahyun also had a beef with Momo beside Tzuyu. I turned my body to take my water bottle in my bag and from the corner of my eyes, I can see Chaeyoung is drawing something on her notebook. What is she doing? I tried to take a peek at her before I feel like someone is staring at me, right into the soul. I glanced at Dahyun and saw she's glaring at me like she want to kill me. 

 

“Where are you looking at, Mina?”, she said with a straight face. Chaeyoung raised her head and our eyes met. “No- nothing", I panicked and turn away from them. My face is burning. I can feel my cheek slowly getting hot. Not because of Chaeyoung, but Dahyun. What have I done? Why she talked to me like that? 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaeyoung POV

Damn, I'm sweating like hell now. I stopped doing my work and watched our surrounding. Chaejun is cleaning the utensils, the flowers are still not arrived yet, the plates need to be arranged on the tables. Me? Tried to catch some breath after finished placing the tables for tonight dinner. Why we both need to do this? Isn't it much easier to pay someone to prepare these table? I walked out from the dining tent that were installed by Daddy. The cold breeze touched my bare skin and it makes me shivered. "Much better", I'm crossing my hands. Suddenly I remembered about yesterday incident.

 

“Are you okay?”, I asked Dubu while we both walking together to the school's gate.

 

“Yeah”, she replied, short.

 

“Then why did you talk with Mina like that? She didn’t do anything to you”

 

“I didn't mean to say that to her, it was accidently slipped out from my mouth. Don't worry, I’ll talk to her later. See ya~”, she patted my shoulder and make her way to the bus stop. 

 

"Yah! Those plates won't be clean by itself! Work fast Chaeng!”, Chaejun yelled from inside the tent. Man, I forgot about it. I ran into the tent and start cleaning the plates. One, two, three, four. Okay that's for us. I count the plates and arranged it on the tables. One, two, three, four, fiv- “Bro, is Seunghoon coming?”, I asked Chaejun about Jungyeon's brother.

 

“No, he’s not. He’s at New York, you dummy”, he said. Oh yeah, I forgot. “My bad, alright”, I took out four plates for Jeongyeon's family and placed it on the tables. “and Daddy's friend? How many of them?”, I looked at him. He shrugged. “How about five?”, I talked to myself. “Who knows, maybe they have a big family. Like us”, I tried to convinced him. He stopped for a second. “I don't know, wanna bet?”, he smirked at me. “50 bucks, less than 3”, he raised his eyebrow. “Four”, I replied. “Okay, it's a deal. You cannot withdraw from it”, we both shake our hand.

 

“Kids! Are you done?!”, I almost flipped the plates in my hand when I heard Mummy's voice. "Not yet!", I quickly wiped the rest of those plates. Damn, I don't want to waste my time cleaning these things all day long. I finished placing the last plates on the tables and ran into the house. "He can put those chairs alone, it's not that hard", I giggled.

 

"Yah Son Chaeyoung! Don't leave me!", Chaejun screamed.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mina POV

I look at myself in the mirror. So pretty. I winked to myself. This red knitted sweater really comfortable, especially for a cold night. I fixed my hair and grabbed my trench coat. I'm humming to my favourite song while walking to the downstairs and got surprised by Dad, who was sitting alone on the couch in the living room. "Dad, why are you alone? Where is Mum?", I sat beside him. "Oh, I'm still waiting for her, I don't know why she take a long time to get done", he sighed. "Women~", we both giggled at the couch.

 

"How's your day, sweetheart? Is everything okay?", Dad asked me.

 

A scene between me and Dahyun suddenly played in my head. He noticed that I didn’t responded to his question so he caress my hair slowly. “What’s wrong? Having a fight with someone? Your boyfriend?”, he smiled.

 

Euuw, never. I rolled my eyes. “It’s nothing, I’m just sad because I can’t follow my friend to go to the cinema today. It’s all because of you~”, I pouted.

 

“Oh come on, sweetie. You meet your friends everyday, isn’t it not enough yet? I ask you to follow us only for today, not forever”, he got up from the couch. Hmph. I crossed my legs.

 

"Chop chop, I'm done. Let's go guys", Mum suddenly appeared. They both wore their coat and walked to the door. I take the car's key in the box and ran to them. "Sweetie, we don't need to ride our car for tonight", Dad explained to me. "What? But why?", I dumbfounded. "That house is just near here, we can arrive by walking", replied Mum. She opened the door. "Come, we already late", Dad dragged me after he saw I still in confusion. Near us? Who is it?

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaeyoung POV

The tables are already done. Mummy is heating up the food in the kitchen while Daddy and Chaejun are nowhere to be found. I fixed my outfit in front of the mirror. Cute. I play with my hair. Geez, where are they?

 

*Ding dong*

 

I heard the doorbell ringing. “Chaeng, can you open it for me?”, Mummy shouted from the kitchen. "Alright", I ran to the door. Okay, first guest. Take it easy, you can do it. I opened the door and suddenly a bouquet of flower popped out in front of my face.

 

“IT’S ME SMOL!!”, Jeongyeon screamed and hugged me. She gave the flowers to me and smiled happily. “Geez, aren’t you in the same classroom with her? Why you acted like you’ve not seen her for a long time?”, Auntie slapped her head. “Ouch”, she pouted. “How are you, Chaeng?”, both Uncle and Auntie took a turn to hug me before walked to the living room. “I’m fine, thank you.”, I replied. “Unnie! I miss you~”, I clinging to Jeongyeon’s sister, Seungyeon. “I miss you too, oh my God you already grown up. Where’s the cutie Chaeng that I know before this?”, she laughed. I closed the door and find a vase to put the flowers.

 

“Oh you guys already here!” said Daddy from the outside while getting followed by Chaejun. They greeted each other and have some chats. “Chaeng, can you help me here?”, Mummy called me. “Sure”, I walked to the kitchen. Mummy already placing the meals in the big plates and it’s ready to be taken out. “Need a hand?”, Jungyeon asked behind me. “Yes, can you bring these foods to the tent?”, I gave her two big plates of foods. She took the plates from my hand and carried it carefully.

 

“Where is your friend, honey?”, Mummy asked Daddy when she saw him at the kitchen’s island. “They will be here soon”, he took a glance at his watch. It’s already 8.15 pm. “Alright, why don’t you guys take your seat at the tables first? Chaejun, pour the drinks to them first. We will join you guys after my friend arrive”, Daddy said. Me and Jeongyeon walked to the tent to take our seat. “Hey, do you know who’s my Daddy invite tonight?”, I whispered to Jeongyeon. "No idea”, she shrugged. I want to sat at the corner of the table but suddenly my auntie yelled at me.

 

“Chaeyoung! Go sit beside Chaejun, you're one the owner of this house. You need to talk with the guests”, Auntie pointed at the seat in front of Seungyeon-unnie. “But I don’t want to sit beside a stranger”, I whined. On my left is Chaejun’s seat, while on my right is the reserve seats for Daddy’s friend. “They won't bite you, Chaeng”, Jeongyeon replied from her seat. I just rolled my eyes. I bet this dinner will feel more longer than it should be.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mina POV

“Here we are”, Dad said after we arrived at his friend house. Wait, why this house looks kinda familiar? I examined it closely before my eyes turned big. Isn’t this Chaeyoung’s house? Seriously? Dad quickly hit the doorbell button before we saw some figures appeared behind the door.

 

“There you are! I thought you will arrive tomorrow, ahahahaha”, a man opened the door for us and hugged my Dad tightly. They seems so happy to meet each other and totally forgot about me and my Mum who already freezing behind them. Then suddenly a woman noticed about us and welcoming to her house. “Oh honey, why you didn't let them to get in first? Please come in, it must be cold outside. Make it like your own house”, she smiled. Her face really looks like Chaeyoung. I greeted her and thanked for inviting us for tonight's dinner. Gotta make a good impression in front of them. “Nice to meet you madam, thank you for inviting us today”, I politely said. “This my daughter, Mina. And Mina, this is my old friend, Mr.Son and that is her wife Mrs.Son”, Dad introduced me to them. I bowed a little bit and smiled at them.

 

“Omo, She so pretty. She’s in the same age with my daughter right?”, Mr.Son asked my Dad. I tried to control my smile. Oh My God, I’m in her house and that’s her parents. This is insane. I want to scream. Why I didn't have any clue that Dad was an old friend to Chaeyoung’s father?

 

“Yes that’s true. By the way, I’m sorry because Kai cannot join us tonight. He had some urgent things to be done”, Dad explained to Mr.Son. I took a peek at the outside of the house. A group of people already sat in a tent and they seems like having some fun. She must be there right?  “Let’s go sweetie”, Mum said and we make our way to the tent.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaeyoung POV

Heol, when they will arrive? I’m dying here. I picked some baby breath from the tiny vase that were placed in front of me and put it on my ear. “Chaeyoung, look at here~", Seungyeon-unnie took a picture of me on her phone. Chaejun looked at us and groaned loudly. “I’m hungry”, he said. “We all are”, Jungyeon mumbling. Waiting for the last guest really makes me thirsty. I sipped my drinks. 

 

Daddy suddenly appeared in the tent while getting followed by some figures. “Guys, I introduced to you, the Myoui’s family”, he introduced them. “We’re sorry for the inconvenience’, a man said beside Daddy and apologised to us. I turned to look at them. Ah, it's only three people? Damn, I lost my bet with Chaejun. I saw a man is shaking hand with Uncle, a woman is talking with Mummy and Mina!? I spitted out my drinks.

 

 

 

 


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I'm sorry for taking a long time to update this story. Lately I'm kinda busy with my university's life, but I will try my best to write a few chapters during my free time :) Fyi, I already made some changes in the previous chapters so if you read it back, the storyline will be different from what you read before this.