V- Are You Okay?

Can't Take My Eyes Off You

 

Chaeyoung POV

After coming back from the toilet, I straightly go to my classroom because the recess already ended. I saw Tzuyu and Dahyun already sat on their seat while Nayeon and her friends are still not entering the class yet. Same as Jungyeon. Jihyo and Mina already there also. I take a glimpse to Mina. She still looked puffy after crying and it makes me feel pity to her. Who the hell dare to hurt her?

 

“Where is Jungyeon?”, I knocked on Tzuyu’s desk.

 

“Rooftop maybe, or at the garden”, said Tzuyu, emotionless. “I try to text her, but she just seen it”, Dahyun said while stretching her arms. 

 

“Did she always be like this?”, I take a seat on my chair. “Well, only when she fight with Nayeon”, said Jihyo but her body is not facing us. “But today seems like it’s getting worsen”. Jihyo’s voice sound sad. I saw Mina looked at Jihyo for a second and then continued stare at her notebook.

 

“She's gonna fix it later, don’t worry”, Tzuyu tried to comfort Jihyo. “Yeah, like I trust that idiot”, she replied and just ignored Tzuyu. Things turned quiet after that cold conversation. Neither Tzuyu nor Jihyo said anything. Suddenly, the classroom's door were open and there’s Nayeon, Sana and Momo walking inside the class. Nayeon's face look gloomy and I don't know why I feel bad about it. 

 

“Mina-ah, where did you go? Why you didn’t join us? We’re waiting for you”, Sana taking her seat in front Mina.

 

“I just don’t feel well. That’s all. I’m sorry for not telling you guys earlier”, Mina explained to Sana. You lied.

 

"Is that so?". Mina nodded her head and smile forcely. Sana just nodded and turned her body from facing Mina. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“See you tomorrow Chaeyoung-ah~”, Dahyun and Jihyo waving their hand to me. Tzuyu just standing beside Jihyo while crossing her hand. Her face looked cold. I still didn’t see Jungyeon after the recess. I don’t know where she go. Sigh. Maybe I should ask about her condition as a responsible cousin. I slipped my hand into my skirt’s pocket and reached my phone to text her.

 

‘Yah, where are you?’ - Chaeyoung

‘I’m worry about you’ - Chaeyoung

*double gray-tick*

 

Where the hell is she? Should I go to her house instead? I put my brother’s hoverboard on the ground cause it’s getting heavy. Suddenly my phone is vibrate.

 

‘I’m in front of your house’ - Jungyeon

'Oh I see'      - Chaeyoung

‘WAIT, WHAT?!’ - Chaeyoung

‘What are you doing there?’! - Chaeyoung

‘Is it wrong? I have the rights to go to your house because I’m your cousin’ - Jungyeon

‘Beside that, there’s no one in my house. It would be boring if I’m going back during this hour’ - Jungyeon

‘At least please tell me first, what if my mum doesn’t at home?’ - Chaeyoung

‘Your mum is at home. I already get in your house. You've got a cool living room, Chaeng’ - Jungyeon

‘Your mum is cooking for us now. Come here quick, if not I’m gonna finish all of the meal’ - Jungyeon

‘Hahahhahaha’ - Jungyeon

‘Don’t you ever dare!’ - Chaeyoung

*Photo* - Jungyeon

 

I looked at the picture that Jungyeon send to me. She make a pose showing that she trying to eat the meal that my mum already cooked on the table. Gosh, this kid is really getting my nerve. I get up on the hoverboard and make my way to the house.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After entering my neighbourhood area, suddenly I saw Mina from the far. She’s walking alone with her head held down. Is this a good time to ask about her condition? I decide to move towards her slowly. She didn’t realised about my existence because she’s wearing an earphone. So I get down from the hoverboard and hold it to walk towards her.

 

“Mina-ah”, I tapped her shoulder slowly. I suddenly feel nervous. My stomach is cramped. I can feel the sweats slowly dripping from my forehead even though it was cold. My heart beating wildly. Chill, I’m just gonna ask how is she. I can do this. She turned her body to see who is touching her just now. When she saw me standing in front of her, she seems kinda shocked. I showed her ear to ask her to remove the earphone. She takes off the earphone and shoved it into her skirt’s pocket. “Wh- what do you want?”, Mina’s voice sound hoarse. She just stared me without any reaction.

 

“Ar- are y- you o- okay?”, I asked her. Damn, why I stuttered! I try to swallow my saliva but I don't know why it feels so hard. I looked at her face. My heart feels like wanna explodes. I can’t breathe. Oh God, help me. There’s angel standing in front of me right now. 

 

“I’m fine”, she replied short. Still doesn’t make any reaction. I'm just stare her. But all I see from her eyes was just a sorrow gaze. A pretty face with a sad eye. I wonder, how does her eye looks like when she's happy? Is it shiny? Was it beautiful, just like the owner of the eye?

 

"You sure?", I said, still not leaving her. In fact, I put my hand on her shoulder to prevent she running from me. But she look kinda pissed off. I'm dead. “I know we just met, but this morning I mean during recess, at the toilet I saw you cried. And I'm just worried about you, I know I doesn’t have the rights to interrupt your personal life but-", I still didn’t get to finish my words when she suddenly cut my words.

 

"Why? What will you do if I told you that I'm sad? What you gonna do? Chaeyoung-ah, you don't even know me so please stop care about me!", Mina suddenly raised her voice to me. I can see that she trying to hold her tears. Mina tried to escape from me but I quickly grabbed her hand to stop her. "Wait, let me-"

*SLAP*

I feel a sting on my left cheek. What? I frozed at the place where I stand. She just slapped me, right? I turned to see her face but she quickly ran to her house. I just watched her back leaving me and then rubbed my cheek slowly. Before she ran, I'm able to see her face. There's tears running through her soft cheek. Mina just cried again. But this time, it was made by me. Now I feel like a bad person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Mummy, I’m home”, I walked without energy to the living room. I throwed my body on the couch and closed my eyes. “What was that? You look happy when we're at school this morning”, I felt someone throwing a small pillow towards me. Jungyeon sat on my leg happily. “Move your from my feet”, I mumbled underneath the sofa.

 

“Let’s eat girls, the meals are done!”, my Mum screamed from the kitchen. Jungyeon get up from my leg. “I'm not hungry”, I replied lazily.

 

“Oh don’t be silly. Only I can act like that, don't copy me”, Jungyeon pulled my hand to make me get up from the couch. I tried to fight her but she so strong to resist. By hook or by crook, I doesn’t have other choice than got up from the sofa. As we walked to the kitchen, Jungyeon saw the redness on my left cheek. She cupped my face before examined it. “Chaeng, why you're cheek is red? Did something-”, I closed to avoid Mummy from heard about it.

 

“Shhh- Keep your voice low”, she still looked at me with shooked eyes. “What- hmph- happened- hmph- to you?”, she try to speak under my hand. “I'll tell you later. But promise to me that you won’t say any words if I let go my hand off your mouth?”, she nodded her head. I slowly take my hand off.. Jungyeon just looked at me and my left cheek continuously. I dragged her to the kitchen and acted like there’s nothing happened. We took a seat facing each other and just sat quietly.

 

“It’s been a long time since I met you Jungyeon-ah. Omo you look so pretty, I'm glad you grown up well”, Mummy patted Jungyeon’s arm. “Me too aunty. I bet mum gonna yell at me if she know that I’m going to your house earlier than her”, Jungyeon smile happily. "I didn't know you would come here today, if not I'm gonna make a dessert"

 

"She just randomly come to our house, Mummy",I said. I try to eat the food calmly but I still can feel the sting on my cheek. Man, I just want to eat peacefully. I slowly chewed the meat and control the pain that I’m dealing right now. Mummy realised about it and stared at me with a serious face. “Changie, why you eat like that? You look lazy", Mummy asked. I just shook my head and smile weakly. “I’m just tired, maybe because this is my first day on the new school”, I lied.

 

“Don’t worry aunty, Chaeyoung just tired meeting new people today”, Jungyeon smile brightly to convince Mummy.

 

“I’m glad you already make friends, Chaeyoung-ah”. Mummy looked at the clock. It’s already 2.00 pm. But Chaejun still not coming home. “Gosh, where is this boy? He already late for the lunch. Chaeyoung-ah, do you perhaps know where is your brother?”, Mummy nagged. “I don’t know, he didn’t say anything. Maybe he’s going out with his friends”, I said after take a sip of my drink. “Aigoo, this boy is really getting my nerve”, Mummy muttering before continued eating her meal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After finished our meal, me and Jungyeon go to the living room to get our school bag. Suddenly the front door was opened and daddy’s face appear. “Honey, I’m home”, Daddy greeted Mummy after taking off his shoes. He slowly walked pass both of us to the living room and rest on the sofa. He must be tired because he didn’t realise our existance around him. “Welcome home Daddy”, I said while picking my bag from the floor and walk to the stairs.

 

“Oh Chaengie-ah, you’re home! Where’s Chaejun?”, he said while closing his eyes. “We don’t know!”, Mummy yelled from the kitchen.  “Boys, normal things. If they're not at the basketball gym, maybe at the arcade”, Jungyeon said behind me. Daddy suddenly opened his eyes after heard Jungyeon's voice. “Yah Jungyeon-ah! How come I didn’t realise you’re here! Where’s your parents?”, Daddy run towards Jungyeon and hugged her. Smh, he didn't even hugged me. I just watched them from the stairs.

 

“I come alone, uncle. My parents are working”, she smiled. “I see. Anyway, please tell your parents to come to our house this weekend. Uncle want to do a feast for celebrating this new house”, Daddy said while patting Jungyeon’s shoulder. “Wait we’re doing what?!”, I shooked. Why I didn’t know about this? “Excuse me?!”, Mum frozed at the kitchen’s island. 

 

"What? Why both of you so shocked?", he laughed at both of us. "Honey, why you didn't told me earlier about this? At least we can discuss about it together", Mummy came joining us at the living room. "Yeah I agree, you need to inform us first, Daddy. This is surprising", I raged.

 

"First of all, it's not only a family feast, my old friend are also coming. And second, I forgot to told you guys", Daddy said calmly. "And lastly Chaengie-ah", he turned his face to me. "You and you're brother will help me arrange the tables, period", he winked. "What?!", Chaejun screamed at the front door. "What tables? What is going on here?", he said dumbfoundedly. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So, tell me. Who make your cheek turned red? I bet it comes from a slapped not from blushing”, Jungyeon said while laying on my bed after I finished changing my clothes. I examined my face in front of the mirror. The redness are still there. I rubbed my cheek slowly. Damn, it hurts. I washed my face and walked out from the toilet. “I don’t know why she doing this to me”, I sat on the bed’s corner.

 

“Who is she?”, Jungyeon looked at me. I stay silent. Ack! Suddenly I felt a slapped on my head. “That's hurt”, I rubbed my head. “I’m serious dude, who is she. The person who slapped you”, Jungyeon said while holding a pillow, ready to hit me if I insisted to tell her. “She's our classmate”, I replied. “Okay, but for God sake Chaeng, can you just tell me who is she? Is she doesn't have any name or what”, Jungyeon hit me with a pillow. I quickly surrendered to her because I'm not in the mood. “Okay okay! It was Mina!”, I said while avoiding Jungyeon’s attack. She stopped. “She’s the one who slapped you? Oh”, she said and take a seat beside me.

 

“What do you mean by ‘oh’? You should be mad because she hit me for no reason. I just met her today”, I whined. “I think you deserve it, Chaeng”, Jungyeon looked at me. I frowned. Why she said that I deserve it?  "What do you mean?", I stared her. "Well, she look like she's not in the mood today, so I think you're the one who provoke her to do that", she giggled. Damn, why I didn't noticed about it. 

 

"Chaeng, did Nayeon cry after I fight with her this morning?", Jungyeon laid beside me. I tried to remember. "Maybe, I don't know". I fixed my pillow and crossing my leg. "You know, I think what you just did to her is kinda harsh. That's not you. Nayeon looks like a nice person, and Jungyeon that I know will never talk rudely with a person like that", I said. She just stay quiet.

 

After a few minutes, she started talking. "I wish I can make she hates me. Honestly, I didn't deserve her. She deserve to be with someone else. Someone who can make she feel happy and protect her at any cost. I can't do that for her. I'm weak", Jungyeon confessed. "There's this boy, who liked her so much. His name is Mark. He always want to catch Nayeon's attention whenever he can. And he knows about my feelings towards her. Which result a cold war between me and him". "Cold war?", I asked. "Do you know that our school have two basketball teams? One was led by me and the other one by Mark. The teachers decided to split the team because they cannot handled the tension between both of us. There's one time where we almost punch each other face during our practice at the basketball's court. I bet you will hate him when you see him face to face. He is rude as , seriously", she cursed. 

 

"Wait, is he the one that you told me when we met last summer? The one who like to fight with you?", I looked at her. "Yeah, it's him", She nodded. "And that's why I choose to stay away from Nayeon, at least when we're at the school. I don't want him to disturb her", she sighed.

 

"Do you love her?", I said bluntly. She seems kinda shocked with that sudden question. "It's not wrong though if you really love her. Love is blind, dude. It doesn't matter if we're still young or what. Who cares? We can't force someone to not fall in love. It's all about heart. The heart knows what it wants. Come on, you're a basketball captain in school. How could you say that you didn't deserve Nayeon? I can see in her eyes that she likes you too", I punched her arms. "Didn't you just met her today?", she laughed. "Oh, you're right", we both laughed. 

 

"You think I deserve her?", she asked. "Of course, Jungyeon that I know will always be confident with everything she's done in her life! She never feel scared! That's the real Jungyeon! Who are you?!", I grabbed her shoulder and scream in front of her face. She laughed at my silly action. "Alright, alright. That's sound so encouraging, geez", she pushed me. "Remember, I will support you. Just like you always do when we were kids".

 

"Yeah I know", she replied short. "I deserve her, that's true", I heard Jungyeon's mumbled beside me. And then things turned into silent after that. We both just stay quiet until Jungyeon suddenly open . "Wait, you remember about your childhood?!", she screamed. "Of course I remember about you. We both grow up together right? Why did you say like that", I raised my eyebrow. 

 

"Did you remember about Mina?", she stared me. "Mina? What's wrong with her?", I confused.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made some changes in the previous chapter including this one because when I read it back, it feels like something is missing. (LOL)