NINE: DARA

ALL FOR HER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“.”

 

I was startled from my sleep when Jiyong bolted upright from his bed. He’s clutching his temples, cursing deeply as he realized it’s already the next day.

 

“Are you okay?” I asked, wanting to know if he needs anything.

 

He turned to me, regret filling his eyes. “, I missed mom’s birthday?”

 

I nodded, unsure on how to approach the situation. He tried to get his phone but I plugged it last night. I told him so and he added more strings of curses under his breath.

 

“What happened, Ji?”

 

He sat with his back on me. I wanted to see his face, my mind still dancing between my doubts and trusting him.

 

“I...my client offered some drinks while we were in the meeting and I...we had too much and I fell asleep.” He was incoherent.

 

“How did you get home? Hoon saw your car at the lot, that’s why I went straight here.” Where was he? If he got drunk, he shouldn’t have driven himself home. 

 

He shook his head, finally looking my way but his eyes were casted down. “My client’s partner drove me here.”

 

His tone is shaky, and as much as I want to believe him, my heart is thumping wildly in my chest.

 

“I should call mom.” He muttered, scrubbing his face with his palms.

 

“You should do that, and please be nice to her about Hyungdon, ok? I’ll fix you something to eat.”

 

He grunted his reply as I made my way to the kitchen. I keep telling myself it’s nothing as I make him a greasy scrambled egg roll and kimchi fried rice. I remember Hoon’s hangover soup and I know he keeps a couple of packs in their pantry, because of my brother’s love for wine and soju.

 

I was on my way out when a blur of movement caught my eyes. Was I just imagining too much or did I just see Jooyeon slip inside the elevator?

 

--------

 

Days after that moment with Jiyong, we settled back to our routine. My personal exhaustion from work is taking its toll on me. Just then, the girls scheduled a weekend brunch. It’s exactly what I need.

 

“You look like you lost weight.” Minzy greeted me. I did look a bit peckish.

 

“I’ve stayed late at work for weeks now. Been driving around for meetings too. God, I hope the preparations for our rebrand will be over.” I reached for Bom’s corn muffin and spat it immediately.

 

“What is that? Did you put cheese here?” 

 

Bom raised her brows at me. “I always put cheese there, Dee. I just changed it up to parmesan shavings than the usual cheddar.”

 

“It actually tastes better.” Gummy murmured as she gobbled half a muffin to .

 

Chaerin snorted beside me. “I can see that, Gummsie. Is that your fourth piece already?”

 

Just then, Gummy started to cry. Sobbing like a child. We all froze to our seats as we witnessed a very rare meltdown from her. Even Chaerin felt uneasy about it.

 

“Hey, I was just kidding.” She tried to reach out to her but Gummy just cried harder.

 

“What’s happening?” Hyorin asked, her lips are pouting as if she’s about to cry too.

 

Dahae and Bom exchanged looks, while Yeseul tried to nudge me. We were all clueless with what’s happening.

 

“Is this about Jungsuk, Gummsie?” Bom asked lightly. She stopped sobbing and faced us with her puffy red eyes.

 

“I think I’m pregnant.”

 

Silence greeted her words until I initiated to break it. “You’re not sure?”

 

She tried to hug herself, which prompted Bom to put her arms around her. Dahae sat beside her as we all inch closer to them.

 

“Did you take the test already?” Yeseul asked.

 

“I can’t...I can’t even buy a kit. I’m so scared. Jungsuk and I have been fighting a lot lately. What if I’m pregnant and he doesn’t want it? Who gets pregnant before they get married?”

 

Dahae raised her hand. “Hey, I did.”

 

A few of us chuckl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter