THREE: DARA

ALL FOR HER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I haven’t seen Jiyong in three days, although he makes it up with frequent calls and messages. I’m worried about him. I know what he told me is the downsized version of what happened to that event, but Shinhye laid out all the details to me.

 

I don’t really want to ask him more about it, because I just want him to open up to me on his own. All I can do is remain strong beside him and try to take care of him the best way I can.

 

“Dara? Do you have a minute?” 

 

I looked up from my desk and saw my boss, Ilwoo, standing in front of me. He’s the guy who took the trip and the job that I should have gotten.

 

Ok, maybe I’m being overly dramatic about it. Jung Ilwoo has been a dedicated employee from the Food Division of ICC, but he has always wanted to transfer with us. He’s a wine aficionado and to be fair, his approach to the brands under our department is impressive. The first month he got back from Spain, and was seated as my new boss, I admit that I hated him. 

 

But he’s been friendly and helpful to me, even if I’m being a bit of a to him. It was only when Hyoni pointed out that between my ten months in ICC and his three years, he really had a better chance at the job. I was just feeling smug because Hwangbo is on my side.

 

“What’s up?” I asked Ilwoo as soon as I entered his office. I’m past my phase and I’m more casual with him now, but I’m still not too keen on being friendly. Maybe a part of me is still insecure? I don’t know and I don’t even want to go deeper into that.

 

“Hwangbo told me to let you know that they’re opening an application for the London satellite office. Would you be interested to take the job?”

 

Our bosses have been campaigning for our brands to go international for years now, and a window opened in London. The head office is now processing business permits and applications for a team to head to Europe and market our brands to the public. 

 

“No, not really. I haven’t even thought of it. I’m good here, Mr. Jung.”

 

His eyebrows frowned at me. “Hey, I told you to just call me Ilwoo, right? I don’t want for us to be too formal around here.”

 

“Sorry, I forgot.” Like I said, I don’t intend on being friendly.

 

“Can I ask you a question?” Ilwoo asked as he stared straight into my eyes, like he’s trying to figure me out.

 

“What?”

 

“Why did you pass up the Barcelona job?” Look at that, he really is trying to figure me out.

 

“I just wasn’t ready to leave Seoul at that time.” I told him simply. Of course, there’s more to it, but I’m not going to tell him that.

 

“That’s what Hwangbo told me too. I just thought maybe there’s something more to that. I mean, you could have been sitting inside this office and not me, Dara.” He’s not wrong there.

 

“Well, sorry to disappoint you but that’s really all there is to it. Um, can I go now? I’m still finishing the inventory check and we need that signed tomorrow, right?” I started to stand up, expecting him to look disappointed, but he’s actually smiling at me and it’s downright irritating.

 

“Sure, Dara. I’ll send you the email for the application and think it over, ok?”

 

“You do that.” I sure won’t do anything about it.

 

--------

 

The next day, I was in line for coffee before heading to work when I saw someone familiar ahead of me.

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

The girl with the long locks turned and smiled as soon as she recognized me.

 

“Oh my god, Sandy!”

 

“What are you doing here?” I asked her as she ran to give me a hug. She’s always so bright, so cheerful.

 

“We’re visiting Seoul for a week.” 

 

“We?” It took a while before things started to sink in.

 

“Donghae is with me. He’s attending some fancy conference for five days, and I joined him so I can go around and take a rest.” She’s beaming up at me and she looks so happy.

 

“Looks like marriage suits you, Tae.” 

 

She tucked her hair neatly behind her ears and smiled as she drank her orange juice. 

 

“You look good too, Sandy. Gosh, who would have thought I’ll meet you here?” She’s so giddy and it actually makes me smile.

 

“Hey, I’m going to be late for work, but I really want to catch up. Why don’t we have dinner tonight?” 

 

Taeyeon frowned a bit. “Oh, Donghae has a dinner thing tonight, but what about tomorrow?”

 

“I’ll free my schedule.” I really haven’t made any plans with Jiyong, so I guess I can make it.

 

“That sounds great! Here’s my number.” She handed her phone to me and I gave her mine.

 

“It’s nice to see you, Tae.” I gave her a hug one more time.

 

She then looked hesitant at me. “Hey, do you mind if Donghae joins us to dinner?”

 

I know what she means, but I get her intention too. It’s been years since I left Busan and we’ve all moved on. It could be awkward, but we have to give it a try. We’re friends, afterall.

 

“I don’t mind, really. I’m not sure about Jiyong’s schedule, but I can ask him to join us too.” I hope he’s available.

 

“Oh damn, we have to apologize to him for what we did.” She looked really remorseful about it.

 

“Hey, let’s just focus on the good stuff, ok? I’m sure Jiyong is already over it.”

 

--------

 

“Are you ing serious?”

 

Jiyong isn’t over it.

 

“It’s just dinner, Ji. I haven’t seen them in a while, and I really want to catch up. I’m just asking if you’d like to join-”

 

“Why would I want to have a nice, casual dinner with those two? Did you forget what they did to us? Come on, Dee. Seriously?”

 

He’s fuming mad right now, but I know a part of his anger is also due to his frustrations at work. I want to let this go, but he’s just being unfair now.

 

“Things worked out in the end anyway, right? And I was just asking. If you’re not comfortable to be with us, then don’t. I miss my friends, and I really wanted to see them together as a couple.”

 

Jiyong stood there glaring at me, his hands holding each side of his hips. After a beat, he turned his back to me and took a deep breath.

 

“I get it, Ji. Don’t worry. I’m sorry for ruining your mood right now. We haven’t seen each other in days and I really missed you. Let’s not fight about this, ok?”

 

I hugged him from behind and stood on tiptoes to kiss the back of his neck. I can already feel him relaxing. I pressed the side of my cheek to his back and hugged him tighter. His hands held mine and kissed my knuckles.

 

“Sorry, babe. You’re right. This whole thing shouldn’t ruin our night. He turned to me and kissed my lips. “I missed you, Dee.”

 

My heart calmed down and let him carry me inside my room. We have so much to catch up on too.

 

--------

 

Taeyeon and Donghae are already seated when I arrived at the restaurant.

 

I haven’t mentioned the dinner to Jiyong again, but I sent him a message before going there. I didn’t bring my car in case Taeyeon wanted to drink. She used to love a couple of glasses of wine as far as I recall. I actually plan on sending them some liquor too.

 

“Hi!” It was all I got to say as I suddenly felt awkward joining the couple. 

 

Taeyeon was first to greet me with a hug. “Sandy! You made it!”

 

“Of course.” I answered her, but my eyes are already on Donghae. 

 

I wasn’t really expecting to feel anything but a part of me still felt a twinge in my heart. He was my boyfriend for six years anyway.

 

“Hi, Sandy.” His greeting was warm and sincere, and it almost made me choke. I never thought I’d get this emotional.

 

I tried to hide the sudden burst of heart attack I received upon seeing him by giving him a hug. “It’s nice to see you again, Donghae.”

 

As we settled in our seats, Taeyeon immediately called the waiter to place our orders. As we wait, we started talking about their stay in Seoul and the sights they’ve seen so far. 

 

“So, I take it Jiyong’s busy?” T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter