— 2 —

Our Secret Love Song

Kang Yeosang:

 

“Eomma! Appa! I’m home!” I shouted, shutting the door behind me. Wooyoung had said that he would meet me at the park in a hour to see how it had went. In other words, he wanted to see if I would have a couple of suitcases in my hand and to see if I needed somewhere to stay for the time being. Shaking my head, I carefully tiptoed into the living room to see my Eomma sleeping on the couch with a bottle of wine in her hand.

“Eomma?” I whispered, creeping up to the sofa and crouching down. I shook her gently and she groaned in her sleep, beginning to stir. Groggily, she opened her eyes and stared at me, eyes hazy.

“Yeosang?” She croaked, sitting up, slightly as she coughed. I supported her elbows as she sat up fully. “What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be in school.” She said. I sighed with a shake of my head.

“No, Eomma. School ended two hours ago. I went to the Café down the street with Wooyoung. Did you drink before you went to sleep?” I questioned and she looked down at the bottle of wine in her hand in confusion before groaning. She clutched her head.

“Yes, Yeosang. I did. Your Appa ... I have no idea where he is currently. I ~” She paused, turning to blink at me. “Do you have something to tell me?” I paled as I sat on the edge of the sofa, clasping my hands together.

“Yes.” I whispered and she irked an eyebrow at me. “I ... I wanted to tell you and Appa, but since he’s not here: I’ll just tell you. I’m ... gay, Eomma.” I told her and she leaned back against the sofa, her eyes fluttering closed.

“You’re gay?” She asked and I nodded, humming. Her features twisted. “Get out.” She suddenly said, harshly, eyes falling open. She stared right at me as her eyes narrowed into slits. “Get out of my house. I never want to see you here again.” She told me and I stumbled to my feet like she had pushed me away. Which she technically had. My eyes filled with tears although I didn’t know why: I expected this.

“You always tell me you’re proud of me: why does this make a difference? Because I told you I’m gay? That I like boys? Just because you couldn’t overlook the fact that I’m different in my own way, you’ve just lost your one and only son: your own child. Have fun with Appa, cause I’m never coming back to this Hellhole.” I snarled, turning around and jogging up the stairs. I slammed my door shut only for my phone to ring. Without checking the number, I accepted it and put it on speaker, pulling put my suitcase for vacations that was stored in my closet.

“Yeosang?” Jongho’s voice filled the room. I paused before yanking my drawers open.

“Yes?” I asked and Jongho sighed in relief.

“Wooyoung told me that you were going to see your parents: tell them that you’re gay. Did it — did something happen?” When he heard the commotion, he interrupted his own sentence for another question. I sniffled as I threw my clothes into my suitcase — just the essentials. I would be back for the rest afterwards. I shoved some jewellery and pictures inside before responding to Jongho’s question.

“Yes. But, I don’t want to talk about it right now, Jongho.” I said, quietly. I zipped my suitcase up and heard Jongho breathe in deeply.

“I’m coming to the park. Wooyoung said that you were meeting there.” He said and I hummed. “Whatever happens Yeosang, I’m always here for you, you know that, right?” He asked and I smiled, slightly.

“Of course, Jongho. Of course, I do.” I said and he laughed.

“I’ll see you soon, Yeosang, okay?”

“Okay.” He hung up and I shoved my phone into my pocket before walking down the stairs, dragging my suitcase with me. My Eomma materialized in the doorway, eyebrows shooting up her forehead.

“Where are you going?” She whispered, staring at the suitcase in my hand in shock. I glanced at her for a moment before looking away at the door a few feet away. A couple of steps and I’ll be free.

“I’m getting out like you so desperately wanted.” I told her and she frowned.

“No, I didn’t ~”

“Can you not hear yourself right now?” I demanded and she fell silent. Her messed up hair fell into her face, her tired eyes boring into my head. “Maybe if you stopped drinking, you would finally remember what you said and do all the time, Eomma! Appa’s barely home and you know why?” I asked, theoretically. She pursed her lips. “Because you care way more for alcohol than you do for us!” I shouted and stormed out of the house, jerking my suitcase with me in my anger and haste to get away.

“Yeosang! Wait: Yeosang!” Eomma shouted after me, but I slammed the door shut in her face. I stormed down the street, my suitcase clacking behind me and dragged it all the way to the park Wooyoung had told me to meet him at. Despite, Wooyoung saying to meet in an hour, he was sitting on a bench with Jongho, talking among themselves. Wooyoung spotted me and his mouth fell open as he noticed the suitcase at my feet.

“She actually kicked you out?” He asked and I faked a smile.

“Can’t have everything we want, can we?” I questioned and he shot me a look as Jongho stood up too, eyes studying me. I looked away.

“You’re living with me.” He stated.

“What?” I asked in disbelief and his intense stare stayed locked on mine. Wooyoung smirked slightly at the sight and I really wanted to whack him over the head with my suitcase, but I couldn’t. How could anyone when Choi Jongho was looking at you like that?

“I said that you’re staying with me. I have a spare bedroom ... oh, wait, my cousin is staying with me.” He smacked his forehead. Wooyoung smirk grew bigger.

“He can just sleep with you, Jongho. I’m sure neither one of you would mind.” Wooyoung said and we both blushed slightly when Jongho smiled.

“That’s not actually a bad idea, Wooyoung. Come on: I’ll take you to my house. My Eomma, Appa, brother, sister and cousin will be home by now.” He said, gently grabbing my wrist and taking the suitcase from my before leading me and Wooyoung to his house. My eyes widened.

“Say what now?”

 

 

Turns out that Jongho had two sisters, one brother, a cousin, an Eomma and an Appa, a dog and a cat, and a bunny. Who even has that many things in the house? As soon as we walked inside, we heard San's laughter coming from the corridor for some reason followed by Seonghwa’s scolding. My eyebrows rose as we ventured further into the house, Wooyoung shutting the door shut behind us. Jongho poked his head into the room then went inside fully, smiling.

“San? Seonghwa?” He asked as they turned to look at him, Wooyoung following suit, darting straight to San and into his embrace. I saw one of Jongho’s sisters squeal: the shorter one of the two. Jongho rolled his eyes as his Eomma smiled at him. “What are you guys doing here and how do you know my family Seonghwa?” He questioned. Seonghwa laughed, nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. His ears tinted pink.

“Well, I kind of clean some people’s houses as a second job and this was one of them. I’ve known your Eomma for over a year.” He explained and Jongho shrugged.

“Okay, Wooyoung, Yeosang this is Kelly, my Eomma, Hee-Young, Jaeyoung and Blue.” He introduced and I edged around the door frame, trying my hardest to conceal the suitcase behind me. Jongho suddenly tugged me in further and the suitcase clattered to the floor. I glared at him.

“Thanks, Jongho.” I hissed and he stared at me for a moment.

“Eomma, Yeosang’s been kicked out of his house. I thought that he could live with us. Since Blue's taken over the guest room, I figured he could stay in my room.” He said to his Eomma, still not taking his eyes of me. I blushed as his Eomma looked between us then shrugged.

“Okay, Jongho. Just ... don’t make too much noise.” She said and Hee-young snickered. Seonghwa walked over to me and dragged me into the hallway, Wooyoung following suit. Jongho stayed inside the room.

“Why didn't you tell me that you were going to confront your parents?” He demanded and I crossed my arms as Wooyoung’s smile dropped.

“I didn’t think it was relevant, Seonghwa. My family is something I’m not exactly proud of.” I reminded him and his eyebrows knitted together as he frowned.

“I know that, but you could have told me just the same.” He whispered.

“And what did you want me to say, Seonghwa?” I asked, my voice rising with each word. “My Eomma's an alcoholic and barely remembers most things to begin with. My Appa’s never home, probably cheating with someone else, I’ve barely seen him since I was thirteen. Half my life, I’ve had to fend for myself, Seonghwa. Excuse me for not being able to open up once in a while and tell you things: I’m not okay. I never ing was, okay? Excuse me for not telling you things, but I didn’t want to be a burden. All my life it seems like I’ve been a burden to my parents and I wanted this time to be different. I — I just — I just w-wanted th-things to b-be d-different for o-once.” I stuttered. Seonghwa stood for a moment shocked just like Wooyoung, but before they could say anything more, I darted into the room the others were in. Now, it just seemed like I was making a mess of things and running away from it after I had blew it all up. The others stared at me with the same look and I realised that they had heard every word spoken.

“Y-Yeosang?” Jongho whispered and I glanced at him.

“Not now, Jongho. I really don’t want to talk about it right now.” I muttered and Jongho nodded with an understanding smile, but I didn’t return it. I didn’t have the energy in me to try and act like everything was okay. Wooyoung cleared his throat.

“Is it alright if we invite the others over? I'm really craving some Yungi romance right now.” Wooyoung chirped and Mrs Choi glanced around the room, seeing no objections and smiled.

“Of course you can, honey.” She told him and Wooyoung pulled out his phone, disappearing out of the room to call each individual person. There was only three, though, so I didn’t understand why Wooyoung had to go somewhere else to call someone everyone knew. No one would care about the conversation they had.

“Who is ... Yungi?” Blue asked and that’s when I realised that not everyone knew everyone here. Blue was Jongho’s cousins from a different country, yet was staying at their house for some unknown reason. Wooyoung appeared in the doorway as if summoned by the calls of love from Blue’s mouth.

“Yungi is Yunho and Mingi. They don’t realise it, but they’re utterly whipped for each other. Like I’m not even kidding: the amount of times I’ve caught them staring at each other is unreal.” Wooyoung stated, drifting back into San's arms. I really wanted to know if there was something going on between the two, but then again, I wanted them to figure out what was going on between them. San chuckled.

“Almost as much as Hongjoong and Seonghwa.” Wooyoung laughed as Seonghwa started to blush madly, eyes widening.

“I — I don’t — what are you ~”

“Oh, come on. It’s obvious!” Jongho exclaimed and I giggled, making Jongho side glance me and give me a huge smile. This time, though, one of my own curved at the edges of my lips. Mrs Choi turned to Seonghwa.

“Wait, you’re Seonghwa ... Hongjoong’s Seonghwa he keeps ranting about twenty four seven that he’s here?” Mrs Choi questioned and the blush on Seonghwa’s cheeks darkened. Mrs Choi smacked her lips together. “Well, then ... I guess that explains it all then.” Mrs Choi said and San snickered while Wooyoung laughed at Seonghwa’s face.

“Of course he is.” San said just as the doorbell rang and Hee-young ran to get it. Mrs Choi was staring at Seonghwa like she couldn’t believe her eyes and I wasn’t one to blame. How would you feel if you started seeing someone in a new light that you hadn’t before?

“Wooyoungie told me that ~” Yunho burst into the room and ran at me, pulling me into a hug. I blinked in confusion as he shushed me when I tried to speak.

“Yunho? What are you ...” I trailed off as he flattened down my hair.

“Shush, little one. Mama’s here for you: everything’s going to be alright. I’ll protect you from the evil fairy.” He told me and I pulled back, irking an eyebrow at him with an amused smirk.

“Evil fairy?” I asked, sceptically. He nodded. “Are you comparing my Eomma to an evil fairy, Yunho?” He nodded again, giving me a strange look.

“She’s plain evil — she gave me cookies once without chocolate chips. How evil!” He exclaimed and I started to laugh. He grinned. “And then when Wooyoung started ranting about that cute boy he met, she threw a cake at him!” I laughed harder. “And ~”

“Yunho, s-stop!” I exclaimed, leaning against him for support as he propped me up. I gasped for air as Yunho flipped imaginary hair behind his shoulder.

“I’m amazing, aren’t I?” He questioned and I chuckled, holding onto my aching ribs that felt like they were going to combust moments ago.

“Sure.” I stated. “You’re like Ratatouille in the movie. You know that little grey rat? Only you can’t cook.” I said and Yunho placed a hand over his heart with an exaggerated hurt face.

“I’m an amazing cook." He told me.

“No, you’re not.” I countered and he flipped me off. I giggled and carried on.

“Remember that time when you cooked for my birthday and gave us food poisoning and ~”

“We do not speak of that time.” Seonghwa interrupted and Yunho looked at Seonghwa in shock as if he didn’t realise he was there. I knew he was trying to make me feel better and it was working: it was working a lot.

“Shrek ...” He squinted at Seonghwa. “Is that you?” He asked and Seonghwa sent him a y look and Wooyoung started laughing, his hyena laugh filling the room as he leant against San, head on his shoulder.

“You’re all so strange. I’m the only normal one here.” He said and Yunho and Seonghwa both snorted at the same time.

“Yeah, and pigs fly.” Yunho said and Wooyoung sneered at him, playfully. Seonghwa chuckled.

“If anyone’s at least a little normal here, it’s Yeosang.” Seonghwa said and I nodded in agreement at that because they were right. I was the only normal one. As normal as you could get with us, but still pretty messed up. The doorbell rang again and Hongjoong went to get it. I didn’t even realise him and Mingi was there. I only realised that the whole entire time Yunho was interacting with us, Mingi was staring at him like he was the most amazing person in the whole entire universe. It was sweet and cute, yet slightly disgusting how in gooey-ooey love they were.

“Who are ...” Hongjoong trailed off and suddenly there was a woman barging in the house with a wine bottle in her hand, feet shoeless and hair ragged around her head. I paled and backed away, tripping over my own feet slightly. She spotted me and I could smell the alcohol dripping off her in waves.

“Yeosang, honey ~” She cooed as she took a step closer to me, but Jongho slid in front of me, blocking me from my Eomma's view. She scowled at him that way lions would at their enemies. Mrs Choi stood up.

“Get out of my house!” She shrieked, but Eomma paid her no mind, staring at Jongho in pure hatred like she couldn’t believe her eyes at the sight. Mrs Choi looked like she was ready to beat my Eomma to pulp, but was too scared to do anything, just like the others watching with wide eyes.

“Get out of my way, boy. I need to have a heart to heart with my son.” She slurred and everything seemed to play out in slow motion after that sentence spoken. She lifted her arm and swung the bottle, aiming for Jongho’s head, but I screamed and slid in front of him. Before I could react, the glass bottle slammed against my head, breaking apart and shattering on the floor. I collapsed to my knees, vision dotting black as my Eomma seemed to snap out of her drunken stupor for a moment. She gasped then turned and fled out the house without a second thought, nor a glance behind her shoulder. I lifted my hand to my head and when I pulled away, my palm was soaked crimson.

“Call the ambulance.” Mrs Choi shouted to Blue, who ran to get a phone and dialled the ambulance. I groaned in pain, eyelids fluttering as Jongho slid next to me.

“Yeosang, don’t close your eyes, okay?” He asked and I nodded, faintly aware of the background noises. All I could focus on was Jongho’s voice. I blinked at Jongho, tears falling down my cheek. I seemed to be doing a lot more crying these day than usual.

“Jongho ... what happened in the park. I’m so sorry. I thought ... I’m sorry ~”

“You have nothing to be worried, nor sorry about, Yeosang. I’ll always wait for you and when you’re ready, we will make this work, okay?” He questioned and I smiled, groggily before my vision tumbled, going completely black.