Chapter 12

Blind Hatred

Tzuyu was the one that tried to arrange the meeting with Jeongyeon. It wasn't even because she was blaming herself for ruining the chance in the first place. She just had contact with Somi. And she was more than eager to help. She had been seeing Jeongyeon every day, and her boss didn't look happy. She wanted to help them figure things out. So the two of them began their plan. Which was pretty easy, on paper. It was much harder in practice. Somi was supposed to talk with Jeongyeon, very carefully, and try to convince her that giving her friends a chance was the right thing to do. But Jeongyeon is stubborn. Too stubborn for anyone's liking. Even Sana, who was completely terrified, was going to do it. Everyone's common sense told them that they should clear every possible misunderstanding. No matter if they would all be friends again or not. 
That day, exactly a month after they decided to meet with Jeongyeon, Somi thought that she could be able to finally talk through Jeongyeon's wall. Mostly because she tried every day with no progress. Jeongyeon would always tell her to go mind the counter. But she had outsmarted Jeongyeon at that time. She went to Wonwoo. 
"Hey, boss." Somi sneaked into the kitchen and scanned the place to make sure there was no one else in there. Wonwoo only hummed in response. "I have some serious matter to discuss with you." Wonwoo stopped kneading the dough and gave his full attention to Somi.
"Alright. What is it?" Somi walked closer to him and took a deep breath.
"Please tell Jeongyeon to meet with her friends so they can make up and be happy again." Somi finished her pleading with a sweet smile and she put her hands together in a begging sign. Wonwoo was quite taken aback by the request. So far Somi was pleading with Jeongyeon every day, with no results. But she still tried to settle it personally. He knew though, why she would come to him with that. 
"I don't know if I hold this much power, Somi. Jeongyeon is allowed to make her own decisions. I can't tell her what to do." Wonwoo resumed kneading the dough after he finished his answer. Somi wasn't going to give up though.
"Yeah, that's why she is making the wrong decision. You should tell her that and help her fix it. I don't know the whole story, but the rest really want to explain everything to Jeongyeon. And it may just help Jeongyeon be at peace finally." Wonwoo definitely agreed with Somi. Jeongyeon couldn't let go of her past at all. Even if she tried to. So maybe that confrontation would do more good than wrong. He would have to prepare for hard negotiations with Jeongyeon later.
"Fine. I will talk with her about it. I will try to help." Somi looked very pleased with his answer. She let out one last thanks and left the kitchen. 

Jeongyeon was trying not to get irritated with Somi. It was nice that the girl was concerned. But she didn't need to. Jeongyeon has made her decision. She wanted to apologize to her friends, but not while they act as if Sana didn't do anything. She was very much okay without them. She was for the last 5 years, why wouldn't she be now? She was grateful that at least Wonwoo didn't nag her about it. Or so she thought before Wonwoo started that conversation right after dinner.
"Listen, you will only meet with them to talk about what happened. They don't want to gang up on you. And didn't you want to apologize to them for what happened?" Jeongyeon tried to keep her cool while listening to Wonwoo's reasoning. She didn't want to get angry at him. But the topic of their conversation was something that definitely made her emotional.
"They are acting all friendly with Sana. And they say she didn't do anything. I remember what happened and I don't want to be friends with her again." Wonwoo put his hand on hers then. A gesture that was supposed to calm her.
"You don't have to be friends. Just listen to what they have to tell you and settle the things between you. You might even find out something you didn't know. Maybe they will tell you something that will change your perspective. And if not, then that is okay. I will be supporting you no matter what." Jeongyeon didn't want to be convinced so easily. She wanted to argue back. It's a serious matter after all. What could be that something she didn't know? They all knew the same thing back when they had separated. Maybe she was a bit curious after all. Perhaps it wouldn't be the end of the world if she met them. 
"Alright. I will meet them. But only once. Also, is it fine if I do it myself? It's not that I don't want you to be there. I just think it should be just them and me." Wonwoo smiled assuringly and squeezed her hand.
"Thank you. And of course, you can go alone. But call me as soon as something unpleasant would start happening. I will be there." Jeongyeon nodded and squeezed his hand back. She would have to prepare herself though. She wasn't planning to see her friends again. Especially, after she lashed out on Jihyo and Tzuyu. And with Sana. At least she won't have to see Chaeyoung at that time. It would take all of her to keep calm during the meeting. And that was why she tried to channel all her frustrations into baking. She kneaded her worries away. Well, most of them. She was still feeling the anger inside. But she was doing everything to ignore it. And after a week, she told Somi to inform the rest that she was ready. The response came faster than she anticipated though. And the meeting might've been a little bit too early still. Just in two days. Nonetheless, she appeared at the scheduled meeting place. And she was sure that one of them had rented that restaurant just so they could talk. 
She was quite reluctant to enter. She saw them all through the window and she was already feeling annoyed. But she kinda promised to do that. And she kept her word. She took a few deep breaths and finally entered the place. It was quieter than she expected. She knew that her friends were always loud, but it was silent. They were all just sitting by one of the tables. They only reacted once they heard her walk in. She was met with everyone's eyes on her. And she looked at everyone in order. Well, she refused to look at Sana. Because she didn't want to get angry at the very beginning. 
"Jeongyeon. We are very grateful that you agreed to this." Jihyo gestured for her to sit at the free chair at the end of the table. She obliged after a moment and took a seat. Then they sat in silence for another moment. 
"We wanted to talk things through. We have separated on a misunderstanding and we should clear it up." Nayeon was the next person to speak. That was what they had planned. They knew that Sana was in no way capable of speaking freely. Momo neither. And Jeongyeon might not listen to Tzuyu who was younger. Or Mina, for obvious reasons. So Jihyo and Nayeon volunteered to speak. And so far, it was going not bad.
"Sure. What misunderstanding could that be? We all saw the truth." Even though Jeongyeon's response came out harsher than she wanted, she was waiting for them to explain what they meant. She saw Nayeon and Jihyo look at Sana. And for a second, Jeongyeon also glanced at her. She wasn't sure what she had expected to see. But fear wasn't exactly on her list. Sana looked like she was going to scream and run away at any moment. She was holding on to Mina's arm tightly with her arms. And her eyes were definitely full of tears. That sight made Jeongyeon feel weird. She thought she would be angry at the mere sight of Sana. But she was feeling...guilty. Was Sana terrified of her? Jeongyeon put her hand on the table in such a way, that it made a sound. And it made Sana flinch and squeeze her eyes. She locked her arms around Mina's arm even tighter. Jeongyeon wasn't sure what to feel anymore. She was scared of her. But she wasn't supposed to. Sana was supposed to mock her. Be unapologetic. Not be terrified. 
"So, we will explain it for Sana. She isn't exactly feeling comfortable. You see, it turned out that Sana didn't give those photos to them to hurt Dahyun. She was told those photos would be used in a video about the students. They even asked for Nayeon and Sana's photos. So she had never known what would happen. She didn't want to hurt Dahyun. And we had never given her a chance to explain. We just assumed what is the truth." Jeongyeon couldn't believe it. She couldn't accept it. She had hurt Sana for no reason. It couldn't be. Jihyo took Jeongyeon's silence as a sign to speak further.
"We are saying the truth. I mean, even Dahyun didn't sue Sana for what had happened. Please, believe us. You don't have to be our friend. Just believe us." They all waited for any response. Anything would've been better than silent Jeongyeon. But they didn't want to rush her either. So they stayed silent as well. 
"So she didn't do it? And I have hurt her for no reason? And now she is terrified of me? Because I was too much of an to listen." Nayeon nodded to confirm Jeongyeon's thoughts. Even if she didn't ask for that. And it hit her. She was going to Sana's room that day and just seeing red. She could've killed her. An innocent person. She put her face into her hands and stayed like that for a while.
"Sana." Her voice made Sana hide behind Mina. She has never expected anyone to be afraid of her. But it was definitely appropriate. She attacked her out of nowhere and punched her mercilessly. What if Mina didn't follow her? She didn't want to imagine. "Sana. I am sorry for what I did to you. I was so angry I didn't even think about talking. And I should've." She didn't get any answer. Obviously. She wasn't sure if she deserved any type of forgiveness for her actions. 
"Thank you, Jeongyeon. For coming here and listening." It was Mina who replied. Jeongyeon couldn't tell how Mina felt about it. Her face didn't reveal anything and her eyes were hidden behind sunglasses. She knew what it meant, but she opted not to comment on it. She did on Mina's words though.
"Don't thank me. I should be thanking you for not jumping me. I know that what I did is wrong. I really regret it. But I know it won't fix anything." It was something they all knew. A sad truth. At least they had explained everything.
"But you still listened. It's true that it probably won't change anything, but at least there are no hard feelings between us." Momo gained some courage to speak. She felt like it was good enough for them. All of them felt that way. They probably were not going to be close again. Even if it was sad. 
"Yeah. I guess it's better this way. I won't do anything to you again. And you can all visit my bakery whenever you want. With no obligation to talk with me." Their smiles were genuine. It was still awkward. And Sana still preferred to stay behind Mina. She was still scared, but the honest apology made her a little bit more comfortable. To the point that she could lose her hold on Mina's arm. 

 

"She wants to meet her?" It probably shouldn't be as bizarre as it was. But after a month of Dahyun pretty much partying and then lying in her bed, she wanted to meet Ms. Kang. Chaeyoung and Yeri were visiting Dahyun every day, but she had never mentioned that. So they were quite shocked when Dahyun's mom informed them about that.
"I am surprised as well. Dahyun had never agreed to any sort of therapy. I was close to giving up. But yesterday, she came back home and told me to set up a meeting with Ms. Kang." Yeri and Chaeyoung shared a confused look. 
"We will go and talk with her about that. Just to make sure she wasn't drunk and she remembers what she has said." Yeri gestured for Chaeyoung to follow her and they made their way to Dahyun's room. 
"We should tell Rosé. She might come back now." Chaeyoung started before they entered the room. Yeri had the same thought. But she knew that Rosé wouldn't give in unless Dahyun comes to her. Their pointless attempts at convincing Rosé to give in assured her in that. No matter how many times Chaeyoung and Yeri tried to talk with her, Rosé stood her ground. 
"Yeah. But she probably still won't give in. Dahyun has to talk with her." Chaeyoung nodded and then she knocked on the door to Dahyun's room. They heard Dahyun yell come in and they opened the door. Dahyun was dressed and was applying makeup. She didn't do that in the morning for the past month. She would only dress up and wear makeup to the club. So maybe Dahyun really tried to change.
"What's up with this?" Yeri jumped on Dahyun's bed. She tried to act casual about it. Chaeyoung got the memo and sat next to her. 
"I am getting ready for that therapy session. I am sure my mom told you." Dahyun turned around to face them. She didn't look incredibly annoyed. She was actually nervous. 
"Are you ready?" Chaeyoung's question made Dahyun sigh. She didn't know if she was ready. She swore she didn't need help just a month ago. And she still didn't want to admit it two days ago. But Rosé definitely made her think. She knew she was terrible. So she had finally accepted that yesterday. She wanted to see how that meeting would turn out and how it would make her feel. And maybe Rosé would come back. 
"I don't know. I just want to try. Mom told me that I can leave if I feel uncomfortable." She got up from the chair and sat in the middle of Chaeyoung and Yeri. 
"We can go with you." Yeri suggested. 
"It's fine. I can do it. We still have some time before I have to go. So we can do whatever. And I will call you guys after the session." She hoped that she would be able to talk. She didn't want to waste that opportunity. 

She was there on time. Probably because her mom dropped her off there. There was no one else in the corridor. One good thing. She walked further until she found the correct room. The door was closed and it made Dahyun hesitate. She wasn't sure whether she should knock. Or just wait for a few minutes. So she waited and observed the time on her phone. After five minutes, the door was still closed. So she tried to listen for any voices. She didn't hear any. And after a few seconds, she knocked. She didn't hear any response, instead, she heard footsteps. Ms. Kang opened the door and welcomed Dahyun with a smile.
"Hello, Dahyun. Please, come in." Dahyun's hello was barely audible, but Ms. Kang's expression made her believe that it was heard. She walked in and looked around the room. It was quite normal. Ms. Kang gestured for her to sit on the chair in front of a big window. Probably for the clients to enjoy the view while talking. Ms. Kang sat on the chair in front of Dahyun. A coffee table was between them. And Dahyun was still anxious.
"I am glad that you have decided to meet with me. You can tell me anything you want. And you don't have to tell me other things. Also, if you feel like it, you don't have to say anything. Is that alright with you?" Dahyun could only nod. She didn't know what to do with herself. She opted to stare out of the window into the trees. And she waited. 
"May I ask you about yourself? How old are you? What are you doing? About your family?" 
"Don't you already know all about it?" Dahyun's remark was a bit hostile but Ms. Kang didn't seem to mind. She actually only shook her head and was waiting with a pen in her hand and a notebook in her lap. So Dahyun started talking. She would say one thing and Ms. Kang would note it down and then ask about something else. She stopped feeling so anxious in the middle of the meeting. She started talking with more details and more confidently. She just felt more comfortable. Ms. Kang was very nice and didn't force Dahyun to elaborate on certain things. And she appreciated it a lot. But it seemed like she still had to talk about the thing she avoided.
"I heard that you are troubled. I need to know what it is so that I can help you deal with it." Dahyun was not saying anything after that. Was she supposed to mention everything? Or just the important bits. She had to say something, that was why she came there in the first place. So she started carefully.
"Five years ago there was an incident that affected my life. One of my ex-friends and two guys edit my photos onto ographic images. And posted it on the internet. So if the photos weren't enough, there were comments as well. Explicit comments. And I honestly, felt incredibly ashamed and hurt. I couldn't face anyone and distanced myself from anyone. Then I started to lash out on people and kinda embraced the title of a 'star'. That's probably a short summery." Ms. Kang didn't say anything inspirational or preachy. She just let her know that she understands. She told her that her situation and feelings are the things that shouldn't be just ignored. That she deserved to be listened to and helped. There was no 'you should do that'. She actually told her that she shouldn't be forced to know how to deal with everything on her own. That she would like to help if she would be allowed. And she asked Dahyun whether she actually wanted to continue the meetings. And she said yes. She still wasn't sure how that whole thing would turn out, but it wasn't so bad. Maybe she would be able to deal with the feelings that burdened her for years. And she would get her friend back.

It was obvious that Rosé didn't want to talk, but it didn't stop Chaeyoung from sitting next to her at the cafe. She really wanted to let Rosé know that Dahyun has finally decided to get help. And she hoped it would be enough.
"Why is it always you?" Rosé didn't even look up from her phone at Chaeyoung. But that wasn't anything new. 
"Yeri thinks that you won't change your mind and would be back when Dahyun will take help." Rosé finally glanced at Chaeyoung. But whether it was a good thing or a bad thing she was about to find out.
"She's right. So can you stop finding me every day for no reason?" Chaeyoung should've expected something like that. But at that time, she had a good reason to stay. She didn't have that opportunity for a whole month, so she would always try grasping at straws. Trying to say whatever that could work.
"Dahyun went to therapy. She is currently on her way to the place." Rosé was visibly shocked by the news. And it was sad, that she didn't expect her close friend to change so quickly. It was the information she was waiting for. But she wasn't sure what to do. She should probably talk with Dahyun first. Just randomly appearing as if nothing had happened wasn't the ideal plan. But would Dahyun talk with her? She had to try.
"That's great news."
"Then visit her. You can come back now. She was really down after your fight." Of course, she was. Rosé wasn't exactly joyful either. It was still hard to separate from her friend on a bad note. Even if she wanted well. 
"I need to talk with her first. Somewhere else than her home. You can tell her." Chaeyoung frowned at the request. It wasn't even about being told what to do. It just felt a bit weird for her to deliver a message. If Rosé could easily call or text Dahyun herself. And she was sure to point it out.
"Why don't you text her? You have her number." Rosé looked taken aback for some reason. Chaeyoung couldn't guess what was the reason though. She just hoped that the girl wouldn't snap at her.
"Excuse me? After the entire fight we had? It's too awkward to just text or call her. It's better if she is informed in person." Chaeyoung definitely didn't get any explanation. She understood that it was awkward, but that wasn't the reason for not communicating. If it was, so many people wouldn't speak a word to each other. 
"Excuse you. Especially after the fight that you two had, you should be the one to contact her. I don't wanna be some minion that obeys your command." Chaeyoung observed the rush of different expressions on Rosé's face. It was actually quite hilarious. But she kept her smile intact so she wouldn't create a scene.
"As if I wanted you to be my minion. You wouldn't even be able to bring me things from the upper shelves." Rosé watched Chaeyoung put her hand on her chest, looking very much offended by her words. Almost comical, but she kept a straight face.
"Now that's offensive. I am smart you know. I can use a chair." Chaeyoung scowled when Rosé put her hand over in exaggerated shock.
"I am so glad you actually know that. I can't imagine how hard your life would be without this knowledge." Chaeyoung reached out and pushed Rosé's shoulder lightly and it finally forced laughter out of her. It wasn't like Chaeyoung haven't witnessed Rosé laugh, she was just never the cause of it. Even if she was joking about her height. And after a few seconds, Chaeyoung started laughing as well. Simply because. And she definitely needed that laughter. As their laughs started dying out, the mood actually became serious again. 
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be offensive." But that was definitely the first time Chaeyoung had heard apology leave Rosé's mouth. It felt like a miracle just happened. Especially, that this girl seemed to hate her guts. "Why are you looking at me weirdly?"
"Sorry. I just can't believe it. You actually apologized." Rosé rolled her eyes and it seemed like she wasn't going to say anything for a moment.
"How are you?" Perhaps, Rosé was actually practicing her acting skills that day. Because no way Rosé was worried about her. But Rosé actually looked sincere. Which was even weirder. Nonetheless, Chaeyoung decided to answer.
"I mean, as good as I can be." For the past month, Chaeyoung didn't have time to dwell on her problems. She was trying to keep herself busy with Dahyun. So she didn't have to remember that her heart got broken for good. It didn't mean that she didn't feel horrible. She was living in a state of will she won't she and now she knew, that the answer is won't. 
"Right. You are allowed to feel like after this. The girl just crushed your heart. It's not some light thing. Don't neglect your feelings for Dahyun. If you don't feel like getting up, then don't. Call Yeri and Dahyun and ask them to hang out with you. I mean, if neither of them can, then I guess, you can call me too." This whole situation was odd. But it made Chaeyoung feel a bit better. She was scared of losing friends again, and she still has new friends by her side. Apparently, even the one that wasn't exactly her friend at first. And she wasn't ridiculed for her feelings. She always thought that her feelings were pathetic, but they all made sure that she wouldn't think that way. She needed someone that could listen to her and understand her. And she found those people again. Even if Rosé was a bit hostile at first. Chaeyoung appreciated the things she said. And she hoped those words would prove true.
"Then...do you mind talking about it?" In all honesty, Rosé thought that Chaeyoung would reject her suggestions. It felt nice actually when she proposed they talk now. She was wrong when she was hostile toward Chaeyoung. And she wanted to make it up to her.
"Sure. We can talk about anything you want."