Chapter 11

Blind Hatred

As it started nearing the night, they all gave up and met at Mina and Sana's apartment. When Jihyo saw Nayeon and Momo in front of the elevator, she only shook her head. They didn't say anything. Jihyo had truly realized how unfair she was. And Sana is taking the consequences for their mistakes. It was hard to accept. But they couldn't give in to guilt at that point. They had to remain focused and work together to find Sana. Sooner than later. When the three of them reached the door to the apartment, they hesitated for a moment. They had to go inside and tell Mina that they didn't find Sana. It was not something either of them wanted to do. How would Mina react? Jihyo knew Mina as a collected. But perhaps, she has never seen Mina face any incredible difficulty before. She stopped thinking though and opened the door for them. It was silent inside. As if Tzuyu and Mina weren't there at all. 
Nayeon led them further until they have reached the living room. That was when Tzuyu heard them and went to check on the situation. She had already known that they didn't find Sana as they informed her through a message. She, of course, told Mina. It surprisingly didn't get much reaction from her. As if Mina expected that they wouldn't find her. Which was just sad. 
"Do you guys want something?" She was sure neither of them drunk or ate anything throughout the whole day. Well, Mina and she didn't exactly eat anything either. 
"Yeah, I guess. Some tea sounds nice." Jihyo went into the kitchen after Tzuyu to help. And she also wanted to ask about how were they doing. She looked back at Nayeon and Momo and she received a thankful nod.
"I think Mina doesn't expect Mina to come back." Jihyo looked back at Tzuyu with concern. That sounded quite impossible to Jihyo. Sana always clung to Mina and would never want to willingly separate from her. But Jihyo forgot that she doesn't know them anymore. It's been 5 years after all. 
"That sounds wrong. But it's my fault." Tzuyu stopped staring at the kettle aimlessly and faced Jihyo. It seemed like they all had the same thought.
"It is not your fault. It's our fault." Jihyo couldn't argue with that even if she wanted. They were all at fault for Sana's condition. She always wanted to be like Mina but she failed miserably at that. 
"And how is Mina?" Tzuyu shrugged and crossed her arms over her chest. Jihyo didn't like that response.
"She didn't say much since Sana left. But she said that something similar happened after the fight we had had. Only that Sana didn't run away at that time." They truly had no idea what Sana and Mina went through after all of that. Jihyo assumed they would do great. And when she saw Sana in commercials and fashion magazines everything was confirmed. They had a perfect life. How could she had ever thought that way? 
"We are the worst. Sana was never the villain." Jihyo leaned on the counter and watched the steam leave the kettle. Tzuyu prepared the mugs and put the tea in them in complete silence. What else could she say? It was true. And she wanted to fix it. If she had known how. They didn't say anything else and did everything in silence. The living room was quiet as well. And the four girls remained silent and just slowly sipped on their tea. 
"I will find her tomorrow." The sudden voice scared every single one of them and Nayeon poured some tea on the couch. Mina walked in carefully and felt her way to sit on the couch as well. 
"Mina, I think you should stay here in case Sana comes back." Jihyo didn't mean to imply anything rude. But she wasn't sure if Mina should walk around the city in such a panicked state. And maybe Sana would actually come back.
"No. She won't come back. It took months for Sana to open up after the fight we had. She was locked in her room most of the time and didn't speak to us. I always tried to put the blame on her broken jaw. But she didn't even speak to us when she was able to. I have to find her." That sounded almost unbelievable. They did see Sana lying still on the floor with her face covered in blood. And it dawned on them that back at that moment, they didn't pay attention to that. But Sana had serious injuries and she was in a state like that. 
"I didn't leave the bedroom either." Mina heard Momo's voice right next to her and then felt the weight on her shoulder. "Can you tell us how was it?" They were rather shocked at Momo's plea. And Nayeon wasn't sure if it was a good idea. She didn't want Momo to be triggered. But maybe she already was. She couldn't stop the story though because Mina agreed.
"The first thing I did when you have all left the room was to check if Sana is still alive. I know Jeongyeon didn't want to... It was also hard for her mom. So we were all not doing great. Sana didn't look happy that she was still there. In the hospital, at her house, she was never looking at us, never communicating with us. But we were always trying. I kinda hoped then that someone would try to reach out." Mina stopped for a moment as if she had said something wrong. But they all knew it was not wrong at all. "I mean, we managed. When Sana finally opened the door and talked with us it started getting better. But she never wanted to talk about what happened. And I could tell that with each day she started feeling angry at all of you. She was falsely accused. Those guys told her it would be for a video about students. And she sent pictures of herself and Nayeon as well. She had never wanted that to happen. Then it was quite peaceful for a while until Sana had an accident. I actually thought she was dead for a while. That was what she meant by her words." Mina was contemplating telling them about the problems Sana had before all of that. She didn't want to reveal Sana's past without her knowledge but the situation seemed appropriate. " Sana's parents were divorcing at that time. That was the reason for her to be distant and act the way she did. She wasn't just using me and being a bad person. It was a hard time." It was hard for anyone to say anything. That whole situation made them realize how horrible they were. And they were ashamed. They have titled Sana as the bad person, but they were the bad people there. 
"We are the worst." Momo began and that made Mina and Nayeon immediately disagree. But Momo didn't want to listen. "I have left my best friends just like. When they needed me the most. And I didn't reach out once to them. I even moved out of the dorm, that I shared with Mina. I avoided them. That really made me believe that all those thoughts are right."
"No." Mina's tone was one that they have never heard before. Mina was always speaking softly. But her voice was completely serious. "Neither of you is a bad person. Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean it is all you are. I have never blamed any of you and I have never been angry at you. I think we should focus on what we have now. And work on it." They agreed. They had to focus on what was happening currently not stay in the past. They all talked more then. And did everything to reassure Momo she was not the worst and they all loved her. They were even able to sleep. More or less. Nayeon and Tzuyu fell asleep first on the floor. Jihyo didn't want to give in to her exhaustion but she did in the end. So she slept in the armchair, which probably wasn't as comfortable to sleep in. And Momo was lying pretty much on top of Mina. With her head on Mina's chest. Mina was slowly Momo's head and softly singing Momo's favorite Barbie song. And they both were praying in their mind for Sana to still be okay.

 

"You didn't have to go this far." Quite the interesting situation evolved once they were back at Chaeyoung's apartment. Dahyun was seemingly alright during the walk there, even if she didn't say anything. But as soon as they entered the apartment she lashed out at Rosé. She was frustrated that Rosé stopped her. And Rosé didn't just stay quiet. So Chaeyoung and Yeri were awkwardly sitting on the couch watching Dahyun and Rosé argue in the middle of the room.
" 'You didn't have to go this far'? Are you kidding me? Are you suddenly feeling sorry for that ?!" Dahyun could not comprehend how Rosé could say that. They were always talking about how bad Sana was. And when they had the chance to confront her, her dear friend decided to destroy it.
"No! I just think that she understood your point. You have said enough." Rosé tried to defend her decision. She obviously felt sorry for Sana. But she knew Dahyun would not be happy to hear that. 
"I don't care! I want to see Sana feel like I do! I am not happy just by seeing her look on the verge of tears! She was supposed to bawl her eyes out! This is Sana! She doesn't give a about us so why should we give a about her?!" Chaeyoung was getting worried. Dahyun didn't look like she was going to step down. And Rosé always looked intimidating but then there were daggers in her eyes. She glanced at Yeri and could see she was just as concerned. 
"That's the ing problem, Dahyun! Think about it for a moment! What would you get from making her break down in public?! Yes, I ing feel sorry for her. God forbid! You need to take yourself seriously! I am not going to be there for you every damn minute of our life. Just listen to yourself! Just look at yourself! You need help! Ms. Kang wants to help you with all your ed up mind! I am not going to stand here and watch you destroy yourself. I hope you will do what you need. Have fun feel miserable because you didn't see a girl bawl her eyes out. Because she ing feels just terrible as you do!" And that was when Rosé left the apartment. They were all stunned. Rosé had never acted that way. It was the most unexpected thing that day. And Chaeyoung felt like she should not let Rosé leave. So she tried to catch her. Yeri, on the other hand, walked up to Dahyun and embraced her tightly. So that Dahyun wouldn't cry alone.
Chaeyoung actually reached Rosé outside. Which she was grateful for. She was afraid the girl had run.
"Rosé! Wait, you can't leave!" Chaeyoung grabbed Rosé's arm and made her face her. Rosé only glared at her and yanked her arm away.
"Don't tell me what to do. Now she has you and Yeri. You should stay with her. And let her destroy her life even more. Good luck." Rosé tried to leave again but Chaeyoung grabbed her hand and stopped her again. She couldn't let Rosé leave.
"Dahyun needs you. You know her best. You can help her." They just stared at each other for a moment. And it gave Chaeyoung hope that Rosé would come back with her. 
"You are her best friend. She wanted nothing but to be with you. So go there and leave me alone. I was wrong about you, so don't try to turn it around again. Bye, Chaeyoung." It was quite hard to watch Rosé leave. Chaeyoung knew that it meant trouble. 
She came back to the apartment and saw Dahyun and Yeri standing hugged in the middle of the living room. Rosé was right, Chaeyoung knew that. But did she have to leave? Dahyun needed help. So Chaeyoung and Yeri had to convince Dahyun she should agree to the meetings with Ms. Kang. 
"She left?" Dahyun's voice was barely audible but they both heard it. They hoped that it would make a change in Dahyun.
"Yes. I am sorry." Dahyun pulled away from Yeri's embrace and moved toward the window. She stared out at the street and watched the people move in both ways. She had never thought that Rosé would leave. They had each other backs. Why would she do that? Dahyun knew why. But it was hard to accept. She didn't want to accept she needed help. She didn't want to be weak. She was though. 
"Great. I am going home." Chaeyoung and Yeri didn't stop her. They let her go. They knew that Dahyun needed to be alone. Not listen to them telling her what she should do. 
"Can you make Rosé change her mind?" Chaeyoung hoped that Yeri would give her an affirmative reply. They were friends after all. But that wasn't the case. 
"I don't think so. But I will try to talk with her. I don't want the friendship to end either." Chaeyoung was grateful for that. She probably had no power to convince Rosé. She didn't like her much after all. So she would try to take care of Dahyun. They should've been able to work that out. 
"Thank you. I don't want that either. Hopefully, it will end well."


Just as she decided, Mina went to look for Sana with the rest. They had split up again and Mina went with Momo, even with Nayeon's hesitation. She called Jisoo and the two of them looked together. Jihyo and Tzuyu were the last team and Tzuyu was quite surprised that Jihyo had called in sick. She didn't even know Jihyo could do that at her work. They all were determined to find Sana. If they didn't, the police probably would assume that Sana didn't want to be found and they should accept that. And Mina didn't want to worry Sana's mom either. So they had to find her. 
Momo was a little bewildered when Mina gave her an address. It seemed like she was quite sure where to look for Sana. And Momo hoped that Mina was right. So she looked up how to get there and led Mina through the streets. Momo felt a bit better. She still could only feel fear, guilt, and sadness but she was handling it. Mina definitely had a calming presence. Even though, she was a most likely feeling worse than Momo. 
She was even more shocked when they were nearing the destination and at the same time, they entered a neighborhood. Why would Sana hide in someone else's house? But Momo didn't ask. She just kept holding Mina's hand and leading. She had only said something when they found themselves in front of a house with the address Mina gave her.
"We are here. You think Sana is here?" Mina took a deep breath.
"I hope so." And gestured for Momo to knock on the door. Momo did as she was told and they waited. Momo wasn't sure who she expected to open the door, but she sure didn't expect a middle-aged man. 
"Mina." He gave a simple greeting. Momo was utterly confused. 
"Good morning. Could I speak with Sana?" Mina was definitely too nice. Momo thought, that Nayeon would demand to talk with her. Not ask nicely as if she wasn't expecting to get rejected. The man looked at Momo and she immediately lowered her head.
"And who's this?"
"Momo, our best friend. Please, that's all I ask for." The man thought for a few seconds and moved aside to let the two girls walk in. Momo nodded gratefully and helped Mina enter. 
"She's upstairs in the room on the far left. But she is most likely locked up. I don't know what had happened. But if she came to me, it must've been horrible." Mina wasn't sure if Sana's father was blaming her but it didn't matter to her. She just thanked him and waited for Momo to bring them up the stairs. 
"Who is that?" Momo only dared to ask once they were upstairs and in a whisper. 
"Sana's father. I actually wasn't sure if she would be here. I just thought that she might think being with her father is the most appropriate." Momo didn't exactly understand but she knew then that Sana's parents were divorced. And that made her think that Sana's father wasn't the dad of the year. Momo then knocked on the correct door. Obviously, they didn't get any response. 
"Sana. Please, could we talk? Once. And if you still want us to leave, we will." They both waited. Mina knew Sana and she believed that they would talk. But Momo was not expecting Sana to open the door. And apparently, Sana didn't expect to see Momo. 
"What are you doing here?" Momo hesitated a bit, mostly because Sana didn't look thrilled.
"Sana, thank you. I am going to tell you the truth. I won't keep anything from you." Mina began and didn't answer Sana's question. Sana didn't know what to do. But she couldn't say no to Mina. So she remained silent.
"I know that I have lied to you. I didn't act like a mature person. I was scared that you would just leave me one day and it's horrible. But I have never done anything with Chaeyoung. We were just friends. No matter what people say, you are a good person. You helped me go through my life. I was always pretending that I am fine with going blind but I was scared. You were the person that took away that fear and I was able to remain myself. You haven't done anything harmful. You have never hurt me." Mina squeezed Momo's hand lightly then. Momo didn't get it at first but then she figured out that she was supposed to say something.
"Sana, I am probably the worst friend ever. I left you and had never tried to come back. But you were the sweetest person ever. I mean, you brought me food and plushies. You are not bad. We all think that. We talked together yesterday and we all agreed that you were always caring and accepting. We were the ones that forgot that. I am very sorry. I can't express how much I regret it all." Momo didn't wipe the tears leaving her eyes and she just held Mina's hand tighter. Sana stood in front of them with an unreadable expression. And Mina's heart broke more and more with each second without Sana's answer. 
"I am sorry, Sana. We will leave." Mina barely forced those words out of . She had never wanted to control Sana and force her to stay. No matter how much it was breaking her. Momo and Mina were ready to step down the stairs when Sana stopped them.
"No. Please, don't leave." It was all they needed to turn back. Once they were close Sana threw her arms around Mina's shoulders. "I am so sorry, Mina. I didn't mean anything I have said. I don't think that I should've died. I am sorry." Mina only hugged back. She didn't want Sana to apologize but she knew it was something Sana had to do. So she accepted it. Momo put her arms around both of them and squeezed them as hard as she could. Which quite literally took their breaths away. But it was fine. That was something that they missed. Not the crying your eyes out part, but being able to hug each other again. With Momo there.

 

Once they called the other girls with good news the three of them headed back to the apartment. Sana thanked her father before she left. She went to him because she felt like she had turned into him. But the more she was thinking about it, the more she was regretting her words and just wanted to come back. She truly had the best person in the world by her side. And it turned out there were more good people around her. When they arrived at the apartment the rest has already been there and they all squeezed the life out of Sana. And it was quite a new feeling. She had never thought before that Nayeon, Momo, Jihyo, and Tzuyu would hug her so affectionately and apologize so much. That they would cry out of worry for her. It seemed surreal. But it was the best thing that Sana could've expected. She hoped that it wouldn't change. She apologized to all of them as well. And thanked them for being there. She finally felt like she had her friends back. They could finally laugh without any awkwardness. They could have natural conversations. They could spend several hours in one room and no one was getting annoyed. Sana felt happy. And she was sure they all did at that moment. She would have lied if she said that she wasn't scared it would end like last time. But she was ready to risk it. Well, it was quite alright, until Jihyo had mentioned a name that Sana had never wanted to hear again.
"So you just casually met up with her." Sana didn't mean to sound so angry. But Dahyun and what she said and done, had made her a little sensitive. So when she heard that Jihyo and Tzuyu were trying to be friends with Jeongyeon she wasn't happy.
"Sana, Jeongyeon was our friend. And she doesn't know that you are innocent. We could tell her-"
"I don't care. She can still believe that I have done it. I just don't want to see her ever again. Did you all forget how she nearly killed me?" Sana interrupted Jihyo and her words definitely had a big effect. They certainly didn't forget. But if they were all forgiving each other, why couldn't Jeongyeon and Sana? 
"We didn't forget. And I am not saying you should be friends with her. Just talk." And Sana heard the same words she always heard. So far, it was mostly terrible after Sana had listened to those words. She was ready not to listen for the first time.
"I am not risking my health just to talk with her."
"Jeongyeon won't hurt you. You won't be alone. We will all go." Mina tried to reassure Sana. She knew that Sana was very much afraid of Jeongyeon after the incident. And who could blame her? But she could see the benefit of that meeting. And Jeongyeon wouldn't try to do anything in public with all of them there. 
"If Jeongyeon tries something we will be there to stop her. We won't let her hurt you." Momo tried to speak confidently. But she wasn't really. Nonetheless, she meant her words. And she knew the rest agreed. Sana sighed defeated.
"Okay. But not now. I don't know, I need some time." They all understood and dropped the topic of Jeongyeon all together. Sana sure needed rest. And talking about that wasn't good for that. They resumed their normal conversation until they all became too exhausted to talk. Yet again, they all slept in the living room. But with one more person to make everything more peaceful. And it was peaceful until morning. When Nayeon and Jihyo made more noise than necessary during cooking. And Momo and Sana made too much chaos while preparing the table for breakfast. But Mina and Tzuyu didn't mind that for once. Because it meant it was alright for a moment.