noodles, a bonfire, and sweet sweet company.

In the bakery.

It took an hour before she arrived at the camp.

Camping during winter is best experienced in the fields, so she chose the nearby farm that was open to campers like her. After paying the fee, she picked a spot a few meters away from the others, not that it was crowded. There were barely any other people, save for a couple and an old man. 

The stress of exams and studying was getting to her, spending a few nights than she wanted to cram pages of information in her head. Nearing the end of their midterms, she plans a trip a few miles away from town, hoping to get a bit of a reprieve from the bustle and hustle of the city.

And it has been a while since she did this.

Hitomi dropped her backpack and took out her tent. After setting it up, she took out her other essentials; a foldable chair, a portable table, and a blanket. 

The sun was beginning to set. The cold breeze flew and she shivered, clutching her coat closer hoping that it eases the chill.

She looked at her spot and realized that she didn’t have any wood, nor does she have enough money to buy some from the owner. Hitomi sighed, resigning herself to a cold evening.

She placed her portable burner and pot on the table, together with a plastic bag filled with instant noodles and several other ingredients. Hitomi prepared to cook, boiling some water before putting the noodles in. She then put in a packet of stock and chopped vegetables she prepared beforehand. Using a spoon, she stirred the noodles. The smell of broth wafted in the air, enticing her appetite. However, she wasn’t the only one.

“That looks delicious.” 

Hitomi turned around, her eyes meeting with a red-haired woman. She almost fell down in shock. The woman held her wrist, preventing her fall.

“I’m sorry!” she apologized. “I’m Chaewon.” She held out her hand for a handshake. Hitomi took it and shook it briefly before returning to her meal.

Hitomi waited, wishing that the stranger would leave, but she didn’t. Chaewon stared at noodles longingly, almost drooling. 

“Do you want some?” she asked. Chaewon eyes sparkled, then changed to a guilty look.

“Is it fine? But I don’t have anything…” She snapped her fingers, remembering something. “Wait a minute, I have some wood if you’d like. Do you mind me setting camp beside you?” Hitomi paused, thinking. There wasn’t any harm in letting her. Plus, she doesn’t think that she can sleep in the cold. Might as well accept her offering. 

She nodded. Chaewon stood up and ran to the nearby tree, taking her luggage and woodpile in her arms with her. She started setting up a campfire after placing a tent a few feet away. Hitomi watched her in the corner of her eye as she poured half the noodles in a separate bowl, and cracked two eggs for each.

Once the fire was lit, the sun was already set, the light blue sky replaced with the stars and the moon. They each took a seat near the fire, a bowl of noodles in their hand, feeling a lot warmer.

Chaewon wasted no time devouring her meal. Hitomi stared at her in awe. When the other girl paused to look at the pair of eyes staring at her, Hitomi looked away. She focused on eating her noodles, cooling them down before slurping. She hummed in delight. Hitomi was glad she found that recipe on the internet.

“So, why go camping in the winter? Isn’t it too cold?” Chaewon asked. Her bowl was already empty. Was she that hungry? 

“I don’t know, why did you?” Hitomi bit her tongue at her reply. She shouldn’t have said that harshly. Chaewon simply laughed.

“Touche.” Chaewon picked up a stray stick and pushed the unburnt logs on the fire. “What’s your name? You didn’t tell me.”

“Hitomi,” she answered.

Chaewon hummed in acknowledgment. She didn’t say anything more, just stared at Hitomi as she ate. Hitomi started feeling shy, so she hurriedly finished her meal. She nearly chokes, coughing hard.

"Hey, slow down there." Chaewon rubs her back, trying to ease the pain. "There's no rush. We're here to relax after all."

That's right. Relax. She almost forgot why she was here. She'd like to blame it on this stranger— an incredibly stunning one at that— but she decides there's nothing wrong with a bit of company. As long as she wasn't noisy. 

"You know what would be good?" She holds her hands out as if it'd manifest what she was thinking of into thin air. Or maybe she was trying to convey the image; it surely wasn't helping. "Chicken and beer, maybe some ice cream too."

"Maybe if someone brought it," she teased. 

“Sorry about your noodles. I forgot to bring food so, yeah.” Chaewon rubbed her neck, apologetic. 

“It’s fine, Chaewon-sshi.” Hitomi reassured.

"It wasn't exactly a planned trip," Chaewon reveals. "I just saw this on my feed and felt like camping."

Hitomi was impressed. Such an impulsive decision isn't something she'd do. She'd rather be prepared when she does go somewhere, else she may regret it.

She still remembers the time she forgot to bring her flash drive to an important presentation. Thank God she had a backup on her phone.

"I wanted to take a break, relax for a bit," Hitomi says. "Being a med student wasn't the best choice."

"You're in nursing? I'm actually taking Pediatrics right now, soon to graduate from Yonsei University." she smugly informs. "Well, for pre-med at least." 

Hitomi looks at her, eyes wide and disbelief on her face. Chaewon notices this and takes a wild guess, hitting right on the mark.

"No way, you're from there too? What are the odds."

Indeed, what are the odds?

She imagines her checking up on kids' vitals, handing them a lollipop after commending them for being brave. She laughs at the mental image of her stealing a piece of candy herself from a jar.

"You'd get along great with kids," she remarks, "Considering you are one."

"Hey, I'll have you know that I'm a very mature person," she says. 

Hitomi rolls her eyes. As if.

"Okay then, whatever you say." 

Chaewon juts her lower lip, looking more childish by the minute. Hitomi ignores her in favor of basking in the heat of the campfire.

She faces her palms towards the fire, breathing out to see a small misty cloud. Silently thanking Chaewon for saving her from dying of hypothermia, she hands her an empty cup, pouring a piping hot drink of green tea from her jug. 

They spent all night together, looking up the stars, a sense of comfort enveloping them.

\\

Hitomi glances around to see the other campers starting to get into their tents. She looks at her watch and it's 11 PM. 

"We should probably get to bed."

Just in time, Chaewon yawns. She stretches her arms up high, her legs dangling over the grass and extended.

"Alright then, good night Hitomi!" 

She packs everything inside her bag, ready to end the day when a tap on her shoulder stops her. She turns around and Chaewon was there, twiddling her fingers.

“Do you camp regularly?” Hitomi nodded. Chaewon paused to think for a second, then spoke. “In exchange for your delicious noodles, why don’t I cook something for you next time?”

“Next time?”

“Next time you go camping.” Chaewon raised her hands. “If that’s cool with you.”

Hitomi looked at Chaewon, analyzing her intentions. She was looking back at her, an innocent smile on her face. Hitomi thought, Why not?

“Sure, next time.”

//

 

A/N: Just a self-indulgent Yuru Camp drabble.