In exchange...

In the bakery.

The world was in chaos. People everywhere started stocking up on everything they may or may not need. The threat of a pandemic made everyone irrational. Because of this, the two roommates were met with a nearly empty supermarket. Their eyes met with a man pushing a cart full of toilet paper. The said man looked away and pushed the cart faster.

“What kind of person needs that much toilet paper?” Chaewon muttered.

“This is why bidets are superior,” Yena said. “Anyways, you get the household supplies,” she pointed to Chaewon, “While I grab as much instant food as I can.” She ran out of the aisle and headed towards the canned goods section.

Chaewon sighed. The current situation was stressful for everyone, especially for these roommates. Their city was under quarantine so no one was allowed out. This meant they couldn’t mooch off their parents, plus her job at the local diner was put on hold due to nearly all businesses closing. But right now, Chaewon had a mission. 

She listed everything she needed in her head as she walked to the household items section. There wasn’t any dishwashing liquid, but she spotted a single bottle of room spray in the corner. Chaewon knew they didn’t really need it, but considering how they need to minimize any trips outside, she decided to buy it anyway.

She jogged towards the room spray. When she grabbed it, she felt another hand on the can. She looked up (or rather, down.) and her eyes met with another girl, probably younger than her. 

“Uhm,” her voice was quite nasally. “You can have it.” Her pronunciation was slow and wobbly. She probably isn’t from around here. Or might just be a shy person.

“Oh! It’s fine, you can have it.” 

“No, it’s okay.”

“Really, it’s yours.”

As the two kept insisting for the other to take the last can of room spray, Yena was searching for Chaewon, a cart of ramyeon, canned tuna, and other amenities to last them two weeks. She spotted the girl with another woman. She headed towards them, calling Chaewon. 

Chaewon heard her name so she turned around, noticing her roommate. Yena looked at Chaewon, then the room spray. She smiled at the two knowingly. The two were confused till they noticed how their hands were still holding the can. They let go immediately and looked away, pink lightly dusting their cheeks.

“Please take it.” Chaewon insisted.

“But…” The girl was clearly not going to give up. Chaewon considered just taking it but she couldn’t bear to accept it.

Yena looked at the two. An idea popped inside her head. “You could exchange numbers and get some coffee after this is over,” she suggested, “In exchange for the room spray.” 

“Yena!”

“Okay.”

“Huh?”

The girl held out her hand. Chaewon fumbled and took out her phone and gave it to her. The girl’s started typing. After a few seconds, she handed back the phone. She bowed lightly and took off.

Chaewon stood there, still in disbelief. She looked at the new contact on her list. Hitomi <3. 

“I did a good job, didn’t I?” Yena bragged. The other girl was still frozen. Yena sighed and decided to put the room spray in the cart, until a familiar man took it and placed it in his toilet paper filled cart. 

“Hey!”