Sleep

In the bakery.

Today was the first time Chaewon has gone to the convenience store at night.

There was something different about the ambience of the shop compared to the busy mornings. The students and workers rummaging the aisles for snacks and drinks are now resting within their homes, save for the lone worker awake to serve customers like herself.  However, today wasn’t the first time she was up at 2 AM. Not even the second. She lost count, her brain not functioning well enough. She looked at her basket to see that she had forgotten to pick up what she needed, her basket empty.

So that was why she was staring at the coffee and energy drinks.

She gave a small apology to the cashier, Yeri according to the nametag, and went to grab a few cans.

Back in highschool, she never needed to consume unholy amounts of caffeine, getting straight As by merely listening in class. College was a different story. The workload was miles away from what they used to do. Working at a local restaurant for her rent wasn’t helping either. Which reminds her, she probably needs to check her schedule; she had once fallen asleep in her apartment and missed a shift. If it wasn’t for Yena covering for her, she would’ve been fired.

While Yeri scanned her items, she took out her phone. There were a few messages from Eunbi and Minju, plus a missed call from Hitomi.

She called her a few minutes ago, so maybe that was why she felt something vibrating on her right thigh. Or maybe it was also her legs starting to feel weak. Was standing always this difficult? She sent a quick text, since a call this late at night meant it might’ve been important.

[Chaewon]
Why the call hitoma?

[Hitomi]
Where are you?

Chaewon was surprised that she answered quickly. It must’ve been an emergency.

[Chaewon]
Convenience store. What’s wrong? Are you okay?

[Hitomi]
Hurry back please. I’m at your apartment.

Why was she there? Chaewon paid for her purchase and thanked the cashier. A rush of adrenaline ran through her veins and she rushed towards her apartment. It was only a five minute walk but she felt like she ran a marathon when she arrived. In front of her door was Hitomi, her phone in hand as she paced around in her pajamas.

Hitomi noticed her presence and locked eyes with Chaewon. A beat of silence passed before she spoke. “Why are you here?” she asked. Hitomi didn’t answer.

They stared. Then she grabbed her wrist and brought her inside the apartment.

Chaewon realized that she forgot to lock the door which must have worried her. “I’m sorry I forgot-” 

She was cut off by Hitomi wrapping her arms around her, embracing her in a hug. Chaewon started to relax and returned the hug. “How long did you sleep yesterday?” she asked.

“Two hours,” she muttered.

“Let’s sleep, unnie.” Hitomi let go of the hug. “Get changed please. I’ll wait.”

After separating themselves, she got changed into more comfortable clothes. When she entered the bedroom, Hitomi was waiting, sitting on the edge of the bed. She patted the empty space and proceeded to lay down. Chaewon followed suit. 

“Come here.” Hitomi opened her arms, inviting her into a hug. Chaewon paused. Looked at her eyes, welcoming and warm. She suddenly felt the weight of the stress she suppressed. Her eyelids heavy, she wrapped her arms around Hitomi and snuggled into her, not a care in the world.

“Goodnight, Tomi.” Her eyes shut, she started drifting off to sleep.