Break

In the bakery.

When Chaewon went to sleep yesterday, she was ready to spend tomorrow watching dramas and relaxing all day. 

But of course, things don’t always go as planned.

Here she is at the studio, humming a certain melody over and over. Chaewon took note of it when it came up to her in the middle of the night, but right now she has no idea how to work it into a full track. 

She pulls up her music production software of choice, adding a few percussion beats for a simple bass line. Trying out a few different synths, she hopes she can get a feel for what she wants. It still doesn’t feel right. She lets out a sigh, grabbing a piece of paper and pen.

This time, she tries writing lyrics, hoping that it’ll help at least. However, she could only come up with a few lines. She considers looking at her notebook for some inspiration or lyrics she could pull out and try to fit in, but of course, she’d forget to bring it in a hurry.

She leans her head back, letting out a groan. 

This isn’t working. Maybe she should just go home.

But it was too late, considering she canceled all her plans to go to her studio. She thought she finally had a of genius when she woke up with that melody. She swears she had everything worked out in her head during her trip to the subway. But in the end, it was nothing more than an impulsive decision and a waste of a day off.

Her fingers tapping on the desk impatiently, she briefly considers working on it another time, and focus on finishing up her other works in progress. But she also thinks it’s a shame if she spends her weekend doing work. Man, she really should’ve stayed home instead.

She doesn’t notice the door open and she continues grumbling under her breath.

Chaewon stands up, deciding to get a drink to clear her mind when she almost collides with someone, mere centimeters away from her. Only processing the blonde hair, she steps back and she recognizes who it was.

“Hitoma!” 

Chaewon gives her a hug, breathing in the scent of her shampoo, before letting go. She keeps her hands on her shoulder, wanting to remain in contact despite the layer of clothing separating them. 

“I thought you had the day off?” 

“Well, I felt like working today,” she lied. Hitomi doesn’t need to know about her dumb decision. 

“Eunbi-unnie was crying in the group chat,” Hitomi remarks, amused. Of course the eldest in their friend group would complain to everyone. She’ll think about how to make up for her later.

“Don’t you have classes?” She leads Hitomi to the couch, not letting the girl stand for too long. Chaewon takes a seat beside her, leaving her work behind. 

“They were canceled,” Hitomi answers. She takes out a plastic bag she’s been hiding and holds it up. “So I grabbed some food for you, you haven’t eaten right?” Chaewon looks at her phone; it says 2 PM— she’s been at this for quite a while. The packaged meal Hitomi was waving around is very tempting. Chaewon can smell the pork cutlet from her seat, unconsciously leaning forward. She doesn’t think she can hold back anymore.

“Thank you for the food!” she says, putting her hands together. Hitomi hands her chopsticks, and immediately she chowed down on her food. Hitomi follows suit, taking a clean bite from her cutlet. They ate in silence, content in enjoying their meal. Halfway done eating, Hitomi speaks.

“So, why are you here?” Hitomi asks.

“I wanted to work on a new song, but it’s not going well right now,” she sighs. “By the way, how are the others?” 

“Chaeyeon-unnie is always over at our place, it’s pretty fun watching Kkura-unnie.” Hitomi giggles. Chaewon could only imagine; the Japanese woman isn’t exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to romance, flustering Chaeyeon unknowingly just by breathing.  

“They really need to get together soon— this is delicious! Is this from that place nearby?” she asks in the middle of chewing. 

“It is,” she confirms. “By the way, the doorknob broke again.” They’ve been trying to fix the lock of their bathroom door this past week, mostly through youtube tutorials. But of course their flimsy work will fail. They really need to get it fixed, by a professional this time. 

“It’s not like we need the lock anyway—” Chaewon yelps, her arm burning from Hitomi smacking it. She rubs it, faking a cry. Hitomi just rolls her eyes. 

Another comfortable silence settles between them. When they finally finish eating, they cleaned up. Hitomi tells her that she has to leave, and they say their goodbyes.

“Thank you for bringing me food, really.” Chaewon smiles, giving her one last hug before she leaves. “Stay safe okay?” Hitomi hums.

“You can do it,” Hitomi says. “If it’s you, I know you’ll finish it.”  Hitomi leans forward, giving her a quick peck on the cheek. 

“Get home early okay?” 

Hitomi raised both her fists, cheering her on.  

She leaves the studio, and Chaewon feels more energized. 

Chaewon glances at the guitar gathering dust in the corner of the room. She settles it on her lap and gives it a strum, a dissonant sound reverberating around the room; looks like she’ll need to tune it. She thinks about Hitomi waiting for her at home, a homecooked meal ready, and she can’t help but grin.

Looks like it’s time to get back to work.