chapter 10

after all these years

People say the third time is a charm. Let's see if this also applies to Yuri and Jessica. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 years later

 Y’s POV

Sooyoung is getting married. I never understand why Sooyoung waited this long to finally decided to get married since she and her boyfriend have been dating for God knows how long.  Here I am, on the way to her bachelorette party and driving my car with Yoona. Sooyoung has booked a big private rooms in a club and invited lots of her female friends. I was actually nervous. Because I knew I will meet her again tonight. Yes, Sooyoung invited Jessica to come to her bachelorette party.

Since we met and had that big fight 3 years ago, we stopped all the communication. I had conflicting thoughts so many times whether I should contact her again or not. Because, it just bothered me that we just ended things like that, not really in a good term. I don’t know if this means I just can’t let go and try to find excuses for myself to see her again, or maybe because I still can’t accept the fact that there is zero hope for us. At the end of our fight, I knew I still feel her love, but maybe my delusional thought was the reason that keeping me from moving on. I don’t want to complicate things, but do we really a closure? Am I brave enough to make the closure? Or do I dare to just say what I feel?

I tried to live my life and days as usual. Of course, I dated here and there but no one really captured my heart. Oh, and the girl who was calling me during my fight with Sica, she chose to backed away because she told me that she can’t deal with someone who has till emotional baggage. Oh well..I can’t blame her. On the other hand, I saw Sica is still going strong with him. There were times I almost got heart attack when I read false news that they were getting married. But oh well, it will happen eventually anyway so I better prepare from now.  

“Nervous?”, Yoona teased. She was one of my members that knew about what happened between Sica and me.

I tighten my grip on the wheel. “Nope. Why would I?”, I lied, trying to act cool.

She just laughed. “Don’t play dumb Yuri unnie. You know she is coming tonight.”

I just sighed. “We… well..We’ll be okay..or whatever. But, it’s.. well, I am not nervous!”, I could not seem to find a good answer.

Yoona let out her alligator laugh again. “But, seriously. Don’t get mad at me but I really wanted to ask you this for a long time. Why…why don’t you ask her to get back together with you? I mean, clearly you guys still love each other. Why would you torture yourself?”

I just stayed silent for a moment. Yoona sensed my hesitation to answer. “I am sorry. If you don’t want to talk about it…”

“Its complicated, Yoong.”, I finally answered.

“You make it complicated. Both of you make it that way.”, she was not ready to lose the argument.

“Because it is complicated. With our situation now, our status as a public figure, our company. I remember how hard it was for us back then and it was hurting us again and again. I didn’t want to let go of her after we slept together, then again after our fight that night, but.. something was stopping me. Maybe I was scared, I don’t know. And in case you forget, she has a boyfriend. Its just complicated. Unless of course she leave her boyfriend, but I doubt it.. yeah, too complicated. ”, I said and looked at her, then stopping the car at the red light.

“Okay, fine. I get it. You mentioned the word complicated like hundred times.”, she finally let out a defeated sighed. “Do you still love her?”

There. The million dollar question.

I laughed bitterly. “Have I never?”

“Unnie, I don’t know whether I should told you how dumb you are or whether I should admire you for loving someone that much. I just hope Jessica unnie realizes what she was missing. ” She smiled and held my hand.

 

J’s POV

Sooyoung was getting married. I am so happy for her, I really do. But envy at the same time as I wish my love life could be as smooth as hers. She invited me to celebrate her bachelorette party tonight, which means lots of food, which means lots of booze, which means lots of celebrity, and it means one person, Yuri. But, it is Sooyoung who will get married. I can’t be selfish and not attending her bachelorette party just because I was scared to meet Yuri. At one point, I was excited because I will meet her again, but on the other hand, I was also terrified thinking what bad thing that could have happened tonight.

I sat on my bed and looking at my cupboard, trying to find any dress or any clothes that suitable for the party. Soojung was helping me find a nice clothes and we practically unload my cupboard and took almost my clothes outside.

“Nervous?”, she suddenly asked.

I shook my head. “I am okay.”

Soojung grinned. “Come on, Unnie!” , she said in English. “Don’t lie to me. Its written on your face. Don’t worry, we will make you look extra pretty tonight.”

 “What? I don’t even… I am not…whatever..” I finally let out a defeated sighed and lay in bed.

“Totally understand if you nervous, Unnie. “ she chuckled. “You think you will get lucky tonight?”, she winked at me.

“YAH!” I shouted at her and smacked her head.

“Hahahaha..”, she laughed. “But I don’t get it. Why you guys don’t just get back together. I mean, I can see how miserable you were when you were.. seperated. And no matter how hard I tried to convince you that Oppa is a really good man, and you will be happy if you are married to him.., still…hhh, you are just so stubborn.”, she casually said it while choosing one particular dress to wear. I actually felt a jab right to my heart when I heard what she was saying.

It is my heart that is stubborn. Not my head.

“Its not that easy, Soojung. Plus, about what happened between us after we broke up, it was stupid and it was over. It was over for a long time actually.”

“Is it really over?”, she asked. I thought after the fight 3 years ago, finally I got the closure with her, that it was the end of everything. But…., why it does not feel like it was a closure? That fight left a big scar for both of us but also left us hanging. I felt like there still be a soft spot for us to amend our relationship, but then again, why do I bother to amend the relationship when actually we didn’t have any relationship to begin with. Logically, this is so much easier as we just forgive and forget. But realistically, I didn’t find this is easier. It’s like we running in circles. Eventhough she left after our terrible fight, but I felt like she didn’t let go. Maybe that is the reason that I didn’t let go. But we kept running away and didn’t have the courage to acknowledge our feeling, to face each other and telling the truth. But, isn’t it all too late to do anything right now?

“The relationship or between me and her?”, I asked. I didn’t even know why I asked that to her.

“What is that even mean? Isn’t it the same?, she looked at me in confuse face. “Ow.. Don’t tell me you’re still…”, she didn’t finish her sentence.  

I tilted my head and smiled weakly. “Always”.

“Unnie..”, she sat beside me and my hair. “I just want you to be happy. If you meet her tonight, do what you think its right for you, okay?”, then she hugged me.  

Y’s POV

We really are a nation girl group, judging from how many celebrities that had come to Sooyoung’s party. The club is quite huge and we had our own private table on the 2nd floor. The food and the booze were already served on the table. It was packed, loud but really fun. I met some of my… flings.. Of course some of them were already attached, or even got married. And those who are still single.. well, they were trying their luck with me again, hoping that we can maybe have some ‘fun’ tonight. Yes, I danced around and I chatted happily with lots of people, but I made sure of myself I won’t get drunk, not when she comes. I do not want to see her in my drunken state and immediately acting stupid in front of her.

Sooyoung was really pretty tonight. I mean, she always pretty anyway. I was always admire her slim figure and her long legs. We put an attribute of ‘bride to be’ and crown her head with fake tiara tonight. I can’t help but smile when I looked at how happy she is, knowing that she will be someone’s wife soon. I drank my beer when suddenly Tiffany plopped herself on the couch beside me.

“Hey Yul! Nervous?”, she asked while beaming her eye-smile.

I scoffed. “Why must everybody ask me that question?”, I protested.

“Well.. you know..”, she grinned and laughed.

“Its not about her tonight. Its Sooyoung’s night.”, I cut her off before she can teased me further.

“Who’s her?”, she acted dumb.

I just rolled my eyes and she laughed again. “I cant wait to meet her though. I miss Jessi.”, she said again.

You’re not the only one who misses the Ice Princess.

I don’t want Tiffany to interrogate me any longer so I excuse myself and went to the bar. I saw Hayoung, one of a girlgroup member who used to be my ‘something’, walking towards me and smile widely.

“Yuri Unnie!!”, she shouted and hugged me tight. I looked at her in disbelief. This girl…, she grew up really well and transformed into a pretty matured woman. I mean, yes my heart maybe can only love one person but it does not mean my eyes can’t enjoy the sight of a pretty girl. 

“Hi Hayoung. My God, long time no see.”, I hugged her back. “I see you’re getting… prettier?”

“Unnie…”, she blushed. She then took a sit beside me at the bar. “What are you doing here alone? Don’t you want to dance? Or be with your members?”

“Its just too crowded there. I just want to relax a little bit here. Getting some fresh air.”, I said.

“Mind a company?”, she winked at me and drink the wine that served to her by the bartender.

“If the company is someone as pretty as you, don’t mind at all.”, who would not flirt back if someone as beautiful as her wink at you.

We chatted a little while but when I pinched her cheek due to her cuteness, suddenly I felt that someone else, not so far away from my seat is staring at me. I looked away from Hayoung and there, I saw her. The only girl who could always makes my heart skipped a bit.

Jessica is here.

She stood there not that far from me. I froze. Nothing else matters, all the crowd (even Hayoung) seems to vanish, I just see her.

But instead of a smiley face, I found her looked at me with a disbelief look, with her jaw clenched. I just realized the view she was seeing now,  Hayoung was sitting very close next to me, with one of hand settled on my left thigh. And I was just… I was just pinched her cheek few second ago. Before I can even say hi, she turned and run away from my sight into the crowd.

“Sica! Wait!”, I panicked and shouted to her. I stood up from my chair abruptly and ready to chase her.

“Where are you going, Unnie?”, I heard Hayoung asked and held my wrist.

“I am sorry Hayoung.. I have to..I am just.. I am sorry.”, I didn’t care anymore how to explain it to Hayoung and release my hand from her grip. All I know that I need to see Jessica, I need to find her now. When I saw her face just now, I have decided which path I wanted to choose. I have nothing to lose anyway.    

 

J’s POV

Immediately when I arrived at the club, I hugged each of them, my girls, oh how much I miss this. It feels like a zillion years ago. Slowly the memories came in my head, the dorm life, Girls’ Generation era, living and fighting with these 8 girls. I hugged Sooyoung so tight as she was about to get married. I congratulate her and jokingly asked her to make me her bridesmaid. I pouted when she said her sister will have the honor to do so.

“Where is Yuri?”, I asked Tiffany when I realized that she was not here to greet me.  

 “I think she went to the bar.”, said Tiffany. “Why Jessi? You miss her that much, huh?” she teased me in English and laughed.

I slapped her arm playfully. “Shut up.”, I replied her in same language. But I felt my face got red because what she said before was true.

I dragged my feet to the bar to look for Yuri. I know it was a stupid move, because, why would I have to look for her now? But again, I can’t seem to fight my urge to back down. I want to see her, I need to see her. It's now or never. 

Then I found her. Sitting at the bar with.. Hayoung if I am not mistaken. I know Hayoung and Yuri had ‘something’ before, they never reached the relationship stage but I knew they were fooling around after we broke up. Hayoung was Yuri’s biggest fan and always fond of Yuri. Sunny and Tiffany told me that she used Hayoung as her ‘comfort’ because she was desperately wanted to forget about me. That is why Yuri never took their fling to the relationship level.

I frowned when I catch the unpleasant view in front of me. I saw her giggling happily with her, pinching her cheek while Hayoung put one of her hand on Yuri’s thigh. They looked so close, so happy, so perfect to each other. And I hate that, I hate the view in front of me. I hate to see there is another girl who can make her smile like that because I always thought only me who can have that effect on her. 

Oh God, she moved on already.

When her eyes landed to my eyes, I quickly turned around and run through the crowd. I heard her voice calling me but I just ignore it. I just kept walking but I don’t know where to go. I need to go away from her, go away from what I saw. I thought hearing a girl she dated on the phone 3 years ago was bad already, but apparently seeing it in front me was the worst.  The image of her and Hayoung made a weird sensation on the stomach, on my chest. Maybe it was jealousy, maybe it was anger.  This is weird, i was not supposed to act like this. I was not supposed to runaway. This is exactly what i was afraid of if i see her again, acting like crazy ex-girlfriend who are still got jealous after years apart. I knew this is unlogical at all. Why am I still doing this? 

I felt like I want to go home but I didn’t want to disappoint Sooyoung. I searched for the toilet as I felt that my tears will coming down soon. Before I even reach the toilet suddenly I bumped into a tiny person which none other than Taeyeon.

“Sica? Where are you going in a rush like that?”, she stopped me and grabbed my wrist.

“I was just going to the toilet.”, I didn’t dare to looked at her as I can feel that my tears almost falling.

“Are you crying?”, Taeyeon looked confuse when she saw tears rolling down from my eyes.

“No.. I…”, I didn’t know what to say. I just let go my hands of hers and wiped my tears away.

“I thought you were looking for Yuri. Fany told me…- “

“YES I DID!!”, I didn’t know what got into me but I cut her sentence and screamed at Taeyeon’s face. “I did and I was greeted by a view of Yuri enjoying her time with that Hayoung!!!”

Taeyeon raised her hand like giving a surrender gesture. “Okay okay, calm down. Don’t scream at me because I know nothing.”

I just realized that I let out my frustration to this innocent kid. “I.. I am sorry Taeyeon.”, I muttered to her, feeling embarrassed.

She shook her head and smiled. It is been a long time since I saw Taeyeon smiles with all sincerity in her eyes. “Its okay. Let’s just get you a drink to calm you down, okay.”, she said calmly.

“There you are.”, before Taeyeon can dragged me, I heard a familiar voice and the figure of a tanned woman appeared beside me and settled her grip on my wrist.

I immediately detached my hand off hers. “Let go of me”, I was ready to walked away again but Yuri didn’t give up and hold me tight from behind.

“Sica.., please.. can we talk? Listen to me first, okay.”, I struggled and tried to let go of myself. But she was physically stronger than me and kept holding me tightly said please over and over again. I hate the fact that my body reacted so easily when it comes to her as I soon melted in her embrace when I heard her plea.   

“Uh.. I guess I’ll leave you both to solve whatever problem you guys have.”, I heard Taeyeon chuckled bitterly and walked away to give us a space.