chapter 1

after all these years

2018

Y’s POV

Finally I can relax after I finished my photoshoot in Barcelona. Europe is nice, that is why I am planning to go around a little bit, maybe go to France and just enjoying some time alone there. Consider that as a short holiday for me. I took a train and arrived in Cannes, France. I prefer spending my time in a more sub-urban place rather than go to a big city like Paris instead. So here I am, having a baguette and wine in one of the nice café near the beach. The weather is so nice, the food is great, and the view is breathtaking. I sat outside as I wanted to enjoy the view, looking at people eating happily, chatting, taking pictures and kids running around at the bay. A smile formed in my lips even without I am realizing it. It feels so relaxing.

I was about to take pictures when suddenly I saw a familiar figure who stood not that far from me, busily taking pictures with her friends.

Is that….?

I squinted my eyes to check whether that person is the person I thought she was.

No way, it cant be.

That person suddenly turned her body and linked her arm to her friend’s and walked towards the café I was sitting at. I wanted to look away and pretended to be busy (although i would look like an idiot as there is no reason for me to be busy at this state) but it seems my eyes did not want to do it as my head ordered. Suddenly, our eyes met.

It was really her. .

I begin to panic. I feel like I wanted to run away. But that would be the most stupid thing to do if I suddenly runaway from my seat. What kind of customer am I if I just leave the cafe without paying, only because I met someone that I… love? Loved? I saw her stop walking suddenly and she looked at me in shock. I knew she also does not know what to do. I saw her friends asked her what’s wrong and she just stood there. I can see her hesitation, whether to turn around and walk away or keep walking to my direction. Then…, I decided to smile. It seems she took my smile as a sign, then I saw she moved her feet and walked again towards me.

Oh God. What should I Do?

She is now stood in front of me. I stood up immediately to greet here but I just froze.

“Yul?”, she asked and smiled.

“A..ah.. hey..Sica,” finally I answered awkwardly.

“Uh…long time no see. How are you?”, she asked again.

She was still beautiful. As always.

I scratch my head eventhough it is not itchy. “Yeah.. I.., uhm.. I am fine. I had photoshoot in Barcelona. Then I came here to have a short holiday.”, I didn’t know why I had to explain about why I was here because she did not ask me at all.

She nodded and smiled. “Oh sorry…”, she let go her linked arms on her friends. “This is Yuri.. My.. uh.. from Girl’s Generation.”, she awkwardly introduced me to her friends.  Her friends looked at me in excitement and told me that they are a big fan, etc.

“What are you doing here in France?”, I found myself a little bit relaxed now after my little chat with her friends. Actually I knew she was here to attend a film festival, but I just play dumb.

“Attend an event. Like, a film festival thingy”, she quickly answered me.

“Ah..yes. I saw that.. “, I suddenly realized what I had just said and quickly tried to make a damage control. “I mean.. the cannes festival right? I saw the advertisement everywhere here.”

Come on! You don’t want her to know that you are stalking her right?

She lightly nodded. “Uhm… ok then.. I guess I’ll get going..It is nice seei…”, she smiled and about to walk away.

“Do you want to have dinner tonight?”, I don’t know where it came from but I just blurted out suddenly.

What the hell, Yul?

She looked at me in shock expression. “Uh… I mean, if you have time of course.”, I quickly added and lower my head out of embarrassment.

She kept silent for a moment. Maybe she was trying to decide whether to accept my invitation or not in her head.

“Sure”, she finally said and smiled. “Just text me the place and time. You still have my number right?”

“Uh..Yeah I still keep your number. I will text you.”, I said. When she was about to walk away, I wanted to say goodbye and touch her shoulder, or kiss her cheek. But I just don’t know how to do it. I just wave my hand like a robot. It was really awkward.

J’s POV

I met Yuri”, I texted Soojung right after I said goodbye to Yuri. Gosh, I really cant believe that I met her. It was surreal. Why on earth, from all of million people in this world, she was the one that I met here in Cannes?  She was so cute, still y, still beautiful and handsome at the same time, still… makes my heart beat faster, after all this time.

Damn it! Let it go Jess!

I finally sat in one of the bar with my friends and ordered a glass of white wine to relax my mind. Suddenly my phone ringing and it was Soojung. Oh she doesn’t even bother to respond my text and calls me immediately. I am sure she knew that I am at the panic state right now.

Unnie? Really? You met Yuri unnie? Where? When? How? And How was she?”, Soojung bombarded me with her endless questions.

Soojung! Stop asking me lots of questions.” I sighed. She just giggled and wait for me to explain everything. I really wanted to share with her but I didn’t know where to start.

Are you okay?, she asked.

 “I don’t know”, I said. I really don’t know how I feel right now. Everything is just so sudden and I cant gather my thoughts properly.

She asked me to have dinner with her tonight.”, I blurted out. I heard Soojung gasped.

Really? What did you say?”

I kind of hesitate to answer it truthfully or not. “I said yes.”, I finally answered in a low voice. I sighed again. “Do you think it’s a bad idea? Should I just cancel?

“Only you who know the answer, Unnie. Just… be careful.”

“What do you mean be careful?”

“Well…”, Soojung was silent for a moment. I know she really wanted to cater her next words carefully. “You know you both have history. A really deep and complicated one. I know you probably miss her…”

“It will be just a friendly dinner.”, I cut her out. I told that in my mind as well like a mantra, brainwashing and convincing myself that our dinner will be a dinner between old friends, nothing more.

Soojung kept quiet. Then she sighed and finally spoke again. “Ok, if you say so. Then, go have fun at your dinner. If anything, just call me ok?

We then ended the call. I sighed again and leaned on my sit, took a sip of my wine. The whole afternoon, my mind just wandering around and I just could not keep up with the conversations with my friends. It was her on my mind, that whole afternoon.