chapter one.

everything has changed | na jaemin

I wake up to the sound of my brothers screaming at each other through the rose pink walls that make up my room. I reach over to my nightstand to grab my phone and in the process, I check my alarm clock and it reads “8:50 AM”.

“God damn. Why are these boys yelling this early in the morning?” I get up out of bed and I quickly throw on my robe as I hear a loud crash from their room. I rush into their room to see Junsu’s head bleeding. “What the hell did you do to him Junseo??” I rush over to Junsu’s side and grabs the closest piece of clothing and applies a big of pressure to his head with Junseo’s light blue shirt.

“Yah! That’s my shirt!” Junseo tries to grab the shirt out of my hand but I use my elbow to push him away. Junseo falls onto his on the floor.

“You are the one who hurt your brother! The least you can do is let me use your shirt. Get me my phone please!” I look him in the eyes and see tears starting to form. “I am sorry for raising my voice at you and for pushing you. Please, just go get my phone.” Junseo gets up and quickly goes to my room and returns with my phone. I grab my phone from him and quickly dials 911. “Yes. Hi. My little brothers were roughhousing and one of them tripped over a toy in their room and he is now bleeding nonstop and I need an ambulance here quickly. He has lost a lot of blood already.” The lady says that the ambulance will be at the house in 5 minutes, that’s enough time for me to get Junyoung ready.

“Is he going to be okay? I didn’t mean to hurt him.” Junseo sits down next to his brother and holds his hand tightly.

“I believe so, can you hold this shirt on his head? Make sure you apply pressure. I need to go wake up Junyoung and get him ready.” Junseo grabs the shirt and I get up and go back to my room.

I walk over to Junyoung’s crib and I start to rub his back gently. He starts to wake up and his eyes start to scan the room. I pick up Junyoung and I walk over to my dresser and I take out a new diaper, a white onesie, blue sweatpants, and a grey sweatshirt for him. I lay him down on my bed and I start to change his diaper.

I finish getting Junyoung ready and I quickly tidy myself up. I hear the ambulance pull into our driveway and I walk into the boys’ room with Junyoung in my arms.

“Ok boys. Let’s go downstairs. Junsu, you are going to go into the ambulance. Me, Junseo, and Junyoung will follow behind.” I take the shirt from Junseo and I place it back on Junsu’s head as we walk out of the house.

The medics take out the stretcher and helps Junsu get onto it and straps him in. Junsu looks at me with fear in his eyes.

“I love you bubba.” I blow him a kiss as tears fill my eyes.

“I love you too sissy. Please don’t cry. I’ll be okay. I promise” Junsu smiles at me. I can’t help but start crying.

“I can’t hold it bubs.” They start to load him into the ambulance. I walk over to my car with Junyoung and Junseo as they close the doors and start to drive away.

I open the back car door and I start to strap Junyoung into his carrier. I close the door and walk to the other side to check if Junseo strapped himself into his car seat properly. I close the door after I checked on him and I sit down in the driver’s seat. I start the car and I drive off to the hospital.

We arrive to the hospital and I get Junyoung out of his carrier and I help Junseo out of his car seat. I grab Junseo’s hand as we cross the street and enter the hospital. We walk up to the front desk.

“Has an ambulance come yet with a boy named Junsu in it?” I ask the lady who is sitting at the front desk.

“Let me check,” She starts typing into the computer. “Yes. Room 205, upstairs to the left.”

“Thank you!” I pick up Junseo and I speed walk up the stairs and down the hall to Junsu’s room. I walk into the room to see Junsu looking out the window. He looks over this way as he hears the door open.

“Sissy! Hi!” He gets really happy to see us here. I set Junseo down and he runs over to his brother’s bedside.

“Hey bubba. How are you feeling?” I walk over and stand beside Junseo.

“I’m fine! They made my ouchie not hurt anymore!” He points to his bandaged head.

“That’s good sweetheart. I am going to find a nurse. Junseo, please behave in here.” I walk out of the room, still holding Junyoung, and I find the closest nurse. “Hi. Are you Junsu’s nurse? If not, do you know where I can find them?”

“I am Junsu’s nurse. Is something wrong?” She turns around with a clipboard and writes something down on it.

“No, nothing is wrong. I just wanted to know when I will be able to take him home. I have school tomorrow, and I need to know if I need to take him to daycare.” I switch Junyoung to my left side as my right arm is getting tired.

“You can take him home as soon as you complete the following paperwork.” She hands me a packet of paperwork, a clipboard, and a pen. “If you have any questions, feel free to flag me down.”

“Alright, thank you!” I walk into the room and see Junseo and Junsu sleeping on the bed, cuddling with each other. I walk over to the table as quietly as possible and sit down. I place Junyoung on my lap and I start to fill out the paperwork.

20 minutes later, I have finished all of the paperwork and I walk out of the room, running into the nurse.

“Oh, I was just coming to look for you. I have finished all of the paperwork for Junsu’s release.” I had her the paperwork.

“Oh, thank you. I was just coming to check in on Junsu.” She walks into the room and stands at the bedside. “Junsu, I’m sorry to wake you up, but I need to check up on you.” Junsu opens his eyes slowly and looks around and then focuses on the nurse.

“Ok. When can I go home with sissy?” Junseo wakes up and stretches. He gets up and walks over to me and hugs my leg.

“You can go home after this check up, alright sweetie?” The nurse starts examining Junsu and says that he is all clear to go home. The nurse leaves and comes back with a change of clothes for Junsu to change into.

“Thank you miss! You were so kind to me and you treated me well! I hope to see you soon outside of the hospital!” Junsu smiles at her and she smiles back at him.

“I hope to see you soon too cutie.” She ruffles his hair and walks out of the room.

Junsu gets up and changes into the change of clothes after the nurse exits the room.

“I’m tired sissy.” Junseo rubs his eyes as he yawns. I pick him up and Junsu walks over to us.

“We’ll be home in 10 minutes, ok honey?” I kiss Junseo’s cheek and we walk out of the room and out to the car.

I set Junseo down in his car seat carefully since he is asleep and I set Junyoung into his car seat, carefully strapping him in as he is soundly asleep. After I finish strapping him in, I go back to Junseo and I strap him in as well, being careful not to wake him up. I walk over to the other side and I help Junsu get strapped in. I close the car door and get into the driver’s seat. I start the car and start to drive home.

We arrive to the house. I look back and all of the boys are sleeping.

“Boys. We are home. Time to wake up. You can go to sleep inside.” The boys open their eyes slowly and start to undo their car seat straps. I get out of the car and I start to help Junseo. Junsu already managed to get himself out of his car seat by the time I was done with Junseo. I pick Junseo up and I set him down on the ground. I start to unstrap Junyoung carefully so I don’t wake him up and I pick him up. I close the car door and walk over to the other side to open the door for Junsu. Junseo and Junsu run to the front door as I close the door.

I walk over to the front door and unlock the door. I open the door and the boys run inside and into their room. I walk inside and I walk into my room. I set Junyoung down into his crib and I go to the boys’ room. I walk in to see both of the boys in their beds, sound asleep. I turn off their light and I close the door as I exit.

I walk into my room and I plop down onto my bed. I take out my phone and I see a new message from Hyunjin.

Hyunjin
Hey. How’s your morning been?

I think of what to text him back. I decide to just tell him everything that happened this morning.

You
Not good. My brothers were fighting this morning and Junseo hurt Junsu so we spent most of the morning in the ER. Junsu is fine now, he just has a couple of bandages on his head. But I will be bringing Junyoung to school with me tomorrow because I cannot afford another babysitter right now.

I look at the time and it is 3:14 PM already.

“Damn, where has the time gone?” Junyoung starts to cry right as my phone chimes, meaning Hyunjin replied. I read his text and quickly.

Hyunjin
Oh, I'm sorry. But alright, I'll bring some things for you tomorrow. I want to help out as much as possible. I am bringing my baby carrier to school just in case you want a break.

I respond to his text with:

You
BRB! Junyoung is crying! Can you just come over?

I am assuming Hyunjin will say yes. I turn off my phone and I quickly get up and I rush over to Junyoung's crib. I pick him up and I walk over to the rocking chair. I sit down and start to rock him gently.

I hear the front door open and close.

"Hyunjin? Is that you?" I continue to rock Junyoung as he fell asleep on my chest.

"Yeah! It's just me! I brought a friend along if that's ok. I thought you could use some help." Hyunjin and his friend walk into the room.

"Oh. Alright, I could always use an extra set of hands." I look at his friend and we lock eyes.

"Chaeyoung, this is Felix. Felix, this is Chaeyoung." Hyunjin introduces us to each other and then exits the room.

"Hey."