Getting To Know You

Blank Pages

It’s been a week and half since the brunette came into her bookstore and Lisa once again sat in her bookstore with literally no customers. She was also looking at the door constantly. She had no clue why she was waiting for the brunette to come in, sure she said she was coming back to talk about the book but for all Lisa knows she was just being nice, but then again she said she was traveling so maybe she wasn’t back yet which is why she hasn’t come back yet right?, either way it made time go by slowly. She tried reading but she just kept looking up at the door after reading one word, she honestly has no idea what has gotten into her but whatever it was, she didn't mind it one bit.

“Hey you waiting for something?”  The thai girl was brought back from her mind by her best friend, Jisoo.

“Sorry, what?” She asked looking away from the door. 

“You´ve been staring at the door every five minutes for the last couple of days, so I’ll ask again, are you waiting for something?” The older girl crossed her arms and leaned against the counter.

Lisa sighed as she turned around to look at her friend  “A girl came in last week...” A smile plastered on her face at the memory, which didn’t go unnoticed by Jisoo.

“Ah! does lil’ Lisa has a crush?” She nudged Lisa with a smirk on her face.

“What? No!” Lisa’s eyes widened and shook her head “I mean, she was pretty cute and her face… just wow, she came in looking for a book, I recommended one to her, and she said she’d come back to give me her opinion on it...and well it’s been a week and she hasn’t come back yet” She said, while scraping paint from the old wood counter pouting slightly.

“Just say you know wanna her dude, I’m not judging” Jisoo said chuckling and then coming to a sudden stop as she looked towards the door when the bell announced a new customer coming in.

“Woah! Okay, don't get your hopes up but a pretty brunette with cat eyes that I’ve never seen before  just walked in” She whispered, as she tried to act natural fixing papers on the counter

Lisa probably got whiplash by how fast she turned her head towards the door just then “Oh my God” she murmured. There she was the same girl of a week ago, looking around nervously clutching a box in her hands. 

“I’m guessing that’s her and okay… I get it now” Jisoo whispered behind Lisa, “Well? Are you gonna talk to her?” she gave a slight push to Lisa, which startled the thai girl but made her start walking anyways.

“Hey.” Lisa said nervously, one of her hands going behind her neck.

“Hi!” Jennie greeted back a bit of relief showing in her eyes now that she knows the pretty girl who gave her a book last week was in front of her.  “Um not sure you remember me but um...you gave me a book last week.” It was clear she was still somewhat nervous and that Lisa wasn’t alone in feeling that way as on of the girls finger was tapping nervously on the box in her hands.

“Of course I do, Jennie right?” She said as if she didn’t think about her every night. The other girl nodded in response. “I always remember the people I make deals with not that it happens often but anyways how’d you like the book?” Lisa asked smiling putting her hands in her pockets.

“Oh I loved it! It was brutally honest and so funny, yet besides the comedy some of the stories were so painfully relatable” The brunette said and Lisa notices the slight drop of her voice at that comment.

“See I told it was it was a good read, the author does a great job at approaching her self-deprecating runs by being both hilarious yet thoughtful”

“That’s right” The brunette answered and the two girls just continued to stare at each other, like in one of those rom coms where the world seems to disappear and only the two of the exist.

“Anyway…” The brunette said stopping their staring contest. “I wanted to give you something as a thanks for the book” The brunette said waiving the box she had on her hands. 

“Oh you didn’t have to get me anything, honestly it’s fine” The thai girl shook her head, yet the other girl insisted. 

“Please, just take it, it’s the least I could do” She pushed the gift on to Lisa’s hands, and the girl could help but feel goosebumps when their hands met, cliche, she knows but it still happened and it was amazing. 

Taking the gift she brought it closer to examine it and see what it was, a soft smile appearing on her lips after seeing what it was. It was a package of 5 pencils wrapped in pages from the Wizard of OZ, it was a very clever, well thought out gift, she loved it.

“I saw you wearing a Wizard of OZ shirt when I came in here for the first time, I figured this might be a good gift” The brunette said with a soft smile on her face, while the thai girl kept looking at the pencils and by the shine of her eyes, she new it was the right gift. Is it weird to give a girl you just met a gift? probably, but Jennie didn’t care, there was something about Lisa that made her throw caution out the window, as if somehow she knew she’d be safe to make the jump.

Lisa on the other hand thought ‘Holy this girl’ Not only is she beautiful and has the prettiest smile she’s ever seen, but she was also very thoughtful and she clearly paid attention to details, definitely the cutest girl.

“You assumed right, these are great, thank you” She said smiling.

“Is the least I could do, sooo I assume you must be busy so I better go” The brunette said, pulling the strap of her purse higher on her shoulder. “See you.” She said and she turned around to leave the store.

The thai girl looked back at Jisoo panicking not knowing what to do and the older girl only nudged with her head towards her and mouthed to her ‘Asked her out, you idiot!’ Lisa nodded and took a deep breath, no way she was letting her just walk away.

“Jennie wait!” 

The brunette turned back around and looked at Lisacuriously “Maybe,if you are not to busy right now you’d like to get a drink with me?” the thai girl asked, her right hand holding the pencils, while her left rubbed the back of her neck in a nervous habit.

The brunette was stunned for a second, but then a smile starting forming on her face “I’d love to” maybe her crush wasn’t just one sided.

“Great” Lisa responded a smile still in her face “Let just put this away and get my bag”

“Are you sure? Don’t you have to be here? Being the manager and all, I can’t wait for you if you do” The brunette said hurriedly.

“Its okay” She said interrupting the other girls ramble, I’m the manager, I can give myself the rest of the day” Said the thai girl smiling. 

——————————-

When they left the store is fairly early but so neither of them were hungry enough to get an early dinner or full enough to not have anything at all, so they opted for a stroll in the park, nearby the store while eating churros from Lisa’s favorite vendor.

"So why did you move here?" Lisa asked interrupting the quiet that had settled upon them, it wasn’t uncomfortable at all, but she wanted to know more about the other girl.

The brunette's head shot up, "Oh, well Im actually from Korea and I’ve been working for my dad’s company since I graduated college,but he’s retiring soon and with me being his daughter well here I am, taking over the company”

“What does you dad’s company do?” Lisa asked curiously before taking a bite of her churro.

“We are a record company RK Records you might’ve heard of it? Jennie said nonchalantly.

“What?!” Lisa said making a full stop, “You’re telling me that one of the biggest recording companies in the world is yours?” Lisa asked while almost choking on her churro “But the headquarters are in Korea, I think they had another one in NYC not Portland…I’m confused”

Jennie smiled at the surprise face the other girl had which quickly changed to one of confusion making her chuckle  “I was given the choice to work wherever I want, as long as a new clients could be located. I started in NYC but turns out wasn’t the place for me.” She shrugged. 

Lisa scoffed “So you chose a town in the middle of Oregon? You had all the countries to choose from, Italy, France, Canada and you choose Astoria as your settling place?”

"Why not?" Jennie questioned, "It's different, it’s not as loud as a big city, plus no one knows me here, fresh start you know? And I could ask the same for you, you said you went to NYU yet here you are"

"It’s different, I was raised here, I’m forced to like it here, but if you really most know, I didn’t like it, I missed it here, the quiet, nature, I missed my books, I absolutely love this place" Lisa answered, the look on her eyes telling Jennie she’s was not lying. “So tell me Jennie, how does one set up a new recording ?” Lisa was interested in knowing that, she really was, but also she just wanted to hear Jennie talk.

“Well, it’s not as easy as it seems…”

Lisa smiled, she could listen to her talk for the whole day and not get bored. She watched as the brunette went on and on about places, numbers, workers, investors...she noticed how her lips moved with every word she spoke, how her face was softly illuminated by the sun, her lashes fluttering. God It's almost like she wasn't real.

"So what do you think?" Jennie asked, snapping Lisa out of her thoughts

"Sorry?"

"Have you not been listening to me at all for the past five minutes?" Jennie said smiling.

Lisa couldn't help but feel another smile creep up her face, "You're just beautiful,"

Jennie blinked a couple of times and looked away in embarrassment, "Um… Thank you” She looked down and pushed away a strand of her hair behind her ear with a blush.

The two continued to walk around in the park, not talking,  just enjoying each other's company. Lisa would occasionally catch Jennie staring at her and the brunette would look away blushing, Lisa didn't mind the attention, in fact, she loved it, plus she was doing the same thing to Jennie, maybe she’s a hopeless romantic but there is something about the girl that’s pulling on Lisa’s heart, as if it was magnet, and Lisa well… who was she to fight it.

They turned the corner and after a few steps, they stood outside of Jennie’s house.

"This is me..." The brunette pointing at the red door from the two story house.

“Nice house” The thai girl comment, her hands on her jean pockets once again.

"Would you like to come in ?" Jennie questioned.

"It's too early for that," Lisa shook her head. “I’m nothing if not a gentlewoman” she said with a grin.

Jennie looked at Lisa and smiled, she found herself slowly leaning closer to her and obviously, this didn't go unnoticed to Lisa and she too leaned in. Their lips now centimetres away from each other, Was Jennie really going to kiss someone she has known for a day? Yes. Was she going to regret it? Deep in heart she knew she wouldn’t, perhaps it was meant to be, perhaps she was just being silly, but she was still going on for the kiss.

Soon enough their lips touched, the kiss deepening a little, Jennie’s hand behind the thai girl’s neck as she pulled her in. Lisa’s going to Jennie’s waist, pulling her close. Their lips parted and the two gasped for air.

"I'll be seeing you soon" Lisa winked at the brunette

"Oh you will"