Meeting The Parents

Blank Pages

“You were kidding about the wrestling part right?” Asked Lisa nervously as they were led towards the table where Jennie’s parents were.

The brunette haired girl nodded while covering as her shoulders shook with laughter.

“Oh I see how it is...” Lisa stopped placing her arms around Jennie’s waist tickling her.

“St...stop, Lisa!” She said with tears of laughter in her eyes.

“Not until you say sorry!” The that girl shot back

“No!”

“Yes!” Lisa said continuing her attack, Jennie trying to push Lisa’s hand away from her still laughing.

“Fine! Im sorry!” She said, and Lisa pulled away briefly from her girlfriend, giving her a small kiss.

“You better be.” They stared at each other for a couple of second before being interrupted, by someone clearing their throat.

“Jennie!” A brunette woman exclaimed she stood up with her arms wide she reached out to embrace her daughter. The that girl stepped back as the two family members hugged, silently standing still.

Jennie’s mom was gorgeous, she could see where her girlfriend got it from. Long brunette hair, cat eyes. Yep Jennie definitely got good genes.

“Mom!”

“I’m so glad you could make it,” she said. “Your father was doubting you’d ever come.”

Jennie rolled her eyes. “Yeah, sorry we were a bit late. We lost track of time.”

“Oh I believe we haven’t been properly introduced. Elizabeth Kim.” she said as she held her hand out to the that girl, who shook it.

“It’s lovely to meet you, Mrs. Kim”

“You can call me Liz!, So you must be the infamous Lisa I’ve heard so much about.”

Jennie blushed and cleared when her girlfriend glanced at her with an amused look in her eyes. “Oh? What exactly has she told you? All good things I hope” She said with a relaxed smile.

“Ah, quite a bit. She seems to absolutely adore you,” Liz drawled out, staring at her embarrassed daughter. Lisa smirked at her. “And from what I’ve heard, there are reasons to. You seem like quite the fine lady, Lisa.”

This time it was the that girl’s turn to blush, never one to take a compliment.

“Um...thank you, Mrs. Kim...Liz. I mean...Liz.” Lisa said awkwardly.

Turning to her right she saw a less friendly face looking at her, judging by the brown eyes that resembled her girlfriends she assumed that was her father.

She tentatively approached him with an outstretched arm. “Hello Mr. Kim . I’m Lalisa Manoban. I’m… uh… dating your daughter.”

Mr. Kim glanced at her hand before saying, “You were late, let’s take a seat.” He said as he ed his blazer and sat down

Lisa looked at Jennie with an unsure expression, receiving an apologetic look from her girlfriend. Lisa pulled Jennie’s chair for her before sitting down on her own, the brunette reaching for the thai girl’s hand intertwining their fingers once they were both sitting down.

“Oh Mr. and Mrs. Kim, this place it’s amazing, I’ve only been here a couple of times, but I can guarantee the food here is great.” Lisa said.

Liz smiled. “Let’s hope you are right, so far the place looks beautiful.”

Mr. Kim on the other hand kept his blank face looking at the menu unamused.

“Come on, you’re seriously not going to keep that expression the whole dinner, are you?.” Liz scolded her husband, nudging him a little with her leg below the table.

“I know you’re protective dad but you can still smile.” Jennie said, getting his attention. “For me?”

Mr. Kim rolled his eyes but he’d do anything for his daughter’s, his lips curled upwards. “Fine.”

“Thank you.” Jennie said.

--------------------------------------

“So, Lisa, Jennie tells me you’re originally from Thailan?” asked Liz looking at the that girl with curious eyes.

“Uh, yes.” Lisa answered after swallowing her pasta. “I was born in Thailand, but my parents moved here when I was 3. Um they got divorced a year after moving, so I stayed here with my mom, until I was about 13, then I moved back to Thailand with my dad and finally came back here when I was 17.” Jennie place her hand on the girl’s tight under the table for comfort, knowing her parents divorce was a sensitive topic for her girlfriend.

“What was it like there?” Liz asked, pushing back a strand of hair behind her ear. It made Lisa smile internally. So that’s where Jennie’s cute mannerism originated.

“It was...nice” Lisa responded. “Thailand’s weather is pretty hot, you know? What it being a tropical place, but it also has a variety of landscapes, we have wooded mountains and tropical beaches, the natural beauty is breathtaking you know? Thailand has it all.” She said with a soft smile.

Jennie was looking at her girlfriend completely lost in her, there was something about Lisa talking about things she loved that was incredible, even if it was a small sentence you could feel and hear how much she loved it, whether it was books or in this case her homeland. The brunette takes a mental note to check her schedule, seems a trip to Thailand was due.

“Did your mother stay here?” Asked the brunette’s mother.

“No, she uh… moved back there when I left for college.”

“Ah, it must be hard to be away from home.”

“At times yeah, but then you meet people that make up for that you know? like your family away from home.” She said softly, reaching to take Jennie’s hand from the table and looking at her with a smile.

“Ahem, ladies.” Mr. Kim’s voice boomed suddenly, alerting everyone at the table.

“Yes, Mr. Kim?”

“How about we save the romantics for later, hm?” He stated, looking back and forth between his beloved princess and the meddler that dared to ask her daughter in marriage. Well maybe not now but from the phone calls it seemed Jennie was indeed head over heels for this girl.

“Yes, Mr. Kim.”

Liz rolled her eyes. She should’ve figured her husband would not be easy to deal with.

“What did you major in?” Asked Mr. Kim seriously. Jennie could only role her eyes ‘Here we go’ she mumbled to herself.

“English Literature” Answered Lisa equally as serious.

“What college?”

“NYU”

“Scholarship?”

“Yes, sir. Full ride.”

“Job?”

“Bookstore owner. We do book restorations too.”

“You opened up the bookstore yourself?”

“No, it was passed on to me by my mentor.”

“Mmm… given to you?” Mr. Kim said somewhat disappointingly.

“Dad.” Said Jennie as a warning.

“Your parents, what do they do?”

“They were both chefs.”

“Mmm…” Was all he said. “I’m stepping out for a smoke, care to join me Lalisa?”

“Dad. Lisa you don’t have to go.” Said Jennie knowing how her father could be when left alone.

Lisa only stared at Mr. Kim and nodded, anything to prove she was worthy of dating Jennie. “It’s fine, love.” she said giving her a kiss in the temple and getting up.

“You know when you first came in and she was tickling you, I haven’t seen you laugh like that in a long time.” Liz said, lips turned up after both her husband and Lisa walked away. “You look happy.”

“She makes me happy, mom.” Said Jennie with a soft smile.

----------------

“You know I haven’t seen my daughter smile that much for a long time.” Said Mr. Kim, lighting up her smoke.

“I like making her smile, sir.” Lisa answered sincerely, rejecting the smoke Mr. Kim was offering her, and placing her hand on the pockets of her slacks.

“My daughter hasn’t had an easy life and I admit I haven’t been the best father. Her love life hasn’t been easy either.” He continued.

“I know, sir. She has told me.” Lisa nodded.

“She told you?” Mr. Kim asked surprised. “She usually never talks about it, but if you know about it, then you know why I’m wary about anyone getting close to her.”

“I do sir, and I need you to know I will never treat your daughter that way, I love her and I will never ever place a hand on her, all I want is for her to be happy whether that’s with or without me.” She said seriously. “I’m lucky enough that she chose me to make her happy and I will never take her for granted.”

Mr. Kim nodded pensively finishing his cigarette, he then turned to Lisa and held out his hand. “As long as you and I are on the same page, we will have no problems.”

Lisa nodded and shook Mr. Kim’s hand feeling calm for the first time in the night.

---------------------------------------------

The rest of the night goes great, Mr. Kim started joking around with Lisa, even providing input on some of her puns, and Jennie, Jennie felt static about it, the love of her life and her parents are getting along, her dad of all people warming up to Lisa, it was a big deal, seeing as he never liked anyone she ever dated, but Lisa was special that way.

Both pairs walked out of the restaurant together towards the parking lot, ready to call it a night. Jennie looping her arm with Lisa’s walking impossibly close together, Lisa’s blazer on Jennie’s shoulders as the thai girl ever the gentlewoman gave it to her after filling the chilly air of the night when they walked out.

She’s about to say something ask if Lisa wants some of her coffee, or if it’d be too cheesy for her kiss her senselessly as a thank you for charming her parents, as a thank you for being her; something simple and inconsequential when she suddenly feels the air out her lungs as the one person she didn’t think she would see again started walking towards them.

“Kai.”