Some Days in Summer Four Years Ago

Last Night | #TeukChul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


    I stopped mid-way to the train station. A pair of pink sneakers disarrayed in midst of a busy sidewalk quickly got my attention. It doesn’t look like someone just purposely left it there so I looked around to check if there’s anyone around playing but everyone else were walking past me, eager to reach their destination. The sneakers were torn on the sole but it looks like it can still be used. In the middle of that busy street, I took my time to pick up the sneakers and placed it carefully on one of the benches along the walkway. I just hope the owner will see it if they decided to come back for it. 
    With the heat and exhaustion overriding my body, I slowly sat down on the bench and watched people pass by. The trees were all swaying with the cool wind despite the harsh rays of the sun. The sound of the bustling city and hundreds of shoes thumping on to the heated ground warmed me. Can I just skip today’s work and enjoy this bright summer day? I looked at the time and saw that I still have time to cancel today’s class for synthesis.  I sent out a text message to the faculty secretary telling her to cancel the class. Inside my head, I can hear indistinct voices of groans and relief from the students who barely made it to the class this morning. The week had been hellish in the academe since the dean announced her retirement. Deadlines were moved to a sooner date, follow-ups for research approval, and a lot of unfinished political businesses were flying in the air. I closed my eyes and listened to my surroundings. Engines, honks, clicking of stilettos, inaudible chatter of a passing civilian, and two different high-pitched voices bickering about a pair of sneakers.
    I opened my eyes and saw two little girls. One was wearing a pink shirt with a shiny pony and black leggings, the other wearing yellow sundress filled with white stripes. The latter looked more like the owner of the sneakers I put on my side.
    “Why did you leave it here?” Instead of actually looking for the shoes, they were just standing there, trying to figure out their problem. They were so close to me but they hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter