Chapter 16

Academy of the Lonely

 

The thoughts about what Jennie had done and with whom bothered her all day long despite her efforts to evade the replaying scenes and sensations which had felt almost real due to the freshness of these memories.

It all had vanished, however, the second the object of her internal restlessness stood in front of her with never before seen comfy clothes.


The dark beige t-shirt she wore must’ve been from the Academy for its logo was plastered in the center of it with brief precision while the flag of their country adorned the short sleeves at either side. The most surprising part were the black sweatpants which hung loosely on her waist. She’d always seen Lisa with more or less formal clothes, with her impeccable uniform which never seemed to have a single wrinkle.


If it weren’t for the fact that Jennie had been taken aback by Lisa even though she’d been preparing to see her all the while on the ride, she would’ve found it funny how, despite her causal clothes, her pony tail was just as strict as always – with strands of hair lying systematically above her eyes.


Jennie still stood in front of the door which had been slammed shut minutes ago as she waited for her shock to subdue and sort whatever feelings she felt at the moment.

Regardless of the slight anger she felt for Lisa’s harshness, another emotion was prevalent which made no sense at all to the brunette.


Jennie started to pace back and forth on the porch, having thought about leaving and go after Rosie and Jisoo for at least three times. Her thoughts kept racing back to all these unwanted images until Jennie stopped resisting.


Quickly, she went to the door with determined steps and rung the bell, her black painted nail grazing over the surface as the inner turmoil started to emerge from within.


When Lisa opened the door again with delay, Jennie bolted inside without another word with an intrigued soldier looking after her while closing the door.


“You know what?” Jennie started as she whipped her body around to face Lisa, who immediately noticed the change in Jennie’s demeanor. Where there had been uncertainty before, there’s now fierceness. That display was not positively contributing to Lisa’s resolution to stay away from the source of her weakness and stand strong and proud.


“I have every right to freak out!” Lisa clearly hadn’t expected Jennie to get riled up like this in this short matter of time. Moreover, she had never seen her like that before.

Her sudden outburst made the soldier react slowly – she needed a moment to process the sudden confrontation. Normally, it was the brunette who would’ve fled the scene right away at this topic and now she was purposefully pushing it.


“And why aren’t you?” Jennie stemmed her hands into her hips and the eyes which barely could hold her gaze minutes ago, were now bravely staring right into hers. Her gaze was almost accusing, as if she wanted her to freak out as well.


Lisa took her sweet time to dissect her words and think of a good answer. But it was difficult to concentrate after she could now see clearly how Jennie looked like.

Her make-up accentuated her sharp eyes perfectly and amplified their effect. Her lips were red although it seemed as if the intensity of it got weaker as the evening with the girls had drug on. The white crop top stood in stark contrast with the black tight jeans which reached over her navel.

She was bigger now though due to her wearing high heels in this time of the year.


Lisa couldn’t argue though, it fitted her and made her overall appearance even more alluring.


Despite a heavy and long jacked hanging around her shoulders, Lisa could still see the patch of her bared midriff and the sudden want to feel her skin again was almost overwhelming.


“Why should I?” Lisa, ignoring the surge of her blood, asked with such nonchalance that Jennie couldn’t help but feel deflated. She didn’t let herself be swayed that easily though.


“Why?” she repeated Lisa’s question exasperatedly. “We are both girls!”


As the words left and could finally break free, the feeling from before settled into her with much more force, pressuring her to question this argumentation.

Jennie, however, didn’t want to admit or accept yet that this was not the reason she behaved like that.


“I noticed as much,” Lisa deadpanned which caused Jennie to raise her brows in astonishment momentarily. The fact that the soldier wasn’t fazed at all secretly amazed the brunette.


“You never minded it though,” Lisa started to leave her place at the door and took deliberately slow steps toward Jennie, who in turn gulped at that sight – she hadn’t anticipated this scenario at all.

Lisa’s expression was so calm but the soldier was so unpredictable it heightened all of her senses and her heart reacted accordingly. Instinctively she took some steps back until she felt the wall touching her back.


“Only in the aftermath,” she was now in front of her and towered over her despite their eyes almost being aligned because of the high heels, bathing in the visible effect she right now had on her.

Lisa’s voice was deep and calm. Her eyes, however, were dark and dilated – consumed by the thought of feeling Jennie’s warmth beneath her fingertips.


Lisa watched as Jennie opened just to close it right after. She eventually averted her gaze and slightly shook her head with a nervous, almost incredulous chuckle as nothing reasonable to counter came into her mind.


The soldier grew impatient and came unconsciously closer to the quiet girl, whose eyes were now frantically searching hers.


She lifted her left hand while wholly focusing on these enticing eyes and searched the wall for a light switch.


Jennie grasped audibly when after a click sound they were plunged into darkness which captured the corridor.


“What are you..?” Jennie’s breathing grew heavier as she was overwhelmed and slightly intimidated. Time and time again she went into the lion’s den, expecting not to get eaten – or maybe that was exactly what she secretly wanted.


Lisa lowered her head slightly and felt the heat which Jennie’s body radiated close to her face. Everything within her trembled and she could barely pull herself together.

She wanted Jennie – she wanted her so bad.


“If I were to kiss you, would you resist?”

 

 

~~~

 

 

Jisoo and Rosé were taking a walk in the middle of the night, walking around the quiet and peaceful neighborhood. Jisoo was enjoying the time spent alone with Rosé a lot, and even though she loved to talk, the comfortable silence engulfing them casted a certain spell on her.

It was something she didn’t dare cutting through with her voice.


After they continued to watch the houses they passed, Rosé commenced a conversation at last.


“Do you think they’ll make up?” Rosé asked absentmindedly as she was now kicking whatever appeared on their way to nowhere. The alcohol was quick to wear off in the crisp cold surrounding them.


“Maybe.., I don’t know. Jennie kinda acts weird,” Jisoo linked her arm with Rosé’s as nonchalantly as she could, hoping the conversation would distract the bright blonde enough to not give it much thought.


“Really? I didn’t notice anything,”


“After I picked her up from their tutoring lesson, she was so nervous and fiddling with her hands all the time. At school she always spaces out, I don’t know,” Jisoo recalled the past months she’d gotten to know her, trying to remember a time where she acted similarly to now.

But no matter how deep she dug, she couldn’t find anything.


Both girls had hit it off right away, as if they’d been sisters from two different families, finally united again. She hadn’t been a closed off person to her, but now Jennie always tried to avoid questions about her recent behavior.


After a short pause where both girls were deep in thought, Rosé realized something.


“Lisa is acting weird, too,”


“She’s always acting weird, acting all distanced and arrogant, as if she’d rule this place,” Jisoo grimaced at the thought of the soldier. There was something about her that irked the brunette.


Maybe it was her profession.


Jisoo didn’t know and didn’t care but found herself confronted with her way too often.


However, she had to give at least a little credit to her for having saved Jennie from those disgusting jerks at that party.


“Hey,” Rosé reprimanded the other girl and elbowed her lightly, “she has a good heart, she just doesn’t know how to show it,”


Her face contorted with rarely furrowed brows, her expression grew thoughtful and sad.


“Soldiers don’t have a heart,” Jisoo retorted without much thought and ultimately upset Rosé even more.


In an abrupt manner, her steps halted and she unhooked her arm out of the brunette’s hold.


“Lisa is a good person! Just because she has difficulties in expressing herself doesn’t make her heartless,”


Rosé’s response stunned Jisoo, the loss of body contact already painfully noted. Her eyes grew wide since she’d never before seen the cute and bubbly girl so serious and angry.


An uncomfortable feeling, driving over her skin and piercing through it, was felt by her.


Jennie apparently cared a lot for her and now even Rosé was defending Lisa like that? That was too much for her right now.


“Just what is it with you guys and Lisa?” she asked outragedly and with venom, gesturing wildly with her arms.


“She’s so cold all the time and yet..,” it was a mystery to her just what her friends were seeing in that girl.


The bright blonde began to shake her head in a disapprovingly manner, fed up with Jisoo’s behavior and her hurting words. She looked into her genuinely incredulous eyes before she her heels to walk away.


But she was spun around immediately after.


“Don’t tell me you have a crush on her?”


Bewilderment settled on Rosé’s face and she just couldn’t believe it. Couldn’t believe how that sweet and hilarious girl could act so mean and jealous right now.


“That’s enough!”


More needn’t to be said for Jisoo to let go of her hold on Rosé’s wrist. Helplessly, she watched as Rosé walked back without giving her the chance to say what she wanted to.

 

 

~~~

 

“I..,” Jennie’s voice was quiet albeit firm despite herself. She let the sentence trail off without a fixed meaning attached to it, unable to suppress the longing for more which had quickly accumulated in her body and caught her. It was thrilling.


The soldier wasn’t much disappointed with Jennie yet again not being able to be clear and unambiguous. On the contrary, her ambiguous answer gave her a little bit of power, a little bit of dignity back.

Jennie might’ve had toyed with her, used her, but it wasn’t her who was cornering the soldier and having the complete control over the situation.

It was Lisa and she closed her eyes momentarily at a rush of arousal as Jennie’s sweet fragrance hit her. Her adjusted eyes could now make out the sharp edges of her eyes staring right back at her.


Without breaking the eye contact, Lisa lifted her hands and brought them to Jennie’s jacket, grabbing it and sliding it gently off of her shoulders without encountering any resistance.


Lisa could feel that something within Jennie must’ve switched for her demeanor was more confident now.


With a small thud the jacket slid off Jennie’s arms and landed on the floor, revealing the tight long-sleeved crop top. Jennie felt a shiver creeping over her body at the loss of the warm blanket around her shoulders.

“What makes you think you can do however you please?” She was daring and challenging, tilting her head. Her voice was like honey – smooth, sweet yet seducing to Lisa’s ears.


“Who said I’ll do so?” Not knowing where it was coming from, but suddenly Lisa was flooded with the certainty that Jennie wanted her, too. That she felt this attraction – she must’ve felt it.


There in the darkness she felt safe, with unspoken words and hidden feelings laying covered. That was the only place both of them could unfold.


“It was a hypothetical question earlier,” the soldier looked intently into her eyes and tried to filter any reaction within them despite the darkness.


“Of course,” Jennie said rather neutrally while Lisa could clearly make out her now furrowed brows.


“Ask me,” Lisa then said as she couldn’t withstand at last the need to put her hands unto her waist. Purposefully, she placed them on the part where Jennie’s jeans covered her waist, knowing fully well that she couldn’t handle touching her directly like that.


“Ask you what?” Jennie placed her hands unto Lisa’s in a weak attempt to remove them, but at the slightest effort to do so, she stopped trying and placed hers instead on Lisa’s arms.


“If I would resist you,” the words spoken so directly and firmly elicited something within Jennie. Paired with the hands on her waist, she knew she was running low on reluctance.


At that Jennie had to giggle quietly, thinking to know the answer.


“So?” she played along and asked, “would you?”


There was still a small glimmer of amusement in her eyes but it turned dull when Lisa answered in all seriousness, “Yes,”


It was the whole truth and nothing that had happened that day and this evening was something Lisa planned or calculated with.


Jennie had left her in pieces for reasons the soldier couldn’t quite grasp yet. Even now, she was so attracted to the brunette with each of her cells screaming for her touch and attention.


But it didn’t make her forget who she was – who she was born to be.


She couldn’t keep undermining it for the sake of what exactly?


Jennie was elusive and consuming.


Her hold on Lisa’s arms loosened significantly as she tried to piece her answer and actions together. It was in this moment that she saw the conflict in Lisa’s eyes, the hesitation, doubts.


Even though they never admitted it to one another, Jennie felt somehow lighter having seen this kind of vulnerability.


“Don’t,” she whispered so suddenly as she reached out to cradle Lisa’s cheek. Deeply she looked into Lisa’s confused eyes as her hand started to caress her cheek and the healed wound beneath her eye.


“Screw it,” she hissed under her breath before Jennie went in and finally connected her lips with Lisa’s secretly starving ones.


The soldier was completely toppled with the turn which took place in the matter of some seconds.


It just took less than a minute for the soldier to throw all caution to the wind.


She succumbed yet again. And at this point Lisa was sure she would do it each and every time because the moments where Jennie’s lips pressed against hers were the only times where she felt raw bliss.


She encircled her waist and let her hands wander for the first time over the bared section of Jennie’s toned stomach and enjoyed the feeling immediately while Jennie’s warm hands started to cradle her neck.

 
The kiss was soft and delicate even though Lisa’s body was on fire and urged her to satisfy her craving for more. Her hands drew over the expanse of her to her shoulder blades to pulled her even closer to her.


Jennie tilted her head to deepen the kiss and Lisa was in heaven. But it wasn’t enough – she wanted to be unrecognizably entangled with her body.


Lisa pulled away and captured her hand. She didn’t wait for Jennie’s questioning look, she just pulled her with her, but they were stopped in their tracks after knocks could be heard not far from them.


Jennie startled from the sudden interruption and let go of Lisa’s hand in the process. The soldier, on the other side, was pissed.

Whatever they just had – she knew – it was now broken.


“Chaeyoung?” Lisa asked as normal as she could after she’d opened the door. But the girl didn’t answer and flew into her arms instead, feeling as Lisa surrendered to it after some moments and reciprocated it.


Jennie cleared and caught Rosé’s attention who eventually peeled herself off of the soldier.


“Where’s Jisoo?”


“I don’t know, home maybe,” Rosé evaded Jennie’s quizzical look and asked before anyone could speak up, “Let’s smoke?”


Due to Rosé being primarily occupied with the accusation Jisoo had hurled into her direction, she didn’t notice the slightly flushed faces of both girls and the fact that the apartment was completely dark.


Lisa watched as Rosé already went on the front porch to light her cigarette while Jennie went inside to scramble her jacket off the ground. The cold air gave Lisa the opportunity to think clear again.


Think about what a strange evening it truly was.


She’d let Jennie waltz into her apartment as if the pain, the humiliation, the anger were nothing but a bad dream, having no roots in reality. And even now these emotions seemed so far away with the dampness of Jennie’s lips still lingering on hers.


“Lisa?” Jennie caught the soldier’s attention with her slightly raspy voice as she looked back in silent reassurance to join them. Wordlessly she pulled over her heavy leather coat and left the door slightly ajar before she went over to them.


“Can anybody spare me one?” Lisa asked after she tightened the belt of her coat.


“Here,” Jennie answered with an unlit cigarette clasped between her teeth and Lisa couldn’t suppress the thought of finding that sight very appealing.


Lisa took the cigarette without hesitancy despite not having smoked ever since the accident. After all she’d inhaled a whole pack and thought her break of it would last longer.


“So, you two made up?” Jennie’s brows involuntarily gave away her surprise at the sudden attention to the two of them. Rosé’s tone was so different.


“Uh..,” Jennie looked over to Lisa who in turn gave her an ambiguous look. They did make up, didn’t they?


“Yes,” Jennie answered at last but Rosé seemed to be bothered by something else since she barely acknowledged them making up even though she was the one who pushed them together to do so with passion.


“And what happened with you and Jisoo?” the brunette tipped the burnt ash off her cigarette and kept her focus on the girl while she noticed how close Lisa was standing to her.


“I think we just drank too much,” Rosé struggled to lie and it showed, but both girls decided to keep mum about it. Albeit Jennie’s reasons to do so differed from Lisa’s.


Jennie had seen the nervous glances towards the soldier and recalled the way she’d hugged Lisa after returning.


Whatever it was, she didn’t like it one bit.


After the conversation died down with all of them being deeply engrossed by their thoughts, the bright blonde finished her cigarette and spoke up.


“I already called a taxi, are you ready?”


Jennie’s eyes alternated between the two girls and even though she didn’t know yet why and if Lisa even wanted her to, spoke on its own.

 

 

“I’ll stay here tonight,”