A Piece Of The Puzzle

The Rise Of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What's this?" Jin asked with brows all furrowed after he opened the metal container that carried the blood sample Aris just gave him. 

"That's blood," Aris answered nonchalantly as he leaned to the free space of Jin's chaotic countertop inside the lab. 

"Thanks for stating what's obvious." He rolled his eyes on him earning the taller guy's soft chuckles. "What I mean is what's so special with this that you want me to have it tested... and what kind tests should I run? But more importantly, what do I get out of this?" His eyes squinted at the last question, leaning on the same counter, copying Aris's position.

The colonel told him to keep everything a secret as he is still unsure of what he had observed om tonight's events. Jin already received the gist of what happened through the confidential e-mail from the brigadier-general which had this advance microbiologist confused. Nevertheless, Aris had already asked him favors a few times already so he just rolls with it.

"That is the blood of the person that attracted an Anomaly..." Aris revealed, making Jin's eyes wide in utter surprise and excitement, "For real?!" Jin asked, looking at the syringe again with the same expression.

"Not really an Anomaly but a class 2 transfiguring to a class 3. It has its eyes locked on that person even if I was there. Plus, the ghouls behaved quite unusually ever since that the person in question was out the field. What I want you to find out is if there's anything special in that blood... run a few tests or experiments, will you?" Aris stated, looking at the other's eyes intently and sternly. 

"Sure... I mean, it's my job. But, why the secrecy? I mean, it's easier to run tests if the top brass knows this. I'm also gonna need a blood sample from the ghoul in question and it's easier and much faster to extract a sample if everybody is tasked to do it." Jin retorted back as he takes the syringe out of the container. 

"I'm gonna give you what you need. Just... keep this between us for now until I'm sure. Informing the top brass will make everything complicated in that person's life and you and both know how that feels like, right?"

"Ha! Those ing loons afraid to get themselves out there." Jin scoffs, shaking his head at the same time but he stopped so suddenly, brow-raising as he leans again, "But most importantly, Aris... what can you give me in return?"

Aris then stood straight before crossing his arms upon his chest, "Depends on what you want..." he answers. 

A smirk then grew on Jin's lips before he also stood up straight, "... introduce me to Irene Bae... please?"

Aris' expression changed from blank to disappointment. He thought it would be something challenging. 

"Doctor Bae Irene is always out the field... how can I do that?" Aris scoffed.

"Why are you asking me? I'm not the colonel here? And you said you're gonna give me what I need." Jin complained, pitch climbing higher as he gets flustered.  

"I'll see what I can do... It'll be easier if you're out on the field with me as well." Aris finally smiles.

"You know I can't fight. I don't want to be a drag to anyone." The other guy shrugs. 

"Too bad... she's attracted to men who can defend themselves... and her, of course." Aris' smile grew into a smirk seeing how Jin's ears grew bright red in embarrassment, but the guy was surprised to hear the info.

"She does?" 

"Well, what do you think? She's always on the field. Of course, she needs someone to protect her. And wait... I heard she's looking for a partner... I can try and put on a good word for you..." 

"Yeah, sure... make me look good and if she finds out I've been stuck in this lab for years instead of observing the destruction the virus caused, my chances would sink to zero again." Jin retorted back.

"That's why I'm telling you to get some fresh air." Aris replied before sighing, "Anyway, I'll see what I can do regarding the good doctor and you call me if you find anything with that blood, okay? I need to go, errands to do." 

"Yeah, yeah I'll call you." Jin rolled his eyes then Aris pats his back as a goodbye.

 

----

 

"BAAAAANNNNGG!!"

Chaeyoung jumped at the sudden loud shot. She then felt something warm splattering over the side of her arm and on her cheek followed by a loud thud on the floor. Her clutch against his shirt tightened but she notices how this boy catches sharp breaths while trembling at the same time.

"We need to go... we're n-not safe here..." the boy stammers, nudging the little girl's arm that's around his waist. 

She slowly flutters her eyes open and beyond the darkness, she saw something laying on the floor face down. Her eyes then travel to her arm, eyes squinting on the liquid that had splattered on her. She wasn't sure but the darkness made it seem that it's colored black. 

However, the boy held her arm harshly to pull her up, not realizing that he had already stood up. He then lifted her up and held her tightly as they yet again escape the place but her gaze was fixed on the body laying on the floor. 

She was too young but she knew this boy just killed that man. 

When they run past by a lampost, Chaeyoung noticed that the liquid that on her arm was red and not black and instantly, her eyes widened at the same time she inhales deeply before she...

"BAAAANNNGG!!" 

Chaeyoung's eyes shoot wide open and dart her gaze on her door, "Specialist, Chaeyoung Park?" Someone called from behind the door. She then snaps her head to the direction of her clock which she read softly, "5 am..." She then sighed, finally peeling her back from the comfort of her bed, brushing her long hair with her fingers before opening her door. 

"Yes?" She answered, peeking at the slightly opened door only to be greeted by three chevrons on the man's shoulder. 

Her eyes widened and she quickly opened the door widely before saluting, "Sargeant, Sir."

The man smiled before telling. "At ease, soldier. I'm Kim Hanbin. I'm under Colonel Aris Park's brigade and I'm here to deliver your uniform and communicator exclusive for us. Please be ready by 06:00 and rendezvous at the east gate. You're officially assigned by the colonel to join our team to investigate last night's eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter